Friday, April 27, 2007

Boschee takes over program

Former Kansas University basketball standout Jeff Boschee has landed his first head coaching job.

Boschee, a four-year starter for Roy Williams' Jayhawks from 1998 to 2002 who worked as an assistant boys coach at Blue Valley Northwest the past two years, on Thursday was named head boys coach at The Barstow School, an independent Class 2A high school in Kansas City, Mo.

"I'm extremely excited. It's a good opportunity for me, the first time I've got my own program," Boschee said.

"I talked to coach Williams about it quite a bit. I was skeptical at first about coaching high school. Coach said he was in high school five years and it helped him tremendously. He said it's a good path to go down career-wise."

Barstow is a Class 2A school on the Missouri side of the state line.

"This is a good starting position for me," said the 27-year-old Boschee. "I will not say I'll be there forever. I think it'll be good to get some game experience. It'll make me a better coach. My ultimate goal is to get in college coaching."

After graduating from KU with a degree in sports management, Boschee played professionally in the USBL, ABA and Europe. Currently, Boschee is the founder, trainer and coach of the Jeff Boschee Basketball Academy. His academy's mission focuses on training athletes on the fundamentals of basketball, while fostering discipline, motivation and teamwork.

"I feel very fortunate that I will be involved with highly successful kids, parents and staff at Barstow," Boschee said.

Former KU coach Williams, who is now at North Carolina, said he's convinced Boschee, who was a high school standout in Valley City, N.D., will succeed in coaching.

"I think they've got a guy who is going to be a tremendous coach, has been a tremendous worker at the game and I think this will be the start of a fantastic career for a great young man," Williams said. "He won so many games for us just because he was fundamentally sound and he was also so competitive that he didn't mind taking the big shot and I think that his competitiveness will help him in his coaching career."

¢ Recruiting: Self made a recruiting trip Thursday to Chicago to visit DeAndre Liggins, a 6-foot-5, 190-pound junior guard/forward from Washington High. Liggins, the No. 90-rated player in the Class of 2008, told Rivals.com he has a top five of KU, Memphis, Purdue, Illinois and Kentucky.

¢ TV deal reached: The Big 12 Conference and ESPN have reached a new eight-year agreement calling for coverage of football, men's and women's basketball and several other sports beginning in 2008-09 and continuing through 2015-16.

As part of the agreement, ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 will offer extensive Big 12 action, while ESPNU will have significantly more Big 12 coverage with up to 50 exclusive games each year plus weekly studio programming.

In men's basketball there will be the addition of a weekly ESPN2 game on Wednesdays during conference play. The Big 12 will continue to have its Big Monday slot on ESPN and a Saturday game on ESPN or ESPN2.

"I think it's great exposure for the league and will be even better if we can get the Big 12 championship game moved to Saturday (instead of Sunday)," Self said. Moving the title game to Saturday could happen as soon as the 2008-09 season, the first year of the new contract.

Comments

bmcmich1 14 years, 6 months ago

Congrats to Jeff. Also, great news on the ESPN deal

yovoy 14 years, 6 months ago

yeah, studying latin (solipsistic - impressive, and quite 101) and philosophy AREN'T for everyone that comes to larryville. it was for me for awhile. i guess all signees should be required to take those courses though. we wouldn't want them to leave early and be thought of as shallow.

i never said that money was the only thing worth aiming for. selfishness/over self-awareness (in choosing to leave early) can easily be pointed at and overgeneralized as going for the bling. my argument is NOT any more insipid than yours. sure, sure, you're talking enlightenment but open that third-eye to the possibility that these people are doing what they truly believe is the best thing for themselves, and (gasp) family and friends. that doesn't sound overly egocentric. maybe they'll do more with their money than just buy escalades - i'd hope so. it's just poor to assume/assert that others SHOULD do anything. it is my honest belief that the main knock is that these young, gifted, and black men are being successful. if they go for the bling, so what? it is wrong-minded to chide these young men for "going for theirs". it's also wrong-minded to expect people that haven't generally had much to make good decisions when they're presented with visions that tell them they might end up having more than they've ever had.

