Sunday, December 2, 2007

KU to play Virginia Tech in Orange Bowl on Jan. 3

Reader poll

What do you think will be the most competitive BCS game?

• Orange Bowl (KU vs. VT) 42% 1573 votes
  • Sugar Bowl (UGA vs. Hawaii) 8% 306 votes
  • Rose Bowl (USC vs. Illinois) 3% 130 votes
  • Fiesta Bowl (OU vs. WV) 26% 984 votes
  • Title Game (LSU vs. tOSU) 19% 727 votes

3720 total votes.

An 11-1 regular season in the end proved to be enough to earn KU a bid in a BCS bowl game for the first time in school history. The Jayhawks will face ACC champion Virginia Tech on Jan. 3 in Miami, Fla., in the Orange Bowl. This will be KU's third trip to the Orange Bowl, having played there in 1948 - a 20-14 loss to Georgia Tech - and 1969 - a 15-14 loss to Penn State.

Virginia Tech, who won in Saturday's ACC title game 30-16 over Boston College, enters the showdown with KU at 11-2 and has won five straight games since a 14-10 letdown at home to BC on Oct. 25. VT's only other loss was a 48-7 loss in the season's second week to LSU, who will face Ohio State in the BCS National Championship game.

KU and Virginia Tech have never faced. This will be VT's third appearance in a BCS game, having played in the Sugar Bowl in 2000 and 2005 - losing both.

For more on this story, including reactions from KU coach Mark Mangino and players, read tomorrow's Journal-World and log back onto KUSports.com.

Comments

dbgjayhawk 7 years ago

heck yes, i just got tickets to the game along with my family. this is going to be the best christmas ever. i can't wait to meet up with all the ku fans down in florida. i've been living in razorback country and i'm getting tired of everyone talking about the hogs.

CaramelMacchMan 7 years ago

Orange.... mmmm how ironic... i'm drinking orange juice right now/.......

Mangino_Maniac 7 years ago

Bring on da Hokies!!! Way to go KU!!!

William James 7 years ago

sevenyearhawk predicted over a year ago that we would be in a BCS bowl before we got to our next final four! I thought he was nuts! I was wrong.

MUCK FIZZOU

landon_2003 7 years ago

i hope we stomp the s*** out of them and whenever we get the chance....rub it in mzzou's face. rock chalk baby! by the way...lsu doesn't deserve the title game. it's sec biased.

Drew Alan 7 years ago

go KU! and that isn't irony... that's coincidence.

I LOVE this matchup for us!

Jeffery Barrett 7 years ago

I have never in my life looked forward to going to work on Monday morning.....until now.....Both of my bosses & their loser sons are MU grads & huge fans......can't wait to wear my Rock Chalk shirt and see the looks on their faces!!!

William James 7 years ago

SEC is the best conference in case you missed last years bowl games and national title. The Ohio State is gonna get creamed again.

jman18562 7 years ago

KU gets the last laugh baby! Muck Mizzou!

beakemhawks 7 years ago

Hawks Hawks Hawks Hawks Hawks.

Going to be a sad day for Misery fans tomorrow.

ROCK CHALK!!!!!!

johnballa 7 years ago

As much as I love Mizzou fans being devestated.. would anyone like to explain to me why we got it over them? How does the 3rd best team in the Big 12 get a BCS Bowl?

The title game should be : OSU vs. OU.... by the way

William James 7 years ago

11-1 is better than 11-2. Especially when one of those 2 losses is a blowout. I dont know what you are talking about because Mizzou didnt get a BCS Bowl.

Dirk Medema 7 years ago

That should be a great matchup. Hopefully, the game at Arrowhead will have the 'Hawks game prepped for BCS speed, and the month will get the players completely healed.

VaTech will have one the best D we've seen, though not nearly as much O as some of the other teams.

Rock Chalk!

Andrew Juby 7 years ago

Short and simple, johnballa? They lost more recently than we did. I'm not saying it makes sense, but it is what it is.

halogenlamps 7 years ago

Seriosuly, what I don't get is how a two loss team can vault over 2 one loss teams ranked ahead of them to get to the national title game. The BCS is crap, and it is absolutely time for it to go.

