Saturday, November 4, 2006

Giles reinstated to KU basketball team

Self won't allow junior center to see game action until second semester

Kansas University reserve junior center C.J. Giles rejoined the men's basketball team and practiced Friday night but won't be allowed to play in a game until second semester, coach Bill Self announced.

"Here's the bottom line: We are in the business to help young people," Self said. "We can certainly do more to help C.J. by him being here than by us putting him out. The ball is in his court to be able to do the right things. We've given him the opportunity to right his ship, and if he doesn't do that, then I guess that would mean being here doesn't mean that much to him."

Giles was not made available for comment, but the university released a statement attributed to him by the athletic department: "I apologize to my coaches and teammates for my actions. I understand why I have been suspended. I know I have to improve myself as a person - for my own good and for the good of the team."

Self said Giles was academically eligible to play this semester, but as punishment for "a pattern of irresponsibility" would not be allowed to play. The semester will end Dec. 15, and the first game after that is Dec. 19 against Winston-Salem State in Allen Fieldhouse.

Giles, 21, drew the ire of his coach Oct. 16 when he missed a morning workout. He did not practice after that until Friday night. Self said the day Giles' suspension was announced that the action was taken in part, but not solely, for academic reasons. A search of court records then revealed Giles was due in court for unpaid child support to Lawrence resident Laura Bender, mother of Jaiden Giles. His court case was continued until Jan. 8.

Reached Friday at her home, Bender said she had been assured the monthly child support payments she is due would be taken directly out of Giles' monthly stipend before the check was given to Giles.

"I'm not surprised he's back," Bender said. "I knew it would happen eventually. I think C.J. deserves to be happy. It's a lot to handle. I just hope he gets his academics and personal life in order."

Self initially made it sound as if Giles was a longshot to return to the team, but never completely closed the door on a return.

"There has been a pattern of irresponsibility that has followed him around, and in order for him to progress as a person and to help this program, he has to greatly improve," Self said. "... He's got to be responsible carrying out appointments, being on time, academic responsibilities, teammate responsibilities. There are a lot of things he needs to do."

Sasha Kaun, out with a partially torn patellar tendon in his right knee, isn't likely to be ready to play against defending national champion Florida until Nov. 25 in Las Vegas. Giles presence could have come in handy against Florida's tall, athletic front line.

"If it was all about wins and losses, after Sasha got hurt, C.J. would have been back immediately," Self said. "Guys have to be responsible for their actions. C.J. needs to be and hopefully he understands that. We're not looking to Florida as a definitive game. Obviously, our chances would be better if we had everybody participating."

The 6-foot-11 Giles came to KU from Seattle carrying the "potential" label that he still hasn't shed.

In 33 games last season, Giles averaged 6.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game. Playing time will be more difficult to earn because of the addition of freshman sensation Darrell Arthur and the improvement of junior Darnell Jackson.

In announcing his decision, Self sounded like a coach more concerned with what the team can do for the person than what the player can do for the team.

"All the guys like C.J.," Self said. "C.J.'s never been a problem with a teammate or a coach. We never have faulted his effort. We have faulted that he's been irresponsible in multiple ways."

Comments

Alec White 13 years, 2 months ago

I really wonder if the people bashing on C.J. would have the same attitude if he was averaging 18 and 10 a game. Also, I don't recall him having any other past problems at KU so I don't know what you are talking about Jclarkson, unless you are referring to him not living up to expectations. All his teammates seem to think he is a quality person, and I am sure that they are much closer to him then you are.

Jclarkson 13 years, 2 months ago

Robot.....

"he hasn't done anything all that bad."

Owing over $4000 in child support? Having only seen your child a half dozen times since he was born a year and a half ago?

He is a deadbeat dad. Regardless of how you spin it. His offcourt antics have brought nothing but shame to this school. Perhaps you don't care about what sort of reputation this place has, but as an alumni, I expect people to respect the place I love as I did when I was a student here.

If you want further information on how hard it is when someone opts to not pay child support, perhaps you should ask some single parents how it affects them. Or go ask some KU students who'se parents were deadbeats when they grew up. They likely won't tell you that what Giles is doing "isn't anything all that bad."

Stating my opinion Giles is a disgrace does not qualify as "trolling." It's neither mean spirited, nor ignorant for the sake of being a jerk. Its an honest opinion based upon the actions of Giles. Perhaps you should look at the timeline of CJ Giles at KU. It hasn't exactly been a pretty one.

