Back to game coverage

Kansas at Rice coverage

Rice defeats Kansas, 23-14

• 6:30 p.m., Sept. 14, 2013
  • Houston, Texas,

FINAL: KU's offense struggles in 23-14 loss to Rice

An impressive effort by the Kansas football defense wasn't enough to overcome incompetent offense, as Rice rallied in the fourth quarter for a 23-14 victory over KU in Houston.

The game-changing play came with 8:43 left in the fourth quarter, as Rice kicker Chris Boswell blasted a 56-yard field goal to turn a 14-13 deficit into a 16-14 Owls lead.

Following a KU three-and-out, Rice added a 50-yard TD drive, capped by an eight-yard rushing touchdown by Charles Ross.

Though he was indecisive most of the night, KU quarterback Jake Heaps didn't get much help from the players he was throwing to, either. The junior finished 13-for-28 for 157 yards with a touchdown and two interceptions.

Tony Pierson led KU's offense with four catches for 95 yards with a touchdown, but he had just five total touches. James Sims added 20 carries for 117 yards, though 21 of those yards came on the game's final play with Rice in prevent defense.

Overall, KU's offense averaged just 4.2 yards per play and 2.9 yards per rush.

The Jayhawks (1-1) will play host to Louisiana Tech at 11 a.m. on Sept. 21.

HOW THEY SCORED

First Quarter

6:40 — Michael Kutzler 51 interception return. Chris Boswell kick. The Kansas defense forced Rice to punt on its first offensive possession and the offense responded with back-to-back first downs on its first drive. But on a third-and-long, Jake Heaps was intercepted when Kutzler batted the ball into the air to himself and raced to the end zone untouched. (RICE 7, KU 0).

Second Quarter

9:20 — Tony Pierson 77 pass from Jake Heaps. Matthew Wyman kick. After a sluggish first quarter, the KU offense picked up a huge momentum play on a third-down completion from Heaps to Pierson. Pierson caught the pass about 15 yards from the line of scrimmage, absorbed a hit, spun out of it and then raced away from the rest of the Rice defense. Rice also was flagged for roughing the passer on the play that capped a five-play, 91-yard drive that took 1:48. (RICE 7, KU 7).

6:04 — Chris Boswell 40 field goal. Rice answered KU's scoring drive with a 52-yard, eight-play drive that reached the edge of the KU red zone but stalled when KU defensive end Michael Reynolds sacked McHargue on third-and-10, forcing the Owls to send Boswell on for the three-pointer. (RICE 10, KU 7).

0:09 — Chris Boswell 28 field goal. KU came up with another defensive stand inside of three minutes left in the first half, but gave possession right back on the first play of the next drive when Jake Heaps was intercepted trying to find Justin McCay deep down the KU sideline. Twelve plays, 71 yards and 2:36 later, Rice added to its lead with the chip shot field goal just before halftime. (RICE 13, KU 7).

Third Quarter

1:01 — Jake Heaps 1 run. Wyman kick. Isaiah Johnson's first career interception and 31-yard return set the Jayhawks' offense up with a first-and-10 at the Rice 16 yard line and, four plays later, Heaps rammed it in behind his offensive line to give Kansas its first lead. Even this was not easy for KU, which went 16 yards in four plays and 1:42, but a huge conversion on third-and-12 from Heaps to Tre' Parmalee set up the score. Heaps did a magnificent job of hanging in the pocket long enough to make the throw and Parmalee flashed some nifty moves to get to the one. (KU 14, RICE 13).

Fourth Quarter

8:05 — Chris Boswell 56 field goal. The Jayhawks' defense once again held up, despite Rice starting this drive at midfield, but the Owls' biggest weapon came through with the 12th field goal of his career from 50 yards or longer to put the home team back in front after a six-play, 12-yard drive that took 2:28. (RICE 16, KU 14).

3:28 — Charles Ross 8 run. Boswell kick. The Kansas defense came up with big-time stops throughout the night, but late in the game it was a three-and-out by Rice's defense that set up the game's biggest score. With back-up quarterback Driphus Jackson running the offense, Rice marched 50 yards in six plays and 3:09 to jump out to a two-score lead. (RICE 23, KU 14).