do these things cloud their judgement? yup, and i'd say more times than not. should they aspire to more, absolutely, so we agree there. i don't think it's my place to condemn them for oftentimes not handling it well. do i think b-rush is ready for the league? nope. would i be disappointed if he failed? yup, but it's HIS career, not mine, so i don't worry too much about it, and i was just trying to encourage you (and others) to do the same.

i'm not sure how boschee would help us as an assistant. granted he did more with hard work and heart that lots of others have done with talent alone, and maybe he could help to inspire recruits/players with that, but he'd more likely do it for the previous coach.

JayCeph 14 years, 6 months ago

Boschee should team up with Hinrich's dad (who coaches @ North KC High) and really shake up the 2A division with a level of dominance not seen since the Rush brothers were @ Pembroke Hill.

Speaking of the Rush brothers, what are the odds that any of them will ever end up with a college degree?

yovoy 14 years, 6 months ago

what are the odds that 2/3 of them will see more of the world, more of the country, and live more comfortably than those of us (on here) WITHOUT a degree? who cares if any of them have one? they went to college to train for their future (like we did). they've trained, and they're working. they'll also be able to "retire" before most of us.

JayCeph 14 years, 6 months ago

Wow, touchy. Didn't mean to get your ruffles in a feather... just asking a question. A question that is rooted more in the history of that trio of brothers and their track-record in the League (post college).

No harm, no foul. I hope they all become kazillionaires. Happy?

Money can only go so far. With it or without it, our intelligence and ability to use our minds is a pretty key differentiator from the rest of the 'great unwashed.'

kcmostwanted 14 years, 6 months ago

well..the truth is (believe it or not) School is not meant for everyone.. I'm sure you all know that too.. It's just that some people were meant to do other things... You know God gave us all individual talent.. School is great for those who have the mind, focus, and motivation... I'm not knocking on those that don't succeed in school, just saying that if they're content w/ what they're doing then that should be fine w/ the rest of us.... Why do people insist guys like Rush stay and get his degree... Deep inside he probably wants to, but school's probably hard for him (just as it is for most of us) and his true passion is playing Pro Basketball... I hate to see him leave but i don't blame the kid for chasing his dreams...

yovoy 14 years, 6 months ago

not touchy (feathers in a ruffle, how droll) just sick of people that place the value of what amounts to mental mediocrity (and sometimes genius) in school higher than it does physical giftedness. the people that think a degree (or things that supposedly come with it) necessarily differentiates them from the 'great unwashed' are wrong. being a smart, decent human being is NOT guaranteed by a degree, or staying in school. i bet the opinion of these guys would be different if these players were leaving to play golf or tennis. they'd be applauded if they were leaving school to start their own business.

school isn't for everyone (great point), either way, it the rush millions are none of our business.

JayCeph 14 years, 6 months ago

yovoy, I'm not against 'physical giftedness' nor do I think they need to complete college to be a success in the world. I just think it is amusing (absurd?) that people think the only aspect of this point that isn't tied to an education is all about the 'bling.'

The whole money, being able to retire before the rest of us, etc. debate is insipid and solipsistic.

I want nothing but the best for the Rush brothers. I was just pointing out that the other two who didn't stay and finish their degree (ie- left early for the League) didn't fare as well as they had hoped. JaRon, because he defeated himself, and Kareem because of the competitiveness of the league.

In fact, any critique that I might have on behalf of Brandon's decision to leave early is predicated on the fact that I'd hate to see him fail.

So, go on and make your arguments about how money is the only thing worth aiming for. I'll continue to harp on the need to find a more intrinsic value in the things one does and learns.

ku98 14 years, 6 months ago

I hope HCBS hires Boschee in a few years as an assistant. Jeff is a good guy, a smart basketball player, and he could help us greatly with his experience.