Back to game coverage

Kansas at Okla. St. coverage

Kansas defeats Oklahoma State, 68-67

• 8 p.m., Feb. 20, 2013
  • Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater, OK

FINAL: Naadir Tharpe's floater saves KU in 68-67 double-OT win over Oklahoma State

Naadir Tharpe hit a floater with 18 seconds left in double-overtime to give Kansas a one-point lead, and Oklahoma State guard Markel Brown missed a 19-footer with 10 seconds left before Travis Releford tipped the ball forward to run out the time in KU's 68-67 double-overtime victory over OSU on Wednesday night at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Okla.

Tharpe's jumper was KU's only field goal made in the two overtimes.

Travis Releford led KU with 18 points on 7-for-10 shooting, while Jeff Withey added 17 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks.

KU (22-4, 10-3 Big 12) moves into a tie for first place in the Big 12 with Kansas State.

The Jayhawks will play host to the TCU Horned Frogs at 3 p.m. Saturday.

Box score

Comments

bwag 1 year, 6 months ago

Time to dig in and work on installing our half court offense. We might need it from here on out.

LittleRockJayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

OSU played “All I Do Is Win” with 3:48 left in regulation, again with 28.7 seconds left in regulation, and again with 1:54 left in 2OT. Just to be clear OSU, winning is not all you do. Rock Chalk!

John Randall 1 year, 6 months ago

Someone tweeted, "Thank god I changed shirts!"

My reaction: :Thank god I didn't.

sarcastichawk 1 year, 6 months ago

I played Ruzzle the entire game to ensure the win

Woody Cragg 1 year, 6 months ago

Glad Nadir was able to redeme himself cause he played like krap most of the game.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

That's overstating the case a bit. His two alley-oops to Withey were among the biggest plays of the first half.

johninkc1 1 year, 6 months ago

FINALLY, WE GET SOME GOOD FORTUNE! ROCK CHALK! I think the refs need to attend class.

Marvin Blackburn 1 year, 6 months ago

I think games like this teach teams alot about each other. Im starting to sense a new attitude and confidence with this team .

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

1-11 from 3-point range...how in the hell did we win???

jessejayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

cause we scored one more point than OSU. Works every time

phins13td 1 year, 6 months ago

And one clutch shot from Tharpe.

Sam Constance 1 year, 6 months ago

70% of the time it works everytime. They've done studies.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

You could ask the same question about our wins vs. Purdue and NC State in last year's tourney.

Jeff Soisson 1 year, 6 months ago

K-State, sorry you all watched this for 3 hours and now know, another Big XII's championship for KU! Such composure and confidence. Well Done!

phins13td 1 year, 6 months ago

EJ is playing on flat tires. He wasn't even close on those FT's when it mattered. Withey and Releford were huge tonight.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

He did play markedly better...5-9 FGs...a number of clutch driving layups.

phins13td 1 year, 6 months ago

All be it playing against a guy on one leg, so he gets half credit. Not the EJ of last season, not even close.

Eric Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

The EJ of last season was a shooting guard who had one of KU's best playmakers in years helping him out...

phins13td 1 year, 6 months ago

Taylor was no Aaron Miles or Jacque Vaughn but he was pretty decent.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Depends on your criteria. Tyshawn took a lot longer to find his groove than Miles or Vaughn and was not a "pure" PG as they were, but on the other hand, neither of those guys was the unquestioned leader of a Final Four team.

niemoth 1 year, 6 months ago

those free throws were the farthest shot he attempted all night. He still doesn't have confidence with his jump shot, hopefully he finds that against TCU where we won't be so scared to take a 3. Seemed like no one wanted to be the one to miss a 3

MimiHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Did you see Travis' last play... That was Travis walkin' off the court in STYLE !!!

kcmojayhawker 1 year, 6 months ago

No doubt the officiating was questionable, seemed like OSU got some breaks until the very end. This is just a thin KU team, 60 points from the starters and 8 from the bench.Ellis may need to red-shirt next year, especially if Randle comes here. The seniors won this one!

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Traylor was very good, though.

MimiHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

KY's shiver on Smart... what an awesome play

WindmillGIANT 1 year, 6 months ago

Smart had a bad shooting night too; he was only 2-14, the difference is though he was 11-14 from the FT line and BMAC was 0-0. BMac's potential is looking like a Ray Allen type spot shooter; but with his athleticism, he could be a more attacking 2-guard if he developed his ball-handling skills.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

Bardo said the same thing. Also, passed up some shots...can be too unselfish.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 6 months ago

Absolutely spot on JD

The best player on our team repeatedly passed up opps to take over but has no "take em" game.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

In fairness, Ben got fouled on drives into the lane at least twice early in the game with no call. If he had been able to get to the line a couple of times, he would have had another double-digit game, and maybe the boost in confidence would have helped him have a better second half than he did.

Eric Baker 1 year, 6 months ago

How many shots outside of the paint did we make? One? Just the three from Ben?

