Friday, November 3, 2006

Giles back on team, won’t play until spring semester

Kansas University head men's basketball coach Bill Self announced in a statement Friday that junior forward C.J. Giles will resume practicing with the team as of today, but will not play in any games until the end of the fall semester.

Giles, a Seattle, Wash., native who averaged 6.2 points and 4.8 rebounds per game as a sophomore, had been suspended since Oct. 17 for issues off the basketball court, including a court date which as been pushed to Jan. 8 regarding more than $4,000 in unpaid child support to the mother of his young son.

"I think here's the bottom line," Self said. "We are in the business to help young people. We could certainly do more to help C.J. by him being here than us putting him out. The ball is in his court to do the right thing."

The terms of his return also indicate that Giles will miss Kansas' most high-profile regular season contest - a Nov. 25 showdown with defending national champion Florida in Las Vegas, Nev. The earliest Giles will be eligible to return to the court is Dec. 19, which is a home date with Winston-Salem State.

The Jayhawks won their exhibition opener without Giles' services Thursday night, 99-69 over Washburn at Allen Fieldhouse.

For more on this story, read tomorrow's Lawrence Journal-World.

Comments

lee3022 13 years, 2 months ago

I am amazed at the stong opinions on the fate of CJ and the actions of Coach Self expressed here when none of us know most of the particulars. Even the story about CJ not seeing his child is hearsay and unproven. I have real faith in Coach Self, who does know the particulars, to represent the University well and do right by the player and the team.

There is no moral dilemma here. Coach Self has firm rules he establishes to run his team. He sets the rules. He punishes the rule breakers. He counsels and reinstates the players who learn to live by the rules. This is life 101. The KU players have the opportunity to learn responsibility from the beginning as Freshmen. For many students this is learned only when they graduate and get their first job. It will make most of these players better people.

cobweb 13 years, 2 months ago

Jeff Graves reincarnated. You can't help those who won't help themselves. Have the talent for the NBA and wind up working in WalMart.

Robin Smith 13 years, 2 months ago

Those of you who judge CJ so harshly are shameful and shameless. He is a real person who is fallible just like you. Try to have some sympathy and leave your mean-spirited comments to fester in your mind.

Self has evidently judged that CJ is making progress with his issues so that's what matters.

Personally I don't think any of us have a right to judge him as a person and slander him anonymously in the comment section of articles. He's just a basketball player and he doesn't deserve the ridicule.

princebball12 13 years, 2 months ago

I think sometimes fans (DJKC28) get caught up wanting to be part of or putting in their 2 cents bout things they really dont know. I know recruiting is done by a group effort but wasnt Townsend the one who brought Sherron and Darrell here.

Jeremy Bolinger 13 years, 2 months ago

that would be the dumbest decision to do. How many times have you screwed up and needed a second chance to make it right? And what penalties can we get? If his grades aren't up to par, he will be ruled ineligible, so thats not a penalty! Shut up!

Ted Toulouse 13 years, 2 months ago

I'm all for second chances and keeping him around to keep him in check, but he needs to sit longer, maybe the whole year. This can't be just about the child support issue and with the sanctions that the athletic dept. is under now, I think this needs more time to correct itself and blow over.

Anyone else think that this might have been bumped up a bit because Sasha is out? Not that it matters - Kaun should be back before January anyway. Unless the medical staff is from the football team, then he'll probably keep reinjuring it, ala Meier's shoulder.

dbgjayhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

no joke, what penalties are you talking about? i applaud coach self for actually caring about his players' lives and giving second chances.

Donkeypunch 13 years, 2 months ago

Need more information but I'm going to applaud Self here too. It would be easy to get rid of Giles right now and clear the way for another blue chip recruit next year. Instead he is sticking with the kid, (who does have vast potential but has yet to bank on it) which says something, considering he can and DOES pull in all Americans every year.

bethnbob 13 years, 2 months ago

Beside we need to help to keep our big guys out of foul trouble, and he did lead the in blocked shots last year. If he can't get his head out of his A$$, then let him go.

kjhk 13 years, 2 months ago

DJKC28,

So whats the story with Townsend and NCAA violations, can you elaborate?

deepind 13 years, 2 months ago

I hope Giles realizes how lucky he is to get a second chance like this and work hard to improve his grades! In life there aren't many second chances Giles. On the other hand it may not be a bad idea for Giles to take a red shirt year, work out all the off-court troubles and then get back to bball.

filmhawk 13 years, 2 months ago

i thought CJ was done at KU. that was until singler signed with the lacrosse team at duke. i sincerely hope that CJ has learned his lesson, and even more importantly, learned the offense. i don't care what his score is on the boards, but how he cleans them. if you think me a hypocrite, i ask you, "are you more concerned with the classload that B-Rush and Darrell are enroled in now?" my guess is "no." remember: while we take pride in jacque vaughn's g.p.a., we all look for paul pierce's box score. go celtics.

Derek King 13 years, 2 months ago

I applaud coach Self, but at the same time, what the hell is his dad doing? He moved down here, presumably to be a positive influence and so far, things aren't going so well.

C.J. has a (potential) NBA career in front of him, and whether or not you think this is being done selfishly to help the Jayhawks win games, it's also HCBS' duty to (with limits) allow the kids he recruits a chance to succeed (or fail, learn from their mistakes and try again).

This is certainly more for C.J.'s benefit than the team's--he needs KU a lot more than KU needs him, but again, that's part of HCBS' commitment to the kids he recruits to play for him.

Jclarkson 13 years, 2 months ago

I dont know about any of you, but I personally think Giles is a disgrace. He has no business being on a basketball court, given his problems. Given he owes over $4000 in child support and has only seen his child a half dozen times is enough for me to not want to support him. I have a child of my own and I work 2 jobs while im in school.

Don't foget this is not Giles first time in trouble at KU. He was part of the melee at the Moon Bar with Giddens. I think he's had a second chance.

I think its rather insulting how someone has been given the golden opportunity Giles has been given, then just craps on it the way he does.

Jclarkson 13 years, 2 months ago

I know some people will disagree with how I feel......So, don't take my words too harshly. I just don't feel that he's deserving of some pat on the back, and needed to be given some sympathy.

I hope the best for KU this season, but I don't need to see a seaon that could be exciting and amazing become one huge controversy after another.

78jayhawkdan 13 years, 2 months ago