Saturday, April 28, 2007

Rushing off

Sophomore to test waters in draft

Sophomore guard Brandon Rush

Sophomore guard Brandon Rush

First Julian Wright.

Now Brandon Rush.

Kansas University's sophomore class is dwindling at a rapid rate.

"This doesn't surprise me," KU coach Bill Self said Friday in discussing Rush's decision to copy Wright and enter his name in the 2007 NBA Draft. "Julian is a potential lottery pick. With Brandon, we were hopeful to get one year, two would be a bonus. The only reason we thought we might get three is this is the strongest draft in recent memory."

It's so strong, the 6-foot-6 Rush has decided not to sign with an agent, at least for the time being. That leaves the possibility of Rush withdrawing from the draft by June 18.

Self isn't holding his breath for that to happen.

"Whenever guys declare that are going to be high draft picks or have a great shot to make a roster, I think it's difficult for a lot of those guys to come back," Self said. "That's what Brandon wants to do. We approach it like there is a window for him to come back, but also approach it (like) we need to do whatever we can to help our team next year.

"Nothing would surprise me. I told him if he does this, he needs to go for it. He needs to take that approach. If he does the best job preparing, it will guarantee him a future in the league. I feel my personal opinion is the team we have returning now is our team. Anything else would be a bonus."

Rush - who said he is "ready to take the next step" - would lose his eligibility by negotiating with an agent or accepting money to attend NBA draft camps and individual workouts with teams.

If he hires an agent, it "will be much later in the process," Rush said. "I just want to keep my options open."

Rush pondered his options during a two-plus-hour meeting with Self on Wednesday in the coach's office. At that meeting, Rush told Self he had decided to enter the draft.

Self told Rush to take a day to ponder the facts presented at the meeting, talk with Self again Thursday, then announce a decision Friday. Rush made his decision known Thursday night.

Forty-two underclassmen have declared for the draft; 29 have not hired agents.

"It does not surprise me or disappoint me he put his name in," said Self, who indicated Rush has said he'll finish his semester classes and is "in pretty good shape academically.

"He obviously felt this is what he wanted to do going into the meeting (Wednesday). We talked to Brandon numerous times, and he said he wanted to wait and see who was coming out and see the information. It's been popular for guys to declare and not hire an agent. Brandon probably saw all those guys and said, 'Why not me?'

"This has become the popular thing to do. But it's difficult to go so far and still keep your eligibility. There is a process he has to go through. If you violate it, you lose your eligibility."

Rush can't let an agent pay for his trips to the Orlando draft camp May 29-June 1 or pay for individual trips to NBA cities and workouts with front-office personnel.

"I think he's a roster guy. I never have said he would not be taken in the first round. I told him regardless of what he does, he could make a roster," Self said. "There's a great chance he'll go in the first round if he performs at a level he's capable of performing."

What about Self's returning KU team? Wright will sign with an agent and definitely won't be back, and Rush appears out the door. Those two players accounted for 25.8 points a game.

"We've still got three of the best guards around (Mario Chalmers, Russell Robinson, Sherron Collins) and as good a prospect at the four (Darrell Arthur) as there is anywhere," Self said. "Three other bigs who are real good in Darnell (Jackson), Sasha (Kaun) and Cole (Aldrich). We have role guys, whether Rod (Stewart) or Brady (Morningstar) or Jeremy (Case) or Tyrel (Reed) that I feel one or two of those guys will step up and make us better.

"Some have not had the opportunity because we're pretty loaded in the backcourt. The three on paper returning that have played considerable minutes are as good as anybody. Somebody else will step up, or we'll recruit somebody to fill the void. This gives others a chance to step up."

6Sports video: Brandon Rush to enter NBA Draft; a look back on his KU career

Brandon Rush has decided to enter his name into the 2007 NBA Draft pool. 6News takes a look back on Brandon Rush's two-year KU career.

Self said he had no specific recruits in mind to replace Rush. KU now has one scholarship to give.

"If he made the decision three weeks ago, I think we'd have had a good opportunity to replace him (with a recruit like Alex Legion). If we do replace him, it will not be in the immediate future," Self said.

