Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Hawkins cited in accident

Lawrence Police cited Kansas University basketball player Jeff Hawkins for leaving the scene of an accident Sunday morning after he struck another car while trying to cut in line at a fast-food drive-through lane, according to a police report.

Hawkins, a 23-year-old senior, was cited for leaving the scene of an accident and not having proof of insurance.

"We are aware of an incident. We are now gathering information. We are not going to say anything until after the game" tonight against Baylor, KU associate athletic director Jim Marchiony said.

It's not yet known whether the incident will affect the diversion agreement Hawkins reached with the Lawrence city prosecutor's office in October 2005 after he was charged with having a stolen KU parking pass. It's also unknown whether it will affect Hawkins' participation in tonight's game.

"It's a decision (Coach Bill Self) will make between now and game time," Marchiony said.

The Lawrence woman whose car was struck by Hawkins' 2000 Buick told police she was trying to pull up to the drive-through speaker at McDonald's, 1309 W. Sixth St., at 2:07 a.m. when Hawkins drove up from the right-hand side and pulled in front of her, striking her 2002 Kia Spectra on the front passenger corner. The woman told police that when she got out and told Hawkins he had hit her, he blamed her for the collision.

Hawkins then went ahead and ordered his food, police said. Minutes later, an officer who was called to the scene stopped him as he was driving out of the parking lot, according to the report.

Hawkins told the officer "he had no idea" what happened and said that his car didn't strike the other car.

Police said the officer who stopped Hawkins did not have any reason to suspect Hawkins was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Assistant Sports Editor Gary Bedore contributed information to this article.

Comments

Confrontation 13 years, 11 months ago

I sure wish we could ship him off like we did Giddens. Sadly, this wouldn't be too much of a punishment, since this is his last year. He should sit out the rest of the season.

born1980 13 years, 11 months ago

I've never seen anyone at McDonalds at 2:00 am sober.

b_asinbeer 13 years, 11 months ago

We don't know the whole story yet, so let's not jump to conclusions. You all know how ljworld always gives us incomplete information, so let's sit tight a little bit, then start judging.

daddax98 13 years, 11 months ago

so the kid got into a minor fender bender so what. get off your high horses and give it a rest

mztrendy 13 years, 11 months ago

yeah he's a ku basketball player so he should get away with anything. Isn't that how it works?

unclejesse 13 years, 11 months ago

yup, b_asinbeer, you're right. the ljworld is trying to cover this up for you. that's why this story has the exact same information as the one on the KC Star web site right now: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13926065.htm

unclejesse 13 years, 11 months ago

perhaps instead of blaming the media, you should try demanding the university hold the kid accountable for his numerous legal run-ins. responses like yours make you seem like just another jersey-chaser.

mztrendy 13 years, 11 months ago

right on unclejesse. Thats what needs to happen. Maybe some form of punishment would prevent these incidents.

sportaholic 13 years, 11 months ago

Look, Hawkins was a dork in a fender bender. He didn't torch the field house or anything. By that same token, he just exhibited what a stupid kid he is and what a poor representative he can be for KU atheletics.

We don't know the situation-- maybe the lady just sat there and didn't pull forward until Hawkins finally got tired of waiting and tried to go around her. It's happened to me at stop lights AND in a drivethru. Then again, maybe he was being an arrogant ass and just thought he could "assert" his place in line withou regard to others. WE DON"T KNOW.

Innocent until proven guilty. Let the evidence-- from both parties involved-- be presented before we pass judgement. THEN decide punishment. This should be a very straight forward investigation, probably concluded before the Baylor game tonight. Let the informed people decide judgement and punishment.

Innocent until proven guilty by way of the US Constitution, guilty until proven innocent by the American way of life.

