Sunday, October 1, 2006

NU: Kansas ‘good team’

— Kansas University didn't win a game Saturday night at Nebraska's Memorial Stadium, but the Jayhawks did win some respect.

"I think some people might not have thought too much of Kansas, but they proved tonight that they are a good football team," Nebraska I-back Cody Glenn said.

Nebraska's 17-0 first-quarter lead even took the Cornhuskers by surprise, one week after a 56-0 victory over Troy.

"I couldn't believe how it was happening, with all the big plays," Glenn said. "It was like we were continuing last week's game."

And it was as if KU were resuming last season's game at Texas.

Fullback Dane Todd wasn't ready to say the Cornhuskers (4-1) were lulled into thinking they had the game won after building the big early lead.

"I don't think that we became complacent," Todd said. "We did a couple of things wrong. We made a couple of mistakes. We had some big turnovers, which is uncharacteristic, and Kansas did a great job of capitalizing. They played all four quarters really well, but we were just able to pull it off."

KU's offense awakened in remarkable fashion, but the Jayhawks' defense never was able to slow the big-play tendencies of the Cornhuskers.

Nebraska finished with 511 total yards, and 228 of them came on three touchdown receptions. Zac Taylor threw a 75-yard scoring strike to Terrence Nunn and touchdown passes of 78 and 75 yards to Frantz Hardy.

The Cornhuskers, whose shaky defensive performance called into question their standing as the favorite to win the Big 12 North, will go a long way toward determining their title chances in the next three weeks.

Nebraska plays its next two games on the road, traveling to Ames for a game against Iowa State next week and then visiting Manhattan to play Kansas State. Then the Huskers play host to Texas on Oct. 21.

"They had big plays, and we didn't communicate," Nebraska safety Andrew Shanle (two interceptions) said of Saturday's game. "They took advantage of our mistakes, but we'll get better from this experience."

Taylor (15-for-33, no interceptions, four touchdowns) didn't give himself high grades for his performance.

"It wasn't my best game," he said. "I missed some throws I shouldn't have. : They are a smart team. They find ways to hit you. I thought the protection was great, though."

The protection of opposing KU quarterbacks usually is praised afterward, which is a contributing factor in the big plays the secondary allows.

Comments

mojayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Outside the dropped passes in the end zone and our fumble inside the 5, this was one of the most entertaing games we have played in a long time! Coach M has really instilled a fight to the finish attitude on the team. No heads hanging. No giving up! Let's come back and whip A & M!

Displayhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Well said, mojayhawk! Our fans need to do the same thing as our team! ........Never Give Up! Even though I was bummed about the loss, it was a great game! Both teams throwing and taking punches!

jhyphene 7 years, 10 months ago

Agree, these guys don't quit. I also sense this team gets better each week. Last year's team was the same, played their best ball late in the year. KU needs to get over the hump where they WIN these games. Great attitude from the team.

In near-reality, this team is 4-1, the lone loss coming at home to Louisiana-Monroe. Sounds a lot better being 3-2, both losses in OT on the road!! Last night's performance hopefully will encourage Fox Sports to keep putting KU on TV...they certainly don't let anyone down on thrillers.

Andoverhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

I can't wait to finally see the jayhawks in person. I am going to the A&M game, I only hope it's a full house and 99% BLUE! Way to go hawks, we proved that we are just a few plays away from being 5-0.

jbrownjib 7 years, 10 months ago

I don't see any reason why we can't win the rest of our games. We can play with anyone. The team has gotten better each game. I read in the KC Star that the NU fans gave the KU players a standing ovation. Hopefully the KU fans will do the same. KU vs. MU should be a real treat and a great game to end the season.

bjamnjm 7 years, 10 months ago

I was really proud of the Hawks too. I grew up on Nebraska football and I think the days of blowing out KU with the 2nd string are over. Fatty Mangino has really got these guys playing consistent, good football. It's cool to see KU playing so well. BTW, that section in Nebraska's Memorial Stadium where the away teams exit the field almost always gives the opposing team a standing ovation. The first time I remember that was when Washington beat Nebraska at Memorial Stadium in 1991.

truefan 7 years, 10 months ago

I wasn't happy about the loss, but I feel great that KU beat the spread. We were "supposed" to lose by 19 and we only lost by one touchdown. I really think that the difference between who won and who lost was the home feild advantage that NU had. Those fans were loud, never got down on their team, yet they showed great respect the entire game. Had this game been at our memorial stadium I think the one touchdown score would have shifted in our direction. I'll be in the stands next Saturday to watch our team beat A&M and improve to 4-2 and 1-1 in the conference.

roshi12 7 years, 10 months ago

Ditto's to all the comments, except one. Coach Mangino has done a terrific job. Let's give him some respect and drop the fatty comments. He deserves it.

tankshot 7 years, 10 months ago

yeah magino sure makes the team play hungry. see, he reflects the attitude of his stomach...

jbrownjib 7 years, 10 months ago

I agree on Mangino. The game plan kept this team in the game and leadership held the team together. They did not lose because of coaching. Coaching almost won them the game despite being in the hole at the start. Also, I would like to see Barrman remain the starter. He did a great job in an incredibly loud stadium and against a very respectable defense.