Friday, July 21, 2006

Media say Nebraska, Oklahoma lead league

Jayhawks tapped fourth in North in preseason poll

The media have spoken. Nebraska and Oklahoma are the Big 12 Conference's top two football teams on paper.

The Big 12 preseason poll was released Thursday, with Nebraska favored to win the North and Oklahoma to win the South in a vote of 28 media members covering Big 12 football.

Kansas University, with 85 points, is picked fourth in the North, behind Nebraska (160), Iowa State (128) and Colorado (93). Missouri (82) was picked fifth and Kansas State (40) sixth by a big margin.

The Big 12 South had Oklahoma followed by Texas, Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State and Baylor.

For what it's worth, the media accurately picked the North and South champions (Colorado and Texas) in 2005, though last year's poll had five North teams receiving first-place votes.

This year's has just three - Nebraska (21), Iowa State (5) and Colorado (2).

The winners of the two conference divisions will square off in the Big 12 championship game Dec. 2. This year's game is at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo., before heading to San Antonio for the 2007 season.

¢ Houston Bowl no more: You may never notice, but the Houston Bowl has been canceled for 2006, and is being replaced with a similar bowl in the same city.

Financial woes put an end to the Houston Bowl after last year's game, played between TCU and Iowa State. The end of the bowl after six years wasn't official until this summer, though the NCAA approved a new bowl in the same location almost instantly.

The new bowl, which remains unnamed, will be played Dec. 28 at Reliant Stadium, and feature the Big 12's No. 8 team against the Big East's No. 4.

¢ Media days upcoming: Media members from throughout the Midwest will flock to Kansas City, Mo., next week for Big 12 media days.

Four teams will go each day, with Kansas currently scheduled for Tuesday morning. Coach Mark Mangino, tight end Derek Fine, center David Ochoa and defensive tackle James McClinton tentatively are slated to represent the Jayhawks.

Comments

JBurtin 8 years, 2 months ago

Not too bad, ahead of Missouri and K-State and very close to Colorado.

laidbak_bb 8 years, 2 months ago

yeah, im really exited for the ku football season. i have high expectations, but in the end the only thing that really matters is finishing ahead of k-state and missouri.

seattlehawk_78 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm glad they didn't pick KU any higher. It would be fine with me if they were picked to finish last. Hopefully we can sneak in under the radar.

pjdeanwag 8 years, 2 months ago

It's amazing. The difference in online posting numbers between this article and yesterdays "Beware of the Phog" signage article is beyond comprehension. Here is an story about the big twelve rankings in football...a sport absolutely on the rise at Kansas, due to a great coaching staff and a hungry young team. When are Kansas fans going to get excited about football and raise the level of support? When is the LJW going to give the football season a bit more gravity in the preseason, rather than dinky articles about every minute detail about the basketball team? Don't get me wrong. I love Kansas basketball. But it starts months away and behind an entire football season. Let's give coach Mangino and the footballers some needed support and credit. Don't you think it might help?

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm more excited about football than basketball!!!

It's just going to take time, Mangino is going against generations of conditioning and tradition ... there is hope, ticket sales are up and the box suites have a waiting list.

When I was in college, two years spent in marching band, I wasn't as excited about football as I am now.

I attribute it to four years of living in Florida, a college football hotbed like Texas.

For the record, I did my best to spread the gospel of college hoops while there. I was particularly taken with FSU's program (who beat UNC 3/4 years I lived in FLA); and I begrudgingly congratulated my Gator friends ...

I think the pendulum will continue to sway toward the gridiron as the wins accumulate, and Self's squads find new ways to implode come NCAA tourney time!

KURUSH1530 8 years, 2 months ago

hmm, the football team gets plenty of support..atleast what they deserve anyways, especially after a season in which quarterback issues cost us the big 12 north. But everyone knows that basketball will always be the main focus in Lawrence..don't get your panties in a bunch if you can't read about how well the team is doing in the weight room or out catching and throwing without pads on..not that I care about some dumb banners they replaced in the house, let's worry about the 2007 banner..anyways, I hope everything works out with all the holes that needed to be filled on this years football team..GO HAWKS!

truefan 8 years, 2 months ago

You're right pj. I have been waiting for a couple of years now for some good coverage, and even more important, some good support for the football team. On the other hand, most of the posts about the signs were people bitching back and forth to each other and had nothing really to do with basketball at all.
I like our chances for the standings we have been given, but I believe our football team will do better than fourth place. I'll see you in the stands pj.

pjdeanwag 8 years, 2 months ago

Right on. See you there. Go Hawks!