Comments

Andrew Moore 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe its time to hire an offensive coordinator!

Pitthawk34 6 years, 8 months ago

doubt it will matter...How about a new AD that is not a state mole.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 8 months ago

Zinger has made improvements, so he is not the problem. Facilities are being upgraded and I'm confident after Jayhawk Park the football stadium is next.

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

JMason, that takes a lot of courage to call other posters a name. I'm smarter than you are and I can prove it.

jmason 6 years, 8 months ago

I was referring to your comment, not you personally

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

David Leathers 6 years, 8 months ago

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I have my opinions but I didn't call anyone an idiot or an a-hole. I don't want you to get banned, but with that comment you just made, it'll probably get removed and that's your fault.

David Leathers 6 years, 8 months ago

Didn't take long either, but at least you got the gist.

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

Post another one like you did if you really don't care if you don't get banned.

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

Do you really want to play this? If you want to have a discussion about a topic, you can name it, then name the place we have it, but it won't be here.

I didn't suggest your post for removal, by the way.

jmason 6 years, 8 months ago

David Leathers 6 years, 8 months ago

FCS caliber offense, FBS caliber defense. I don't know who is more at fault for KU's offensive woes, Charlie Weis or Jimmay Mundine, but right now, the nod goes to Mundine. That kid needs to buy a pair, grow a pair, or go home.

Randy Bombardier 6 years, 8 months ago

Heck, maybe he is a good blocker. In which case, Weis is supposed to be a fan of using 3 or 4 TE's lets just say Mundine will be the last one we sent out on a pass pattern.

Andy Tweedy 6 years, 8 months ago

But we already know Smiley can block, so why not just go with him?

Bryce Landon 6 years, 8 months ago

The offense reminded me of when Adam Barmann was running the show in the early days of the Mangino era. Stale and impotent. And just like when Barmann was the QB, the defense, as stout as it was, was faced with the task of trying to keep the Jayhawks alive and couldn't do it. I hope the defense has a nasty Nick Reid type of guy who is willing to get in the faces of some of the offensive players and challenge their manhood as Reid did following back-to-back games where the Jayhawks didn't score a single TD.

Mike Barnhart 6 years, 8 months ago

I am not impressed with any of this!!! Anderson and Booth have to be sick about paying BOTH GILL AND WEIS for this dumpster fire of a program!!!

sawman3333 6 years, 8 months ago

We'll be a touchdown dog against LATech?

jmason 6 years, 8 months ago

This is a complete and utter joke!!!!!!

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 8 months ago

A quick passing game is what I'm clamoring for. If you're guaranteed 5 yard receptions you get first downs and take the pressure off the run game. Eventually those 5 yarders become more because of missed tackles and a tiring defense. Then the deep ball comes into play, but in calculated moments. This offense is fixable if the play calling was catered to our skill set. We don't have a lot of offensive speed, but putting guys in position for success by playing to the strengths of players.

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree, and early in the game we didn't execute those quick ones down the middle, but Weis was trying to be cute. People don't want cute, they want to take what the defense gives them and use our size with McKay to get some catches on the outside, but they don't have to be deep throws.

Pitthawk34 6 years, 8 months ago

I cant wait to listen to the cupcake questions from LJW. Pucker up.

Randy Bombardier 6 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, it kinda looks that way sometimes but really to be fair, the LJW gives the benefit of the doubt to the coaches. Certainly dont want them to be hostile...or do we?

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

I think people are right that we need an OC, and I think that maybe writing a bunch of letters to Zenger about this. The play calls were horrid. Weis isn't making good play calls. We should have a guy upstairs making the call as he can see what the opposing defenses are doing.

With that said, we had our opportunities if only the receivers would make plays or like McKay not making the play on the ball on that second INT. Even if he got an Offensive PI there, I'd take it but make an effort to get to the ball.

