Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Court date contributes to Giles’ troubles

Add alleged failure to pay child support to the list of personal fouls that could prevent reserve junior center C.J. Giles from ever wearing a Kansas University basketball uniform again.

Giles is due in Douglas County District Court on Monday morning to face an allegation that he owes $4,097 in unpaid child support, according to court records.

"I'm not concerned about money 100 percent," Laura Bender, mother of Jaiden Giles, born March 31, 2005, said Wednesday in a telephone interview. "I'm concerned about him taking responsibility for what's his. : It's very expensive to raise a child. Yes, I'm concerned about the money. At the same time, it's important for Jaiden to have a father in his life, and he doesn't have one."

A 2004 graduate of Free State High, Bender said she would be open to a payment plan delayed until Giles could land summer employment, if necessary.

"That's fine," she said. "I just hope that C.J. opens his heart to his son and will take responsibility and help out."

A full-time student at Johnson County Community College and a hostess at Lawrence restaurant "On the Border," Bender said that Giles had seen their son four times.

Giles was ordered in April 2006 to pay Bender $241 in child support per month, plus a judgment of $2,892 for expenses she had incurred since the baby's birth.

An affidavit filed Aug. 31 by an attorney representing the state's Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services alleges that Giles "failed, neglected, or refused to fully comply with the orders of the court; no payment has ever been posted to this case."

Bender said she did receive a payment for the first time, about "a week-and-a-half ago," for the month of October.

"I was really surprised," to receive the payment, she said.

The purpose of Monday's hearing before Judge Pro Tem Peggy Kittel will be for Giles to give a reason why he should not be held in contempt of court. A court document instructs him to bring paycheck stubs and other documentation of his income.

Asked if she thought Giles would play for KU again, Bender said, "I hope so. I don't think that having a child should stop his life. I think he deserves to have a chance to play again. I just think he needs to get his priorities straight."

Bender said it had been "a couple of months" since she has talked to Giles.

KU basketball coach Bill Self revealed after practice Tuesday that Giles had been removed indefinitely from the team to deal with "personal issues" including but not limited to poor academic performance.

Reached Wednesday night, Self said he was unaware that Giles had a court appearance scheduled for Monday.

"I was unaware of any court date," Self said. "I was aware he obviously was supposed to make payments, unaware there was a court date. It was all news to me. This did not initiate his suspension. It does add to the list. This is not what spurred my decision. This adds to it."

Giles reportedly incurred Self's wrath by missing a Monday workout.

"Right now, he is not practicing with us or doing anything with us," Self said. "I've not had a chance to talk to C.J. He has some things that have to be addressed. : This certainly factors into the equation. I have not talked to C.J. (Wednesday). I have Media Day (today) in Oklahoma City. I've not set up anything where I will be talking to him on a regular basis. He knew some things had to be taken care of. When they are handled, I'll become aware of it (and they then may talk)."

Self has found it difficult to hide his disappointment in Giles, a prospect who has not fulfilled his potential on the court, off the court or in the classroom.

"I can tell you obviously I don't like dealing with this," Self said. "It's almost like I'm not dealing with it. It goes along with what is consistent of the pattern of what we have been concerned with. A lot of things have come to a head very recently, and this certainly adds to that."

-Eric Weslander and Gary Bedore contributed to this report.

Comments

thomgreen 8 years, 2 months ago

Not sure if this is the same Laura Bender of not, but the way it looks, this picture was taken back in 2004.

Laurel Sheridan, Sutton, Neb., and Laura Bender, Lawrence, pose at the Ranch Sept. 23. by Ellyn Angelotti

Not that it really matters to this article, but I find it fascinating that the article says she graduated from Free State High School in 2004, yet this Laura Bender is getting her picture taken at The Ranch with a drink in hand, that same year.

Or this could be a totally different Laura Bender, just adding to the irrelevance of the picture.

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

I remember the 2005 Late Night in the Phog. Giles was the only one who didn't stay after the scrimmage and sign autographs. He disappeared out another door with his Daddy. Maybe his obsessed Daddy can get a job at McDonald's to help pay for his kid's mistake.

My father was just like this, but with three kids that he didn't support. CJ doesn't deserve to ever see an NBA game, and I wish him only the worst of luck. Why should Laura have to work extra hard to make up for the shortcomings of a conceited jerk. It's too easy for men to ignore their responsibilities and continue with their lives. Make him pay or sit his sorry behind in jail.

