Saturday, October 2, 2004

Nebraska stops KU, 14-8


— Despite solid defense throughout, Kansas University's football team failed to end a 35-game losing streak to Nebraska, falling 14-8 to the Cornhuskers on Saturday in Memorial Stadium.

KU jumped out to a 2-0 lead just 12 seconds into the game when NU quarterback Joe Dailey made a bad pitch to Tierre Green. Dailey picked up the fumble, but was forced out of the back of the end zone for a safety.

Charles Gordon returned the ensuing free kick 25 yards to KU's 46-yard line, and the Jayhawks moved to Nebraska's 20-yard line before stalling on third-and-three. Scott Webb missed a 37-yard field goal attempt wide left.

Dailey threw a short pass to Cory Ross, who turned the play into a 24-yard gain, but Gordon picked off Dailey on the Cornhuskers' next play.

Kansas was going to attempt a fourth-down conversion before a false start penalty forced a Kyle Tucker punt.

Nebraska went three-and-out, though, giving KU the ball back, but the Jayhawks returned the favor after failing to gain a first down.

The Cornhuskers moved to midfield with a 22-yard run by Ross, but couldn't get another first down before punting.

There was no punt in the works for KU on its next drive. Fabian Washington picked off Adam Barmann's pass that deflected off Mark Simmons' hands, giving NU a first down at KU's 31-yard line.

Nebraska couldn't take advantage, though, as Sandro DeAngelis missed a 45-yard field goal attempt off the crossbar.

KU moved downfield on back-to-back first-down passes from Barmann to Gary Heaggans, and took a 5-0 lead on a 36-yard field goal by Johnny Beck.

Nebraska again moved to midfield before punting. Sam Koch's kick appeared to be headed out of bounds, but took a Nebraska bounce and was downed at KU's 2-yard line.

The Jayhawks went three-and-out, and a clipping penalty against the Cornhuskers on the punt pushed them back to midfield.

After a five-yard pass from Dailey to LeFlore on first down, Nebraska kept the ball on the ground four straight plays and scored on an 18-yard run up the middle by Ross. The touchdown gave NU a 7-5 lead with just less than three minutes less in the half.

KU moved into Nebraska territory in the closing minute of the half, but Barmann was sacked on third-and-10 from NU's 35-yard line, forcing a Beck punt and the end of the first half.

The Jayhawks had no more success on the opening drive of the third quarter, going three-and-out. Derek Fine was flagged for a fair-catch interference penalty on the punt, giving Nebraska first down at KU's 32-yard line.

The Cornhuskers couldn't capitalize on the penalty, failing to garner a first down before DeAngelis missed another field goal.

KU marched downfield, converting a third down and a fourth down, but stalled at NU's 22-yard line. Beck hit a 39-yard field goal, giving KU a one-point lead with just less than seven minutes left.

Nebraska regained the lead eight plays later on a 14-yard screen pass from Dailey to Ross down the right sideline. The catch was Ross' first career touchdown reception. DeAngelis' extra-point kick gave the Cornhuskers a 14-8 lead.

John Randle moved the Jayhawks to midfield before three consecutive Barmann incompletions forced another punt.

KU regained possession two plays later when Gordon forced a Ross Pilkington fumble that was recovered by Banks Floodman. The Jayhawks went three-and-out after the turnover, though.

Dailey threw another interception three plays later. Gordon picked off the pass and returned it three yards to the KU 14-yard line. Just like the last drive, though, KU went three-and-out.

Another Dailey interception - this one by Rodney Harris - gave KU a first down at Nebraska's 26-yard line. KU gained just two yards though, and Barmann threw incomplete on fourth-and-eight from NU's 24-yard line.

Nebraska failed to gain a first down, though, and Gordon returned Koch's punt to KU's 36-yard line. The Jayhawks again failed to move the ball, punting four plays later.

The Cornhuskers, hurt by two false start penalties, again went three-and-out. KU had just as little success, failing on a fake punt on fourth-and-14 from its own 35-yard line.

Nebraska again couldn't garner a first down, and Koch's punt went out of bounds at KU's 22-yard line with 1:05 left in the game.

KU had one last chance at scoring, but Mark Simmons was flagged for pass interference trying to stop an interception with 15 seconds left, giving KU a first-and-25 from their own 42-yard line. Barmann threw a desperation Hail Mary as the clock expired, but the pass went uncaught.

¢ KU started the same offensive linemen as they did last week - from left to right, Matt Thompson, Bob Whitaker, Joe Vaughn, David Ochoa and Cesar Rodriguez.

  • Tony Coker saw playing time midway through the second quarter.
  • Sophomore kick returner Greg Heaggans did not make the trip to Lincoln.
  • Freshman linebacker Mike Rivera was not suited for KU.
  • Tony Stubbs did not start for KU. Rodney Fowler started in his place.
  • Announced attendance was 77,637.

All stats are unofficial.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.