KGphoto 7 years ago

All I know is, I just watched the BCS selection show and NOBODY could agree on who was the best team... the second, third, fourth etc.

That tells me the only way to figure out the best team in the country is to have a playoff. End of story.

Big money bastards will continue attempting to control this mess, but the conventional wisdom will always point back to a playoff.

And now... a month without college football. Thx.

drum1984 7 years ago

Orange Bowl...and we screwed Mizzou. Could not ask for a better football season.

goldlighting 7 years ago

Well, past history dictated Misery's bowl future, you lose in the conference championship (and they lost badly) you do not go to a BCS bowl. Never has and never will, seems to be a rule or something.

kc_wildfire 7 years ago

Actually only 20 days until the Poinsettia Bowl...Utah vs. Navy :)

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

Its official. Lee Corso is my number one most despised person in the national media. Thought he was going to fall off his high chair when they announced the Orange Bowl. Seriously, what does this guy have against us. We must have pissed him off somewhere along the way.

shelleysue 7 years ago

Well Misery screwed themselves by losing to OU twice, including the thumping they took last night. KU always gets MU's best of best games because of the rivalry but in Lawrence, MU probably would have lost that game too, and everyone knows it. So they probably didn't look all that great at this point.

And you know - the Jayhawks have GREAT fans and they've had a dream season so both could have been selling points. Plus there are some incredible players on the team and the team as a whole is very special.

I'm going to be honet. Seeing the Missouri fans, players and Pinkel watch their hopes and dreams go down the toilet was priceless. They all looked like they were going to puke - and I loved every minute of it This is sweet redemption.

I know the Jayhawks are going to be ready to end the season on a winning note. I look forward to the game. Good luck guys and thanks for a GREAT season!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!

nicka 7 years ago

Looks like even the Orange Bowl Selection Committee hates mizzou. Can you blame them?

BigTamale 7 years ago

For some reason i could only drink orange juice this morning at breakfast...I couldn't figure out why.

Now I know why.

jprich 7 years ago

Actually goldlighting, remember when KSU creamed OU in the Big XII title game just a couple years ago, yet the Sooners still played in the NC against USC? Got creamed there too.

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

7year, you can rest easy now. Your dinner reservation has been cancelled.

Linda Daxon 7 years ago

Getting a BSC bowl this year doesn't completely make up for getting shut out of any bowl last year, but it helps! ...I was at the 1969 Orange Bowl as a freshman. KU arranged a student package for only $250 -- airfare, rooms and game tickets. Didn't realize it would take us so long to get back! Thanks Mangino and team for getting us there! Go Hawks!!!!!!

TwistedFish31 7 years ago

Now we just need to get thousands of Jayhawkers down there to see the game! WHAT A YEAR!!!

jyhawksean 7 years ago

Do you guys think Mizzou will accept an invitation to the Green Thumb Booger Bowl?

kulphie 7 years ago

IM SOOOO HAPPPY! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!! I WORK IN CHICAGO AND HAVE A MIZZOU COWORKER! UMHAHAHA~ ALSO THE PEOPLE ON MY TEAM ARE HATERS, CANT WAIT TO BUST OUT A NICE PICTURE OF THE ORANGE BOWL!!

drwho127 7 years ago

p>www.ticketreserve.com for KU game tickets to the orange bowl. you buy the right to reserve a ticket for face value price... it explains it all there on the site.

fivemog 7 years ago

I hate to say it...but for those who were so adamant that MU must win to get KU in the BCS...I told you so. We needed OU to win BIG and they did. Thank god that MU will not be able to go on the recruiting trail talking about winning the Big XII and playing for a National Championship. Rock Chalk Jayhawk...see you all on the beach!

thare 7 years ago

mmmmmmm. I do love oranges! I'll be cheering here in Washington DC. Go Hawks!

afilmer 7 years ago

great job hawks - i couldn't be prouder of the gridiron boys. let's close the orange bowl down in style right?

we'll rename it the crimson bowl.

see y'all there.

