Back to game coverage

W. Kentucky at Kansas coverage

Kansas defeats Western Kentucky, 64-57

• 8:50 p.m., March 22, 2013
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

FINAL: KU slugs out 64-57 win over Western Kentucky

By Matt Tait.

In many ways Friday night's 64-57 victory by top-seeded Kansas University over Western Kentucky was an extension of the NCAA Tournament games the Jayhawks won last season.

Grind, grind, grind and hang on.

That's what the Jayhawks did on Friday, after trailing by a point at the half, to advance to Sunday's third round.

Led by senior center Jeff Withey's 17 points, six rebounds and seven blocks, the Jayhawks (30-5) took WKU's best shot and still managed to come out on top. The game was anything but comfortable for the de facto home team much of the way.

The Jayhawks struggled on offense throughout much of the first half and looked vulnerable on the boards and on defense. When Withey wasn't scoring at the rim or the free throw line, senior Kevin Young did his best to bring the sluggish Jayhawks energy.

Young finished with five points and eight rebounds.

It was far from pretty, but at this time of the year, it doesn't have to be. KU moves on and avoids the awful distinction of being the first No. 1 to lose to a 16 seed. It was never really close to coming to that, but the way KU played, it certainly could have.

The Jayhawks were 0-for-6 from three, marking the first time they failed to hit a three since a Feb. 9, 2008 home win against Baylor (100-90).

Here’s a quick look back at some of Friday night's action:

The game turned when: Western Kentucky began shooting in the second half. After shooting 48.1 percent in the first half (13-of-27), the Hilltoppers opened the second half just 4-of-29, a clip that slowly allowed the Jayhawks to gain control. WKU finished the game 21-of-67 shooting, good for 31 percent.

Offensive highlight: With the Jayhawks trailing early in the second half and still struggling on offense, Kevin Young rebounded his missed jumper from the free throw line and found himself wide open under the rim. Rather than laying it up and taking the two points, Young elected to go with the reverse slam, a move that put KU up 32-31 at the 17:55 mark and ignited the Sprint Center crowd. On the next possession, KU got a lob in transition from Ben McLemore to Travis Releford and the Jayhawks opened up their largest lead of the game to that point while Western Kentucky called a timeout.

Defensive highlight: This one's a bit odd, but it may have been one of the biggest plays of the game. At 18:19 in the second half, with WKU still leading, the Jayhawks defense stiffened and forced a shot-clock violation. That alone gave the fans something to cheer about and 15 minutes later, KU added to it by opening up a 10-point lead.

Key stat: Jeff Withey finished with seven blocks and four fouls. If one of those blocks goes a different way, the outcome of this one could have been very different. Just a great game by Withey.

Up next: The victory moved the top-seeded Jayhawks advanced to the third round of this year's NCAA Tournament and they will face No. 8 seed North Carolina on Sunday at Sprint Center. Game time will be 4:15 p.m. CT on CBS.

Box score

Comments

Jace FitzGibbon 8 years, 1 month ago

if we play like that sunday we lose by 20+

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely not. It's all about strategy. Self was really playing Sunday's game tonight. Yes....we made some mistakes........but he knows what he's doing

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

Any of you naysayers and doom & gloom people want to apologize now?

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

kenneth, they of little faith and nail biting. :-)

You said it so well above.

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

Jaybate......people need to listen to you......

Rock Chalk 8 years, 1 month ago

We were staying positive, knowing it would be a win!

Steve Gantz 8 years, 1 month ago

Ugly doesn't help you in beauty contests, dog shows, or art fairs, but on the court it's still just a win. Let's get 5 more and this will be a distant memory.

brooksmd 8 years, 1 month ago

In response to your comment about odds are Michigan beats VCU, odds were Georgetown beats FGCU who's only been playing D1 6 years. In fact I think they said they've only played bb for 6 years.

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

Frankly, after seeing Andy Enfield and his FGCU team, whomever has to play them next better be damn careful.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

Actually, KY and BMac lead with 4 each.

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

EJ the 'joke" is going to win KU a national title......I wonder what you will call him then.

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes, kenneth, it is the darnedest thing how these joke type point guards keep winning 30 games a season.

