Wednesday, August 15, 2007

2007-08 tip times decided

The times of Kansas University's men's basketball games for the 2007-08 season have been announced.

The Jayhawks will play 10 day games and 20 night games, with the time of KU's home game against Baylor yet to be revealed.

KU will meet Boston College at 11 a.m. Jan. 5, in Boston. The Jayhawks will play host to Miami in a noon tip on Dec. 22, and meet Nebraska at 12:30 p.m., Jan. 26, and Colorado at 12:30 p.m., Feb. 16.

KU will play host to DePaul at 1 p.m. Dec. 8. Road games to start at 1 p.m.: Texas A&M; on March 8, in College Station and USC, Dec. 2 in Los Angeles. KU will meet Colorado at 2:30 p.m., Feb. 2, in Boulder; Oklahoma State at 3 p.m., Feb. 23, in Stillwater and Ohio at 4 p.m., Dec. 15, in Kansas City, Mo.

Games to start at 6 p.m.: Dec. 18 versus Georgia Tech in Atlanta as well as two games against Iowa State - Jan. 23 in Lawrence and Feb. 27 in Ames.

KU will play 8 p.m. games at home against Oklahoma (Jan. 14), Missouri (Feb. 4), Kansas State (March 1) and Texas Tech (March 3). Road games to start at 8 are at Nebraska (Jan. 12) and Texas (Feb. 11). The rest of the games will start at 7 p.m.

Tip time for the Baylor game, which will be shown on Jayhawk TV, should be determined within a week or so, senior associate AD Larry Keating said.

¢ More on Hinrich: Former KU guard Kirk Hinrich, who withdrew from the U.S. senior national team training camp Monday for personal reasons, is still eligible to make the Olympic team next summer because he played for his country last summer. It was decided that players could play one of the two summers leading up to the Olympics.

It is assumed it will be difficult for Hinrich to beat out point guards Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups and Deron Williams, however.

The Chicago Tribune's Sam Smith reported Tuesday that though Hinrich's Chicago Bulls "endorsed his participation, they were concerned about him continuing to be worn down and are believed to be relieved Hinrich will not participate."

¢ Pierce on Pollard: Boston Celtics veteran Paul Pierce was asked his reaction to his KU teammate, Scot Pollard, signing with the Celts:

"That will be interesting. I don't know what he's going to do with his hair, but I want him to bring back the Mohawk. Yeah, a green Mohawk," Pierce told the Boston Herald.

Pierce, by the way, likely can expect an invitation to throw out the first pitch at a Boston Red Sox game after marveling that new Celt acquisition Kevin Garnett was accorded the honor Aug. 2. Also, recent acquisition Ray Allen made the opening coin toss for a soccer game between Boston and David Beckham's Los Angeles Galaxy.

"I've been here for nine years and I've never had the opportunity to do anything like that - man, throwing out the first pitch at a Red Sox game, incredible," Pierce said. "These guys haven't even played a minute yet and look at 'em. But that's the plan. We're soothing them, working them in. The idea is to make 'em feel at home for when the season starts."

Pierce loves Boston.

"I see myself as being in the position to be here for the rest of my career," he said. "And then I'll move into a management position when I'm done."

¢ Recruiting: Tyshawn Taylor, a 6-foot-3 senior from St. Anthony High in Jersey City, N.J., tells Rivals.com he has decided to make campus visits to KU, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech. Taylor, who emerged as a top prospect late in the summer AAU season also likes Virginia, Missouri, Marquette, St. John's, Cincinnati and St. Joseph's.

"Being recruited by Kansas is overwhelming," Taylor told Rivals.com. "I never thought that Kansas would be interested in me, I never thought Kansas would recruit me and I definitely never thought that I would have the opportunity to choose to play for a school like Kansas."

Kansas hoops schedule

Nov. 1 - Pittsburg State (Exhibition), 7 p.m. (JTV)

Nov. 6 - Fort Hays State (Exhibition), 7 p.m. (JTV)

Nov. 9 - Louisiana-Monroe, 7 p.m. (JTV)

Nov. 11 - UMKC in KU Inv., 7 p.m. (JTV)

Nov. 15 - Washburn in KU Inv., 7 p.m. (JTV)

Nov. 21 - Northern Arizona in KU Inv., 7 p.m. (JTV)

Nov. 25 - Arizona in KU Inv., 7 p.m. (ESPN)

Nov. 28 - Florida Atlantic, 7 p.m. (JTV)

Dec. 2 - at Southern California, 1 p.m. (FSN)

Dec. 5 - Eastern Washington, 7 p.m. (JTV)

Dec. 8 - DePaul, 1 p.m. (ESPN)

Dec. 15 - Ohio at K.C. Sprint Center, 4 p.m. (ESPN2)