JayhawkinMaryland 7 years ago

fivemog has it exactly right, I am so glad Mizzou lost. i didn't care if it would have dropped us anyways, i'm just happy to see the tiggers humiliated. now they can't say they won the big XII title and play for a national title!

also, all my pals out here in Maryland hate VT, so they're backing KU all the way baby!

FELONY 7 years ago

What is sweet is astonished Mizzou fans are more upset that KU is going to the BCS Orange Bowl than they are about their team being left out of a BCS Bowl, what a bunch of haters. Their thinking is that years from now no one will remember who went to the Orange Bowl, but will remember who won Armageddon at Arrowhead.

I knew that Mizzou's Super Bowl was their game against KU, they should have thought ahead and won out to have a chance to play in the National Championship. Armageddon at Arrowhead was a regular season game between two rivals that has been played annually, the 2008 Orange Bowl will stand on its own merits as a BCS Bowl.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk.......Cheers!!!

pmohr13 7 years ago

Yeah yeah yeah yeah Miami uh uh Southbeach bringin the heat uh Haha can yall feel that Can yall feel that Jig it out uh

Here I am in the place where I come let go Miami the base and the sunset glow Everyday like a mardi gras everybody party all day No work all play okay So we sip a little something lay to rest the spill Me an charlie at the bar runnin up a high bill Nothin less than ill when we dress to kill Everytime the ladies pass they be like hi will Can yall feel me all ages and races Real sweet faces Every different nation spanish hatian indian jamaican Black white cuban and asian I only came for two days of playing But everytime I come I always wind up stayin This the type of town I could spend a few days in Miami the city that keeps the roof blazin

Chorus

Party in the city where the heat is on All night on the beach till the break of dawn Welcome to miami Buenvenidos a miami Bouncin in the club where the heat is on All night on the beach till the break of dawn Im goin to miami Welcome to miami

Verse 2

Yo I heard the rainstorms aint nothin to mess with But I cant feel a drip on the strip its a trip Ladies half dressed fully equipped And they be screamin out will we loved your last hit So Im thinkin ima scoot me somethin hot In this south sea merengue melting pot Hottest club in the city and its right on the beach Temperature get to ya its about to reach Five hundred degrees In the carribean seas with the hot mommies Screamin aii poppy Everytime I come to town they be spottin me In the drop bentley aint no stoppin me So cash in your door We flow to this fashion show Pound for pound anywhere you go Yo aint no city in the world like this An if you ask how I know I gots ta feed the film

Chorus

Verse 3

Dont get me wrong shytown got it goin on An new york is the city that we know dont sleep An we all know that l a and philly stay jiggy But on the sneak miami bringin heat for real Yall dont understand I never seen so many dominican women with cinnimon tans Mierda this is the plan Take a walk on the beach draw a heart in the sand Gimmie your hand Damn you look sexy Lets go to my yacht in the west keys Ride my jetskis loungin in the palm trees Cause you gotta have cheese for the summerhouse piece on southbeach Water so clear you can see to the bottom Hundred thousand dollar cars eybody got em Aint no surprise in the club to see sly stallone Miami my second home

Will Smith - Miami

pmohr13 7 years ago

what is irony is how a missouri fan told me good luck in the cotten bowl when i was tailgaiting at arrowhead

Brian Skelly 7 years ago

Early in the day, I wouldnt have been surprised if we were to get in ahead of Mizzou...

... that said, I was saying that predicated on the idea that we'd be AHEAD of them in the BCS Standings this evening. Im STUNNED that we did get in considering they were ahead of us.

Just one more things for the Tigers to whine about. Which is always good.

Mr_Sandman 7 years ago

A Rockwork Orange! A little Kubrick football masterpiece in the making I hope. I like this matchup, KU has the better O and Va. Tech the better D. Jan 3rd, BCS bowl game for the Hawks, national media exposure, recruiting boost, WOOOOHOOOOOOO!

randomfrenchie 7 years ago

why isnt this the top story on the home page?????????

screw basketball, im not even paying attention to it yet because of ku's great football season

CasperCorps 7 years ago

Orange bowl... Now win it and come out ranked for next season!!! Great season and well deserved bowl game!! Rockem Hawks!!!

pmohr13 7 years ago

anybody else love irony as much as me? slavers in the cotton bowl?

peter56321 7 years ago

"screw basketball"???????????? That may be the single most disgusting statement I've ever read from a so-called Jayhawk fan. We are a basketball school. I love our football success and I would love for us to be a basketball AND a football school but we don't get there by throwing one program under the wheels of the bus.

thare 7 years ago

Slavers in the cotton bowl. Ouch! Ha ha!

fivemog 7 years ago

pmohr13 great observation...that's hilarious! Just like in the 1800's they won the battle, but lost the war!