And isn't it remarkable that a joke point guard can go off for 39? :-)

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

Exactly right. You would think at this time of year they would get behind him and all our guys.

FarSideHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

We won't win without EJ. He will get us through this tournament. Just watch.

jaycon11 8 years, 1 month ago

can some hardcore jayhawks fan please get jesse a better seat for sunday?

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

Again, hopefully we got rid of the funk and play "relaxed" from here on out.

brooksmd 8 years, 1 month ago

I like Charles Barkley. "Good thing Williams got 700 tonight because he wouldn't get it Sunday."

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

Was surprised...thought he was going to throw us under the bus after THAT performance.

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes, Charles is now turrrrible good.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm going to venture a guess that we will have to hit a couple of threes to beat UNC.

Mark Hopkins 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes would be nice to have a steady PG for a change.

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

Yea, these point guards that can only win 30 games suck. :-)

Count your blessings.

We are most fortunate with our point guards.

bwag 8 years, 1 month ago

VCU will, if they beat MI, eat our lunch I'm afraid.

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

I really don't think so.

We have had so much experience against 4 dwarf teams and Self knows the cardinal rule of slicing the pressure defense. And we are in such good shape.

And of course our players are more talented.

So when you break it down, Shaka is masking lacks of size and talent with kamikazi pressure defense.

Mike Andersons teams did this.

Frank Haith's teams did this.

The staff and the seniors have seen this before.

What Shaka's team's have not seen is a defense as good as ours at sucking the oxygen out of the middle and a team as talented as ours that is in as good of shape as they are.

If we get to VCU, I'm pretty sure we'll get them.

Heck, if we have to we'll have Travis bring it up.

And Self might even borrow a trick from Wooden and have his center bring it up some.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

Only ones that can't shoot and turn the ball over.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 1 month ago

like all the lovers of Phil Pressey.. they say how great he is.. will take EJ any day.. first round exit for MU again... EJ looks strong more than he looks bad .. we just notice the mistakes... I would not trade him for anyone .. THANKS for giving us all you have EJ

Mark Hopkins 8 years, 1 month ago

Hopefully now we can settle in for a long run.

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

Notice that KU won the game while shooting 0-6 from trey? :-)

Notice WKU only shot 15% from trey and 30 something overall.

This is a dream first game.

You get your lousy trey shooting game out of the way and win; then you're ready to rip.

Rock Chalk!!!!

FarSideHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

The way they played tonight has no indication of how they will play from here on out. We'll see a very different team on Sunday.

This team has a 4 seniors with the most NCAA wins experience than anyone in the tourney! They know how to win. Ugly or Pretty doesn't matter.

Something tells me Ben will come out firing on Sunday!

Also, I think Michigan will beat VCU, because it has the guards to handle their pressure. At least I hope they do. I'd rather play Michigan than VCU.

Rock Chalk!

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes. Remember 2002? KU destroyed Stanford in 2nd game.

Exactly.

Fans are so uneasy.

IF KU had blown them out, I would be hand wringing about wasting a great performance on a 16 seed.

Seriously, it would have been nice to separate by 15 with 5 to go, but it didn't happen.

Harper is too good of a coach to let that happen.

Bring me the head of Roy Williams.

Let's go get them, guys.

Time for the Boa Constrictor defense to suck the air out of the Tar Heels.

jaycon11 8 years, 1 month ago

when i see ej in games like this, it reminds me that, as a chicago cubs fan, i have seen countless guys over the yrs try to overachieve and often fall into the trap of dumb mistakes that they would never have initiated had they never placed such weight on themselves to do more than they were physically capable at any given time. ej feels the need to live up to his recent competitors, like sc and tt, and it leads him to make bad decisions. i wish he learned to play within his natural limitations and allow the flow of the game to be dictated by his abilities at any given time.

MrPilot 8 years, 1 month ago

Whew! Rock Chalk Jayhawk on win number 30 on the season and 2,100 overall!

First D1 school to 4 straight 30+ win seasons.