Confrontation 13 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't call this a minor fender-bender, since he was actually "leaving the scene." I just hope they punish him like they would anyone else, and not let his status as a KU ball player weigh into this. Besides, he's not really needed off the bench.

bangaranggerg 13 years, 11 months ago

I laughed pretty hard when I saw this article, I've seen Hawk cut in line at McDonalds before. He just swoops in and cuts off the next person in line at the speaker. I was a few cars back when I saw it and since I just left the bar and was feeling brave, I went up to the car that had cut in and yelled at the driver and when I realized it was him, I actually told him "sorry, go on". True story. Thanks for your senior leadership J-Hawk, we really appreciate your example and that you played 5 or 6 deep on reserve at the guard position for 5 years. High class and high talent.

sportaholic 13 years, 11 months ago

Yes, it is indeed a minor fender bender. Leaving the scene is a different charge. Again, stupid kid does soemthing stupid-- maybe he really didn't know that the cars made contact. Maybe he did-- WE DON"T KNOW. Let's pass judgement AFTER all of the evidence is presented.

Agreed, his standing as a member of the team should have nothing to do with the severity of punishment-- provided he is found guilty.

mztrendy 13 years, 11 months ago

I also can't imagine why the guy was at McDonalds at two in the morning on a sunday if he hadn't been drinking or something. Seems a little odd to me. Unless the cop just didn't want to arrest a KU basketball player.

sportaholic 13 years, 11 months ago

Or maybe he was up late studying? This is how rumors get started. People make assumptions. It is already fixed in your heads that he was drinking or up to something else. I am up at 2 am all the time-- not drinking, drugging, or anything but working or studying. I see plenty of people at the late night eateries doing exactly the same thing. Always interesting when the drunk croud shows up and starts to mingle with the stone sober and seriously studying croud. Most of the sober folks end up leaving. :-)

unclejesse 13 years, 11 months ago

perhaps he was studying his lessons for the John Randle Ethics class, since that pretty much describes the way this guy has behaved since he has been in town. of course, his antics have not been as extreme as Randle's were, but they share a similar trait of not learning their lesson from their first two or three arrests.

mztrendy 13 years, 11 months ago

I understand that he could have been studying, but then why would he get into an accident, accuse the other driver of causing it, and then try to leave the scene, and tell the police officer he didn't remember that happening?

sportaholic 13 years, 11 months ago

Don't get me wrong-- I am not at all saying that any of you have incorrectly stated the circumstances or that any of you have incorrectly understood what happened at McDonald's at 2 am. Only saying that NONE of us know whether the assumptions/suspicions of intoxication are or are not true. NONE of us know the exact circumstances of why Hawkins tried to cut in line at McD. NONE of us know anything but the VERY sparse info put on this website (and, maybe, the KC Star).

People just want to dislike this guy, KU athletes, something-- I don't know. Conjecture is ALL that we have, so let's not get too wild with what we think happened because NONE of us KNOW what happened.

mztrendy 13 years, 11 months ago

no you are right, but they give us the option to post comments, so thats what we are doing.

NYJayhawk 13 years, 11 months ago

As someone who's known Jeff for ten years now, he's done some stupid things over the years...but he's a good person. He's actually much more humble now than he was when I met him - for all you out there who think he believes he thinks he's God for playing KU basketball.

Cutting in line is "wrong," yes...but everyone who's hyped up on "leaving the scene"...he was still there when the cop showed up AND he stopped to talk to him...it's not like he rammed into her car and sped away.

We all screw up from time to time and it pisses me off for people to jump down the neck of someone I know to be a decent human being.

mom_of_three 13 years, 11 months ago

I agree with NY Jayhawk. But he could be suspended for "conduct unbecoming of a Jayhawk."

Let the law handle it, because the University wouldn't step in or punish any other student for the same trouble.

mztrendy 13 years, 11 months ago

how can you get cited for leaving the scene if you didn't actually leave the scene? And someone else who "claims" he knows Jeff, has seen this same thing happen before at McDonald's. So maybe if he just thought this was something funny to do, he'll realize that its not. And that he should be setting an example instead of acting like a dumb@ss for whatever reason he was.