"We have to do what's best for the program, too. We delayed some recruiting possibilities based on his decision. Now that he's decided, we'll have to scramble around a bit knowing we will not get anything done (recruiting wise) in the near future."

The bottom line is, Self said he's not surprised Rush has chosen the NBA route after two seasons.

"In my mind from a business standpoint, it could go either way. There were pros and cons in both directions, something he'd have to decide," Self said. "There's a list of reasons to return and leave. I don't know if his mind was made up Wednesday or before that because certainly he did not do what we planned all along in making a decision on Friday. He made it Thursday when it was his request to do it Friday, not based on my request."

Comments

lukay 7 years, 3 months ago

Good luck, Brandon. If you end up staying in the draft, I hope you have a wonderful NBA career. Make KU proud. I'm sure you will! Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Jclarkson 7 years, 3 months ago

i'm happy for these guys going pro, but i wish there was a little bit more respect paid to the school and coaching staff. i believe these guys no in advance what their decisions are and if they would just tell coach earlier we could recruit a couple of guys late to fill in their spots. now KU is left scrambling to fill some spots and the jar doesn't have the best cookies left in it. I hope Bill leaves the team the way it is and reloads next year with a large class and start over the joyride.

Joe Ross 7 years, 3 months ago

You guys are acting if he's definitely going to the NBA this year.

rockchalk...testing the waters is common practice. It doesn't mean they're gone necessarily. It is not a "bad decision" to test the waters. My humble opinion.

Jclarkson...if Brandon decides to return in a couple of months, the scholarship situation is still going to have to be sorted out. Brandon has left the door open to come back and so it's not like we can't recruit kids based on what his decision is or isn't.

Kyle Rohde 7 years, 3 months ago

"Sources within the Kansas University men's basketball program" haha...would those sources by the Kansas City Star?

The LJW must be a little miffed that Rush didn't give them any love.

bmcmich1 7 years, 3 months ago

Why, exactly, is it such an awful thing to be a 23 year old rookie as opposed to a 22 year old one????? That doesn't make any sense--does your athletic ability or basketball skill level fall off a cliff in that one year? Is 23 the new 'over the hill?' That might be the most ridiculous reasoning I've ever heard. If you want to go to the NBA, fine, but for chrissakes give a better reason than that.

jcsmith 7 years, 3 months ago

It is a sad day here in Lawrence Kansas.

But Best of luck to you Mr. Rush. Your jersey will proudly hang in my closet nomatter what the outcome.

Rock Chalk Mr. Rush........ Rock Chalk.

klineisanazi 7 years, 3 months ago

Loyalty? That isn't a factor in this equation. From the start Rush has said he hoped KU would be a stop along the way to the NBA. Everyone knew that . The reason for the delay was to see who else was declaring. The only way for Rush to have added any certainty was to have declared and hired an agent earlier this spring. And that would not have been in his interest.

If KU doesn't want to face this problem in the future, it should stop recruiting high profile recruits. But if it does continue to recruit at a high level, this will happen again . Coaches and players are all looking out for their own interests , as are universities and athletic departments. Fans and alums are the only ones that care about "loyalty". And if you think about it, they are doing that because of their own interests...pride and bragging rights for their own team. Everyone has their own agenda, so please, no more agonizing over the ethics of the various actors in the big business of major college athletics.

Andy Hess 7 years, 3 months ago

Good Luck Brandon! It was great having you here!

Andy Hess 7 years, 3 months ago

Good Luck Brandon! It was great having you here!

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 7 years, 3 months ago

I dont think it was the best choice but make us proud. Good luck!!!!!

Andy Hess 7 years, 3 months ago

Good Luck Brandon! It was great having you here!

jayhawkinATL 7 years, 3 months ago

This move is not a surprise...everyone and their grandmas are declaring. This will be the norm from here on out. Declare just to see where you may go and then pull out, if you're not satisfied. Rush's departure is not a done deal!!!!

jayloco 7 years, 3 months ago

I think this is a done deal. Rush is going to the NBA. I may be reading more into it, but he backed off a previous statement about needing to be top 20 or he would come back to KU. This leads me to believe that he has to know he is at least going to be a 1st round selection, or one of the top 30 picks. Now that he knows he is at least a 1st rd. guarantee, he is gone. I agree with others that I hope BS holds on to the scholarship. Just my opinion, but it seems like guys still left this late in the game for 2007 are either DIVAS, or have question marks surrounding them that makes them a suspect recruit. I would rather yield a bumper crop in 2008 than deal with another Micah Downs type.