Kirkwood 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm sorry to say this,,, but I think EJ has Phil Pressey disorder.

justinryman 8 years, 1 month ago

You should be banned for life on the site for that comment!!!!

justinryman 8 years, 1 month ago

Get a grip!!!!!!!!

KU had to come from behind vs Purdue last year, Ohio State too.

NO worries, one game does not make a tournament.

Unless you are the Big12 COY the past two years.

FarSideHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Yes, people forget that we were one bad bounce away from an early exit last year. Although, that group of guys would be just the same, our memory and regard for their greatness would have gone; which is unfortunate.

This team has sacrificed so much over the years and won so many games as Jayhawks, that their effort and heart should never be questioned.

We need to believe they will win every game just as much as they do!

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

Man, we got out-rebounded, out-stolen, out-turnovered and still won.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

...did manage a nice 80 percent from the charity stripe though.

FLJHK 8 years, 1 month ago

Why do broadcasters continually dwell on KU's NCAA losses? I don't hear that with Duke, Syracuse, Georgetown and others with many similar early losses over the years. Why don't the gutty performances like last year's run, the 2008 championship or Self's overall stellar NCAA record get more mention?

My hypothesis is this.

They consistently underhype KU's successes and overhype KU's failures so as to create unrealistically low expectations regarding KU among the betting public in the high population regions. This leads to a huge amount of losers. How exactly this benefits certain persons is none of my business. :-)

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

I heard multiple times today watching the Duke game the announcers and studio analysts reference the Leihigh loss. And the studio guys didn't bring up specific games, but did in fact say that JT3's M.O. is early tourney exits.

It just seems worse because we remember (and still ache over) all of our losses.

ict,

Part 1

First of all, you may well be right.

Second, I've been tracking ESPN headlines on their site anecdotally for five years now and I observe a trend (rightly or wrongly) that I would love someone to do a content analysis of comparing Duke and KU head lines. I would also like them to do a UK and KU content analysis. Anecdotally, I am suspect that the headlines would confirm the trend versus Duke andand UK and UNC and whichever Big East and Big Ten Top Ten program you would pick. I don't know why this would be happening. I can only hypothesize on this also.

Third, John Thompson 2.0 appeared join up with the "right way" avant garde of coaches including Coach K, Self, Donovan, Barnes, Norm Roberts (when at St. Johns) and some others apparently trying to challenge the ShoeCo-Summer Game-Agency complex's apparent valving of talent to those that play ball with them. Cal, Matta, Drew and Stumpy Miller might be hypothetical examples in my hypothesis of those that have not appeared to join up; i.e., their recruiting has flourished by not joining up. The cost of joining up in my hypothesis can be adverse publicity and losing top recruits to programs lead by coaches that have not appeared to join up.

Thompson 2.0 has not apparently cornered lots of 5-star prospects for quite some time, certainly not with the frequency of say, UK, Arizona. His team was upset in large part yesterday, because they lacked even the normal complement of good shooters that a team needs to go very far in the tournament. And they also lacked a dominant big man. They just had a whole lot of middling muscle men. I don't think John Thompson 2.0 is getting the love from the media and from talent valvers that he once did, and that his father consistently got. Make of that what you will.

Regardless, ict, I am very glad you are taking the position you are taking, because it is has on its side the very rational premise that board rats can see the world through biasing lenses of allegiance to their teams. This has to be part of the equation. We all do have bias. Even those that hold the bias of the conventional hypothesis that bias is driving the phenomenon entirely. I used to think that that fan bias largely explained the difference in my perception of press coverage for KU vs. other major programs, and in terms of KU's failure to sign top talent, i.e., it only seemed to be happening because of my bias for KU.

But the recruiting asymmetries observed have gone on so long now that it just no longer seems credible.

And this seems to feed into, or perhaps more accurately, interact with hypothesized asymmetries in coverage over time.

This could be a form of multicollinearity, so to speak. Or it could be two reinforcing systems of bias triggering tendencies of observable outcomes, right?

Part 2

And the asymmetries in coverage now seem (anecdotally to me, anyway) to track closely with media and betting market size on the one hand, and to lesser degree with "right way" vs. "wrong way" allegiances, that I have had to go searching for a more fitting hypothesis than what I now call the "blaming the victim" hypothesis that we are all so biased that we victims are making this all up in our heads.