RonBurgandy 13 years, 11 months ago

sportaholic - are you a ku basketball player?

avhjmlk 13 years, 11 months ago

Don't forget that the MickyD's involved is the one with the new, strange drive-thru construction...Not that I'm blaming anyone or trying to relieve anyone from blame. Just a factor to consider.

mztrendy 13 years, 11 months ago

why the two lanes anyway? Its not any faster...

Patty Buchholz 13 years, 11 months ago

I wonder why the Lawrence Police Department are so concerned about 'leaving the scene'? When my sister had an accident (not her fault) in WalMart parking lot, she was told that the police could not do anything as it did not happen on a 'public street' but in a private lot. Her insurance had to cover the fault of the other person, who also had insurance. Funny, now the police can get involved. I wonder what the difference is.

avhjmlk 13 years, 11 months ago

Interesting point, happyp...I've heard the same about private property. Hmmmm....

mztrendy 13 years, 11 months ago

I don't know Happyp. I wonder if its because it was at 2am on a sunday morning. Probably trying to avoid someone being shot.

scarlets_talk 13 years, 11 months ago

give the guy some credit-he was a National Merit Semifinalist in high school and an honor roll student, so it's not entirely implausible that he was up late studying. And it's unfair to assume that he was under the influence.

That said, leaving the scene is always a dumb idea.

sportaholic 13 years, 11 months ago

Nope, not at all a KU bball player. BA from KU in 1998, presently working on my Ph.D. Never played for the basketball team or any KU team.

Let's be clear-- I am neither defending nor attacking Hawkins and his situation. I am only saying that there is an awful lot of conjecture going on here. I would make the same arguments for any of you or for anyone else. I often hear only one side of a story when I hear friends/family gripe about situations and/or other people. I always try to remind myself that I have only heard one side of the story, and I therefore have a biased view. I am simply trying to extend that same courtesy to Hawkins.

True, it is a bulletin board and we can all freely post comments/opinions. Just trying to remind all of us that what we may think happened is only conjecture on our part based on sparse information presented on KUSports.com.

achtung 13 years, 11 months ago

don't know if it was him but i had some guys do it to me too big blue buick four black guys, i assume they play sports

daddax98 13 years, 11 months ago

why is it that people keep saying, in essence, don't treat him diffrently because he plays basketball and then in the next breath say, in essence, punish him because he plays basketball by not letting him play basketball. wow!

daddax98 13 years, 11 months ago

" i assume they play sports" you sir/madam are an idiot

kpihl_03 13 years, 11 months ago

I bet he was just frickin hungry and wanted to get his food so he cut in front of a car. I'd do the same thing. Its not that bad.

RonBurgandy 13 years, 11 months ago

Hey wendt - Not only Letterman, but also as an answer on jeopardy as well. I couldn't believe that when I saw it.

Rhoen 13 years, 11 months ago

Quoting Mom ... "...I agree with NY Jayhawk. But he could be suspended for "conduct unbecoming of a Jayhawk..."

It seems to be more like "conduct that's becoming Jayhawk-like."

This is the sort of news report we used to see mostly in relation to member of the KU football team. Roy Williams' players managed to pretty much stay out of the spotlight for bad behavior off the courts.

Note no comment until after the game tonight ... at least the coach's priorities are in line.

And he probably did just get hungry studying late since all of the KU student-athletes are encouraged by the Athletic Department, booster clubs and adminstrators to put their studies first.

Spades 13 years, 11 months ago

I certainly hope that if I ever go to court for something, I don't get any of you on the jury, because I would be guilty before the trial starts. You all jump to assumptions on what happened. We don't know the whole story, and anyone who thinks they do is just filling in their own stories. Let the cops do their work, and find out what happened. If they do cover it up, I think we should be more concerned that they are giving benefits to KU athletes, rather than an athlete getting away with something.

bangaranggerg 13 years, 11 months ago

He should get a ticket for "cutting," that's just rude

kujtb 13 years, 11 months ago

He might be a candidate for the vacant mizzou job if he keeps pulling this kind of junk

Confrontation 13 years, 11 months ago

Using a stolen parking permit, leaving the scene of an accident...what's next for this loser?