Chayse Patrick 6 years, 8 months ago

very true. why have heaps run or should I say try to run with supposedly all that speed in the backfield and on the sideline. The play calling was absolutely horrible and we are in need of an OC sooooooooo bad.

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

Not just that, but a play with a go route like the one in the first half, and that backwards pass. You don't practice those plays unless you have comfortable lead or are just down big, but these play calls killed the momentum that we had going.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 8 months ago

You can pay me a fraction of the typical OC and guarantee ill improve this offense

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

If you can, then go to Lawrence and approach Weis and tell him that you'll take that load off for a cheap price.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 8 months ago

If I thought he would listen or if I knew how to get a meeting with him I would.

Darin Bradley 6 years, 8 months ago

The play calling was really bad tonight as were the WRs/TEs. Can't blame Gill or Lew or anyone else. HCCW needs to get his house in order. Plenty of talent on this team to get the win and we failed. Not playing to our strengths at all. Just bad. Our defense on the other hand played their butts off. Clear improvement from last year. I'd say the JUCO experiment is working on that side of the ball so far.

Win or lose Rock Chalk! Charlie get your sh!t together.

Mike Barnhart 6 years, 8 months ago

Charlie Weis is bringing an NFL style offense to college at the same time the NFL is evolving to a college style game. This whole thing is blowing up in Zenger's face!

Andrew Moore 6 years, 8 months ago

excellent! I love the irony you've pointed out

gorilla10 6 years, 8 months ago

PEOPLE! Relax, KU was clearly the better team tonight if you ask me. Offensive play calling stunk and Mundine and our receivers were a no show! The defense looked greatly improved as well. I know it stinks losing game 2 but DO NOT turn your backs on this team! These players are working their best to turn this around. Everyone bashing Weis and the team are pathetic. Look for KU to rebound against La. Tech and get this thing going. I'm more annoyed the you dumb fans than the Jayhawks effort tonight.

GROW UP.

gorilla10 6 years, 8 months ago

"Get real, bro". Ha, go cry until bball season bro. KU doesn't need fans like you....

Mike Barnhart 6 years, 8 months ago

Can I help you with the definition of team? It INCLUDES play calling and pass catching and getting open!

Andrew Moore 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree. I'm optimistic about improvement. I guess I'm disappointed with how LOW THE CEILING IS for this offense. That is what we are upset about!

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 8 months ago

My complaint has been the play calling. The defense has improved and like most of us I'm hoping the offensive calls change to get is points on the board or at least give our defense more of a break. My optimism is slowly depleting, but each week when kick off comes I'm hopeful. I can truly say I'm impressed with our defense thus far.

Andy Tweedy 6 years, 8 months ago

The better team? What game were you watching? I love my Jayhawks, but we were terrible tonight.

Michael Maris 6 years, 8 months ago

I think Tait needs to seriously reconsider how good his ability to evaluate the players is. For 2 seasons now, we fans have heard how good the QB's are going to be. We all know what happened with Crist. And, now Heaps is looking no better. Is it the QB or the damn WR's. I say we line up Tony Pierson in the Wildcat and have everyone else find a man and block. T.P.'s is the best Offensive weapon that the Jayhawks have. And, how many touches did he actually get tonight? Defensive side of the ball is dramatically improved. Almost reminded me of Bill Young Defense. Perhaps, S. Zenger should've hired Dave Campo as the Head Coach and he could've hired Weis to be the O.C. I'm ready for a 3 Star QB of Reesing's abilities. He can at least scramble for yards. I'll be amazed if KU gets 40,000 fans in the stands next week.

Andrew Moore 6 years, 8 months ago

Todd Reesing was Johnny Football before John Manziel was Johnny Football

Andy Smith 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm done with Heaps. I'm done with McCay. Overrated.

Andy Smith 6 years, 8 months ago

No, Heaps lost his job and McCay was never going to play.

Chayse Patrick 6 years, 8 months ago

our wide-outs are a joke who was sposed to be our strength. Heaps is a joke had many flashbacks of Crist watchin him tonite. we still suck and have a loooong way to go. 2 more wins this year???? maybe. same 'ol story we can't finish the 4th quarter. very disgusting to watch this year after year after year. tired of playing zone coverage on defense. we just ain't a good team.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 8 months ago

I was having flashbacks to Adam Barmann.