Dale Kroening 13 years, 2 months ago

I agree CJ needs to take care of his child and we dont know the whole story,but give the guy a break last time I checked being a student athlete isnt easy and you are limited on any income.That being said there is really no excuse for him not seeing the kid though.I think the punishment coach gave was about right.The team will be fine until Sasha's return and CJ's return if he follows through on his responsibilities.The team will benefit in the long run.Rock Chalk Jayhawk!Go KU!

cobweb 13 years, 2 months ago

Send him to Iraq for a year. He'll be an All-American when he comes back.

Robin Smith 13 years, 2 months ago

Also, I'm glad that CJ is back because he does have potential and he has shown it at times. With a remakably small amount of improvement in consistency he could be truly outstanding. He still is a good prospect for the NBA and will be valuable to KU when he plays again and especially now in practice.

He deserves to be forgiven because he is a human and he hasn't done anything all that bad. He is remedying his maladies and that deserves a little bit of respect.

bobmoz 13 years, 2 months ago

When I was 19, my only cares in the world were beer, girls and fun. Naturally, I learned some things the hard way. Please don't forget that we're talking about KIDS here. These guys make millions of dollars for KU without seeing a dime in return. From an economic standpoint, what they receive in exchange is an absolute joke. But the pressure and attention that surrounds their actions is real and suffocating. Please try to consider that we all become better people through our mistakes. To expect KIDS to live and perform under the microscope of KU hoops without mistakes is just plain crazy.

As of now, Coach Self has given us no reason to believe that he isn't acting in the best interest of the university and the kids in his care.

Quit preaching. You don't know better. You don't have the answers. Like anything involving KIDS, time will tell. Be supportive. Be an example. Be someone that these KIDS can look up to. THAT will help them, and KU, get better.

Jclarkson 13 years, 2 months ago

I think its a mistake to let him return to the team. Giles has been nothing but one mishap after another. In my opinion, he's been nothing but a disgrace here. He's disgraced himself, his family and the university with his actions.

It's obvious he still hasn't learned from the Moon Bar incident. Somehow, I doubt he'll ever learn from this.

Robin Smith 13 years, 2 months ago

Cobweb, Jclarkson and senegal66025 are trolls.

disgrace: someone who posts mean-spirited and ignorant comments for the sake of being a jerk.

CMKUbLu304 13 years, 2 months ago

Why is everyone always jumping on guys' backs when you don't know the whole story. No one really knows why he was suspended in the first place and I'm sorry but, I have no respect for fathers who purposely run away and do not pay for their children, but CJ is a student athlete with a lot on his mind. I'm not trying to make excuses for him, but stop jumping to conclusions when all you know is that he wasn't paying. You don't know why. I am glad to have CJ back. In my opinion, he can help this team and he is far from a bad person. He messed up, but looking back on recent events, apparently KU basketball players can't make mistakes. THEY ARE HUMAN. You can't tell me you've never made a mistake in your life. That's how people learn. Hopefully, CJ has learned a lot in the past few weeks. And I hope that he can come back a stronger player and a stronger person for it.

Bobo Fleming 13 years, 2 months ago

At some point he might grow up and actually be a positive influence on the team. But right now I think he sets a really good example for the Frosh. Somebody they can really look up to as a role model. Not.

kujeeper 13 years, 2 months ago

Cobweb....I think there is a few too many cobwebs in your head... That is the dumbest idea so far today, congrats you win the race to stupidity!

ku_bringback_danny 13 years, 2 months ago

I know CJ can have Darnell Jackson pay his child support. After all he has the money.

CasperCorps 13 years, 2 months ago

Darnell Jackson is gonna surprise alot of people this year. And that Arthur kid looks OK against short people so watch out... Go KU!!!!

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

Slightly off topic but not too far... I'm not so sure where this whole issue of the students/athletes not getting anything from the school that gains millions from their work comes from. They know the drill, they sign on. The school provides them an education, room, food and most of all, a national stage to prove themselves as a 5star player so they can be potentially drafted in the NBA (or Europe or wherever) and make tons of money.

Aside from the money, they get to live the life of 'rock stars' in a town that loves them for their hard work and magnanimous nature. They travel around the world, across the country and enjoy (for the most part) the spotlight that every kid dreams about.

The school doesn't need to be lambasted for not giving them money just because they (the school) makes money from the sport. That's the whole idea!

Don't even try to make it out to be an uneven trade... it is a very equitable arrangement that benefits both sides.

tis4tim 13 years, 2 months ago

JayCeph & Brooklyn-

I don't mean to get overly analytical on this board. But, I do enjoy a good discussion above inane blather. Just ask Lebowski. :D

And JayCeph, my problem is not so much a thin skin as a thick skull. :D

No hard feelings. I can take it.

tis4tim 13 years, 2 months ago

CMKUbLu304-

You said: "He messed up, but looking back on recent events, apparently KU basketball players can't make mistakes. THEY ARE HUMAN. You can't tell me you've never made a mistake in your life. That's how people learn."