Craig Lang 7 years ago

Corso hates that KU made it to a BCS bowl because Kansas is 1) not a traditional powerhouse team and 2) not a team he picked to be in the preseason top 25. Kansas' run to the top is a reminder that he is not infallible and not that good of a football analyst. Of course he's going to hate that Kansas makes it what is essentially the third biggest game of the season instead of a team he had been rooting for.

afilmer 7 years ago

it does feel good to know that we can live in a state that values education, responsibility, and the equality of all men, and still go to a BCS game.

missouri, just face it, the country doesn't like you. there's no conspiracy, just a bunch of people that don't like you.

also, y'all shouldn't date yer sisters. that will help with your PR issues.

Andrew Ledell 7 years ago

Not only are we a "basketball school," so to speak, but also consider the fact that our basketball team played - and won - a road game against a ranked opponent today.

Our football team - which we all love as well - was selected by a committee to play in a particular game. They haven't taken the field in more than a week.

Also, this is listed as "breaking news." My guess is this will take top billing on kusports.com tomorrow morning.

pjdeanwag 7 years ago

Not only does the Orange Bowl selection committee hate Mizzou...so does God. Go Hawks!

BuilderKUFan5 7 years ago

Let's Go Hawks!!! Can't wait another month for it though!

scootja32 7 years ago

KU gets to play the last game in the Orange Bowl. Nice

avaholic 7 years ago

mudanny - good luck to you as well. This is a time that we should pull for our other big 12 schools and support the confrence that we are a part of. I am sorry if KU fans ever say anything inappropiate to you as I'm sure you would be if an MU fan said the same to me. I'm sure McFadden wishes he was facing a team that wasn't going to score 35 points.

William James 7 years ago

Mangino to speak on espn in a minute!

justanotherfan 7 years ago

The Orange Bowl is played in Dolphin Stadium now, not the Orange Bowl.

bennettcl 7 years ago

This announcement totally made my weekend. I thought it was going to be a boring weekend with KU football not playing, but I said on Friday the only way I could have a good weekend is if Missouri loses, KU makes a BCS bowl, and we beat USC in basketball. Well all three of those things happened and this weekend turned out perfect. My biggest thanks this weekend go to Mangino, Reesing, Chalmers, and the wonderful folks at the Orange Bowl. I am also so glad that we aren't playing Oklahoma they looked DAMN good against Missouri. Plus I wanted a shot at a team from a different conference.

What a great night. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!

I'm going to try to get off work tomorrow and hopefully come up with some money to be able to make the trip down there with a few people. This is great for the hawks to have another nationally televised game and the ONLY college football game on that night. Let's go and win it this time. Show the country we're for real.

Bob Zielinski 7 years ago

how does ohio state vault to number one and KU falls? they have played almost identical schedules with KU having the "better loss". the BCS putting lsu up against ohio state is a joke. lsu lost twice this season while being ranked number one. two cracks at the title game and they lose but still get the invite to play for it all? sounds like some pollsters rigged the voting to put lsu there. this is crap. go KU.

shelleysue 7 years ago

Slavers in the cotton bowl. funny. I also disagree tht no one will remember the orange bowl. EVERYONE will remember that KU got a BCS bid in 2007 and MU didn't. can't wait!

Toto_the_great 7 years ago

Why doesn't anyone (except sweet Lou Holtz) show KU love?

ralsterKUMed95 7 years ago

Im just happy, happy: Football gets BCS bowl, Basketball wins first road game of season, and against a ranked opponent. A good day for all KU fans!

