Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Mangino: Mizzou is KU’s No. 1 rival

Now comes the real rival - at least in Kansas University coach Mark Mangino's eyes.

After beating Kansas State, 39-20, Saturday at Memorial Stadium, Mangino raised a few eyebrows by saying "I'm not hung up on this rivalry thing. We're playing our rival next week."

That, of course, is Saturday's Border War football game at Missouri.

Mangino stood by the statement Monday, saying it stemmed from the feeling he gets from his program's supporters.

"Our fan base truly has a passion for : the Border rivalry," Mangino said. "Our fan base views that as the No. 1 rivalry we have."

Certainly, the argument's there. Missouri-Kansas has long been competitive in both football and basketball, something Kansas-Kansas State hasn't been able to say until recently.

As for the coaches and players? They try to dismiss any game being more important than another, though that can certainly be disputed when rivarly week is here.

"We approach all 12 games on the schedule with the same enthusiasm, intensity and preparation," Mangino said.

But a few extras are thrown in for Missouri week. Former KU coach Don Fambrough has spoken annually to the football team about his hatred for Mizzou, which stems from several instances over several decades. He also reminds the players about the historic Quantrill's Raid, where Missourians attacked Lawrence and burned down much of town in 1863.

For KU football, it's been a long time since so much has been at stake in the Border War game. KU is bowl-eligible at 6-5, but it's chances at being invited to a bowl game aren't great unless it improves to 7-5 on Saturday.

"Our glass is half-full," Mangino said. "We've got a game to play this week. We'll have that discussion (on bowl games) next week."

Kansas (6-5 overall, 3-4 Big 12 Conference play) certainly has had its way with Missouri in the past, winning the last three meetings by a combined score of 79-31. This despite being labeled the underdog in all three showdowns.

Missouri (7-4, 4-3) is favored again this week, with the line around seven points. Both Mangino and MU coach Gary Pinkel were asked about the three-game streak Monday on the Big 12 coaches conference call.

"I just think you focus on this year," Pinkel said. "You can't do anything about the past, whether we won them or lost them."

Added Mangino: "As far as how many games and who beat who, that doesn't matter to me. That's not a big issue."

But both programs realize the emotion attached to Saturday's game. For Mizzou, Kansas is the natural No. 1 rival. And many at KU, including Mangino, thinks the same about the Tigers.

"It's a great rivalry as we all know," Pinkel said. "It's one of the best in the nation."

Comments

Eric Beightel 13 years, 2 months ago

Yes, Mizzou is our #1 rival, hands down. Even if the K-State game becomes consistently competitive (with all signs pointing that way currently) Mizzou will remain our biggest rival.

K-State fans don't act like complete jackasses the way that Mizzou fans do. K-State fans don't throw bottles at our band. They don't arrest KU fans for using their 1st amendment right of freedom of speech. Additionally, there are many more divided houses between K-State and KU fans than there are KU and MU fans. KU and K-State like to rib each other but typically will root for each other when not playing one another. I hate Mizzou and everything about them. I relish watching anyone beat them in anything. I hate Missouri. I don't even like driving into their god-forsaken state. Their roads suck. I just feel dirty whenever I pass through.

KU vs. MU, while not the most prestigious on the national stage, may very well be the most heated rivalry in college sports - definitely the only one that resulted in 143 deaths on one side. Damn slavers.

Rock Chalk, baby. Kick some tigger arse this weekend.

Kit Duncan 13 years, 2 months ago

Not to downplay the rivalry with Mizzou, I hate them as much as anybody. But, around thirty years ago, when I was in the KU Band, we had bottles thrown at us while playing at K-State (but not at Missouri), and at home had members tripped by KSU fans during the Pre-Game run-in down the Bowl steps. I would say my dislike for KSU is about equal to that of MU. It's just that KU has produced more wins over KSU.

From a pure sports rivalry, Missouri is #1. K-State is a close 2nd.

TrueBlue92 13 years, 2 months ago

ebbenji: C'mon Coach Fam, use your real name when you post.

YA FIRED ME UP AND I DIDN'T NEED IT!

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS, WHACK THE PUDDY TATS!!!

thebashman 13 years, 2 months ago

i dont know that i can call 63-36-5 in football a rivaly (besides the bill snyder era we owned them)....and considering they have NEVER beat us in bramlage coliseum, and before last year we had won like 31 straight...i'd say missouri is more of a rival, even if you take the historical parts out....its just a closer and more hated rivalry

jhyphene 13 years, 2 months ago

I think of KSU as a sibling rivalry, while MU is the enemy. As yourself this: If you are in a bar, and a fight breaks out between a K-State fan and an MU fan, and you MUST pick a side, who do you side with? KSU every single time. MU is THE rivalry for KU. Doesn't mean KSU is the beloved little sister, by any stretch. But MU is definitely the one.

James Hubin 13 years, 2 months ago

I'd have to agree k.s.u. may be disliked, but m.u. is hated. People from KU know and are friends with people at k-state. I've only befriended one person from mizzou. Kansas views k-state as the second major institution in the state. The KU vs. mu rivalry goes deeper than just sports. Mangino has done a good job of keeping missouri in their place and he got a fat contract for doing it (no pun intended).

Derek King 13 years, 2 months ago

I never feel as bad after a K-State loss as I do after a Mizzou loss.