This does not mean that my hypothesis is necessarily more accurate than the traditional "blame the bias of the fan" hypothesis. But by positing it, it at least allows observers to begin to consider facts in terms of it and so look more objectively at the conventional wisdom hypothese of "blame the bias of the fan."

"Blaming the bias of the fan" has always seemed a questionable hypothesis for the simple reason that I see the same kind of bias in over reporting and under reporting with teams I have no allegiance to.

So, we do not disagree so much as we have posited two different hypotheses for a situation. You hypothesize fan bias alone explains it all. I hypothesize something different. Now, we and others can weigh ongoing experience and see where the evidence begins to accumulate.

You have to explain why:

a) a vast media gaming complex would necessarily refrain from systematically creating suckers via overhyping and under hyping in a way that is not apparently illegal to do; and

b) why my observer bias would cause me to perceive the biases I do even against other teams that I am not loyal to.

I have to explain why a much simpler explanation of transcendant fan bias cannot sufficiently explain the phenomenon, or put another way, recognizes that the phenomenon is non existent.

I am comfortable exploring this issue without resolution yet.

It seems a healthy thing to do.

brooksmd 8 years, 1 month ago

You're right. 2008 KU was an after thought in all the discussions during the FF.

Brian Stoops 8 years, 1 month ago

Typical first round labored win - so I spent most of the game watching Withey.

This guy is nearly unrecognizable even just from last year.

Manning got a ton of credit for his development of our bigs, and rightfully so. Perhaps it's time for Coach Roberts to get some kudos.

Perry Ellis has turned the corner. He's not all the way there yet but the man can score and rebound. Really love to see this - I've got a special place in my heart for the quiet introverted folks.

North Carolina should bring out the best in BMAC. I don't really worry about him.

Sunday fun day. rock chalk

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

Good for you Stoops. I feel exactly the same way about the job Coach Roberts has done.

Mark Hopkins 8 years, 1 month ago

The Big 12 lives to fight another day. Feel bad for KSU, But the higher seed always has a target on their back. KU almost always plays with that kind of pressure. ISU will hopefully make a nice run.

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

Why do I have the feeling that the same "fans" here that are spewing hate at EJ are the exact same ones that sing his praises when he plays well.......and were loving him last year when he was making clutch shots in the tournement.

Christopher Hauser 8 years, 1 month ago

FLJHK- Because there is nothing better than East Coast basketball, didn't you know?

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Gotta love the optimists' "a win is a win" outlook. Wish I had it.

Look, kennethst wants an apology for people panicking. Not gonna get it. We are Kansas. Regardless of seed, we should have blown that team out of the gym. Did they psyche themselves into a funk, playing not to lose, not to be the first #1 seed to lose to a #16? Perhaps. But the lack of focus and abundance of mental mistakes was staggering. Was TCU not enough of a wake-up call? Did watching Gonzaga almost get beat not clue these guys in? Harvard yesterday? FGCU today?

The problem is struggling through a game like that can't give anybody much confidence moving forward. We saw it during our mid-season slump. We were squeaking by team after team. The ostrich fans - you know, the ones who bury their head in the sand - just kept saying things like "we're 18-1, we're 20-1". Then we got our backsides handed to us - three straight times. Then we busted out of it and those fans were shouting "SEE?!? The sky is not falling!". No one is saying it is. But forgive some of us fans for not partying on Mass St. after limping by Western Kentucky.

justinryman 8 years, 1 month ago

Gotta remember WKU was an 8 seed last year and lost the KY in the 2nd round.

They were a nightmare matchup for KU small-ball.

texashawk10 8 years, 1 month ago

WKU was a 16 seed that needed a miracle comeback to win a play in game last year.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

Yeah, but why let the facts get in the way of a very poor argument to begin with? :)

justinryman 8 years, 1 month ago

Sorry I miss read an article about WKU last year it said they lost to KY in the 2nd round, so I assumed they were an 8/9 seed. But the second round now is the rnd of 64 so I got confused.

Cause I know nobody here is perfect nor even close to it.

