Friday, April 6, 2007

Huggy’s departure doesn’t stun Self

Bill Self, who was in Allen Fieldhouse preparing for his first recruiting trip of the spring AAU season Thursday, wasn't stunned to learn of Bob Huggins' decision to leave rival Kansas State after just one season.

"I'm not shocked. Whenever an alma mater is involved things like this can happen," Self, Kansas University's fourth year coach, said when asked for his reaction to Huggins accepting the head coaching position at his alma mater, West Virginia.

KSU athletic director Tim Weiser and president Jon Wefald at a Thursday afternoon news conference said they understood Huggins' desire to return home, but flat out said it was not right for the popular coach to leave so soon after his arrival in Manhattan.

"They talk about the timing. When is the timing ever right?" Self said of coaching changes. "The timing wasn't right for me to leave Illinois. People will always say the timing is not right. If Bob could pick the timing he would not have picked this.

"I feel bad for K-State and happy for Bob if this is what he wants," Self added. "I will not judge anybody over this."

Self said it was impossible to assess any blame.

"It's difficult for anybody to pick sides in a situation like this," Self said. "Rarely does anybody know all the facts. As a coach you usually don't pick the timing."

Self's Jayhawks went 3-0 versus Huggins' first KSU team this past season.

"I'd say personally I'm disappointed," Self said. "I look forward to competing against Bob."

Self was quick to answer when asked if Huggins' decision was bad news for the Big 12.

"No," he said. "Bob was a great addition to the Big 12, but K-State will make a great hire. Their presence (in basketball) hasn't been based on one person. I'm sure they will make a great hire."

Huggins bolts K-State for West Virginia

One and done! That is the legacy Bob Huggins will leave behind at Kansas State University as the basketball head coach. Huggins accepted a deal with West Virginia to coach their basketball program.

KU athletic director Lew Perkins felt for Weiser and Wefald.

Weiser worked for Perkins four years at Wichita State.

"I have a great deal of respect for Dr. Wefald, Tim and Robert Krause (vice president for institutional advancement)," Perkins said of those individuals who held a joint news conference Thursday to discuss Huggins' move.

"They negotiated in good faith with their basketball coach. I think they did everything they possibly could. It's unfortunate these kind of things happen. I don't feel sorry for those guys because they are very strong people, very good people, and they'll land on their feet," Perkins added, "but I do feel bad for the whole basketball program at the university. I know they made a major commitment to coach Huggins and his staff. It's just unfortunate they (the coaches) were not able to live up to their end of it. Tim will do all the right things, and K-State will come out in a position I think where they will be very successful."

Perkins said he took no delight in seeing KSU basketball in a state of unrest.

"Oh gosh no," Perkins said. "I think this is not good for basketball. It's not good for the state of Kansas. It's not good for K-State. It's not good for the Big 12. But it happens. It's like the kid who has a free throw to win the game, misses the free throw but scored 30 points. Do you blame the kid for losing the game? It's over. It's done. You put it all behind you.

"I will talk to Tim. If there's anything I can do to help him and help that university, I would certainly do that. We are all in this together. As we always said, if K-State, Missouri and Nebraska are strong, that will help us be strong."

Perkins said he'd give this advice if asked his opinion: "I admire those guys in how they handled the press conference. After that I'd go home, wake up tomorrow morning and say, 'OK, what do I have to do to make sure K-State comes out on top of this whole thing?' That's what they have to expend their energy on. I really believe those guys will do it."

¢ Keating's son lands job: UCLA assistant Kerry Keating, the 35-year-old son of KU senior associate AD Larry Keating, is the new head coach at Santa Clara.

"It's a great opportunity for him," Larry Keating said Thursday. "He is really excited. It turned out to be even better than he thought. He's ready."

Of Santa Clara, Larry Keating said: "It's a great program, the best athletic program in that (West Coast) Conference. They have to do some things to catch Gonzaga but have upgraded the program considerably in recent years."

Keating said his son could have remained at UCLA and possibly been hired at a big-name program a year or two down the line or taken this mid-major route.

"I always thought it was important to, in your first job, not have it be overwhelming," Keating said. "The other way worked out well for Roy (Williams) at KU, but that doesn't always happen. It's not just about the coaching, but being able to handle it all. Bill (Self) would tell you the best thing he did was work at Oral Roberts. You are more prepared for the pressure."

Comments

mojayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Too bad for K State and for the Big 12. Huggy was going to help make our conference stronger.