The sibling rivalry analogy is dead-on; at the very least, K-State is in Kansas, so they've got that going for them. Which is nice.

Joel Hood 13 years, 2 months ago

K-Staters hate the fact that most Jayhawks see the KSU rivalry as a distant second to the MU rivalry.

Nothing is worse than being dismissed as a pesky nuisance by those rich snobs that you hate so much - it's almost disrespectful when you hate someone that doesn't really hate you back!

Jason Leib 13 years, 2 months ago

Thank you, KUSports, for calling it the "Border War" instead of that silly PC "Border Showdown". If the sponsors want to call it that for their own purposes, fine. But that doesn't mean the fans who actually care about the rivalry have to.

seattlehawk_78 13 years, 2 months ago

It's not really a rivalry if one side wins most of the time. We've pretty much owned KSU in basketball for the last 20 years and they owned us in football up until recently. I've even rooted for the Wildcats a few times in football. I can't say that about Mizwho.

Joe Ross 13 years, 2 months ago

You can sure tell who's watched KU for a while and who hasn't! Im 34 and have been watching KU since I was 3. 1975 I saw my first KU basketball game, but have followed other sports as well. Let me tell you what I KNOW: historically, MIZZOU has been a DISTANT SECOND to KSU in terms of the rivalry. Mangino doesn't know what he's talking about. Remember, he coached at KSU and while he was there they pretty much mauled us in football, so it was NEVER A RIVALRY TO THEM. Years later, he comes to KU and declares that the KSU rivalry takes a back seat to Mizzou. Three words, KU faithful: CONSIDER THE SOURCE!

84Hawk 13 years, 2 months ago

jross, I have to disagree. I don't know a single KU fan who uses the word "hate" to describe their feelings for K-state (and I know a lot of KU fans). Most of us do hope K-state does well unless their playing against us. NONE of us EVER even clap for Missouri. We want whoever plays them to destroy them. Their fans are mean and their teams are a bunch of thugs. KU (with a few exceptions whom we have dumped) mostly recruits classy and superior athletes. I think K-state also made a big mistake by hiring Huggins. He only tarnishes K-states reputation.

bangaranggerg 13 years, 2 months ago

jross, just because you've been watching KU since you were three doesn't mean you should keep the perspectives of a three year old. If you want to go all old man Witherbee on us, and tell us about how you see things that's great. KSU didn't "maul" us for very long, they had a few years there with Snyder, but we have near a 2/3rds win percentage against them in Football. 84hawk, I don't think Huggins is a bad hire for KSU, I'm really excited to see them be competitive, the hire that tarnishes KSU this year is that of Michael Beasley's AAU coach Dalonte Hill. Other than that I couldn't agree more with basically every post on this board, the Border War is the tits.

TexasAl 13 years, 2 months ago

In 1976 when KU romped all over MU 41 to 14 the entire KU motorcade of nearly 300 band members was pulled over by the Missouri State Troopers after the game and detained for over an hour. During that time the Kansas Trooper escort and bus drivers were threatened with arrest for exceeding the posted speed limit of 70 by 25-30 MPH. The tuba section was instructed to calm down before they were cited for disorderly conduct. This was mainly due to verbal assaults directed at the Missouri Troopers and the state of Missouri in general.

Needless to say, each time I see anything about MU sports on the tube I remember that long wait on the side of the road back in 1976. You have to remember that our day had started at Murphy Hall about 5AM and it was now fast approaching midnight. All we wanted to do was go home and get some rest, but as we had destroyed the Missouri football team and wiped the tiger band off the field - the troopers wanted us to think twice before we came back to the state of Missouri. Or is that misery?

As long as these teams play each other there will always be an intense rivalry. God help the person or group that suggests the schedule be changed so Missouri is taken off the KU schedule.

I agree with Mangino; Missouri is the Number 1 rival.

actorman 13 years, 2 months ago

Jross, you're entitled to your opinion. (After all, this is all about opinion anyway.) But it's ridiculous for you to put down those of us who disagree with you. I don't think it's even close: the clear majority of KU fans (yes, including those of us who have followed KU sports since the '70s and earlier) think of Mizzou as our biggest rival. There's simply no comparison, given the history going all the way back to the Civil War and the sheer nastiness of a large number of their fans and even officials. I've had plenty of reason to hate KSU over the years (and I would use the word hate for them), but with Mizzou it's much more than that. It's outright revulsion. Ebbenji, you said it perfectly.

John Myers 13 years, 2 months ago

Yup, agreed with most everyone here (except you, jross). Missouri is w/o question a more hated and true rival than K-State. KSU, I just sort of think "Man, I don't like K-State." Just the thought of MU makes me a bit upset to my stomach and I throw up in my mouth just a little.

cjhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

Coach Fam gave us a great talk in 1967 on how great Pepper Rogers was going to be. He was right then and is now. KU - MU should be the last game of the regular season and is bigger than any other game we play. After all K-State just had a momentary football program and have now hired an outlaw for basketball. MU is the real rivial.

William James 13 years, 2 months ago

I hope to see a bunch of you guys in Columbia Saturday. I'll be wearing my MUCK FIZZOU t-shirt. If you guys really feel this strongly Im sure you'll be there.