Teapot9 8 years, 2 months ago

Miss Bender should've held out for his potential NBA career then come forward with these allegations and really get some nice cash.

What a funny case of someone perpetuating their respective race's stereotype.

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

cylus: Where are the racist comments? It sounds like YOU are playing the race card. I'd be saying the same thing if it were Kaun being a useless jerk.

b_asinbeer 8 years, 2 months ago

JJHawq--

I think Chris Rock said..."Go talk to your kids, before they rob me in 10 years"...and he was referring to the women. If you don't believe me, listen to his special he did on HBO, "Bigger and Blacker"

FlaHawk 8 years, 2 months ago

The best thing for CJ is to layout a year of BB and get his act together. Come back next year and improve your game so you have a potential NBA career, Unfortunately, CJ had shown absolutely no common sense this far. He has had many chances and does not get it.

Let's hope it finally clicks and everyone wins!

tankshot 8 years, 2 months ago

peoples, lets go easy on the guy that is a hard life

tdub 8 years, 2 months ago

If he can't afford child support payments, he shouldn't be popping out children. So, to answer your question, he can't afford the payments while he plays so his career as a basketball player is over. Anyone who thinks this is unfair doesn't know what a CONDOM is.

tankshot 8 years, 2 months ago

i hate condoms and i dont have any kids

hawk27 8 years, 2 months ago

I think it got deleted but whoever posted the picture of the girl, that was WAY out of line. It may have been on another article but whoever posted that needs some common decency. Its bad enough that all of you think you have a right to be butting into other peoples buisness but posting a picture of a girl that might or might not have been the mother is absolutely rediculous.

tankshot 8 years, 2 months ago

this is the same reason david padgett left ku.... all of the fans are immediately ready to begin hating on the guy the minute he does something like this. yeah and if brandon rush gets a DUI tomorow let me guess, we dont need him. we need all of these players and we need to start being so damn hard on them becuase trying to live an actual life along with being a full time basketball player is pretty effin hard

cobweb 8 years, 2 months ago

The second coming of Jeff Graves. Life's a bitch, isn't it C.J.

deepind 8 years, 2 months ago

For an athlete who's on a full-ride scholarship $241 a month is not an unmanageable amount! Let's see if everyone here agrees with my math: Stipend (I am assuming) - $500 Lodging/stay - Free Books - Free College education - Free Clothing - a lot of KU gear is given to them for free and that's what they wear most of the time Food - Free (at the Union)

So, now what does he do with his $500? If he still can't make the payment to take care of HIS OWN CHILD, he should get a student loan like thousands of other American students do!

nrt 8 years, 2 months ago

Come on C.J., focus. These few years you have left at K.U. will be a huge factor in the shaping of your life. This is true for both you basketball and personal life. You don't want to look back and think what if...... Make the changes now hold your head high, and give everything you do, your best shot.

scrub 8 years, 2 months ago

Jaiden is a precious little boy with a wonderful mother who loves him with all her heart!! And someday he will have a wonderful father who can do the same...whether it's CJ or not. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this matter but lets all remember that this is a touchy subject and tough situation for everyone involved. I am sure we can all come together as a community and support one another. Let's be positive and hopeful for Jaiden, for Laura, for CJ and for the basketball team!!

JayCeph 8 years, 2 months ago

To put it bluntly, this is news. CJ is a Jayhawk, his issues with the team have been publicly noted and this problem just dovetails right into the ongoing dialogue. Some may not like to hear about this or want to read about this but that doesn't lessen the impact of this story.

Yes, some people are being harsh and hyper-critical. Others are being complacent and aloof. Neither reaction is going to negate the relative 'news-worthiness' of this story.

It is a private matter as it relates to CJ's relationship to his son but the rest of it is, plainly, public-opinion fodder.

Ugly but true.

