Tuesday, November 7, 2006

Giles dismissed from team

Boot comes after battery citation

Kansas University men's basketball coach Bill Self announced in a statement released Tuesday afternoon that he has dismissed junior C.J. Giles from the program for a pattern of irresponsible behavior and disrespect for team rules.

Giles, who was reinstated to the program from an indefinite suspension just last Friday, was cited Monday night by KU campus police for misdemeanor battery related to an incident involving a former girlfriend who refused to leave his Jayhawk Towers apartment.

"We are not now making a judgment about guilt or innocence regarding this incidence," Self said. "But this is yet another example of C.J. putting himself in a situation in which negative things can happen.

"C.J. was well aware of the consequences of another lapse in judgment. We normally would let the judicial process play its course before dismissing someone, but C.J. has exhibited a pattern of irresponsible behavior and has left us no choice.

"We have standards that we hold all our student-athletes to, and C.J. did not meet those standards. We wish him only the best wherever his future takes him. We will continue to support him academically while he is at Kansas."

For more on this story, read tomorrow's Lawrence Journal-World

Comments

I_was_here 13 years, 2 months ago

maybe it was the skank's fault...wait, that just comes back to it being CJ's fault for associating with skank element.

Sorry CJ, its an unfortunate situation but I'm sure all decent rockchalkers will stop the abusive, ill-informed comments and deep down wish you the best in the future.

and maybe Giddens can help you get in at his new school....and you can always go smoke a J with Graves and Lester and forget about all the opportunity you once had playing for KU, sorry guys.

Donkeypunch 13 years, 2 months ago

Its too bad. I hope he doesn't continue to make bad decisions the rest of his life. An incident like this makes you wonder though if he has any self control. Everything was clearly riding on his self dicipline and he still blew it. How could you do that with so much at stake?

kuhawksr1 13 years, 2 months ago

Perhaps she deserved to be drug out of the apartment? That's battery? Wow. Probably a massive overreaction by the police and media and look at all of you so quick to pass judgement. Thank goodness I'm not in front of this group of 'peers' awaiting my fate! He should NEVER have ever come that close to trouble again so quicly and he is an idiot for that but come on ... throwing him under the bus? Too bad he didn't just let his 'girlfriend' deal with it. =)

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

Brandon Rush is a preseason All-American!

Emporia State is coming to town!

shocks 13 years, 2 months ago

Looks like more PT for Aldrich next year.

suzifrye 13 years, 2 months ago

Man I can't understand what the hell is wrong with CJ. You get a second chance and then you do something like this, what a big slap in the face for Self. I really wish it wouldn't have to come to this, CJ is such a great player. I really think someone needs to give him a good kick in the a$$. He really needs to leave the women alone and get his self together if he ever wants to amount to anything. I was really pulling for you CJ I was happy when you got back on the team, but what you continue to do is unfair to the other players.

FlaHawk 13 years, 2 months ago

What a loser! KU went way to far and CJ just does not get it. His chances of Pro ball even in Europe will be hindered by his disrespect for authority and more importantly disrespect for hiself!

What a pity that he does not get it!

poshizzle 13 years, 2 months ago

where's Jeff Graves when you need him?

Joel Hood 13 years, 2 months ago

It's amazing how bad judgement negates: size, athleticism, opportunity, potential, hard-work, forgiveness, and second chances.

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

I think the comments look so contentious and rancorous are because people are just baffled at how something like this could happen so soon after all the other issues. Not a pretty thing and some people are just making a gut-reaction.

I think it is time to just (quietly) shut the book on the whole CJ thing and focus on what really matters... the team and this season.

Emporia State is coming to town!

Jeremy Bolinger 13 years, 2 months ago

you know i made a comment about someone saying that dismissing giles would be the smart thing to do. I said that it wouldnt, but now i have to retract my statement after seeing all of this bull crap. Good Job CJ Giles, you completely screwed over not only yourself, but your teammates as well. This kind of crap is exactly what Ku DOESN'T need right now, and you keep putting not only yourself, but the university, in a negative spotlight! Why dont you go enroll at New Mexico and play with the other piece of crap J.R. Giddens. Or mabey go back to washington, and play at Gonzaga with yet another piece of crap, Micah Downs! Good Riddence!