On another note, gee what what a shame it would be if Michael Beasley would jump off the Wildcat ship and end up at our house!!??!!??

skragglydoo 7 years, 4 months ago

he'd have to sit a year so there's a scholarship. not happening anyway.

seattlehawk_78 7 years, 4 months ago

Sutton, Sampson, Huggins and now Gillispie. This is not good.

spongebob 7 years, 4 months ago

Aren't all of our scholarships filled?

overseashawk 7 years, 4 months ago

He'd have to sit out a year so he's probably not going to end up anywhere else. Since he's a one and done type player he could end up overseas and not going to K-State at all. I agree with mojayhawk....Huggins could have done alot for the Big 12. I don't think K-State will be able to land a big name though. There aren't too many good coaches available at the moment. Tommy Amaker who just got fired from Michigan is an option..... They could always hire Rex Walters :-)

kushaw 7 years, 4 months ago

I think Matt Doherty would be a good hire. Everyone forgets about him, and this would be a great chance to get back in the top seat. I think he got screwed at UNC, but that's my personal opinion. Plus, I think Matt learned a lot from that experience and plus he would have a ton of energy and fire to prove everyone wrong. Just a thought.

kushaw 7 years, 4 months ago

I also think K-State needs to figure this coach thing out in a hurry. They will need someone with an edge. They had the prefect guy in Huggy and I'm sad to see him go. They need someone who has JUCO networking that can get that tough hard-nosed kid into their program. I mean, K-State is in the backyard of the greatest JUCO basketball in the country. I also like the idea of K-State offering a ton of money to a guy like Greg Marshall of Winthrop. Marshall could get those guys in Beasley and Walker to stay. I also like Bobby Lutz and Mckillop (Davidson Coach). K-State will never Lure a guy from the MVC b/c right now the MVC thinks it's a better conference then the Big 12.

nebraska_jayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Also if someone transfers within conference they lose a year of eligibility. Remember Luke Axtell? He transferred to KU after his freshman year at Texas and only got to play two years here.

Joe Ross 7 years, 4 months ago

"I'm not shocked. Whenever an alma mater is involved things like this can happen," Self, Kansas University's fourth year coach, said..."He had the opportunity to go home. Circumstances were unique. Obviously going home was a factor."

Nice quote.

cpham23 7 years, 4 months ago

"As we always said, if K-State, Missouri and Nebraska are strong, that will help us be strong."

Notice he didnt' even bother mentioning Colorado. Poor guys. haha

And another note, don't bother dreaming Beasley will be coming here, he's a thug and he's already got the mind set that's he's leaving for the nba, he's just filling time by going to college.

He'll most likely follow Huggins, nobody else will coach thugs.

Kyle Rohde 7 years, 4 months ago

Yeah....kind of a cryptic comment from Self, hope that isn't revealing a deep-down desire to return to OSU.

Chicago_JHawk 7 years, 4 months ago

I don't think Self would ever leave here for OSU. KU is on another level than OSU - leaving for Stillwater would be a step backwards career wise. KSU to WVU is at worst a sidestep.

As for Beasley, he could go anywhere and play right away if KSU released him from his scholarship. Bill Walker, though, is screwed.

chase353 7 years, 4 months ago

I may be wrong but under the new NCAA rules K-State can grant Beasley a Rel. and since he is not a member of K-State he would not have to set a year (when a coach leaves). Look at James (TX), Reynolds (Nova), they were both at OK when Kelvin Left for IN. Walker on the other hand is already a part of the program he would set a year.

chezlog 7 years, 4 months ago

I'm pretty sure kids can transfer after head coaching changes without sitting out for a year. Isn't that what Baylor's players did a couple of years ago (eg. John Lucus to Oklahoma State.)

kraus42 7 years, 4 months ago

Baylors situation was unique. That was granted directly from the NCAA. Walker would be sitting no matter where he transfered to, and as long as K-State releases Beasley he can step right in and play his 1 year and bolt.

kraus42 7 years, 4 months ago

jpstrayer-CJ will not be able to play until 2nd semester next year.

Dr_Hawkenstein 7 years, 4 months ago

chezlog, that was a special circumstance because of the murder, etc...

I don't feel happy about what happened to KSU but they kinda got what they bargained for. They were warned that Huggins was a weirdo and would only stay as long as it was beneficial for him. Unfortunately, it was only beneficial for him until basically any other decent job was offered to him. He used KSU, plain and simple.