ChiJayhawk21 7 years, 3 months ago

I think Brandon will be back with the team next season. There is just too much talent in this years draft to guarantee a top 20 position for him. Hopefully we can get one more year from Brandon and WIN our last game this year!! There have been several players that have returned to school over the last couple years after participating in the pre-draft camps. Let's hope Brandon is the next to do so!

ROCK CHALK FOREVER.....

jayloco 7 years, 3 months ago

bmcmich1-I agree, but would only say this. Looking at it from a purely financial situation, that is one less year of earning power that Brandon would have. I guess you get into how much is enough argument. However, that one year could lead to an extra 3-5 mil for Brandon over the life of his career because he got to play one extra year of pro ball by leaving one year earlier. It is all about maximizing your earning potential. I can't fault BR for that.

JBurtin 7 years, 3 months ago

jaybate, the blue chippers who signed a LOI with another school would have to sit out their first year for transferring. For a Blue chipper who is good enough to possibly be a one and done it just wouldn't make sense. In essense the players have their coach by the B@!!$ and they both know it.

Bill Self has the right idea. We already over-recruited in good recruits in preparation for somebody leaving early. We wouldn't have had a scholarship for both Reed and Aldrich if somebody hadn't left. He has also just signed his second three star recruit (since coming to KU) as a walk on (Kleinman and now Teahen). Does anybody here realize that Langford was ranked as a three star when he got here and we gave up a scholarship for him. Now we get players of his caliber as walk ons . . . that is ridiculously good recruiting!

I like Brandon and I think that the draft camp will prove him to be much more NBA ready than Wright. He may not be aggressive enough on offense, but he could make a solid off-the-bench player for somebody and every once in a while he will go nuts and take over a game for them. Even if he doesn't get in the game a ton early on, his tough defense is a great asset for a practice squad and will likely keep him in the NBA for a long career. I hope he develops and proves to outperform my prediction because he has earned my respect and has represented us all very well.

I'm also not terribly worried about our team next year. Langford was our starting three man for us for several years and he was only 6'3". He just used his quickness to drive the taller players nuts defensively and they couldn't hang with him on the offensive side at all. If we do have a need for a mid six foot guy to help us with a specific player Rod Stewart and Teahen will be able to come in and put in some good defensive minutes.

I also think that the addition of Aldrich will make us better in the half court game than we were this year. For all the attention that people give to tall players with a face up game, they are nowhere near as effective for winning championships as a classic big man that can bang under the basket. (e. g. Okafor, Sean May, Horford, Noah, etc . . . ). Aldrich will probably take some time to develop, but he is definitely what this team needs for the future.

Good luck Brandon, I've been nothing less than extremely proud to call you a Jayhawk and if you ever return home for a visit we will welcome you with open arms.

jayloco 7 years, 3 months ago

Chijayhawk21-He has backed off his statement that he has to be a top 20 pick. That's why I think he is gone unless he bombs at the pre-draft camps.

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I imagine there is a better than average chance he'll be back, but this allows him to attend some pre-draft workouts and see how he compares to others in the draft. If he has a dynamite showing, then and probably only then would he stay in the draft.

jayloco 7 years, 3 months ago

I like your optimism Chicago_JHawk. I wish I was as optimistic. As a season ticket holder, I was looking forward to Brandon coming back this year and playing like the All American player we know he is. I just think he has pretty good info that is telling him he is a definite 1st round selection. I think if he holds his own at the camps, he is going to stay in the draft.

rhagg 7 years, 3 months ago

Question... if someone knows the answer tell me. If B. Rush goes...can we shave his scholarship and start our penalty next year? If so, wouldn't that make sense instead of locking up a four year scholarship on a so so recruit. In my mind...we are still pretty loaded. So we don't make a preseason top 5. Who cares, we have a great bunch of players and some haven't peaked yet. Just a thought.