Kyle Crenshaw 13 years, 2 months ago

this isnt a KU type of player, now maybe take Highway 24 west to Manhattan and you'l find a coach that likes those kinds of players!

Jclarkson 13 years, 2 months ago

Thank God.

CJ Giles, you have disgraced yourself, your family and your university. I hope you are proud of yourself. Way to be a complete jackass. Hopefully when your court dates come up and the real world hits you, you learn to finally be a man.

tdub 13 years, 2 months ago

Anderson is announcing his choice at 1pm tomorrow. And good riddance CJ! Get the hell off our team and away from women in general and get a life.

dashaud721 13 years, 2 months ago

Giles has to be the dumbest person ever, how do you blow a second chance so quick, you would think since he is in college he would have more common sence the that, wow!!!!!

Displayhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

The sequel to Dumb & Dumber! .......CJ & Maurice (Giles & Clarett).

Huskerhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

CJ asked the girl to leave. She wouldn't he threw her out. That is not battery. I don't believe he hit her and if he didn't hit her he should not have been kicked off the team.

SoCalJayHawk 13 years, 2 months ago

This is a tremendously sad situation for CJ and his parents and we should all simply wish him well. Much respect to Coach Self and KU for giving him that second chance. KU Fans - based on most of above - dial down the rancorous comments - or at least, save it for something significant.

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

I hear that there is a kid on the Emporia State team that was offered a walk-on role at some point.

I wonder if he is any good. I hope so.

Tonight's game is going to be fun.

Oh, look! Something shiny...

CMKUbLu304 13 years, 2 months ago

3 days after he was let back on. Its hard to get second chances and he just blows it after three days. I had a lot more faith in him that he would get past this and prove to be that amazing player that he is somewhere deep down, but you can't be an amazing player if you're not a least a decent person first. I don't understand why he would even put himself into a situation like this in the first place. I was rooting for him to overcome his first hurdle, but now I don't even know...It's only fair to everyone that Self let him go. KU does have standards, hell, I would probably disown a family member who did that, let alone a guy I don't know, even if he is a bball player. I wish him well, whatever he decides to do, but I pray that he will really take a good look in the mirror and figure out what the hell is going on with him.

CasperCorps 13 years, 2 months ago

The only reason a person would need to drag someone out of their apartment would be if they didn't leave when they were asked... Ways C. J. could of avoided the situation: 1. After breaking up with girl..... Take her key 2. Install peep hole in door 3. Ask.... Who is it?... (before opening door) 4. Shut lights off (act like nobodies home) 5. Don't let girl who thinks she is your girlfriend walk in on you with another girl who also thinks she is your girlfriend. (uh yeah.... kinda hard to get her to leave) All this stuff seems like common sense but when you don't have it and you don't surround yourself with people that do have it, life gets tough... Good luck C.J...

Samer Adra 13 years, 2 months ago

Funny how so many keep defending the guy. He should be kicked off the team for having a random girl on his bed, dragging and/or hitting notwithstanding. What's he trying to do, have more babies or something? Wouldn't you say it's irresponsible for somebody who's already got one unplanned baby he's been neglecting to fool around with women? Our attitudes are so loose about sex these days. I'd say his whoring around is even worse than the dragging and/or hitting--just ask his baby's mother.

Michael Foulston 13 years, 2 months ago

Thank you kuhawksr1 for joining me (and a few others) for a sanity check.

Yeah, CJ should have not been two-timing (how long since I've used that term) in the first place, given the short leash he was on. He shouldn't have forcibly removed the woman even if she wouldn't leave (yes, she shouldn't have been there in the first place, but how many times did you turn a girl down when you were 21?)