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 4 months ago

walker would have to transfer because he was already enrolled in classes, and already played. Beasly would have to be released from his letter of intent, and then could sign anywhere he pleases. We have 2 players on scholarship that have already stated they would be willing to give up their scholarship if needed. Brady Morningstar and Matt Kleinman. But it is an almost certain that Michael Beasly would go to ku, in fact, I guarantee that the wouldnt be here. The only reason he went to k-state was because of Dalonte Hill. Hill was an assistant last season with Charlotte University, the previous school that Beasly was committed to. So my guess is that wherever Hill goes, Beasly would be quick to follow. Kansas State fans better hope for their sake, that they hire Dalonte Hill as their coach to ensure that this recruiting class remains intact.

palewhale 7 years, 4 months ago

I guess players aren't the only ones doing "one and done" these days.

It's unfortunate but that's the way things are...too bad, I was hoping for an actual rivalry.

quigley 7 years, 4 months ago

I just don't think the bar scene was good enough for Huggins at K-State. He didn't have to drive home after drinking there, and that was weird for him.

caddie733 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey jhwkfan1625...let's not drag Billy Gillespie into anything. I think he is a very respectably guy who is also a very good coach. There's no comparing Kentucky and A&M. If you think Gillespie just used A&M and is not a good guy for doing so, then you would basically being saying the same thing about Bill Self and him leaving Illinois for Kansas.

I think the Big 12, as a whole, is definitely worse off without Gillespie, Huggins, and even going back to Sampson. Hopefully the K-State and A&M vacancies will be filled by young, talented coaches.

KU 7 years, 4 months ago

Regarding Beasley being released from him letter of intent--I don't think it's considered a transfer, so he should be able to go to any school in the country he chooses.

Look at what happened with the 2 kids Oklahoma recruited last year. When Sampson jumped ship for Indiana, they both selected another school--Villanova and Texas--and both played this year.

jehillia 7 years, 4 months ago

So what makes someone a "thug"? Just Because Beasley didn't grow up in Beverly Hills doesn't make him "thug"...he's taking advantage of a gift God gave him and making it out of the "ghetto"/"hood"....uh I don't see anyone calling Sherron Collins a thug....and he came from the streets just like Beasley

caddie733 7 years, 4 months ago

Good point jehillia...but what do you expect from ignorant people (doesn't help that this is KS either)...I was at the Royals game yesterday and people were yelling at not only Dice-K, but Japanese fans to "Go back to Japan"...uncalled for.

hawkitup 7 years, 4 months ago

You can't compare Gillespie leaving A&M for Kentucky to Huggins leaving K-State for WVU. Completely different scenarios. I wouldn't blame Gillespie for leaving A&M to go to Kentucky. I do believe that Huggins kind of messed over Walker and Beasley. If I was K-State, I wouldn't let Beasley out of his letter of intent. He's one and done anyway so who cares?

KU 7 years, 4 months ago

hawkitup......I agree with your take on Gillespie, but it would be a strategic error for KSU to disallow Bealsey to go somewhere else. In the future, competing coaches would use that against the school in recruiting wars. (Granted, KSU rarely has any recruiting "wars".......more like recruiting "skirmishes with mid-major programs.) "If you sign with KSU and their coach bolts, they'll pull a Beasley on you." That would be a pretty powerful argument because I don't know many people that would spend an extra hour in Manhattan unless they absolutely HAD to or WANTED to.

bmcmich1 7 years, 4 months ago

Ha, love it KU! Mancrappan is such a dump...

RckChalkJeff 7 years, 4 months ago

I agree. Screw k-suck...screw the rivalry. They suck..will always suck... this is perfect for their crappy program.

Buh bye Huggieville...

tdub 7 years, 4 months ago

Beasley is as good as gone to WVU. He only committed to KSU because he "always wanted to play for Huggins." As some have said, KSU really has no choice but to grant him release to avoid looking like stiffs. Now, he'll follow his hero to the Big East. Walker's stuck, but he doesn't care because he won't have to share the ball w/ Beasley and he'll improve his '08 draft stock. I'm all for a more competitive north division, but I prefer it to be so while KSU and MU remain doormats. This goes a long way towards insuring that.

scottku1 7 years, 4 months ago

When coaches leave in the middle of their current contract they should have to sit out a year just players have to do. It really is not that much different. If that was a rule by the NCAA that would help cut down on all of the back stabbing and lying that is going on right now. And its far from the end. K-state, A&M, Arkansas still have to hire new coaches.

I understand that Huggins left to go home. But wow, 1 year in Manhattan after they gave him a second chance when basically no other schools would. Manhattan must really suck.

