Originally published August 31, 2006 at 12:00p.m., updated August 31, 2006 at 06:34p.m.

Mangino gets contract extension

New deal announced today

photo

Mark Mangino addresses the media during his first weekly news conference. He lauded freshman quarterback Kerry Meier on Tuesday in Hadl Auditorium.

Just two days before the desired goal, Kansas University football coach Mark Mangino signed a contract extension that keeps him locked up until 2010.

Mangino gets a significant raise - almost triple his earlier pay - while moving from the lowest-paid coach in the Big 12 Conference to roughly the fifth highest-paid. He will make a guaranteed $1.5 million per year, with incentives in place to boost it even higher.

Mangino and athletic director Lew Perkins were eager to wrap up negotiations before KU's season opener on Saturday. Talks initially began in the spring.

"I know now that he'll be here for nine years," Perkins said Thursday. "He's been here four and the new contract is a five-year deal. One of the things that is really important is stability and continuity."

Mangino's contract is retroactive to Jan. 1, 2006, which means he'll get a lump sum for all the extra money he didn't get in the last eight months. The deal expires Dec. 31, 2010.

In four years, Mangino has a 19-29 record, but has taken KU to two bowl games and made undeniable strides in building the program to a competitive level. His guaranteed money was just more than $600,000 under his old contract, which was to expire on Dec. 31, 2008.

Mangino's base salary will be $220,000, and another $1.28 million for "professional services rendered." Incentives, such as winning the national title or the Big 12 Conference championship, could add to his income. If he hits all of them, he could get as much as an extra $650,000 in a given year.

Both Mangino and Perkins admitted the process took longer than expected, but neither were dissatisfied with the final outcome.

"I wouldn't use the term difficult at all," Mangino said of the negotiations. "Both parties, we wanted to make sure it was right. They have an obligation to our fan base and our constituents to make sure every thing is right."

Comments

Rivethead 7 years, 7 months ago

It's a known fact.....people who make fun of other people (like the posters on this thread making fun of Coach Mangino's weight) are compensating for their own deficiencies.

It's sad. But at least these idiots are in the minority.

As far as the coach's contract extension.....I think it was one year premature. I think this is a transition year. We're not over the hump in terms of program development, but we're near the apex. Let's clearly make it to the next level (another winning season this year would prove that) and then give him the raise.

But I'm not the AD, so I'll live with it.

lukay 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh my goodness, how appalling some of these comments are...Mangino doesn't need to lose weight in order to be a great coach. He's a coach, not a player. Also, I would bet that him losing enough weight to lose the label of being obese would be a more difficult thing than almost any of us will accomplish in our lifetimes...

feefifofum 7 years, 7 months ago

The first time I saw Mangino's picture all I could think of was "Oliver Hardy on steroids". The Great Mangino or Man-Mountain Mangino were easy cheap shots that I am sure many others thought about.... But it sure was fun watching KU kick Nebraska's butt out of the stadium. And to listen to the Missouri game on radio - Max and Bob giddy with joy - switching over now and then to listen to the absolute death rattle coming from the TIGER network.

I hope we can survive whatever penalties are sent our way and sin no more - we might just be able to get over the hump . We are not quite there yet - but Coach has shown us the light at the end of a long tunnel.

frisbeenation 7 years, 7 months ago

ought to be a weight loss incentive somewhere in there. seriously, i want to see this guy around for a long time.

kshaff03 7 years, 7 months ago

I just hope he doesnt jump ship anytime soon. ... KU has done their part to see that he stays in Lawrence ... Keeping a good coach around is a great step towards accomplishing those goals. ...

4 years coaching and what is his major accomplishment? A 3 and 5 Big 12 record in the worst season the Big 12 has ever had, and thats a reason to lock down a coach? Your standards are so low its pathetic. You're worried about him running away? Name one major program that would take him. What a joke.

No wonder our program sucks. "Blue wings rising." What an embarrassment.

norsk_reporter 7 years, 7 months ago

Ahhhh...sweet denial and delusion.

solsken66 7 years, 7 months ago

hope the investment nets a high return

Todd Simpson 7 years, 7 months ago

can't you guys see that Mangino is pushing his O-line and D-Line showing them how to gain weight :) Awsome Job Mangino No doubt and this isn't sarcaism

bankboy119 7 years, 7 months ago

A couple things:

1) I'm glad Mangino is staying, he has done wonderful things for the program.

2) $1.5 million is way too much when KU is only winning 1/2 their games.

3) He does need to lose weight but nobody's perfect.

Keep up the good work Mangino.

Jane 7 years, 7 months ago

Once upon a time (when Perkins was new to KU), Mangina was told to lose weight, and there was a stair stepping machine put in his office. He has gained weight since arriving in Larryville...way to go...show those boys discipline, Mangina.

Ragingbear 7 years, 7 months ago

I really have to ask why somebody who is so incredibly obese is coaching and representing a team of people who are fit? I mean, this guy should put down the fork and walk instead of riding around in his golf cart all day.

Eliott Reeder 7 years, 7 months ago

Now if he'd just stop eating the freshmen.

Michael Foulston 7 years, 7 months ago

If we're really lucky, I'll hit a ginormous powerball, donate an a$$load to the university for some serious renevations to the stadium (which of course, will be named for me), and then we'll have better teams, coaches and facilities for football and hoops than the purple-pants down the road.

Huh? What? you mean the first part wasn't a dream and Mangino really did sign an extension...well, that kicks ass anyway.

Go Hawks!

Michael Class of '93

Mr_Sandman 7 years, 7 months ago

Good Work by KU to keep Mangino around. I really believe that KU can be a perennial bowl team and a Big 12 power. Keeping a good coach around is a great step towards accomplishing those goals.

seattlehawk_78 7 years, 7 months ago

This is great news. At the very least, KU has done their part to see that he stays in Lawrence.

Teapot9 7 years, 7 months ago

Awesome, I love hearing this. I really believe that he can turn this program into a Big 12 power and therefore a national contender. 5 years is perfect. I just hope he doesnt jump ship anytime soon.