Micky Baker 6 years, 8 months ago

Or wideouts weren't supposed to be our strength, they were supposed to have been improved.

A lot of circumstances go into explaining the poor performances.

1. When Jake made good throws, they didn't catch it. Sims missed one that would have went for more than 10 yards too. Four misses.
  2. McKay isn't giving his best effort. I say bench him and bring Turzilli up to the number 1 on that side and send McKay a message. You have to play hard, and I don't think anyone would have been mad at him if he got called for PI if had prevented that INT.
  3. Mundine needs demoted.
  4. If the QB is going to have 10 seconds or even 5 or 6 seconds, you better be able to get open but it takes effort and coming back to the QB, or in some cases one breaking deep to give Heaps the chance to make a play. It is a team effort.
  5. Play calling was horrendous, especially in the second half. We didn't need anything cute, just high percentage plays that would have put our guys at an advantage over their guys with size in McKay and speed with Pierson. Their best corner can't catch Pierson.
  6. Heaps made a couple of bad decisions, but those late in the game, you don't just throw it away, but he didn't get any help from his receivers to come back to the ball to get open.
  7. Best play of the night was Parmalee's first down catch inside the five yard line.
  8. Don't use Heaps to run the run-option. If you're going to do that, direct snap it to a tailback and motion heaps out of the backfield and snap it to Pierson, Miller, or Sims and force the defense to make a decision on three guys that can make big plays.

We were driving the ball there in the 4th quarter when Weis called that dumb backwards pass play, and that killed the drive. What we were doing was working right then and if KU would have went in and scored there to make it 21-13, Then we know they have to score a TD, which they didn't do until after they had the lead 16-14.

The bright side is that if our offense can at least rise to the middle of the pack and the defense continues to get better then it could be an exciting season.

kureader 6 years, 8 months ago

I pretty much buy what you've said. We're much better this year at 5 or 6 positions, mostly on defense. Heaps has a gun for an arm ... I'm still on his team. Though, he looks to have gained 15 or 20 lbs. since the spring game a year ago. He seemed mobile then. Now, he looks sluggish and can't get out of the pocket. McCay may have speed, but I still maintain he doesn't have enough "want to". I watched Mundine's drop several times ... no explanation for it. The 2nd interception on the long throw up the sidelines was a poor pass by Heaps, but still should have been broken up by the receiver. I'm kinda down on our receiver's coach. I still like our improvement from last year. I'm not ready to abandon ship just yet. We're a half dozen key players short of competing and winning 6 or 8 games.

Cody Riedy 6 years, 8 months ago

I don't get the hate for Heaps already. Yes, he held on to the ball tonight and seemed indecisive BUT 1) no one can get open 2) no one can catch 3) Weis calls too many slow and deep passing routes 4) did I mention no one can get open or catch.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree. We don't have blazing speed to have a lot of deep routes. Take the underneath stuff and just move the ball.

texashawk10 6 years, 8 months ago

Coleman has the speed, he just doesn't know how to run routes yet. Not knowing how to run good routes is one of the two biggest issues with the passing game along with no one being able to catch.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 8 months ago

One player doesn't signify overall speed at the receiver position. All we seem to do is put him on fly patterns or deep routes, which those are nice, but the objective at times needs to be just get him the ball in opportune times and let his speed do the rest. I'd actually put him in the slot on occasion to mix up what the coverage will have to do with him. Can even put him in motion to shift the coverage and occasionally use him as a decoy.

CalBBaller 6 years, 8 months ago

I watched several football games today that were quite good and had great plays by good teams. Then I watched KU/Rice. What a boring game filled with mediocrity. Face it Hawk fans, this team is not very good. Play calling by the coaches is abysmal and there is no life on the sideline or the field. Looks like another one win season and losers of 22 of the last 24 by years end.

gorilla10 6 years, 8 months ago

How much on that? Bet you anything they win next week....

gorilla10 6 years, 8 months ago

So KU fans are crying for basketball already. How pathetic you all sound. Stick with the team for once and maybe they can continue in the proper direction. You people that won't show any support unless we win are pathetic. I hope the football players aren't anything like you weak fans....