Bob Zielinski 7 years ago

corso is an idiot. mark may is an even bigger idiot. herbstreit needs to quit waffling on KU. we beat okie state when he called the game and he came away so impressed by KU. now, KU plays a c minus game against mizzou which played their a plus, plus game and now KU is undeserving? these guys are complete doofuses. the only thing to do is whip v tech and pass out some shut the hell up pie.

jessayk 7 years ago

lee corso is a piece of sh*t. the only reason he has a job is to be a hater and he is pretty dang good at it

CaramelMacchMan 7 years ago

Can we get football to Sharp please!!!!!!! i saw him ONCE against Mizzou.....

wtf??

chicago_jayhawk 7 years ago

What an awesome day for Kansas! USC who? Bring on the Orange Bowl!!

Three things: 1) Why is Lou Holtz so awesome? 2) Why is airfare from anywhere in the country to Miami almost $500? 3) How much does it suck to be a Missouri fan?

For anyone who will be in Chicago on January 3rd, Kincade's on Armitage is the best KU bar in town. Ironically, it's also a Virginia Tech bar.

I've been for Hawk football games when Va Tech was playing at the same time, and they don't have a very big following up here. Let's pack the place!!

Rock Chalk!!

fivemog 7 years ago

Sharp will certainly a key, particularly with a strong D line like VT has.

rawkhawk 7 years ago

It's been a good day to be a Jayhawk. Great win against USC on the road, an invite to the Orange Bowl, and Mizzou gets shut out of the BCS. Although it drives my girlfriend crazy, it's been fun following two sports this year. Rock Chalk!

Andrew Ledell 7 years ago

I have to agree about Corso. His picks become his rooting interests. The only reason I can think of for that is that he is an incredibly insecure egomaniac who can't stand being wrong. He's pathetic.

The great thing is that we know our team deserved what we got. The national media "experts" haven't thought we were any good all year and we have proved them wrong all except one time (in a game where we obviously didn't play our best).

Rock Chalk! And screw anyone who sleeps on our ever-improving football team.

Kevin Long 7 years ago

That's right screw basketball for now! If a regular seson game win in Dec. takes priority over an Orange Bowl bid then there is something very wrong with KU. There will be plenty of time for your precious bb team.

Everyone stop by the store and get your oranges to give to all the MU trailer park fans!

War Lou Holtz!

kickazzkurtz 7 years ago

chicago_jayhawk,

Fly to Ft. Lauderdale. Much cheaper. Then take a shuttle for $20 to Miami. Anyhow, if the Orange Bowl is in Dolphin stadium Ft. Lauderdale is closer to the stadium than South Beach.

KUglow 7 years ago

The best way to shut Corso and the rest of the naysayers up is to BEAT VA TECH! That's it, plain and simple.

7 years ago

What an awesome day for KU fans and KU sports!! It's a crying shame I don't work with any MU fans. For those of you who do, have a wonderful day at work tomorrow, and be sure to regale us with your conversations with them!

JayViking 7 years ago

Posted by drum1984 (anonymous) on December 2, 2007 at 7:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!

sevenyearhawk 7 years ago

thanks, seattle!

wait for my "I TOLD YOU SO" shirts to be printed ...

jhawkshocker 7 years ago

txrock, I work with about 400 MU fans, and a few razorback fans.....tomorrow is going to be sooooooo fun

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

Not fair you say Lee Corso? You were 41-68-2 at Indiana and you got a cushy job at ESPN as a college football "expert". Somebody get Terry Allen on the phone, Lee stole his job.

Joe Ross 7 years ago

Okay...

I cant say I understand the BCS (but who really does). I can hear the confused mutterings of Columbians even from here as they lament "what could have been". Through tears they ask for an explanation as to how two teams who theyve beaten earlier in the season and who were ranked lower in the final BCS poll could have slipped in and supplanted "their" place in the BCS games. At a loss to explain it myself, I can only echo what one poster said above, "Even God hates Missouri".

Muck Em...We're Bowl Bound!

Rock Chalk...