Harry_Manback 13 years, 11 months ago

This doesn't seem that unlikely because the way the parking lot is there. I was at that McDonald's a while ago, and the drive thru is not set up well. Cars entering from the side street (not 6th) enter the drive thru differently than cars coming from 6th. Someone cut in front of me and almost hit me as well. I saw the same thing happen to the person behind me too.

Alison Roberts 13 years, 11 months ago

as a ku student.. i have seen the privleged life these damn basketball players live.

they get driven to their classes--they cant walk? they do something wrong and people look the other way.. they get into bars illegally. (the fresh/sophomores)

most of it pisses me off, but then again.. i love ku bball so i wont complain much.

but this kid annoys me.. he sucks--but if its the mcdonalds on 6th, their new 2 lane thing is kinda.. confusing and it would be easy to "cut" in front of someone when heading up to pay. its no excuse really though, because he has been in "trouble" before.

im glad he's leaving.

Jayhawk48162 13 years, 11 months ago

Look... he did something wrong, they nabbed him... he's sitting on the bench right now, so Coach isn't letting it slide, and obviously the city has done something about it. "Citation" means "ticket". He did something wrong, they gave him a ticket. Not arrest, no indictment.... just a dang ticket for leaving the scene, just like dozens of other traffic tickets that were probably handed out that night. Some of you guys are acting like someone had to bail him out of jail or something. Will it affect his diversion? Maybe, maybe not, that's up to his probation officer. Stupid? Absolutely. As stupid as every OTHER KU student that's left the scene of an accident. And now he's got a ticket for it, and is sitting out tonight to show that there ARE other consequences because of being a student-athlete. Let it go, everyone.

grimpeur 13 years, 11 months ago

Maybe take his license away since he--like anyone who would intentionally do this--is psychologically unfit to be driving? Maybe a little assault charge for using his car like a fist? More of this for all the jerks who think their car, phone, iPod or imagined self-important status gives them privilege to endanger and threaten others would be a good thing.

I'd have crushed his car like a bug under my dump truck wheels. But I bet he wouldn't pick on anything that isn't smaller. Typical.

Oh...and the ol' 9400 won't fit in the drive-thru...alas.

OmegaPaiN 13 years, 11 months ago

If you cut in line at the McDonald's drive through, you deserve a serious beating. I can't believe anyone, crappy KU basketball player or otherwise, has the nerve to do that.

The_Twelve 13 years, 11 months ago

Yes, the life of KUAC "heroes". It's nice to know that under Lew, things have gotten better. Now it's not only the football players who think they own the world, it's the basketball players, too.

As for vavs09292 comment: don't forget that many of these athletes have tutors. (I sure could have used one sometimes...). And some are such good students, that KUAC has to pay others to make sure they go to their classes...

bdizzle 13 years, 11 months ago

hey sportaholic, this is really late, and i'm sure the discussion is over, but you had a good point with the late night studying. however, Hawkins has already graduated, remember? so what does a KU ball player from KC do with his spare time after he graduates and continues to play on the team, he gets drunk and/or smoked up. Hawk should have never been allowed to come back after the incident last season before Canada, he's a chump, and he shoots way to much, and way too poorly.

sportaholic 13 years, 11 months ago

bdizzle, yes he graduated. However, to be a student athlete, he must stay continuously enrolled. Thus, he has to take classes. Hawkins, as I remember, is taking graduate level courses. Believe me, if you think undergrads have to study a lot, first year grad student courses take a lot more work.

If he "shoots way too much, and way too poorly" then why is he part of a rising squad that is now nationally ranked? Say what you like, he is a member of the team, a senior member of the team, and a darn good baller. I sincerely doubt that you would have the chops to cut it on the KU bball squad. He has shown some brilliance on the court (and sure, some flubs) and I am happy to have him on this KU team.

Bash him if you want, but he was a Williams recruit for a reason-- he's good. I don't care how many contrary responses this opinion gets-- he's better than any of us writing reponses on this board. Period. Think you're better? go for a walkon position and see if you have what it takes. 99.99999% chance that you don't.