Jim Jackson 6 years, 8 months ago

The ENTIRE stadium knew we were running it on first and second down and Charlie did not call a single play action on 1st or 2nd down the ENTIRE second half. Did he call one in the first half?? Jr high coaches have the aptitude to call play action when all you can do is run.

AWFUL play calling by Charlie; I put this on him and Mundine who is not a D1 TE; that kid is a clown. Finally, Charles Brooks gets in the game in the 4th quarter after multiple drops by Mundine.

We should have beat Rice but due to anemic offensive play calling we did not.

Great job by the defense tonight, though.

Randy Bombardier 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree. I said it before the game. If we lose it, its because of coaching, namely play calling. Weis and everyone around him has to realize that things change. Us old guys have to realize there is a new game in town and we better at least get the young assistants that get it.

Jim Jackson 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm flabbergasted as to how anemic Weis' play calling was. I just cannot comprehend how bad he was tonight. We were constantly being tackled for loss due to them stacking the box with 9 defenders and Charlie did not think to fake them out a single time with play action????

texashawk10 6 years, 8 months ago

The naked boot was there all night long for Heaps, but I don't think KU has run a single play action all season so far. I also don't remember KU doing it much last year either.

thejhawk93 6 years, 8 months ago

What the hell do you all expect? We were underdogs going into this game. We had it won, if not for a couple of bonehead mistakes. Get real folks, this is KU football. Yes, I hope that someday we can win these types of games, but what makes you think that someone flipped a light switch and we are suddenly going to win all of these games. To grow this program, we have to get a little bit better each week, and that should be our goals for now. We aren't going to win a lot of games!!! Yeah, our offense sucked tonight. Heaps looked like crap and the damn receivers couldn't catch a ball if their life depended on it. But, our defense looked great. Heeney was a stud! Quit complaining, get some realistic goals, and get off your butts and get to Memorial next weekend to help support our team and make sure we improve each week. That's all we can ask for right now folks. The sun will rise tomorrow, and we will be OK!!!!

Cody Riedy 6 years, 8 months ago

The reason people are so frustrated is exactly because this team is getting better and because we have enough talent this year that beating Rice is a realistic goal.

Chayse Patrick 6 years, 8 months ago

I saw La Tech and Tulane play the other night. La Tech is BAD. KU will win next week against La Tech but that'll be about it for this year. YAAAAAAAAWN. MaYBE 4 WINS NEXT YEAR??? Once again Weis needs to swallow his pride and play Cummings. He'll never do it cause like crist, once again heaps is his boy. At least Cummings can run. He ain't got anything to lose except 9 more games LOL!!!!

gorilla10 6 years, 8 months ago

Can someone explain to me why 75% of our fan base and babies? I know it's frustrating but come on....give them some time!

gorilla10 6 years, 8 months ago

Don't show up next week, bash the team and coaching, complain, whine, cry! It's one thing to be pissed but another to give up on this program.

Al Martin 6 years, 8 months ago

You know, bub, I've been watching this stuff for 42 years, so your garbage about loyalty to team just doesn't fly. And believe me, after 42 years of this, I can identify a bad team when I see it. This is a bad team.

Michael Maris 6 years, 8 months ago

Well, what happened to the rapid fire offense that Weis supposedly had the team practice at. Snapping the ball every 14 seconds to get the defense prepared for that style of offense. It sure appears that the Defense learned from it. But, the offensive plays were not called that way at all. Perhaps, Weis needs to take a trip to Eugene, Oregon and attend the UofO Coaching Clinics on how to run that Duck Style of Offense. Unless your Nick Saban and can recruit the NFL Caliber Players to play for you. You better learn to do it Duck Style. It sure has seemed to work for Oregon now (for quite some time). I have NO complaints about the Defensive side of the ball for KU football. They played well enough to win this game. And, if the KU offense had NOT had so many 3 and outs and an interception for a TD. Then, we fans are probably complaining about the lack of Offense. But, we would've at least had a win to talk about as well.

lama 6 years, 8 months ago

How many times did Tony Pierson touch the ball? And how many times did we throw to Jimay Mundine? Decided schematic advantage!