Beasley should be let out of his letter of intent to K-State. He is a kid. An kid should not be punished because the coach that had been recruiting him for 3-5 previous years just spit in his face. I do believe that kids should sign with a SCHOOL! Not the coach, since they can up and leave whenever they want. No penalities, basically nothing at all. If K-State does not let him out thats wrong. Don't mess with a kids future whether its basketball or whatever just to spite a jackass coach(Huggins).

Rock chalk!! Hurry up Late Night!!

Michael Leiker 7 years, 4 months ago

This hurts KU. Our team will never be able to show up for 6 straight games unless they are forced to get used to doing it on a consistent basis in league play. Playing Huggins twice a year would do nothing but help KU in March. I hate that he is gone, I miss this rivalry and enjoyed the fact that there was some hype around the game in Manhattan.

Now, at the same time, I'm going to suggest that KU fans buy every Huggieville T-shirt they can find and wear them to the football and basketball games in Manhattan next year with a KU hat. The guy negotiated at 100k buyout into his deal, if KSU's AD was naive enough to think he was going to be hanging around for a while, then he got what he had coming.

Craig Lang 7 years, 4 months ago

I agree that Gillespie's bolt for Kentucky is nothing compared to Huggins' slighting of K-State. Three years is a decent amount of time for a good coach to stay in a low-quality program like A & M. Gillespie invested just enough in that program to make it viable for at least two more years, regardless of who takes over. Huggins did not invest enough time in the Wildcats' program to turn it around. He needed at least one more year for that, and he didn't give it time.

If Huggins' recruits bolt to West Virginia, then I want KU to plan a non-conference match against the Mountaineers. I want the Jayhawks to prove that they would have beaten Huggins' squad no matter who was on that team!

It's hard to believe that in the past two seasons, the Big 12 has lost Sampson, Eddie Sutton, Gillespie and Huggins (not to mention Snyder). If the Big 12 has been so weak lately, then why are all the other power conferences targeting our coaches?

KURUSH1530 7 years, 4 months ago

I've got to say something.. Poster name "KU"- In case you didn't know, even though they announce it every time Self and Gillespie face each other, Gillespie was an assistant under Self at Tulsa and Illinois..Gillespie was a mastermind when it came to recruiting at those two programs while he was there. Brought in a lot of talent that eventually led them both to the elite eight if i'm not mistaken?

And another thing, I haven't even heard a name mentioned that I believe is the best coach in the big 12 right now. And that would be Scott Drew from Baylor..I know people will want to argue about this one.

JHawkJunkie74 7 years, 4 months ago

Huggins used Kansas State just like the rebound girlfriend from high school. K-State wasn't a small school, but big enough for Huggins to turn around, clear up his name and get his face plastered back on TV for a better job. I thought that Huggins would leave for a better job sooner or later, not after 1 year though.

I heard on WIBW radio yesterday after the press conference that K-State doesn't release players who have signed thier letters of intent. However I heard Beasley was recruited more by one of Huggins assistants than by Huggins himself.

Finally, I have family that lives in Manhattan, and everytime I went there and saw a billboard for K-State basketball, it seemed that K-State was billing more the fact they they had Bob Huggins, instead of billing K-State basketball.

Rock Chalk Jayhawks Go KU!!

scottku1 7 years, 4 months ago

Dear Mr. Huggie

With all that has gone on the past few weeks, especially with you Mr. Huggie. Where are your loyaltys???? You want your recruits to stay with your school 2,3 maybe 4 years and actually graduate. But inturn you do not stay that long yourself. You were in Manhattan for 1 year. And leaving alot of fans very, very P.O. at you. Rightfully so I might add. Seriouly how can you look Beasley, Walker etc. in the eye??? Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmm... Not sure how you can sleep at night.

KU 7 years, 4 months ago

Lalaw.......It's not that power conferences are targeting Big 12 coaches. It's that power TEAMS in power conferences are targeting Big 12 coaches. You can't call OU to Indiana, aTM to UK, or KSU to WVU a lateral move or a step back. Those are steps UP because of the respective PROGRAMS, not necessarily the conference.

KURUSH1530 7 years, 4 months ago

K-State's president was interviewed in an article and said that he would not consider releasing the layers of there LOI until a new coach was hired. So, there is still a possibility that Beasley and Co. could follow.

CaramelMacchMan 7 years, 4 months ago

What the Fu@k?

Billy Gillespe said "What an honor to be here(place like Kentucky), where basicly the game of Basketball was invented."

Can anyone wanna tell him that he got hired at UK not KU! Thanks!

