Saturday, February 19, 2005

Kansas loses second straight overtime game

Jayhawks fall to Cyclones, 63-61


Kansas University's men's basketball team suffered a comedy of errors Saturday against Iowa State.

The Jayhawks (20-3 overall, 10-2 Big 12 Conference) couldn't hit three-pointers, struggled from inside the arc and turned the ball over seemingly every other possession in the second half.

Still, Kansas nearly pulled out a victory before falling to Iowa State in overtime, 63-61, in Allen Fieldhouse.

"They were terrific, and of course offensively we were pitiful," KU head coach Bill Self said. "But a lot of that was because of them. They junk it up and just get you to think and we didn't play good enough to handle what they threw at us."

Kansas made just four of 23 shots from beyond the arc, including 1-of-11 shooting by J.R. Giddens, 1-of-6 shooting from Aaron Miles, and 0-of-3 shooting by Keith Langford.

Shots from within the three-point line weren't much easier for Kansas, which shot 34 percent (20 of 58) from the field overall (and 46 percent from inside the arc). The Jayhawks also kept themselves from coming back in the second half with 14 turnovers after intermission (and 18 in the game).

Even with those struggles, the Jayhawks had the opportunity to win after Langford tied the game at 56-all and sent it to overtime with his second game-tying, buzzer-beating, driving layup of the week.

The Jayhawks were able to tie the game with a 12-3 run over the final two and a half minutes of regulation, helped by the Cyclones missing five of seven free throws in that period.

Kansas took a three-point lead early in overtime on a three-pointer by Jeff Hawkins, but Iowa State battled to a 61-all tie in the final minute of overtime. Sophomore guard Curtis Stinson, who scored all of ISU's points in overtime, gave the Cyclones the lead with a jumper from just inside the foul line.

Langford missed a long-range jumper just before the buzzer sounded, ending the game.

"We played terrible, got it to OT, had a three-point lead in OT, and didn't make a shot, didn't attack the lane, didn't pass it worth a flip and that's what happens," Self said.

Stinson led all scorers with 29 points, along with seven rebounds and four steals. Jared Homan added 14 points and 11 rebounds before fouling out in overtime.

Wayne Simien finished with 17 points and 11 rebounds, Langford had nine points, six boards and five turnovers, and Miles had seven points, five rebounds and 10 assists.

Giddens finished with seven points, four rebounds and three steals, Jeff Hawkins had six points on two late three-pointers, and Sasha Kaun had seven points, seven rebounds and three blocks in his first career start (Christian Moody missed the game with a knee injury).

C.J. Giles added four points and three blocks, Michael Lee had two points and two boards before fouling out, and Darnell Jackson had two points.

Rahshon Clark had eight points and 10 rebounds for Iowa State, Tasheed Carr has four points, four boards and three steals, and Damion Staple had five points and seven rebounds. Will Blalock added three points and six assists.

Kaun scored the first basket of the game, and the Jayhawks extended the lead to five points, 6-1, before the Cyclones scored four straight points as Kansas missed nine straight shots.

Kansas led 17-11 a little past the midway point of the first half after an Aaron Miles three-pointer, but Iowa State scored the next eight points, taking its first lead of the game, 19-17.

The Jayhawks briefly tied the game at 19-all, but the Cyclones scored the next five points. Kansas drew within two points three times in the closing minutes, but Iowa State took a five-point lead, 31-26, into the locker room at halftime.

Iowa State held the lead for the first eight and a half minutes of the second half before Miles hit a pair of free throws for a 37-36 KU lead.

The Cyclones answered quickly, scoring 13 of the next 17 points and taking their biggest lead of the game at 49-41.

Kansas missed two late chances to cut into Iowa State's lead, as Michael Lee missed a layup after a steal and the Jayhawks couldn't corral the ball after a missed free throw by the Cyclones.

The Jayhawks responded, though, with their 12-3 run that sent the game into overtime.

Kansas was 17-of-24 shooting from the foul line, while Iowa State hit 19 of 29 free throws.

The Cyclones were 21-of-61 shooting from the field, including 2-of-11 from long distance. They turned the ball over 14 times.

All stats are unofficial.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.