frompekka2sasha 7 years, 3 months ago

jayloco- Rush is not even guaranteed to be a Top 30 pick. He may be but there is some evident that suggests otherwise.

oldalum 7 years, 3 months ago

I heard announcers during the season commenting on Brandon's age. I guess it goes along with the "potential" thing. Maybe the NBA figures once you reach a certain age any unfortunate playing styles or traits are beyond change. Easier to mold an 18-year-old than a 23-year-old, I guess, so the younger the better.

frompekka2sasha 7 years, 3 months ago

rhagg- I am pretty sure that it's at our discretion as to when to impose the scholarship penalty. It seems like it has to be done for 2 out the next 3 years but that is a guess.

mikedog1 7 years, 3 months ago

He'll be back! He's just testing the waters which is the only smart decision to do in his position. As much as he may want to go NBA, I don't think his numbers will allow him to. Wait and see is all we can do now.

KU 7 years, 3 months ago

I think if you read Self's comments carefully, you can read between the lines and see that he doesn't think Rush is in the Top 20 in the 2007 draft and we'll see Rush come back for his Junior season.

I believe the only way he'll go is if some GM falls in love with him during his workouts and guarantees Rush that team will take him in the Top 20.

It's a crap shoot at this point. We won't really know anything more until the middle of June.

Until then......How about those Royals?

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 3 months ago

As much as I'd like for Rush to come back, it will be nice to not be so hyped up in the preseason and regular season.

In a perfect world, I'd like us to be ranked number 1 all year and win it all but, historically, KU tends to perform better when they are the underdog...not sure why but it is what it is.

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

jayloco- You might be right about my optimism - I'm selfish about wanting him back, but I don't want to see him perform miserably at the camps just to make him come back. That said, I won't fault him if he goes - good for him! My hope is that he won't blow off the rest of the semester and negate any chance he has of coming back. I would HATE to see him fall to the second round with no guarantees because a GM or two tells him they're considering him at a certain spot. As much as a great workout could help him, other guys having good workouts could leave his status up in the air.

That said, this Patrick Patterson kid seems to be the only major recruit yet unsigned (that hasn't said no to KU, as Legion did), and Kansas hasn't even sniffed in his direction, so if BR leaves, I assume they'll accept the penalty starting this season and go with only 12 scholarship guys. I still assume they'll have 6 or 7 to give for 2008-09...assuming Arthur, Collins and Chalmers leave along with the 5 seniors.

Dick Murdock 7 years, 3 months ago

For undergrads who declare, there should be an unwritten understanding that their scholarship is up for grabs - whether or not they hire an agent. To leave a program in the lurch and not knowing if there is an opening just isn't right. It's a two way street. Sure we support their decision to make big bucks but support the programs desire to be as good as possible without them. Sure they can come back if they decide, but their scholarship may not be waiting for them.

charlestonhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Rush still needs a lot of improvement to be a good NBA player. Pierce was a much better college player than Rush. Pierce stayed until his junior year and got rookie of the year runner up. If Rush leaves this year he will be three and done just like his brother. He should stay one more year and really focus on driving to the basket. This is one of the best classes in a long time, I just don't see Brandon as one of the top twenty. For his sake I hope he comes back.

William James 7 years, 3 months ago

KU-Why do you support the Royals? They are east of the river and fly the Missouri flag at the stadium. They suck too.

KURUSH1530 7 years, 3 months ago

I don't think this draft is that strong at all, after those first two picks there is really nobody I see coming into the NBA and making a difference right away. B. Rush is a sure first rounder and HE GONE. So I say this, I wish Rush would have told us this a little earlier in the week, like before Alex Legion took KU off of his list due to the scholarship situation. Patrick Patterson will be in a Florida uniform next year (guaranteed). So hypothetically looking at next season, without Rush and Wright, our chances can't be too great. I know we still have a large core of our players back, but we might be the second best team in the state next year. Behind you know who to the west.

Matt Kenton 7 years, 3 months ago

From the Star article:

In the past Rush has said he'd withdraw from the draft if he weren't assured he'd be among the top 20 players selected. He backed off of that stance Thursday.

"I just want to end up on a team that's a good fit for me, a team that sees my talent and is going to give me a chance," Rush said.