You can't just boil it down to the "Oh, we've all made mistakes" level. Of course we've all made mistakes. But, there's a deep chasm of difference between a travelling call, or spelling definitely with an "a" instead of an "i" like so many do, or punching your sister in the head because she took the last juice box, and some of the things C.J. has done (or not done in this case). It is a question of degree.

And, I'd be willing to bet that for most of us, when we made big mistakes, we had our butts chewed out by any number of people just like CJ is now. Do you know what enables one to "learn" from mistakes? Punishment. Without it, nothing good is derived from a bad situation. I don't think reinstating him so quickly is going to teach CJ anything. Sure, he may have rectified some things and that's great. But he should have done that regardless. Doing what you should have done in the first place is not punishment. Maybe he will learn something from this. Unfortunately, some people never learn. I guess we'll find out a lot about CJ in the coming months.

Somebody else suggested that if he were putting in 18 and 10 a game we'd see it differently. Sadly, that is probably true, though it shouldnt be so. The story is so common. People in the position to mentor these kids are quick to overlook transgressions because of their supreme talent. Some of these kids never learn because they've never been admonished for poor behavior or told "no". How many chances should a Lawrence Phillips get before a foot is lowered? Now, CJ is NOT Lawrence Phillips by any stretch, but at what point do athleticism and stats take a back seat to responsibility?

I would also suggest that beer and girls (as yet another person mentioned) in the name of fun is definitely healthy for any 19-year old college kid. But, that view is too overly-simplistic for this situation as well. We wouldn't be talking about this or any other recent incident ad nauseum, if it were only beer and girls in question. The problem is drunken public brawls and (seemingly)unwanted pregnancies. Very different. Again, a question of degree.

rockbrooklynchalk 13 years, 2 months ago

this is the most ridiculously overblown set of blog entries I have ever seen.

tis4tim 13 years, 2 months ago

Geez, now I went and upset some people with my overblown post.

I should know better than to upset someone by backing up an opinion with some thought or a bit of explanation.

I should have stuck to the standards: "Get a life!" and "You're a racist." How's that? Better? Didn't think so.

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

Tis4tim, it's not that you had facts and a cogent point to support your position... it's just that the whole argument/dialogue is a bit rote. CJ blah blah blah

Let's move on. (You make some great analysis; try not to be so thin skinned.)

rockbrooklynchalk 13 years, 2 months ago

Fact: CJ Giles was suspended. Fact: He has now been reinstated.

Opinion: We all have opinions about what happened between the lines of those factual occurrences. I merely suggest that KU fans should focus on discussing the upcoming basketball season rather than engage in a philosophical debate over the degrees of CJ Giles' past offenses or regurgitate thoughtless, gossipy accusations against someone's character. Seriously. There have been some meaningful posts in between the lines here but we have to admit that this blog began with some village idiot suggesting that we "send CJ Giles to Iraq for a year." Those kind of debates usually get worse before they get better.

Come on KU fans, we have more serious things to talk about right now, like the regular season opener in less than a week. What's done is done. Let CJ Giles, Coach Self, and Laura Bender sort out their personal issues in private.

Joe Ross 13 years, 2 months ago

All of these judgemental attitudes brazenly posted on here almost sicken me. Ive been a loyal KU fan since i was 3 years old. I am now 34. I can not believe how down fans are on a player. How will that help? Will Giles become a better player with all this negativity swirling around him? Will it help him improve his personal life? Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions, i wont deny that. But every one of us is making an assumption based on incomplete information at whatever points we decide to make judgements one way or the other. Apart from that, one thing is sure: every one of us--EVERY ONE--makes mistakes. We ALL have things in our lives we wish others didnt know. Shameful secrets, personal failures, embarrassing flaws. CJ, who has admitted wrong and accepted responsibility, is in the unenviable position of having his flaws play out in front of all the public because he is an athlete on a high profile team. Trust me, Coach Self who has just been through the ordeal of being handed down sanctions, is going to make sure there are no violations that would harm the team. Being confident of that, why cant we all just support CJ as he is obviously going through a difficult time. KU FANS, THE NATIONS BEST, SHOULD BE SO SUPPORTIVE. Doing so will certainly help CJ, the basketball team, and the entire KU sports family.

JayCeph 13 years, 2 months ago

Tis4... more magnanimous than most. I really like reading your posts.

Let's talk about Washburn and their ability to fight the Manhattan Huggie-bears to 3 OTs and only lose by 4 points!! Go Ichabods!

CMKUbLu304 13 years, 2 months ago

jross---that is what I'm trying to say.