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

Nobody said anything about having a party, did they? Certainly not me. But then again.....I don't think we need to forfeit the next game either. Did you ever stop and think that maybe WKU is a really good team......and KU was not going to win by 30? Or that Self has a strategy to get the team through the weekend? No? Maybe you should. I like you Ict and your posts......but I completely disagree.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

The party thing is hyperbole, based on how fans that are frustrated are being chastised.

What I did stop to think about is that KU is a really good team, and that no, Western Kentucky is not in our class. Seeding matters.

As for the belief that Self has a strategy to get us through the weekend, I have no doubt that he does. However, that strategy most certainly doesn't involve ignoring Western Kentucky completely. The team hasn't been watching tape on UNC AND Villanova prior to tonight's game I can guarantee you. In 2008 Self said that they watched more tape of Portland St. than any other team all year. My guess is the strategy wasn't to sandbag past the first game. To scare the crap out of the team and shake their confidence. Did you see Self during the game? He was furious. No, tonight did not go according to plan or "strategy". I'm curious what you think the strategy is...

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

I agree that mistakes were made. Plans go out the window when the game starts. As for the strategy.....simple......hold. Yep.....hold. As in......hold back....conserve the energy......don't show the plays.....He's saving his ammo for UNC....and beyond. There is method to his madness. He's a master.

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

That strategy is fine, if that was the strategy. You know what would be a good way to conserve the energy? Get a lead and let the bench play some. Instead we played 4 starters 30+ minutes. Way to conserve.

As for not showing the plays, Self isn't a guy who runs a lot of set plays anyway. After 35 games (plus all the film from seasons prior), there isn't a lot in the bag that we are going to surprise opponents with.

Sorry, the "hold" strategy failed in the conserve energy department, and doesn't really hold up in the "plays/ammo" department.

texashawk10 8 years, 1 month ago

WKU is not a good team. They went .500 in a crappy league for a reason and KU absolutely should've handled them by 20+ points tonight.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

You would not make a good reporter, sir. The public does not like to hear the truth.

edinajayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Liked: That Coach Self probably told them to stop shooting 3s when after they were 0-6. Very smart! Dislikes: Cross-court passes should be FORBIDDEN when there is less than 5 minutes left in the games and we are are ahead. The other team will play aggressive and take chances which are too hard to anticipate. Stop it Elijah!

Jack Wilson 8 years, 1 month ago

This is one of those situations where I'll sleep before I make any substantive comments.

God bless all of you optimists.

My bracket has KU losing to UNC .. the small lineup thing.

I have Michigan as my champ. And of course, I've been preaching that to win the tourney, you better be a one seed. I kind of latched onto Michigan in December. But they have a zone D coach trying to play man.

Can I toss out a scary thought? We win, VCU beats Michigan. How do we handle their 40 minutes of hell?

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

We will be NO match for VCU's pressure.

jaybate 8 years, 1 month ago

We will take their pressure, wrap it around their necks and hang them by it.

Self has only lost to pressure defense once in all his years at KU. A first game against MU, when, as the late 100 said, KU and Self forgot the cardinal rule of handling pressure defense. Slice the seams.

We will slice the seams and they will die.

Period.

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

Why is everyone so scared of VCU??? Self will have plenty of time to prepare.....plus it may be Michigan.

texashawk10 8 years, 1 month ago

It might have something to do with VCU's pressure combined with EJ and Naadir's tendencies to make poor passes when pressured along with McLemore's stone hands. Those are not problems that can be fixed at this point in the season and they keep showing up in nearly every game this season. That's why KU fans should be very nervous about VCU. It has nothing to do with two years ago and everything to do with this years VCU team being more than capable of exploiting this years KU team's biggest weakness.

justinryman 8 years, 1 month ago

I hear ya, if KU beats UNC they get more small ball. That scares me. Need traditional offenses to make a run. UNC small, VCU small and quick, Michigan is mostly small.

I was hoping if KU made Elite 8 they would get G'Town cause they try to play in the post.

FarSideHawk 8 years, 1 month ago

That's what would worry me the most. I'd rather play Michigan, after we beat UNC of course.

