Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Self pays visit to Legion Wednesday

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self was out on the recruiting trail on Wednesday. He visited Alex Legion, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va.

Legion, the 45th ranked prospect in the class of 2007 by rivals.com, was recently relseased from his Letter of Intent at the University of Michigan, following the firing of former coach Tommy Amaker.

Legion, originally from Detroit, Mich., will visit Kentucky this weekend.

The combo guard played at Country Day High in the Detroit suburbs for three years before playing at Oak Hill as a senior.

His short list after decommitting from Michigan for the second time still includes the Wolverines, along with Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA and UConn Legion's mother, Annette Williams was quoted in Wednesday's Detroit Free Press as saying that she is strongly against both UConn and UCLA. The story focused on Williams discrediting Tim Green, the principal at Allen Academy in Detroit and a man who Legion 'has referred to as his godfather and mentor,' the paper said.

"I want to make it clear, Tim Green is not part of this process," Williams told the Free Press. "I'm tired of him trying to persuade my son against the University of Michigan and his family."

"I've been quiet for four years, but Tim Green does not speak for my son, and I'm tired of him trying to make decisions for my son. Mr. Green wants my son to go to Connecticut or UCLA, but my son will go to neither institution."

Legion was recruited to Michigan by former coach Tommy Amaker, who was fired at the season's end and replaced with West Virginia's John Beilein. The new coach and the Michigan program is still on the radar of Legion's camp.

"I really like what I'm hearing about Beilein," she said. "I really want to thank (Country Day) coach (Kurt) Keener, who has talked very positively about my son to coach Beilein. We just needed to get rid of Tim Green."

Comments

filmhawk 14 years, 6 months ago

i don't think legion's mom likes tim green.

techa 14 years, 6 months ago

One has to question the wisdom of recruiting individuals that are so indecisive, and whose parents appear not to be helping the situation. The last time this happened? KU recruited a guy who ended up in the Gonzaga backcourt.

kc_wildfire 14 years, 6 months ago

Why is he indecisive?

He picked a school, the coach was fired. Now the process starts all over.

Jeremy Bolinger 14 years, 6 months ago

so, im guessing that he will come to ku or kentucky by reading this artcile.........morningstar has already offered to give up his scholarship for a season, and this would be a good move. adding more guard depth, and getting a quality player. I know its not done yet, but this kid was pretty high on us before he committed to Michigan. Also, I guess I dont understand why Michigan would still be in it if he wanted to be realeased from his scholly......

KSev4KU 14 years, 6 months ago

Wasn't Brandon Rush a little indecisive?

hawkitup 14 years, 6 months ago

kc_wildfire, the guy committed to Michigan then de-committed, then re-committed and signed and now has been released from his letter of intent. It sounds a little indecisive...

beebe1 14 years, 6 months ago

Anyone who read the stuff at MU would be aware that the kid is especially greedy, and likely to be a real pain if he isn't made the star. I don't think we should bother with him.

JayCeph 14 years, 6 months ago

I just can't make up my mind... should I like this guy or not?

I think I do. Nope, never mind. Now I don't.

Wait a minute... I like him again.

Oh, I just don't know.

Robin Smith 14 years, 6 months ago

don't fault the kid for trying to make the right decision. this is the only time he's going to be picking a college and it will have an affect on his future. weighing the options and taking time to make your decision are not the same as being indecisive (which connotes negative waffling). not all of the cards have been dealt and it is wise for him to sit on his hand and see what happens, ie Rush declaring and other myriads of conditions.

people said the same stuff about Arthur when he was deciding

they said other stuff about Rush

and they also questioned Wright

Micah left for legit reasons. transferring is a standard thing to do and has little to do with supposed ego.

so chill, he is a child at a crossroad

also it would be a very great boon for KU to land this fellow and I'd be glad enough for all of us if he chose the premier bball program in the country (by which I mean KU for all you jokers who like to misconstrue)

14 years, 6 months ago

Jayceph:

Were do you stand on the guy from "Everybody Loves Raymond" who recently kicked us to the curb?

JayCeph 14 years, 6 months ago

I'm feeling rather conflicted in convictions as of late. Sometimes I am adamant about being definitive but then I acquiesce to the ambiguity in my heart and remain directionless. Lost in a sea of opportunity...

You?

14 years, 6 months ago

I could not disagree less. While I would like to call his decision sour grapes, I am reticent to do so. I mean, he is just an actor.

So many social engagements, so little time...

ralsterKUMed95 14 years, 6 months ago

"Lost in a sea of opportunity"--beautiful comment that describes alot of young adults, it seems...now to the topic about guard recruiting:

Pretty hard to judge the highschool guard and forecast what he can do in college. Nice examples can be found on our own recent rosters: Downs (not athletic enough defensively, not quick enough offensively to create his own shot, ie; no first step), Case (ditto), Morningstar (ditto). These guys might contribute greatly to an MVC or non-top10 team, but not here--too much talent ahead of them, without question. While I may smile when the walk-ons even farther down the roster get a chance to play, from a very businesslike approach, I wonder why we bother with 6ft tall walkons?????? When you have players like Rodrick Stewart at 6'4", strong and real quick, who also cannot get playing time, alot of those guys from Case on downwards have no fair chance here. Now for the exceptional highschool players who are also exceptional in college from year one: Collins, Chalmers, Wright, maybe Arthur (solid and carried us first several games), Langford. This year it was painful to look at a bench full of players who cannot contribute at the Top 5 program level even as a sub. I also am reminded of how thin we were on the bench 2-3 yrs ago and had Moody as a starter(!), who at best was a good, proven bench role-player (again, at a program of KU's stature..). Although it may seem trite to complain about a bench full of guys in uniform, you also wonder if lot of these guys could be starters and good contributors at mid-majors...

14 years, 6 months ago

Lest we not forget Billy Packer's proclamation from the '04-'05 season, "I think Christian Moody might be the best walk-on player in the history of college basketball."

Here's a fairly recent article on what he's been up to lately:

ralsterKUMed95 14 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I remember that Billly Packer comment...As vital of a role player Moody proved to be that season, and as much as we all loved and rooted for him, I think most KU fans knew instantly deep down that Mr. Packer was making a most generous and emotional heat-of-the-moment statement.