CMKUbLu304 8 years, 2 months ago

No one would know about this if it wasn't CJ Giles. But that's always the case, so I might as well say something. I don't like dead beats dads anymore than anyone else does, but one question...how is he supposed to pay child support when he was dedicating his entire life to playing basketball. He's not making any money...and I didn't see any of the posts that were bashing the girl but I am glad I didn't. Why would you go and attack her for? She's just trying to raise her son...and CJ you should really be a part of your son's life, it will be better and you both will be happier in the long run...If everything gets taken care of, I for one, would not have a problem with him returning. He just needs to get his head on straight and take care of business. Then basketball.

craigers 8 years, 2 months ago

Ms Bender even said she would wait until he could get employment in the summer. She isn't being irrational and she understands that Giles can't play bball and have a job. As I don't think it is our business, it does disappoint me that any man would be like this, whether he is a public figure or not.

filmhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

i don't understand why ms. bender slept with CJ in the first place. i mean, he couldn't even learn the offense.

mumbojumbo 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't understand she is willing to accept a payment plan. I thought that is what he already had and didn't pay it so now his is in court. I don't think it will matter how many or what kind of payment plan you give him, he isn't going to step up and take responsiblity. Why should you be treated different just cause you are a basketball player. He is the father and needs to be there for his child.

Jaminrawk 8 years, 2 months ago

No one "rolled out the red carpet" for CJ Giles. He has been in Self's dog house the whole time he has attended KU. It's more like a disturbing trend that he has personal problems like this. His grades are apparently bad (as rumored to be why he is in trouble with Self) and his whole approch to carrying himself as a public figure has taken a hit with this news, like it or not. This is probably the last straw for most loyal KU fans. No KU fan thinks the basketball players are angels, but whenever you hear a story like this you are bound to make judgements, basketball player or not.

Jfanallways 8 years, 2 months ago

its rediculous that all of you have so much animosity fo cj to me it doesnt sound like the mother is as up tight about this as all of you are. and it doesnt sound like money is her big issue. this is a matter that should have been left between cj and her. yes he needs to get his prioritys straight but none of this has to do with his b-ball abilities. and i would be willing to bet she didnt wait for him to go pro, regardless of if he will or not, because she wants whats best for her baby. yes he needs to step in to a fathers role but thats no reason to hate the guy. and quite frankly i doubt he is looking at this page for advice so all of you telling him what to do, shut up, its not your place. its easy to badmouth somone on the internet but i dare you to go and say these things to his face. if you cant or wont then shut it. imagine your self in his shoes and tell me how much you would appreciate ignorant comments from people like you who have no buisness in his affairs in the first place. and in regards to my last comment i dont give a fu*k what you would do differently if you were him and any one who uses that argument is missing the point of what i said entirely

rcmr 8 years, 2 months ago

I didn't realize there were so many perfect people in the world. A few days ago you people would have rolled out the red carpet for CJ and now you're ready to throw him under the bus. I hope he has better friends than fans that will support him during the bad times as well as the good times. Yes CJ needs to man up and take care of business, but he still needs everyones support. You shouldn't be mad at CJ, you should be mad for him because you want more from him-to experience his full potential.

guest 8 years, 2 months ago

KU fans will forget his name after two weeks. C.J., you need to be a man...not a deusch!

kansaskate 8 years, 2 months ago

I know her. I know this child was not conceived in a silly, stupid, drunken one night stand. I know her son is receiving the best care while she works and goes to school and, yes, maybe tries to have a little bit of fun. It's unfortunate when kids have kids, but be realistic. She needs a supportive community, not accusations that she only got pregnant to "get a piece of KU ass." The baby is his as much as it is hers. He watches his dad play on TV (not anymore, I guess) and has people who love him. So stop trying to point fingers and nag and judge. It's not going to change anything. Let this be a lesson to all those men (and women) out there who think they can have sex without thinking twice.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

This is not entirely a "private matter." If CJ was paying child support you might have a point, BUT this girl and her baby are going to the courts asking them to enforce child support order. The taxpayers are paying for this and, if child support is not forthcoming, the taxpayers will end up paying to help support and raise this child.

Further CJ is/was on a scholarship to a taxpayer supported University. We not only subsidize CJ education but we pay Bill Self and his staff who hand out those scholarships. When CJ puts on a KU jersey he represents the University.

If CJ gets his act together and finds a way to support his son, I would have no problem with him keeping his scholarship as long as he can keep his grades up. I'd even welcome him back NEXT year to the team. He would be a better man for living up to his responsibilitiesand most probably a better team player.