The team is what it is; it's not going to change at this point. I'm counting on experience (especially tourney experience) to be a factor in our favor. I know that they are capable of high-level basketball and I'm hoping that as they play the better teams, they will play at a higher level.

OMG!

If we are fortunate enough to get to play Michigan, we should win handily, because Self figured out quite some time ago how to beat the Princeton offense in his sleep.

Next, I never bet against Bill Self the second time he faces a guy who beat him in a big game the first time...except for Ratso Izzo.

VCU's entire mojo depends on being in better shape than the other team.

Our team has gone into double OT without cracking this season.

Our starters play huge minutes.

Our guys are in tip top condition.

OUr players are more talented than their players.

Our players are in as good of condition this time around.

Self almost always figures out guys the second time around.

I see us beating Shaka and VCU almost certainly.

Miami and Louisville pose the real problems.

And then there is always Ratso Izzo lurking about--the only coach that really does seem to have Self's number.

Still, Miami is the team I have been worrying about the most all season, despite so many telling me early that they were going to come apart. Wrong.

I do agree that UNC could be a tough game, but UNC will have to shoot a very high percentage and our team will have to continue its poor trey shooting of late for UNC to have a prayer of beating us.

Self has seen so many of the 4 dwarf offenses this season, he and the team are now comfortable playing them.

Kirkwood 8 years, 1 month ago

As a KU senior both PRAISE and CRITICISM are earned.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 1 month ago

Considering our typical size advantage down low, I'm shocked at how infrequent our guards notice it.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 1 month ago

Really? I thought we got it inside quite frequently in this game. We didn't try a lot of 3's or even long 2's. The problem was that the jumpers we did shoot just would not fall, and the passing was very sloppy.

fansincewilt 8 years, 1 month ago

Did we just win a game without hitting one single outside shot? JW hit one at about 14'. Is that our only shot from farther away that 10'?

fansincewilt 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't think we hit anything outside even inside the arc.

justinryman 8 years, 1 month ago

Lets not get ahead of ourselves looking at VCU.

KU has to win, and so do they.

If KU wins Sunday they will have 5 days to prepare for who ever they play. That is a lot of time for Coach Self and staff to come up with plan.

Again both teams have to win come Sunday.

vsb 8 years, 1 month ago

Now you know how Gonzaga felt in their game. The only difference? The #16 team DIDN'T MISS all their shots during the second half. They hit almost every 3 pointer except for the last few at the end of the game. Everyone's 'doggin' the Zags for such a close game against a #16 team, saying the Zags basically suck and never should be seeded so high. Welcome aboard, Kansas. Things like this happen in the NCAA tournament. Thank you, Kansas, for almost losing as well. It will take the heat off the Zags.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 1 month ago

No disrespect to the 'Zags, but they don't play defense like Kansas does.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 1 month ago

would love to play your Zags... think Iowa State will take them out ... Zags better watch out for another Kansas team first WSU...

Dale Kroening 8 years, 1 month ago

Too much negativity. No we didnt play well, and played tight, but its survive and advance. We are not going to blow everybody out. All you whiners find another team to root for then ! We didnt play well and still won, be happy ! Look at Georgtown, who many of the experts were picking to come out of the south. We won, thats all that matters. Another 30 win season, on to UNC............RCJHGKU!!!!!!!

Kye Clark 8 years, 1 month ago

"all you whiners go find another team to root for"

kennethst - this is the type of attitude that drives me up the wall. The if we're not rejoicing over tonight's victory we aren't true fans attitude. (wait, you'll see that soon enough. The post where someone says "the so-called 'fans' "..., ugh).

Honestly, I would have happily let the glass is half full crowd bask in their optimism with nothing but silence from me. It's when anybody expresses frustration over tonight's performance they are ridiculed for it that I get annoyed. If someone comes away from tonight's game feeling just as good about our chances, more power to them. However, no amount of faith-forcing from the zealots will convince me the way we played tonight was a good thing moving forward.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 1 month ago

Well, the way Withey played tonight was a good thing moving forward. I don't know about the rest of it.

