Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Falkenstien honored in Capitol

— Retired radio announcer Max Falkenstien was honored today by the Legislature and Gov. Kathleen Sebelius.

Related stories

Falkenstien, who worked Kansas University basketball games for 60 years, said, "Its been a great run."

In the Senate, several legislators recalled how as children they hung on Falkenstien's every word as he announced basketball games.

"I always appreciated your fairness," Sen. Ralph Ostemeyer, R-Grinnell, said.

Falkenstien said he has been humbled by the many honors given him during the past season, including a standing ovation from Missouri basketball fans.

After the House unanimously approved a resolution honoring Falkenstien, he kidded House Speaker Doug Mays, R-Topeka, "You don't allow much time for the nays, I noticed."

Comments

katethegreat 8 years, 5 months ago

Max...we will miss you sooooo much!

Does anyone know who is replacing him?

esubrett 8 years, 5 months ago

I have heard anyone from Chris Piper to David Lawrence.

gphawk89 8 years, 5 months ago

No one can "replace" Max. You'll not find anyone else who has attended that many KU football and basketball games, much less made it their career to study the stats, call the games, interview the players and coaches. Max takes with him a wealth of experience that no one will ever be able to duplicate. It won't be the same without you Max. Thanks for all the memories!!

Robert Greenwood 8 years, 5 months ago

It is definately not going to be the same without Max. I was so glad when I could hear the games again over the internet after I moved a way from Kansas. I am going to miss hearing his voice during and after the games.

lonnie_q 8 years, 5 months ago

Talking about KU basketball tradition, you're looking at one.

Thank you Max!

wtarush 8 years, 5 months ago

Watch the game on TV with the sound off and the radio on... It will never be the same.

missKU 8 years, 5 months ago

I totally agree with you missmagoo. I really don't want Chris Piper. Max was so great there isn't anyone who can replace him. I'm really going to miss him.