Joe Ross 7 years ago

um...to those saying screw basketball...SCREW YOU! Would you cut off your nose to spite your face too?

kltbadboyz 7 years ago

From an inside source named Kirk Herbstreit I heard the orange bowl picked KU over Mizzou because they didnt want anyone on the sidelines eating boogers. Love the fact that we got into the orange bowl and Mizzou was on the outside looking in. We have a pretty good matchup in VT. This is a very winable game. Rock Chalk Baby!

7 years ago

shocker, you lucky duck!

seattle, that is too funny.

sevenyear, make sure your t-shirt makes some kind of reference to the irony of the slavers playing in the Cotton Bowl...

mudanny 7 years ago

You know, I had respect for you guys, from the basketball side. Very knowledgeable fans. On the football side, most of you aren't being objective. You have a solid team. But Mizzou got punished for beating Kansas, which put them in the title game where they had their second loss. I mean, you lose to the one of the best teams in the nation (oklahoma), which you guys didn't play on the way to your 108th ranked schedule, and then you lose to them in the title game. To top that off, your ranked two spots higher than kansas in the BCS, and Kansas still goes ahead of you. You have to admit, that doesn't make sense. I guess I should of seen the light when I lived in Chief country in college. I have never seen more unrealistic fans than Chief fans. The same fans who thought Elvis Grbac was the next Joe Montana. The same fans who could never figure out that the Chiefs will never win until they get playmakers at the wide reciever spot, which they haven't had in the last 30 years. I used to get all wrapped up in how little K.C. knows about football. Seeing the posted comments just proves my point. Have fun playing Oklahoma next year. I/m looking forward to Mu finishing ahead of KU next year, and my Dallas Cowboys always finishing ahead of the Chiefs. Good luck representing the big 12, but at least accept that you got a huge break from the BCS.

Joe Ross 7 years ago

Yes, we got a break. Call it "wiggle room" in the BCS selection process. Call it providence. Call it unfair, even.

It is what it is.

Mizz-WHO?

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

Don't really understand the Chiefs analogy and not really much of an NFL fan but I'm pretty sure there is a sizeable number of Chiefs fans who are from Mizzou. Good luck with the Patriots.

sevenyearhawk 7 years ago

well, basketball season kinda started for me today, then with the BCS show, got shut back down again ...

mudanny 7 years ago

The Chiefs analogy was just a reminder to me of the comments today. Don't make much sense. I am sure there are alot of Chief fans at Mu, unfortunately. In fact, when i see the "Antlers" at MU, and sometimes their lack of sportsmanship, I do wonder if they are also chief fans. The majority of Chief fans that I have met are vulgar and dont have a clue. And when i read most of these comments, other than yours, and very few others, I get the same rhetoric. The same kind of fans in Springfield that would write F***K Elway on their truck when the Broncos would dominate the Chiefs. Just classless. I am sure it happens everywhere in sports, just seems like a lot from the K.C. area. I mean, there is a reason Arrowhead has a nickname of the "hoosier pit"

CaramelMacchMan 7 years ago

I think the basketball selection cummittee gave BCS selection cummittee a call and said... "Hey give some love to those Jayhawks... we screwed them in the NCAA tourney by putting them in Cali. even if they had #1 seed."

So BCS committe goes..." Hmmm how are we going to do that?... oh simple. lets screw mizzou."

Other BCS committe memeber goes " Lets screw Mizzou. BRILLIANT... " (Please drink Guinness resposibly)

Other BCS member: " Brilliant"

haha..

avaholic 7 years ago

mudanny - I will be objective. You are correct that Mizzou got screwed. I agree that the rankings and bowl placement doesn't make sense. But Kansas isn't to blame for that. I think this goes to show how insane the BCS system is. It is ridiculous that a loss later in the season hurts more than on earlier in the season. I understand your point about the Chiefs not having playmakers, but that has nothing to do with the fans or football knowledge in the area. That has to do with the organization. The fact is that most football fans think they know about football. They complain about a team running up the score against them, but if it was turned around they would say that their team is just playing every down. Your right about people being objective but, that really happens when your dealing with fans

Andrew Ledell 7 years ago

Umm... here's a thought for mudanny: who would come to a web site called kusports.com to post comments that are objective? Clearly we are here to talk about how much we love the 'Hawks and, to a lesser extent, how much we hate Mizzou.