On a previous LJW thread I said some pretty harsh things about Miss Bender. After I read this article I now realise those comments were stupid and cruel. I most sincerely regret those comments. Best of luck Laura to you and your child.

rockbrooklynchalk 8 years, 2 months ago

Two things, one it's unfortunate that this became public, even national news. CJ Giles is not the first person in history to make a dumb decision by having unprotected sex with some floozy who sees him as a potential ticket up the social and economic ladder. When you're an NCAA athlete in a premier sport at a premier school, you have to exercise your common sense more than that. You have no time for parenting or a job. Sports and school should be your only points of focus. It's a heavy criticism of CJ, but that being said there's no reason for the entire KU sports world to know about it and bicker about his private life. That will sort itself out on its own.

Second, the real issue, i.e. the only issue that should be discussed on sports weblog, is how this affects KU's team. Most likely, Giles is 90% finished as a KU Jayhawk. I can see it hurting the team, and I can also see it or not. Despite CJ's shortcomings as a player, father, and student, he was a shot-blocking presence who could change games. How much KU will miss that all depends on how Darrell Arthur develops. The main positive to get out of all this is that if Giles leaves it eliminates a distraction. After all, KU still should go 8-9 deep, even without CJ.

jayhawktownie 8 years, 2 months ago

interesting it says that he has only seen the baby 4 times. i saw the mother and baby at one of the games last year and the baby was wearing a ku shirt that said "giles" on the back so i figured they were on better terms. and why does the kid's last name remain to be Giles if he is such a deadbeat? Sounds like the mother is still hopeful that the connection will payoff at some point.

mom_of_three 8 years, 2 months ago

This is a private matter and I don't understand what the paper thought in printing it. Although the court date is public information, and by being a KU Jayhawk, CJ is a public figure, this isn't news.
Are players allowed to work? If not, where would the money come from? I am not saying he shouldn't be responsible, just asking a question.

JJHawq 8 years, 2 months ago

they get monthly money - i think about $500.

i'd say being a dad to your child is more important than the money...

like chris rock said - go talk to you did before he robs me in 15 years.

martyks 8 years, 2 months ago

There is such an easy answer for Giles. All he would have to do would be to propose that the mother of his child and his child receive a certain percentage of his first year as a pro basketball player, should he ever play pro basketball, that is. I do not understand why he wouldn't opt for this over having his name dragged through the mud as a dead beat. He doesn't want to part with 0.3% of a pro contract? He would rather be known as a jerk? Wow. Look for C.J. to make a lot of money in a coming Vontage commercial... a smart decision among many stupid ones.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

I think the concensus is.

Rule #1 Take care of your son. Rule #2 Got to school and play BBall.

If there is a conflict, see Rule #1.

promitida 8 years, 2 months ago

While I know than none of us can correctly assume what Ms. Bender is thinking, I honestly doubt that she's "...hoping that the connection will payoff..." that's just cruel Jayhawktownie. My best guess is that she's just desperately trying to get him to acknowledge the fact that ready or not, he has a son.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

Oh, and if I ever find myself in a conversation with CJ and the subject comes up, I'd be happy to give him my opinion.

Jaminrawk 8 years, 2 months ago

I think it is instinct to assume that girls hook-up with KU atheletes to cash-in down the line. It does happen, but this was a girl who was just out of highschool hooking up with a recruit who was an incoming freshman. If everyone remembers what they were like when they were 18-19 years old, they would laugh at their own foolishness.

It's a shame that there is a child caught up in this. I think it's great that she actually wants the father to be involved because most people would have had thier fill of this behavior by now. If he was concerned about her wanting his "future riches" then he's kidding himself. He isn't going anywhere except the NBDL at best (because he's 6'10"). He needs to accept reality, be a father, go to class, get his degree and be a responsible citizen. He needs to do this for himself and his child.