Michael Maris 6 years, 8 months ago

5 times is how many times Pierson touched the ball. 1 Rush for 3 yards. And, 4 catches for 90 plus yards. Course, 77 came on one great play. T.P. and James Sims are both players.

shelleysue 6 years, 8 months ago

Take a deep breath Jayhawk fans. We're headed in the right direction. Believe me. I'm as disappointed as you are. This loss was tough to take. Between an undisciplined offense and a great backfield of which half spent the game on the sidelines, I'm still scratching my head. But the defense had a great game and there are plenty of things to feel good about. I agree about the OC. Weis needs to get over it and Zenger needs to insist he hire a quality coach to help on that side of the ball. There needs to be a lot of soul searching this week from everyone working the offense. Rock Chalk!

Randy Bombardier 6 years, 8 months ago

Shellysue, not sure I agree. Direction can be a euphemism or excuse for actually getting the job done. Look at Kingsbury down at TTech. They are 3-0 in his first year and a really impressive win over TCU. Tech was middle of the pack last year. That is a really good start. "Direction" is no substitute for more wins. This was a very, very disappointing loss for a lot of people who wanted to give Weis the benefit of the doubt. I feel like I've been played. Maybe I need to stop reading the LJW propaganda.

Craig Carr 6 years, 8 months ago

Absolutely awful! Time to join the Big East where football isn't required Will not waste another minute on this garbage!! Recycled qb's, receivers who can't get open or catch and a coach who looks disinterested. We are K-State of the early 80's

jhawkjunkie 6 years, 8 months ago

After games like this, I believe that 1) Satan does exist and 2) Bill Snyder and KSU have made a deal with him. KU's history is loaded with talented players and coaches, but for whatever reasons, more times than not, haven't gotten consistent results on the field. Hold your heads up high and look forward to next week against La. Tech. RCJGKU!

JayHawkFanToo 6 years, 8 months ago

"KU's history is loaded with talented players..."

You surely must be taking basketball. KU Football has not drafted talented HS played in a long time and certainly it history is not "loaded" with them. Granted some lower ranked players had good careers but KU has not started a "talented" team in quite a while; even the Orange Bowl team was full of overachiever lead by Reesing. I believe the only 5-star players we have had in the last 30 years are Heaps and maybe Crist, and both were retreads.

Michael Maris 6 years, 8 months ago

I sure do miss David Beaty. At least Weis was smart enough to keep Reggie Mitchell. But, he was to stuck on his Notre Dame days and let David Beaty walk right into aTm arms. Oh, well. Rob Ianello might want to start attending the David Beaty WR's Coaching Clinics in the future.

Al Martin 6 years, 8 months ago

Well, attending this game in the upper deck (by choice, there was plenty of room) gave me a nice team-wide view. It’s possible that the perspective from TV was good enough for you, but hell, I sat through this humid sticky disaster, so I’m going to post.

The defense looked good overall, but the line is still a big problem. They got pushed around by Rice’s OL all game, and provided virtually no quarterback pressure. Our sacks were either coverage sacks or came from linebacker/DB blitzes. The linebackers and defensive backs are actually quite good. They have solid speed and make plays. In general, they only got beat when the Rice QB had infinite time to make a pass. It was nice to see several playmakers out there, and we weren’t constantly giving ten yard cushions to receivers (yay!). Campo has a pretty nice scheme for this group, but he sure could use a playmaker on the line.

As you all know, the offense was horrible. The OL had a very poor game. They weren’t opening holes well in the running game, and every blitz worked against them. Heaps isn’t actually that bad; I’d say he’s mediocre to serviceable. The receivers, however, are just awful. None of them can get separation, and when Heaps can find one open, they’re very prone to drops. Heaps did make some poor throws, but he made a lot of great ones, too, and wasn’t rewarded for them.

