Originally published November 30, 2006 at 11:51a.m., updated November 30, 2006 at 02:34p.m.

Self signs new 5-year deal at KU

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self today inked a new five-year contract which will kick in retroactively on April 1, 2006, and will expire in March 2011. Self's previous deal had two years remaining, set to expire on April 20, 2008.

"We are thrilled that Bill Self will be our coach for years to come," KU Athletics Director Lew Perkins said in a prepared statement. "There's no one I'd rather have at the helm of the Kansas men's basketball program."

Self will receive an annual salary of $220,000 per year from Kansas Athletics, and addition payments will bring his total compensation to right over $1.375 million per year. Those payments include professional services, such as public relations or educational duties.

The contract also has a retention agreement that would pay Self an annual salary of $225,000 if he serves as KU's coach through March 31, 2011. That would bump his annual compensation to a shade over $1.6 million.

Provisions and incentives in the deal could raise his salary to as high as $350,000 in any one year.

Self's prior contract earned him $129,380 annually. He was also guaranteed $350,000 from apparel and footwear agreements, $400,000 for professional servieces and an additional $250,000 in summer basketball camp revenue.

Self, now in his fourth season at KU since coming from Illinois, is 78-25 overall, and has won a share of the last two Big 12 Conference regular season titles. His team also claimed the 2006 Big 12 Tournament crown. He was voted as the Big 12 Coach of the Year last season, and has led three different teams (Tulsa, Illinois and Kansas) to the regional finals.

Comments

cobweb 13 years, 1 month ago

I disagree. He's done a great job. Mangino is the one you should be talking about.

chaggs 13 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations, Coach! As a loyal KU fan, all I ask is that you continue to build on the legacy!

DSommersby 13 years, 1 month ago

Congrats Coach Self! It is my hope that you are the Head Coach for KU for many, many, many years.

Now get to work and start earning some of those bonuses. I'm sure there is a nice bonus for a National Championship! Best of luck!

cklarock 13 years, 1 month ago

Congrats, coach! You're the man for KU, no question!

bulldawgs 13 years, 1 month ago

Can I have a raise...geez, no wonder the State can't balance the state budget or pay for education...exactly how much has attendance increased since HCBS (in K-State terms, that used to be Head Coach Bill Snyder) took over for poor Roy?

Marion, where are you at to help me on this?

bulldawgs 13 years, 1 month ago

USA today had an article today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/front.htm) indicating that Mangino is the 21st highest paid head coach in the country...glad to see that we have a top 20 football program finally.

JayCeph 13 years, 1 month ago

In the top 20 (*sic) and not a bowl game to be found anywhere!

Mackadoo 13 years, 1 month ago

bulldawgs, the State does not pay a dime for anything related to KU Athletics. The KU Athletic Corp. is responsible for Self's and Mangino's salaries - your tax dollars aren't.

Alan Mills 13 years, 1 month ago

There's only one drawback to this deal...it means we're going to suffer 4 and a half more years of these "fire Self" morons on this board! Thank goodness the people in charge don't read these things! Rock chalk. Bring on Depaul...should be a good road test for our young squad.

bulldawgs 13 years, 1 month ago

Mackadoo, I hate to burst your bubble, but the state does support KUAC in many ways...we could argue the benefits that KU and Kansas receives from KUAC exceeds the cost, but you would have to be completely naive to think that KUAC did not recieve benefit from the state of Kansas

bulldawgs 13 years, 1 month ago

Crimson, I agree, the fire the coach folks will be out in full force the next time we don't make it to the final four...DePaul should be a much better test than Dartmouth...

JayCeph 13 years, 1 month ago

I think as long as Self (and his squad) makes it past the 1st round of the tourney, then that will buy him some more time...

A national championship will do more than that:)

kcmostwanted 13 years, 1 month ago

Glad to hear that Coach got the extension...Definately a good man and a good coach!!!...I wish i could just laugh in all the faces of those Bill Self haters!!!!

The only problem is that if we win a nat. Championship all those haters will cry every year if we don't bring one back....and there goes the Fire Bill bandwagon again...

Todd 13 years, 1 month ago

Um bulldawgs, where the hell is your "how much has attendance increased?" comment supposed to lead? The Fieldhouse has been sold out for years regardless of who is coach so unless you magically add seats on the roof then it would be impossible for Self to bring in any more people. And if I'm reading your post wrong, then I apologize, but there is no more poor Roy. He's gone. Deal with it. He never won at Kansas and he hasn't yet won with HIS players at UNC.