Just like Julian, once these guys have the mindset of playing in the pros, there's no turning back. Even if he's projected at 30, he's still gone.

Comments like this crack me up: "I'm ready to take the next step," Rush said. "I'm ready to make a better life for me and my family."

I don't know a whole lot about Brandon's personal life, but I can't imagine he or his "family" have it real tough right now.

emeryhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm disappointed, but I think considering the fact that he can still come back with his amateur status, he made the right decision to test the waters. As for whether or not he'll end up in the league next year, I don't think anyone can do anything but speculate. He's projected all over the place (anywhere from 20th pick to early second round) and even if he does get a clear picture of where he's going to be taken, it's unclear where the cut-off will be for him in terms of coming back to school. We all know that Rush going pro will leave us thin on the wing next year, but I don't think we'll be in too much trouble. Even without Rush and Wright, there is so much talent on this team right now. If Rush is gone, look for Arthur and Collins to take over a lot of that scoring. Both are more than capable. We'll be less balanced, but a top-10 team. People shouldn't moan so much about how Brandon deciding late will set us back for recruiting. There wasn't anyone at his position that we were really in the running for besides Legion, and he'd be a major step down. The chance of having Rush back is worth trading against the chance of recruiting an inferior replacement. Maybe getting Legion this year means we don't get a top-15 wing like Osby next year. It might be better to just take the scholarship penalty and get a great SF in 08'. I'm still holding out hope that he'll be back playing for Kansas next year, though!

John Myers 7 years, 3 months ago

I know it's wrong of me, because I really should wish BR the best, but whenever I feel players are making the jump and they're not fully ready, I find myself hoping that they end up getting drafted super low or not at all, just as a sort of "see, you weren't ready after all." It's just a shame that so many players are naive enough to believe all the hype.

ChiJayhawk21 7 years, 3 months ago

I think this draft is very strong.... It may be top heavy... but look at this list of 1st round talent...

Oden, Durant, B. Wright, Horford, J. Green, Brewer, Noah, Hibbert, Julian, Conley Jr, Thorton, N. Young, T. Young, Law, McRoberts, Afflalo, Tucker, Gray, Sean Williams, Fazekas, D. James... the list goes on and on!

sevenyearhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Man, I hate seeing any players leaving early, especially ours ... I REALLY wished the NBA had a policy like the NFL!

Of course I stayed in college for SEVEN years, as evidenced by my handle!

You'd think he'd have learned from his brothers, one went straight to the draft, and didn't one stay four years, this was the one that played for the Lakers?

Any player in any sport: football, basketball, etc ... that leaves early to go pro should be forced to pay some sort of "penalty" like the balance of their scholarship, or the whole scholarship ... it's the least they could do!

ChiJayhawk21 7 years, 3 months ago

sevenyearhawk: here is the info about the Rush brothers...

His oldest brother JaRon went to UCLA and got caught taking cash and was "kicked off" the team... went undrafted and never made it. Kareem played at Mizzou for 3 years before leaving for the NBA... has played for a few teams.

countryjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

i hate this too that kids go, but its just how the times are changing. I've said before that the reason i loved Hinrich and Collison so much is the fact they stayed all four years and Kansas Basketball meant so much to them. They weren't worried about the NBA, now im getting the feeling that many NBA caliber players dont really care about making a final four, they just want to make the best audition for themselves. I'm not talking about Rush and Wright, im just speaking in general the feeling I am getting. If i played for a school like Kansas, UNC, Duke I would want to spend four years there because at these places you are treated like royalty, you have people that care about you.

sevenyearhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

thanks Chi-21,

ok so:

Football makes you stay three years, there really isn't a minor football league (AFL, CFL & NFL-Euro not withstanding)

Basketball, now no direct pro jump, one and done, USED to be like football, couldn't go pro until class graduated (see Chamberlain, Wilt - Globetrotters) minor league in NBDL ...

Baseball, complete farm system, some that attend college go pro (see Gordon, Alex - Nebraska) and may contribute ...

Still, why isn't college baseball as big as football & hoops, and why don't players stay put longer to develop for a pro career.