I know it’s just one game, but it’s hard for me to see where a Big 12 win comes from. The Rice OL and DL lines can’t be better than Big 12 lines, can they? And yet they handled our lines just fine.

Very uninspiring, and pretty depressing.

Craig Carr 6 years, 8 months ago

Haven't fielded a competitive or even respectable team since Mangino. Thanks Perkins and bunch of babies for running him off. Hard to believe I was in Miami just 5 years ago watching a BCS victory. This is completely unacceptable! Don't tell me to stop whining, as a 4th generation alumni I am sickened by this football program.

texashawk10 6 years, 8 months ago

Don't start about on Perkins. Perkins is the same idiot who had Jim Harbaugh ready to come to Lawrence, but Lew in all his genius told Harbaugh he couldn't coach Stanford in their bowl game so Harbaugh ended up passing on KU and Perkins gave Turner Gill $2 million a year guaranteed with no buyout clause. Lew may have done some good things for the football team while he was here, but he's also the single biggest reason why KU football is in the position they're in right now.

Kyle Seiwert 6 years, 8 months ago

This myth is still around? Jim Harbaugh coached in the Super Bowl last year. He was never coming to Lawrence.

lama 6 years, 8 months ago

Give up the Harbaugh story. He played sweet lou for a big raise at Stanford. And he was gone for the NFL in a year anyway.

6 years, 8 months ago

I finally see some of the Weis/Turner Gill comments starting to hit. Was wondering when ... maybe they've been out here for a while. Weis has really at times done a great sales job but bottom line - his on the field production isn't any better than Gill's and he supposedly has better talent - per Weis himself. Rice isn't even a mid-level team. Weis sold us on two transfer QBs ... will say Heaps is better than the one we had last year. Safe to say - another long season ... when does basketball start?

Pitthawk34 6 years, 8 months ago

Big 12 imploding, better get out sooner rather than later.

Craig Carr 6 years, 8 months ago

other than big east who would take this train wreck?

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 6 years, 8 months ago

When you throw a pass and hit the receiver on the numbers, or put it right in their hands and they drop it, there's your problem.

Kyle Seiwert 6 years, 8 months ago

I'd love to know why MT gave the special teams edge a push when Rice was the one with the awesome place kicker, and Kansas is the one that hasn't had a decent kicker in years and years.

texashawk10 6 years, 8 months ago

Because special teams is more than kicking field goals.

Christopher Hauser 6 years, 8 months ago

I agree that the play calling on the offensive side of the ball was troubling to say the least but the guys on the field still have to sack up and make some plays. If nobody is wiling to step up then it is going to be a long season. Slow developing pass plays (long routes) are drive killers for this team, have to get the athletes in space on quick pass plays and let them at least try to make someone miss. Running the same receiver screen time after time is easy to read for a defense. I would be surprised if we ran more than 20 different plays tonight on offense and for some reason HCCW kept going to a dry well. Defense was behind the 8 ball all game due to the offense but dbacks made some good plays and Heeney was a beast as usual. DB made a great read on the Rice quarterback and left his under route responsibility for the pick which showed great football I.Q. on his part. Recievers and tight end (you know who you are), take the gloves off, I hated wearing gloves, couldn't feel the football. Just some random thoughts, can't say I am surprised unfortunately.

Kyle Seiwert 6 years, 8 months ago

I will say, La. Tech is horrific this season now that their coach and good players are gone. Kansas should win next week at home. Rice was a 6.5 point favorite tonight for a reason....they are the better team. Now, if Kansa loses next week to a flat out reeling La. Tech, then it would be time to panic, because a 3 win season goes right out the window.

Pitthawk34 6 years, 8 months ago

Playoffs...Playoffs...don't talk about 3 wins...I would just like to win another game.