I don't get the double standard that Roy was so wonderful and he never won a NC and he gets a lifetime pass but Bill Self gets upset a couple times in the first round(something that even Roy's teams came dangerously close to doing) and Mangino takes us to 2 bowl games in 5 years after having not been to one in almost 10 and yet people are all up in arms to fire them both.

I'm glad Self will be around for quite a few years longer.

tsweat 13 years, 1 month ago

it is insane how so many KU fans are settling for mediocrity. Mangino is getting us better players which puts us in better position in games but look at this season. we should have won 10 games. i think the only legit loss is to mizzou and then you have to throw one more in cuz u cant win them all. we should demand more from our program. and then there is bill. yes he is a great recruiter, maybe the best, but losing in the first round back to back years is rediculous. i am fine with giving him an extension but not more money. he has done nothing to earn that. this year better be the year he gets to the final four. he should be on a very short leash with all of us. that being said i am being sucked in to believing this is the year, i hope he wont let me down again

Alan Halvorsen 13 years, 1 month ago

I'm glad to see Self is gonna be hanging around for a long time. (I in no way want Self to be replaced)

How come Mangino may get us to two bowls in a row and everyone wants his head. Yet Self looses twice in the first round of the NCAA's with some great teams, yet noone that I have heard yet is wanting him replaced by the "Larry Coker's" of the world.

You'd think Ku football fans would be more appreciative. I know I am!

Jeremy Bolinger 13 years, 1 month ago

Whats has self done here? He took us to the elite 8 in his first season......2 conference regular season championships in 3 years, and a conference tourney title with the youngest team in the country last season. Lets not start all this crap again that Self hasn't earned this money.

mr_lawrence 13 years, 1 month ago

Those 2 upsets could hardly have been avoided. I think Simien, Miles, and Langford were tired and dysfunctional; last year's youthful team siezed up on the NCAA stage. This year should be different. I am an ardent supporter of Self. I much prefer his style to that of his predecessor. I congratulate Bill and KU on the contract extension. However, all that being said, if we lose in the first round this year, that's a problem. Rock Chalk!

bulldawgs 13 years, 1 month ago

Double J...I figured that someone would bring up the attendance thing...I am just kidding about the attendance (IIFC, there were more empty seats at the Dartmouth game than I remember in the last 15 years or so...)

Somebody mentioned that he has earned his money...I would submit that he was not hired to win regular season games and make the tourney...he was hired to win games in the big 12 tourney and win games in the NCAA tourney...run a clean program and bring recognition to the campus. Take out a couple of upsets to Bradley and Bucknell and he has accomplished all of that. IMHO he has done just as well if not better than Roy.

Just glad that Lew didn't wait until coach Self was lame duck...now will the basketball team go on a losing streak like the football team did after mangino got his? I doubt it.

lee3022 13 years, 1 month ago

Nice. Good work Coach Self and good work AD Lew Perkins. Since the two of you have come the athletic program has improved. I have some confidence that the stuff that went on from your predecessors will not be repeated and the probation will end with no more allegations. I truly believe both men are the very top of their professions. Thank you for serving KU.

Eric TheCapn 13 years, 1 month ago

Self has not proven himself as a coach of KU caliber yet. This is terribly premature.

jcsmith 13 years, 1 month ago

I dont understand how everyone can put the losses souly on Bill Selfs back. Yes the coaching staff has a play in the losses, but their not the ones taking the shots on the court.

Steve Day 13 years, 1 month ago

Since KU is a state school, Self is a state employee. That is why the low salary and the higher numbers on additional items. He makes the bulk of his money on TV/Radio, shoe contracts, etc.................his right for being a KU Coach. The state pays the 200k.

Absolutely the best thing for the program to lock him up. He aint leavin us for Indy, UCLA, or anywhere else!! He is at one of the top 5 programs ever. Anything else would be a lateral move, and why do that!!! I just hope the Humboldt Cubs don't come calling...........he may be tempted!!!haha Go Cubs and Go KU!!

Alan Halvorsen 13 years, 1 month ago

I stand corrected. Everyone wants Self's head too.

I guess common sence goes out the window. (I suppose I've been expecting too much out of Ku fans) :(

digitalkookie 13 years, 1 month ago

congratulations coach!!! glad you have made the decision to stay on. would rather have no one else but you on the bench!! best of luck in the years to come...now, how about taking some of that new contract cash and pickin up a couple nice suits!!! rock chalk!!!!!!!!!!

William James 13 years, 1 month ago

Ive been following KU sports for almost twenty years and Ive never felt better about the two coaches we have. Im glad they both want to stick around. Jimmy Dean is a genius. Listen to what he has to say + disregard JayCeph.

Purell 13 years, 1 month ago

Why on Earth would they do this when we're going to have to fire him April 3rd, 2007