Studogg 8 years, 2 months ago

Whether or not he was going to the NBA is, quite frankly, irrelevant. The bottom line is, he needs to get his life straightened out NOW. I truly hope he can. It's not cool to kick someone when they're down. People make mistakes. It doesn't excuse Giles' behavior. He made an "adult" decision, so now he's got to be an "adult" and take responsiblity. He's still got so much of his life in front of him. He has a real opportunity here to learn from this, even though he's having to do it the hard way. As a dad, I take the perspective that having a son is far more rewarding and fulfilling in the long run than playing basketball could ever be. And that's coming from about as die hard a Jayhawk bball fan as you'll ever meet. My heart goes out to his son, Ms. Bender, and CJ. Prayers and best wishes to them.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

Mr. Giles. Be a man, do the right thing. Could care less if you ever play for KU no matter how talented you are. Frankly, KU doesn't need you, we will be fine without you. But this girl is raising your son and I would have more respect for you if you worked at McDonalds and supported son than anything you will ever accomplish on the court.

gerbilsniper 8 years, 2 months ago

It's about time KU starts holding it's athletes responsible for something. I've had classes with team members over the last 4 years and i can say is that if they weren't 6'7'' most of them wouldn't have graduated high school. And as far as the woman, i know alot of these girls who hook up with the BBall team are just out to get their piece of KU ass. It's sad but all the sorority life gets you now days is a quickie with someone who wont ever know your name and an injection of antibiotics

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

A condom is a lot cheaper than child support ...

imagold 8 years, 2 months ago

And the hits just keep coming. I swear. The things you have to deal with as a basketball coach.

cylus 8 years, 2 months ago

Confrontation: My comment was in regard to Teapot's post, not yours.

biz 8 years, 2 months ago

gerbilsniper: I doubt the mother of Giles' kid is in a sorority, because JCCC has none.

kumaximus 8 years, 2 months ago

I think it's sad that CJ is not owning up to being a father. I also don't understand how he's suppose to generate $241 a month for child support. With his stipend being his only source of income, where is that money suppose to come from? He can't work. Basketball players devote their lives to basketball. I'm not saying he should not be responsible for his child or pay child support, I'm just curious where that money is coming from?

I guess the best suggestion would be to have him drop out of school and work full-time. But, if he stays in school, doesn't work, he WILL go to the NBA and make millions upon millions and make that $4,000 look like pocket change...

cylus 8 years, 2 months ago

Note to Lawrence Journal World: This online forum shouldn't be a way for people to post their racist comments.

I think Ms. Bender is doing the correct and responsible thing. Let's hope that CJ will as well by staying on the team, finding a way to support his child, and go to school as well.

bjamnjm 8 years, 2 months ago

CJ Giles is a punk. If he would have stepped up and been a father, married or not, there'd most likely be no payment plan. I don't see how he can come back to KU even if Self took him back. He should be done at KU anyway. Second chances are not really an option at KU for this guy. If he could come back and play ball and it's full time and he(poor thing) only gets a free education, room and board out of the deal he can't pay his bill. So, it seems like his options are (snicker) go pro, or get a job in the real world. Hell yeah, I'm going to bash this guy. I've got a son and he and his momma are the most important people in my life. I know people who'd love to have kids, would be great parents and aren't able to have kids. Then we've got this guy. Playing ball again at KU should be the least of his worries.

MarchSadness 8 years, 2 months ago

C.J. is a lost cause, he will never wear a KU uniform ever again. He came here expecting to be a two-year player then go pro. So he took easy classes his first two years and now he can't handle a single 200+ level class that we take year in and year out. I think it's funny how he thought he was going pro, Self even said it is sad to see a guy with his potential only play about 16 mins a game. Peace out CJ, more PT for King Arthur!!

nikesasquatch 8 years, 2 months ago

What was Chester Giles thinking? You can't sweep the skeletons in your closet under the rug and not expect anybody to notice.

actorman 8 years, 2 months ago

Wow, talk about a (moronic) blast from the past!!!

I thought we had already beaten that horse into the ground, but for those of you who still believe that Padgett left because of the KU chat room, let me explain something to you: As much as I would love to believe that KU is the center of the sports universe, we are not so different from any other big-time program. Do you honestly believe there are not chat rooms like this at Kentucky? At Indiana? At North Carolina? At Duke? And yes, at Louisville? Give me a break!

JhawkKutie 8 years, 1 month ago

i've been dating a ku bball player for awhile now and we have a 3 month old baby. now before anybody starts thinking that im some kind of groupie, i have been dating him for 3 years and he's only been at ku for 2. i cant imagine what laura is going through right now. i've known laura for years and she's a good friend of mine. i've read several comments are here saying that she's probably just trying to get some ku "a**" thats not the case, she thought her and cj would be together to raise little jaiden. cj need to get his act together, stop going to abe and jakes every saturday and start spending time with his son. if he dont do it now he's going to regret it later in life.