Or i'm missing something here!

jayhawkcafefan57 7 years, 4 months ago

OK, huggy is gone and now billy is off to Kentucky. It looks to me like an exodus; coach in a conference where your team gets more respect.

havoc4prez 7 years, 4 months ago

bill's quote about alma mater's better not be some precedent for accepting a job at the floundering-of-late OSU program. the thought makes me sick.

Mr_Sandman 7 years, 4 months ago

Gillespie sounded like a moron at his press conference. I think that he forgot his box of chocolates at the bus stop. Holy Crap! He forgot what people were asking him, and the answers he gave (see above) were ridiculous. As far as Huggie goes, good riddance. We can make up for a weak Big 12 with non-conference games. We don't need a guy to bring thugs to our conference and give the Purple idiots any false hope.

Joel Hood 7 years, 4 months ago

KSU and A&M will take years to recover from losing these coaches. KSU will not be able to keep Beasley and Walker around for more than a year or so at best. It will hurt KSU in the long run to play hardball with Beasley - what future blue-chip prospects would want to go to school that treats recruits that way??? A&M will never find a coach like Gillespie - especially with Barnes locking down the best within the state.

dek9219 7 years, 4 months ago

If KSU doesn't release Beasley from his LOI he can only play in Europe and not for any other school in the US. But, it would be stupid if they don't release him because no other big name player will ever sign with them again, so my guess is after Wefald and Wieser think this through, and if they don't hire Hill, they will end up releasing him. However, I think he will stay at KSU if they can hire Delonte Hill.

filmhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

here's how it's going to go down - walker is going to play for the cats this year, and strugle with the length of the season and not live up to his nba reputation - maybe suffer a sophomore slump - and slide right out of the first round.

and beasley - he's going to USC to play with OJ. k-state would shoot itself in the foot big time if they don't let him out of his LOI - and don't think for a second that he doesn't want out. the number one recruit in the country may follow somebody to manhattan if that person has proven he can transition players to the nba like huggins, but he's not going to play for a career high school coach and an AAU leach who has to date been responsible for lining up sneakers, rental vans, and age verification paperwork for tournements.

oh - and - colorado will make the tourney before k-state.

Lance Hobson 7 years, 4 months ago

So who's hosting the silver anniversary party??

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 4 months ago

sutton, retirement..........samspon, storied college basketball program............thuggins, total and complete moron, plus dirty bastard and headed where he belongs, and he returned home, no fault in that............Gillespe, storied basketball program. Im not worried about the fate of the Big 12, because there will be new coaches that will prove themselves. However, seattlehawk_78, where is Barry Collier, Ricardo Patton, Quin Snyder, and Wayne Morgan? The truth is, we have seen a tremendous amount of turnover in such a short amount of time..........chances are that when the dust settles a little, we should return to one of the top conferences in basketball.

Jeremy Bolinger 7 years, 4 months ago

tdub, you make me wonder why you post at all! Do you know anything about college basketball? Or the NCAA? Or about recruiting? The only reason Beasly signed with Kansas State is because of Dalonte Hill, not Bob Huggins. Beasly was committed to Charlotte University while Dalonte Hill was on staff there. Soon after Thuggins hired Hill, Beasly de-committed from Charlotte and visited Kansas State. He then committed to play for Dalonte Hill again at Kansas State, stating that "Hill was like a father to me." Thats why he is there, not Thuggins. Also, KSUCK has to release him from his LOI, which they have stated they wont. Its probably a good thing that Hill stayed at Ksu, so you can expect Beasly to remain here as well.............Just like Tyrel Reed was a national champion sprinter, which makes him faster than Kirk Hinrich. Give me a break man........know your sh!t before you post!

APDJayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Bandwagon...you have hair in your teeth...the short curly kind...

ralsterKUMed95 7 years, 4 months ago

My opinion on all this coaching drain from the BigXII is that at least for a year or two MAY unstabilize 2 of the top 4 teams: KSU and aTm. I am expecting BIG things out of KU next season, and a stronger conference gives better preparation for "bigtime players to stepup and remain calm" in bigtime games. I simply wanted the TOUGHEST POSSIBLE schedule next year for our team, conference and non-conference(which recall is ALREADY made). Does our kids NO GOOD to whip NB or CO by 40 and sit around on the bench the last 5min watching our beloved 'scrubs' get a chance to play. Our team needs to remember the Alamo, er, oops, I mean SIU and UCLA. My thought is if we went from TX to aTm to KSU to other strong teams, WE get better prepped (we have a large number of frosh & soph players...). I just want us to be rock solid next year, and a weaker conference does NOT help that. NOT afraid of stiff competition with our veteran group! What do you guys think?