Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Ryan Wood’s KU football notebook

QB consistency?

Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino said Monday the quarterbacks were as healthy as they'd ever been, presumably leading to no surprises during Saturday's game.

"We're going to proceed the way we had the last game," Mangino said. "There's no major change in store."

That means freshman Kerry Meier will start and receive a majority of the snaps, with fellow freshman Todd Reesing possibly being inserted for a couple of series.

Doing all right

The one scholarship quarterback we haven't seen yet is getting increased work on the scout team.

Shawnee Mission West product Tyler Lawrence has quarterbacked against the first-team defense in practice for most of the season, a position that Mangino said has made him noticeably better.

"We like Tyler," Mangino said last week. "You can see the progress that he's made from the time we started training camp until now. He has a bright future for us."

That's a record

With Saturday's game being shown on Fox Sports Net and next week's Border War game with Missouri being aired by ABC, Kansas will finish the regular season with seven of its 12 games on television - a school record.

Double honor

Not surprisingly, Kansas State players got some postgame love after shocking No. 4 Texas, 45-42, Saturday at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.

Freshman quarterback Josh Freeman was named Big 12 offensive player of the week Sunday, while punt-return specialist Yamon Figurs shared special-teams player-of-the-week honors with Colorado kicker Mason Crosby.

Freeman won the offensive award for the second straight week.

Comments

Todd 13 years, 2 months ago

It's been sort of a catch 22 with the tv games. Yes we've had more than in the past, but we seem to play worse when on tv. Hopefully that changes the next 2 games

Jason413 13 years, 2 months ago

Having trouble counting. What was the seventh game on tv. I only counted six.

OPJayhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

Memo to the writer of this article, and to others at the Journal World. While we are known as "KU", using "Kansas University" is annoying as he!!, and makes you look like an idiot. Please use "KU" or "The University of Kansas". "Kansas University" is NOT the proper way to refer to the university. You'd think the hometown paper would be aware of this. This is getting old, and its embarassing.

Bob Culwell 13 years, 2 months ago

What makes you look more like an idiot is not using proper grammer, OP. If I were on the Journal-World staff, I know I wouldn't take any advice from an illiterate.

Joe Ross 13 years, 2 months ago

Hey all! Get over to driveshow.com and vote for the KU analysts. K-State has been whipping on us for weeks!!! It'll only take a hundred votes or so to win this week so take 10 seconds and click over to cast a vote for the HAWKS!!!!

actorman 13 years, 2 months ago

I'm a stickler for grammar, but I didn't see anything wrong with OP's grammar. The only things I noticed were a missing apostrophe in "its" and a missing r in "embarassing." What are you talking about, 91?

Bob Culwell 13 years, 2 months ago

You mean beside the three misspellings?

If he wants to waste everybody's time with this kind of garbage, he'd better be sure to not miss anything.

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

I predict KU will end up becoming bowl eligible when it plays Miz-zero (in 2 weeks) but I think (I fear) they will fall to the momentum that the 'Cats have generated over the past several weeks on Saturday.

I hope it is a good game but I think this weekend will just end up putting more pressure on next weekend.

Go J'Hawks!

gahawk 13 years, 2 months ago

Misspellings or not, OPJayhawk makes a valid point. The school's official name is the University of Kansas and that's what it is entitled to be called. It's a little presumptious for the LJW to do otherwise, kind of like you being named Barry and me arbitrarily deciding to call you Butch. Not really your call. Oh, and 91hawk? The word is 'grammar.'