Ashwin Rao 8 years, 1 month ago

One thing funny is with all the upsets being highlighted, the top 4 seeds are still there (except for West), so all the commotion is in the lower ranks, which is expected.

ollerfarm 8 years, 1 month ago

Maybe you-all missed it, but I saw Jeff W bury a 17 footer from the keyhole. Ellis scored 9 points and got 6 rebounds and NO turnovers in 12 minutes. How much more if he plays 20-25 minutes? Jeff was the MAN tonight though.

jaycon11 8 years, 1 month ago

they don't ask 'how,' they ask 'how many?'

hawkmoon2020 8 years, 1 month ago

Not sure how many "teachable moments" our Hawks need in one season, but a W is the bottom line, and they got the W. I'm looking forward to a huge improvement on Sun., and taming the Tarheels for the 3rd straight time. Hard to believe (and see) our IQ level drop to 16 when breaking the press. Dribble into the double team, and try to pass it out vs. "attacking" the press by passing. Good luck, Hawks. Practice well.

Kyle Sybesma 8 years, 1 month ago

Someday a 16 WILL beat a 1. I had a bad feeling all day that it would be WKU.

kennethst 8 years, 1 month ago

So many seem scared of VCU......Why??? VCU should be scared of KU......terrified is a better word.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 1 month ago

We want VCU nice and arrogant. That way EJ, Rel and Jeff all avenge that 2011 team that they were on. VCU shouldn't be scared but they shouldn't feel good.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 1 month ago

The bad: Every aspect but Jeff on defense

The Good: Saving all of our shots for Sunday.

JayHawkFanToo 8 years, 1 month ago

Come on guys, did anyone thought this was going to be an easy game? I did not.
First, teams like WKU with as small, athletic lineup and a big guy that likes to play on the outside and shoot 3s has always been a problem for KU.
Second, WKU had zero pressure because it had nothing to lose and everything to gain. KU on the other hand had the pressure of playing a team that is match up nightmare, and the additional pressure of not being the first #1 seed to loose to a #16 seed. All in all a bad combination.
The next game should be a lot different. KU is familiar with UNC and has beaten better UNC teams in both 2008 and last year. Also, losing to UNC does not carry the stigma that losing to a #16 seed does; KU will be a lot more relaxed and will win handily.
Good things I noticed were Perry Ellis still playing well and now he knows he what he can do and does not need to be tentative. The other huge positive was the great free throw shooting, particularly down the stretch; this used to be KU's Achilles heel and now is a big advantage. All in all a frustrating but in the end rewarding experience. My new big screen survived with nary a scratch, so all is good.

fiala 8 years, 1 month ago

I'm wondering if McLemore has played his final game for KU. He certainly wasn't around for Friday night's win over W. Kentucky and he was missing for most of the Big 12 Tournament. He might as well declare himself for the NBA draft and get an agent now so that Jayhawk fans can stop wondering if he'll ever step up in a game that's not at Allen Fieldhouse.

hawk_of_ages 8 years, 1 month ago

Actually we can stop wondering right now, since he's had multiple big games away from the Phog, including at Ohio State and vs. Texas Tech at Sprint. And he still managed double figures tonight, which is not bad given what a low-scoring slugfest it was.

Ashwin Rao 8 years, 1 month ago

He has difficulties with his game with defense on him. I am quite sure he will do well against UNC.

nostradavid 8 years, 1 month ago

After all the upsets already, that was a tough game to relax & enjoy.

It was good to see Kevin follow his bad shot in for the dunk. That should be the standard follow through, instead of standing still to admire the shot. I was surprised that Ben and Kevin only had 4 turnovers each - it seemed like more. It was funny to see Ben going to sit on the bench at the end of the TO after his last one. He seemed surprised that Bill was leaving him in. We need his free-throw shooting at the end of a game.

Perry has had the best points per minute stat for awhile now. He needs to be on the floor more.

Kick butt Sunday! Rock Chalk Jayhawks!

Wake me up Sunday...

Wake me up Sunday... by nostradavid

manginodrh00lz 8 years, 1 month ago

Looks like the selection committee forgot to put a "0" to the right of that "1" when they seeded ku. You won't need to make plans around the ku game next weekend.