A quick call to Campus Police might have had her out of there quickly and quietly, even if the "real" girlfriend had shown up before the cops got the other one out of there, this would have turned out better for CJ. Maybe he's got a loose wire up there, maybe he just doens't handle pressure very well, so when the g/f called, he freaked out. Who knows.

Ultimately, I think he's a good kid who made some bad decisions and even when he should have been walking a line tighter than Johnny Cash wrote about, he couldn't handle it, and I, for one, hope for the best for him.

Michael Class of 93

Bud Stagg 13 years, 2 months ago

No one has mentioned that "he dragged her off the bed by the ankles." Anyone who thinks this guy needs defending is an idiot! What was his old girlfriend doing on his bed?

CJ should have been living the monks life for the next year. No women, no booze, no friends, only basketball. He wasn't smart enough to see that!

CJ will fit in well with the NBA if he makes it that far. I think personally he'll have a hard time not burning his hands on the french fry cooker.

Ted Toulouse 13 years, 2 months ago

JayCeph - Belly-laughed out loud.
LET'S HEAR IT FOR SHINY THINGS!!!

chaggs 13 years, 2 months ago

Buh-bye CJ.

First of all, it is reprehensible to batter a woman. What an idiot. Blow a second chance at not only playing for the most prestigious team in the NCAA's.

Not only that, but blowing an opportunity for an education. Good luck with student loans in addition to child support payments!

Giving up a dream for a nightmare. What a waste.

nikesasquatch 13 years, 2 months ago

I told you Bill Self needed to get rid of Chester Giles and that is exactly what happened. Chester was a cancer on the KU program and even his greatest supporters must now accept that!

Joe Ross 13 years, 2 months ago

I supported CJ. I still say Coach Self was correct in giving him a second chance! The fact of the matter is he blew it. Giddens and Giles. So much talent, so little dedication.

Now all of Jayhawk nation will look forward to a bright season that CJ could have been a part of. And CJ, if youre reading this, you should STILL get your life in order.

SDSurferFan 13 years, 2 months ago

Who cares? I don't know how many times I watched Giles come in the game last year and then pick up two quick fouls. I can count on 2 fingers on games he contributed.

Alan Mills 13 years, 2 months ago

I've enjoyed reading all the posts here lately. You are all great, and I think you're all KU fans. Let me just date myself...I remember going to the field house to watch Morningstar's dad play, along with Norm Cook (who scored more points in a freshman debut than any other Jayhawk). I remember the lean years with Teddy Owens, the wonder years with Larry Brown (we partied on campus that night), the talent we had with Roy, and the potential everyone talks about with Self. Everyone seems to weigh in with their opinions on Giles (yes, I remember watching his dad play, too). Are any of you truly Jayhawk fans? Are any of you paying attention to our team. We are supposed to be an elite team! We struggled with Washburn, picked 4th in their conference! Not 4th in D-II, but in their lame conference (I grew up in Topeka watching WU-Fort Hays battles). And, yes, if we can only beat them by 30 late, we struggled. Giles is not the concern. Tonight, I'm listening to the webcast on 580, and we can't hardly handle Emporia State. They, by the way, or picked 9th in that same conference! I don't care who we dismiss, or who's hurt, or any of that. If we are "that" good, we should bury these teams by 50! Let's just hope we don't embarass ourselves too much Saturday night. Some of you might wish we still had Giles around to distract everyone from our under-achievers in uniform!

Ken Tschetter 13 years, 2 months ago

What a moron. Talk about throwing your potential down the drain. Here's an idea CJ: instead of dragging one skank across the floor so the other skank doesn't get mad, just let them fight it out. Enjoy watching your former team play this year.....

LongGoneFromLarryville 13 years, 2 months ago

Don't be so harsh on the guy. I'm sure he'll work out in the New Mexico program.

cobweb 13 years, 2 months ago

The guy has physical talent but no brain. You can't help people like that. As far as sitting out a year to prepare for the NBA draft......... PUHLEASSE !!!!!! He better hope that Congress passes the increase to the minimum wage.