Dec. 18 - at Georgia Tech, 6 p.m. (ESPN)

Dec. 22 -Miami of Ohio, noon (JTV)

Dec. 29 - Yale, 7 p.m. (JTV)

Jan. 5 - at Boston College, 11 a.m. (ESPN)

Jan. 8 - Loyola of Maryland, 7 p.m. (JTV)

Jan. 12 - at Nebraska, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Jan. 14 - Oklahoma, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Jan. 19 - at Missouri, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)

Jan. 23 - Iowa State, 6 p.m. (ESPN)

Jan. 26 - Nebraska, 12:30 p.m. (ESPN-Plus)

Jan. 30 - at Kansas State, 7 p.m. (ESPN-Plus)

Feb. 2 - at Colorado, 2:30 p.m. (ABC)

Feb. 4 - Missouri, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Feb. 9 - Baylor, TBA (JTV)

Feb. 11 - at Texas, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

Feb. 16 - Colorado, 12:30 p.m. (ESPN-Plus)

Feb. 23 - at Oklahoma State, 3 p.m. (CBS)

Feb. 27 - at Iowa State, 6 p.m. (ESPN)

March 1 - Kansas State, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

March 3 - Texas Tech, 8 p.m. (ESPN)

March 8 - at Texas A&M;, 1 p.m. (CBS)

March 13-16 - Big 12 Championship, K.C. Sprint Center

Comments

argentinehawk 14 years, 1 month ago

I know this guy Taylor has "emerged as a top prospect", but according to rivals, he's only a 3 star. But, the kid is also out of Jersey, so that probably means that he's a tough kid, and I like that, and I know Coach Self likes that. Anyway, I have faith in Self.

Larry Smith 14 years, 1 month ago

No offense to Rodrick, but Rivals had Stewart as a 5 star recruit, so who knows. It's an inexact science.

justanotherfan 14 years, 1 month ago

This kid emerged late after playing very well during the summer AAU circuit. He was a three star when last basketball season started. Clearly he has improved, given his more recent performances against top notch AAU competition. Who knows, maybe he hit a growth spurt or filled out physically, or just caught up athletically to his body. This is a perfect example of why ranking prospects is so difficult. Kids keep growing, or stop growing, or fill out, or overcome awkwardness, or get comfortable playing the game, or outwork everyone, or quit working hard. Everything is up and down with high school recruits.

HawkFanEddie 14 years, 1 month ago

11/24/07 KU vs. MU at Arrowhead TBA 11/25/07 Chiefs vs. Raiders at Arrowhead 12:00 11/25/07 KU vs. UA at Allen Fieldhouse 7:00

That's a fun weekend!

kcmostwanted 14 years, 1 month ago

True what you said justanother fan. Just look at all 4 gators players that were drafted last year i don't think any of them were top 10 or top 50.. (maybe one of them were top 50)... but hey they matured @ FL. and won a NC their soph. year (+ repeated)... 5 stars don't exactly translate to D1 success.

soapboxstew 14 years, 1 month ago

Eddie- that is a fun weekend, I love that time of year in sports. You have important NFL games, college bball begins, and college football rivalries. The only better sports time of year is late December. NHL & NBA begin, Conference games in college bball, playoff NFL, and bowl college football. But I'll be marking the 11/25/07 thru 11/26/07 weekend on my calendar, thanks for the heads up! BTW- I was born and raised in Denver, CO. and my favorite NFL team is the Broncos, the problem is that half of my family lives in KC, and I went to KU, so my second favorite NFL team is the Chiefs. I get much guff from both sides.

WisconsinJayhawk 14 years, 1 month ago

What exactly is guff? Where does that expression come from? I don't know whether I should polish my shoes with guff or flush it.

soapboxstew 14 years, 1 month ago

I wasn't sure that I could say crap on this site.

soapboxstew 14 years, 1 month ago

ALERT! Scott Suggs, a SG from Ill. has committed to Washington. We were high on his list. More importantly, we just lost Troy Gillenwater to NMST. New Mexico St. of all places. I forget if JR plays for NMST or just NM, but if he does play for NMST he better not have talked smack on KU. We needed this kid. I don't know what happened, but we better not be getting beat out by powerless programs like NMST in recruiting battles.
I have never wrote a bad blog about Self, but if he can't recruit top talent, then he is not good enough to coach at KU. We all know that 'Ol Roy never recruited the BEST talent, but he is the best X's and O's coach in the nation. I can deal with loosing top recruits, but I can't deal with loosing games, and that is what will happen with Self if the talent isn't there. I know that he coached a talentless team in Tulsa to the E8, but you know how that goes in the tourney, if a team is hot, they can beat ANYBODY. I'm pissed that we lost those guys, we have not been recruiting well lately. If you think about it, Cole and Reed fell into our lap because the front of our jersey says "KANSAS", you take that class away from Bill's so called "talent" in recruiting, and he hasn't done jack in the past 2 years in the recruiting scene. We will now RELY on the HOPE that we can land Monroe and Morgan. If we don't, were fu*ked.