Perhaps Mizzou should've been in the BCS. But they had 2 chances against Oklahoma, and the most recent time got humiliated.

One thing you can't claim is that KU doesn't deserve to be in the BCS, even if you can argue that Mizzou might also be deserving.

Jim Pendleton 7 years ago

Don't know if anyone has said this or not - even though there are "BCS" bowls, and you have to qualify to be eligible for selection to one of them, isn't the final selection up to the individual bowl committee who chooses from the list of eligible teams?

If this is accurate, then the tigggers complaint is with the Orange Bowl Committee, not the overall BCS.

My fears of certain "name schools" winning conference titles yesterday unfortunately panned out. Those schools all went around us in the final BCS poll, which basically eliminated us not only from the title game, but also a top four guaranteed BCS spot.

I do some work in mid-Missouri every week. Can't wait to hear what they have to say this week while I am there. Could make for some interesting posts later on, so I will keep everyone apprised of what they say.

As a long time football season ticket holder, I am ecstatic about this situation, although I have to say I am surprised as to how this turned out. We will just have to prove all the nay-sayers wrong. We must show up in force in S Fla.

troutsee 7 years ago

I've got 10 tickets. My whole family is driving down for the game from St. Joe and KC. Looking forward to a Hawk win.

mudanny 7 years ago

The Orange Bowl commissioner said, "in the end, we looked at a one loss team versus a two loss team." That means, although MU controlled their own destiny, they got punished for beating KU and making it to the Big Twelve championship, where they faced a far superior team and got beat. All i am saying is that the second best team in the Big Twelve is not in the Orange Bowl. I am not whining, just came here to see if you guys could be objective and see that. When I saw some of the off based comments, yes this is a KU website, I just wanted to inject some reality here. The same reality that Ku basketball is far superior, only MU gets up for two games a year. I hate that about MU B-Ball. We try to beat Ku, you guys try to win National titles. Objectively, this year, MU football was superior to Ku,and Ku ends up in the Orange Bowl. Just facts.

KJRFC 7 years ago

kudanny,

I didn't think there was much worse in the world than a Fizzou fan, but a Tigger/Cowgirls combo?!?!? You're my most hated sports fan! The Chefs flat-out suck, so let's not even bring them into the conversation. The Orange Bowl bid is great for all of Jayhawk nation, but where you guys got totally screwed is not getting a BCS bid. I'll admit that. MU is the only team in the BCS final rankings top 10 that didn't get a BCS game. That sucks. You played your best football vs. KU, then folded against a very solid OU team. So good luck in the Cotton Bowl. Between the Pigs and the Tiggers, that's a lot of inbred, back-woods, rednecks in one location! Should rename it the Ozark Bowl. My next-door neighbor is a HUGE V-Tech fan, so this should be interesting. They can be beat, but we absolutely have to play our best football all season, and our O/D lines have to be totally unstoppable. It's gonna be tough to win, but the fighting Manginos can do it. ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWK!

avaholic 7 years ago

mudanny - I understand what your saying and I agree with most of it. Being as objective as I can, I would say that KU is the 3rd best team in the big 12. Having said that, I don't know what you want us to do. People on both sides say stupid things about the other. There are going to be off hand comments. Just ignore them. The truth is that every KU fan was sweating tonight before the announcement. But we got in so we are happy. What else would we be?

mudanny 7 years ago

Just Curious about The "CHASE EATS BOOGERS" sign. What is that referring to?

mudanny 7 years ago

Avaholic- Very well said. Good luck in Florida. I'm sure Va Tech would rather play the Dolphins than Ku.

seattlehawk_78 7 years ago

You seem like a decent sort mudanny but I am for the most part clueless when it comes to the general perception of Chiefs fans. For the most part I have heard more good things about them than bad. As for your claims of unfairness, the BCS and college football in general is the most inequitable system in all of sports and this year is no different. In my opinion a far greater miscarriage of justice is that LSU and Ohio State are playing for the national title.