Aren't you MORE likely to be injured on the gridiron than the hardwood? That whole "I might get injured and lose out on millions" argument just has worn thin with me!

giglr 7 years, 3 months ago

"HIGHLIGHTS" Everyone remember that quote? This guy was an after thought when he was picked up!!! His brother Kareem dis-owned him :)

But.... He's been one of the most exciting players I've had the pleasure of watching at KU. Soooooooo far of what everyone expected. He's been a joy !!

Remember one thing..., we've been KU fans much longer than he has, let him go in peace.

JayCeph 7 years, 3 months ago

sevenyear, I think the fear is that if an injury happens to one guy, that is one guy too many. It spooks the players because they know it is a possibility. I'm not saying it is sound logic but it is the same rationale that keeps some people from flying in planes.

For the record, I'd like the players to stay for their entire eligibility. College is just too short to want to rush it anyway. There is a lot more to this than money... but 'till the players have that money, they won't see this wisdom until they are older.

My granddad always used to say (sometimes) that youth was wasted on the young. ...how true that is.

Joe Ross 7 years, 3 months ago

Fabio...funny!

I've said all season that the power was really concentrated at the top this last season in college basketball. Top seeds advanced to later rounds like hot knives through Country Crock.

Is this relevant???

Sure is! Turns out that the top teams also had the top talent, and if you look at those talents for next year most of them are GONE! If Brandon wants to improve his stock, he could return and not even improve his game appreciably, yet he'd see his position climb simply because the talent ahead of him would have been siphoned off in this year's draft.

Of course if I really knew what I was talking about I'd be making millions as an agent.

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I'll take Self's updated comments at face value. Since he's much closer to the situation than me, obviously, I'll start considering BR's possible return at more like 1 in 20 than better than 50-50. Too bad - I can't see us making a legitimate run at national glory with the team we have right now.

kujayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I'd rather be a 23 year old rookie with a guaranteed contract versus a 22 year old second round pick.

filmhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

first - he's not coming back to the hill - second - i hope he does well and makes us proud - third - we're in for a long season next year

kuhawksr1 7 years, 3 months ago

Must have listened to his brothers too much. They didn't ever light up an NBA floor and, I'm sorry to say, Brandon won't either. He simply isn't ready. How many times did we ask ... where did Brandon go, during a game? How many people had to ask him to get aggressive and go to the hole? The bigger egos in the league will eat him up. Making KU proud may be a bit much to ask ... just don't lay an egg.

trmatlock 7 years, 3 months ago

Brandon- Don't be a chicken. Hire an agent and go for it. You are being selfish. KU has been good to you. Move on, so they can too. Don't keep them hanging. Do what is right. California Jayhawk fanatic.

hawkitup 7 years, 3 months ago

In my honest opinion (whatever that's worth) I think if Rush stays in the draft he will "slip" into the 2nd round. There is no way he's making it into the 1st round with the names that are in the draft right now. Sorry B, but you've been warned...

ku98 7 years, 3 months ago

I like Brandon, but there is no way he is going to be a first rounder. For a 22-year old, his game needs a lot of work. His ball handing is shaky, he lacks aggressiveness on offense, and his defense is only going to help him so much in the NBA, where defense is not necessarily highly regarded. I think he will be picked in the top to mid 2nd round, will play the summer leagues, and get cut in October. He will end up in the NBDL, and later in Europe. Sad...

rockchalkjayhawk4ku11 7 years, 3 months ago

jross... I think it just would have been smarter to stay at Kansas. I no u r saying he still can come back but i just dont think he will do that. They are predicting he will get drafted around lower 20's and that is what he wants. I just think he would have learned from his brothers mistake and just made sure that he was a for sure lottery pick for next year.

Joe Ross 7 years, 3 months ago

rockchalk...

It's really anyone's guess as to whether he returns or not. At this point, Brandon doesn't even know--that's why he's testing the waters. Counting on going in the lower twenties is a very dangerous proposition for him; he could easily slip to the second round if those predictions are in fact true. You definitely don't want to be a second-rounder! You think it would have been better to just stay at Kansas instead of declaring without an agent? Why?

I agree he should learn from Kareem's stint in the NBA and return, but that is his personal decision and he will bear the consequences of it alone...for better or worse, and that's where you pretty much have to leave it as a fan because it's out of our hands.

jaybate 7 years, 3 months ago

First, good for Brandon.