JayCeph 14 years, 1 month ago

I thought 'guff' is where all the unborn babies' souls are stored. At least that is what the movie 'The Seventh Sign' suggests (starring Demi Moore circa 1987ish?).

HawkFanEddie 14 years, 1 month ago

Scott Suggs wasn't as high on us at the end...his updated list had him choosing between Illinois, Mizzou and Washington. Mizzou and Illinois are the schools that are probably really hurting from this...gotta keep St. Louis kids at home. Releford and Suggs are basically the same player so I don't think this is the end of the world.

Giddens transfered to New Mexico.

Self is going to do fine. His recruiting classes at KU and Illinois have all been top notch. Plus, I would say it takes more "coaching" to play Self's style than Roy's run, run, run style. I'm not expecting Monroe but he will fill it in with a bunch of elite level players. Even if he does land 7-8 4 and 5 star players we are still going to struggle at times two years from now. I don't know why everyone thinks that 2008-2009 will or has to be a top 5 team...be realistic. Think back to a couple years ago with all of the Freshman and Sophomores. I wouldn't sweat it. Next year is our chance to make a run at the title...two years from now we will have a top 15 team by tournament time. Three years from now a run at the title again...then we need to find another big recruiting class...see a pattern...

justanotherfan 14 years, 1 month ago

Gillenwater committed and then decommitted to Okla. State, so I'm not sure Kansas ever got back into that race once he picked OSU. Also, he's a 08 recruit that plays the same position as Monroe and Morgan, so I'm not that upset if we lose him to get both of those guys.

Suggs is also an 08 recruit, but lets not forget that we already got a commit from a shooting guard in that class (Releford) who is ranked higher at his position (#7 vs. #11) if you care about rankings.

So don't panic soapbox. We lost these two guys, true enough, but one we lost because we are seriously in the hunt for the top two players at his position and the other we lost in part because we signed someone at his position. These signings shouldn't cause your Jayhawk heart to flutter. These guys are good players, but we lost them only because we already have (or are in the hunt for) better players.

soapboxstew 14 years, 1 month ago

You guys are right, I just saw that on Rivals, and I tripped out. Bill is a good coach, I remember the Kentucky game when the announcers said that Moody was the best walk-on of all time. That was the best defense that I have ever seen. We doubled on the post faster than I have ever seen. Bill coaches the toughest D of all the top program coaches. I think that is why Bill had such success when playing KU in the tourney. When the run, run, run is shut down, those players don't know what to do with themselves. Bill, KU, and the future recruits will always be great here at KU. I am officially taking back what I said earlier, I spoke out of anger.

bmkjayhawk 14 years, 1 month ago

I don't know if Rivals is behind (they usually aren't), but this Taylor kid has GT and VT "high" and KU and a bunch of others as "medium", so maybe he's not as interested as this article indicates.

justanotherfan 14 years, 1 month ago

From my understanding KU just got into the action with this kid. He hasn't been on the radar with a lot of major programs outside of the east coast until after some of his summer performances. He is coached by a good high school coach (Bobby Hurley's dad) so he will be D-1 ready, but most likely has been overshadowed by others on his team (that school routinely puts 2 or 3 guys D-1 every year). He seems from reports and media to be surprised that KU is interested, so its hard to gauge if he is interested in attending or flattered by the new attention he's getting.

ralsterKUMed95 14 years, 1 month ago

soapbox, you bring up a good observation in your later post about Roy's run,run,run (little D) style vs. KU's current well-rounded team, that I would add: plays excellent half-court zone busting offense, still capable transition ball, and solid defense most games. SO, I would think, in the complex world of college bball recruiting, any given coach may be interested in the players that FIT his own system...Self seems to like the do-it-all combo guards, and athletic bigs who can get back on D AND run transition breaks. It all adds up to big FUN for us who love KU bball. Im happy with these kids. I REALLY liked the breakdown by hawkfaneddie about the cyclic nature of it. 2 yrs ago we were just too young, but tried hard. Last year and this coming year are window-of-opportunity years for a legitimate run at the title, and the year after, while we may not be a top 10 squad, we should be competitive. You never know what that freshman may blossom into by his Jr or Sr year.

Clif Roark 14 years, 1 month ago

Gary Bedore: Your story of August 15th was a repeat ; not a news story....the Friday, July 27th Kansas City Star ran the schedule with tip-off times identical to those shown in your repeat.