Brian Skelly 6 years, 8 months ago

The thing ive said all along is that Weis has made me at least pay attention to KU football. He's a great salesman, and is great with the press. My assumption is that philosophically he's a smart football man. But even at his hiring press conference, the thing that I couldnt get out of my head -- and still cant -- is can this guy actually be a head coach? This guy has ridden the arm and awesomeness of Tom Brady to multiple gigs he likely wasnt suited for.

His candor plays well here in the midwest. But when do we wonder if he's suited to coach at KU of all places? If you cant coach here, where can you coach? And what jobs would you warrant consideration for otherwise?

We cant beat a mediocre-at-best CUSA team? Are we even going to be favored against LA Tech? Seeing a Big 12 win, even as 'down' as it seems this year seems unlikely. Maybe we'll pick up a flukey one here or there.

Yuck.

Curtis Stutz 6 years, 8 months ago

1) Weis has done one really big thing right. He hired Campo. Campo has been great, what an amazing difference.

2) Unfortunately Weis has been really bad so far on "his" side of the ball. I don't blame the OC, I blame Weis for the offensive woes. He just continues to want to be too reliant on the QB.

I think Heaps could be good enough to lead this offense, I think Weis is good enough to be a winning coach in the Big12, I just think the staff needs to wise-up offensively and get the ball out of the QB's hands as quickly and often as possible. Heaps is capable of making some nice throws, the backs are capable of taking on most of the work load, the defense is capable of making stops. Put it all together.

For the people that don't think we should/can expect to win more than 2 games this year, KU's SOS will be dramatically lower this year than the last 2. The Big12 is down. Other than OU, OSU and probably BU there isn't a game on KU's schedule they can't win. TTech, ISU, KSU, TCU, WVU, Texas are nothing special. The reason this one stings is 'cause KU had a great chance to get a road win and losing it almost completely eliminates KU's chances of going 6-6. Basically they have to win every game they have a shot in from here on out. Were their chances good even with a W against Rice? No. But now they're practically 0. With a win, maybe a 10% chance at going to a bowl game. With the loss, maybe a 1% chance.

JayhawkRock78 6 years, 8 months ago

I was there too, close to the action. We had a great ku crowd backing our team.

I was impressed with our defense against Rice considering they gave A&M a good game for a while. That being said we had little pressure, very little pressure on the rice QB. But then again he released it fast when our QB held the ball too long numerous times. It doesn't look like he has any speed so he should throw it OB after he checks off 2 or 3 because he can't scramble. Our receivers have GOT TO MAKE CATCHES!!!!

Our running game was hit or miss. Both teams had 300 pounders on both sides of the line. Rice has a good team this year, but I am concerned how our line will handle a better programs.

Anyway I enjoyed being with a good KU crowd cheering on the team. And the Rice fans were cool. RCJH!!! Lets get this program back on track.

Curtis Stutz 6 years, 8 months ago

From the posts I've read I don't think people realize that Rice won a bowl game last year (33-14 over AF in the Bell Helicoptor) and put up 6yrds/carry rushing against Texas A&M. This is not a bad Rice team. As far as I know they brought a lot of these guys back from last year.

Jack Jones 6 years, 8 months ago

Observations ~ from Buffalo Wild Wings ~ Prescott, AZ ~~ Defense ~ pretty good, except we didn't defend the option well enough. Heeny is All-Big 12. Pass defense very good ~ big improvement. Offense ~ Running game? What running game?
Passing game? Receivers who can't catch the ball. QB ~ needs receivers who can get open and catch ~ a couple of questionable throwing decisions, but every QB has those. Play calling? Didn't understand many of the first half calls at all. Overall ~ a game we should have won ~ doesn't bode well for Big 12 games. Coaching ~ Still believe Weis is the guy for the long-range rebuilding job. Players simply must make plays. JayhawkInAustin had an excellent in-person analysis of the game. As for the immature idiots who engaged in the pissing contest on this site ~ GROW THE HELL UP!!

Al Martin 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh, and let's give a little love to Reuben_J_Cogburn. Reuben got smacked around on these boards pretty hard the last couple of days for saying that he saw little to no progress on the defensive line and feared for the offensive line.

Good call, Reuben!