Second, bad for KU.

Third, where this may all be headed is that coaches at premier programs are going to start recruiting the top ten or fifteen players even harder and if they can attract an anchor player like an Oden out of their LOI this time of year, then they are going to cut loose guys like Brandon. What I would be doing right now, if I were Bill Self (if it were legal), is putting out the word that if any top guy wants to jump his LOI at another school and come to KU (i.e., guys who wanted to come to KU but didn't because of crowding at a position), KU will pull Brandon's scholie and give it to the new blue chipper effective immediately.

Increasingly, it will all come down to whether you can get some one to jump who is better than the guy you are waiting on to see if he's going to the L.

This will drive a guy like Brandon's bargaining power with the pros down significantly. In effect, he will have no alternative to the pros and they will jerk him around accordingly.

This is all going to get very brutal in a bargaining sense over the next couple years.

The schools are going to take the gloves off very soon.

Chancellors, ADs and HBCs don't have the humility to permit themselves to be played by college kids for long.

kltbadboyz 7 years, 3 months ago

I've always disliked Rush for coming to KU and ruining Micah Downs career here by taking up his pt at the small forward position. Haha jus playing!

Imagine how Downs felt when Rush committed to KU, i wonder if he thought he would beat out Rush for pt or if he knew he was screwed

Rush probably has about a 25% chance right now of gettin drafted in the first round because there are about 5-10 foreign guys that will also go in the first round. The only way I see him being around 20 is if he plays and shoots good in the predraft camps and shuts down some of the other big guards and small forwards ahead of him (Durant, Green, Brewer, Julian, Al Thorton, Nick Young, Thad Young, Marcus Williams, Afflalo, Tucker, Cook, Byars, and a couple foreign guys are proabably all ahead of Rush) Either do well in the pre draft camps or get some front office help from a Jayhawk alum, which is highly unlikely (Pritchard, Randall, Jo Jo White)

Good luck BRush! Rock Chalk Jayhawk

ben_brown69 7 years, 3 months ago

...... just wait until next year at this time when Collins, Arthur, Chalmers leave, and Russel and Kaun and Jackson graduate......that is really going to suck big time

filmhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

thanks for the reminder ben. i'm gonna need more beer.

lumpegravy 7 years, 3 months ago

I loved how Brandon was an unselfish all-around good player that the hawks could center around these last two years. I think that he will eventually become a good player in the NBA even if it takes a couple years. Brandon, I'd just like to say you were one of my favorite players ever and I wish you good luck at the next level.

Joe Ross 7 years, 3 months ago

lumpegravy...

You know what. You bring up one of the best points posted so far. I mean when we all watched Brandon these last couple of years we all--and I include myself--were surprised. Here was a kid with God-given natural talent with a GREAT ATTITUDE. Surprise!

Good work ethic. Surprise!

Not in trouble with the law. Semi-surprise.

And the biggest surprise of all? HIS UNSELFISHNESS!

How many times did commentators play it up that Brandon was "TOO" free-hearted, and didn't taken enough of the game into his own hands. But no. This kid played within a team concept and did what Bill Self asked him to do, and willingly!

People...it's time for Brandon to be selfish. He's got his own future to think about. None of us have anything on the line if he makes the wrong decision. He's a real kid with real decisions about his future on the table. It will affect the rest of his life.

Appropriately so, the comments haven't been too hard on Brandon. Great kid with a lot of class. If he's gone, we can only wish him well. If he comes back we should be quick to embrace him.

Rock Chalk B-Rush...

actorman 7 years, 3 months ago

"Just my opinion, but it seems like guys still left this late in the game for 2007 are either DIVAS, or have question marks surrounding them that makes them a suspect recruit."

So which one does that make Arthur, a DIVA or a suspect recruit?

"Basketball, now no direct pro jump, one and done, USED to be like football, couldn't go pro until class graduated (see Chamberlain, Wilt - Globetrotters)"

Maybe back in Wilt's day players couldn't leave early, but even in the '70s they had the "hardship" rule (see Moses Malone, Daryl Dawkins, etc.). So this isn't that new; it's just the NUMBER of players leaving early that's off the chart.