But, you are on a KU site and if you didn't know before you got here then you've probably discovered that Mizzou is our most hated rival and as such are on the receiving end of a lot of venom not all of which has been approved by the pope. I don't visit the Tiger's site often, but I'm pretty sure they reciprocate. Check the basketball posts on the LJW in March if you don't believe me. The very words that you are writing here today could easily be made by KU fans about Mizzou fans.

Brian Skelly 7 years ago

I dont think you'll find most the guys in here that think Mizzou DIDNT get hosed. They did.

I also dont think your going to see anyone in here complaining about it either.

I do think Mizzou was the 2nd best Big 12 team. I think the fact that two teams Mizzou beat (Illinois, Kansas) and were both ranked behind you in the final BCS Standings and went in ahead of you, you have a right to feel snubbed.

But understand, by losing to Oklahoma last night, you left it up to guys in plaid coats in conference rooms to determine. KU left it up to them once Mizzou beat us two weeks ago. It is what it is, for better or worse.

William James 7 years ago

jross-I dont endorse the negative things said on here about the basketball team, but I think its halarious that you would get worked up about that. I remember discussing this very same football team with you just a few months ago and the words you used to describe our kids were less than flattering. Like I told you then, you were wrong. Honestly, its hard to take anything you say too seriously until you at least apologize to any KU fan that had to read what you said about our BCS Bowlbound Jayhawks.

madmangine 7 years ago

Agree c/ others: shame this story isn't already on the headline for this page.

My dad, who started at R Guard for Ku in 70-72 told me a funny story just after we got the bid. He was at a luncheon c/ Mangino right after his hire. My dad happened to be wearing a shirt that had 91 final four Kansas logo on it. After shaking his hand, Mangino said to my father "I'd like to see you wearing a football shirt," to which my dad replied "Coach, make me wear a shirt that has KU and the Orange Bowl on it," to which Mangino said "will do!"

nycjayhawk 7 years ago

Missouri totally got hosed (that's from a KU fan). They beat Illinois but Illinois goes to the Rose Bowl (blame that on the snobs at the Rose Bowl who love the Big 10). They beat KU but we get the Orange. The real culprit is the "2 team limit" rule -- that is so one conference doesn't dominate, but this year 3 Big 12 teams deserved a BCS Bid. To add insult, Mizzou gets a tough draw against McFadden and Arkansas, who beat LSU. Kansas is a much better cinderalla story and has the Orange tradition and only one loss, and did not get blown out the day before selections were made. Being objective, Missouri should see that it was a close call for the Orange and it did not go their way, but for reasons that make sense -- so it was not a snub. BTW, I was one of those pulling for Missouri to win, so KU would land the Fiesta, as I did not see KU going BCS if OU won. I will admit I was wrong, and did not fully appreciate the attractiveness of the KU program to bowls like the Orange and the Fiesta, who also really wanted KU.

okiehawk 7 years ago

Obviously, Quantrill's sins are being visited upon Missouri's 4th generation.

kc_wildfire 7 years ago

The Orange Tradition?

I don't think you can call one appearance in the last 35 plus years a tradition.

Clearly MU got screwed. Illinois should be out, MU in...if it wasn't for the two team maximum per conference.

Just like pretty much everything else these days it came down to money. The Orange Bowl Committee thinks KU will bring more in more money than MU.

Rick Arnoldy 7 years ago

'Posted by mudanny - Just Curious about The "CHASE EATS BOOGERS" sign. What is that referring to?'

Put those words in the search at You Tube. Bon Appetit.

nycjayhawk 7 years ago

What I meant by tradition was the whole story of not being there for 40 years and then losing that game on the "12th man" issue. That makes a good story and will be played up by the Orange Bowlers and the media leading into the game.

nycjayhawk 7 years ago

Here is a decent link on the 1969 orange bowl (albeit from the other team's perspective).

Rick Arnoldy 7 years ago

Wow, I knew about the 12th man on the conversion but not this tidbit. Why wasn't it caught earlier?

"Actually, as the game film showed and the Kansas coaches later admitted, 12 men had been on the field for four plays, including Burkhart's touchdown. In the confusion after the sensational pass to Campbell, linebacker Rick Abernathy had stayed on the field."