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

Only 3 assists versus 6 TOs at the point...pitiful ratio!

bwag 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't disagree at all really. Part of the problem is that Ben and Travis aren't moving well without the ball (especially Ben) or are reluctant and passing up shots.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

Noticed that too...I kept screaming at the TV for them to move.

niemoth 1 year, 6 months ago

no kidding how many times did we look at someone else to go get a rebound

DCLawHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Good point about the prophet looking better when he is not jacking up too many threes. It was like a role reversal with Tharpe tonight.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Actually I think EJ's shot selection has been better than Tharpe's all year. EJ's 3-point attempts have usually been good, open shots in the flow of the offense. He just hasn't been able to get them to go down. Tharpe's the one who has had a tendency to jack up early-clock jumpers without running any offense; he did it once or twice at key moments tonight, and not for the first time.

Having said that, kudos to Tharpe for hitting some big shots in crunch time as well.

johninkc1 1 year, 6 months ago

Tough night shooting but it's a W! Enough said. Karma for the back-flip.

GortHawker 1 year, 6 months ago

Wow, now thats what I'm talkin about, way to go hawks, Gorts happy!

texashawk10 1 year, 6 months ago

I got three words for this one: I'll take it!

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 6 months ago

Jeff Withey gets every call. It is absurd. That is why we won. He should have won it in regulation with an easy layup.

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

He just flails when he gets bumped, so it looks more legit.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

That's nonsense. Some of the calls made against Withey were bogus, and Marcus Smart got a lot of phantom calls in his favor. Withey got fouled a lot, and he deserved to go to the line -- and he deserves all the credit in the world for making the big free throws.

crazyed 1 year, 6 months ago

That was just the type of win we needed!

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 6 months ago

Turning point of the game: KY's HUGE "shiver" on that flippin' punk from OSU! ;)

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

...and TRel taking Smart's 5th foul.

jessejayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Smart almost did a back-flip, courtesy of Mr. Young. KY at 180 lbs knocking the 225 lb Smart on his ass was priceless

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, Self didn't seem too happy with that takedown. I'd prefer not to have our guys picking up unnecessary fouls early in a game so they can stay on the floor when it counts. And if they'd called it a flagrant (I don't think they should have, but it wouldn't have surprised me if they had), that could have really swung the momentum of the game against us.

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 5 months ago

I think deep down Self loved it! I think he wanted to give the impression he didn't like it whilst on TV, but in the locker room he probably hi-fived KY! :) Just my take....

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 6 months ago

I posted on an earlier topic about our lack of 8-15 ft shots. 90% of our scoring seems to be in the paint, or outside the arc. No short pull-up jumpers, or 10-12 footers. KY should practice those 100/day. Indeed a great/ugly win, but again, turn overs and lack of consistent shooting does us in. I'm still waiting to see us really play "TO WIN," and "not to lose."

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 6 months ago

Agreed...KY is wide open at elbow all the time!

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

We just beat one of the hottest teams in the country on their home floor. I think we absolutely played TO WIN, and -- newsflash -- WE WON.

There's nothing wrong with scoring only in the paint and from beyond the arc -- in fact, the stats gurus will tell you that's the most efficient approach. Sure, I wish we had shot better from outside, but that's the way it goes in a place like Gallagher-Iba. You can't depend on the jumpers to fall -- you have to be 5-8 points tougher to win.

VailHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Over/under on margin of victory sat TCU?

d_bradley27 1 year, 6 months ago

Poor shooting game but we somehow kept our wits, competed, and won on the road. This will pay dividends in March. I'm not one to blame refs but good god they were terrible tonight. I actually thought it was 8 on 3 at several points. I'd love for HCBS to get a technical to send a message. I'm sick of how games are called against us.

Anyway, I'm worn out. Great game. Rock Chalk!!

jessejayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Amazing stat: KU=21 fouls, OSU=22 fouls. Refs let the game really get out of control

d_bradley27 1 year, 6 months ago

Timing of the calls makes all the difference especially if in the bonus. Pretty amazing. Nice try though.

Chris1955 1 year, 6 months ago

I haven't watched the game yet. However, I did read the box score. I see that Higgins was one of the referees. I'm amazed we won with him calling the game.

We may have to settle for just winning a 9th consectutive Big 12 championship. I'm good with that.

David Leathers 1 year, 5 months ago

I can't do that. If I am unable to watch the game live, I stay away from all friends and media outlets. I HAVE to be the first person to see who won. No Facebook, Twitter, KUSports.com, and I turn my cell phone on silent.

David Davison 1 year, 5 months ago

Hey, I was in 8th grade in '94. Even had a shirt.. I'm sure there have been dumber shirts people have worn since then. :)

DCLawHawk 1 year, 6 months ago

Nominees for worst call of the game? I nominate the failure to call goaltending on EJ's shot at the end of regulation.

Joel Thomas 1 year, 6 months ago

Agree. Not sure how they didn't see that, an easier call than block/charge, etc.

DanR 1 year, 6 months ago

That one or the two missed goal tending calls prior... or EJ's fifth foul, or WIthey's 4th (on the clean block)... or any of the shoulder bump no-calls on Smart. And, if you have to check the replay tape 25 times per game to get the clock right, you shouldn't be a ref.

jessejayhawk 1 year, 6 months ago

You got my vote. Definitely goal tending, but refs would have been run out of tow if they had called it. Self preservation might have influence the non call

JayHawkFanToo 1 year, 5 months ago

That was a blatantly bad call but the charge call on Tharpe that took two points of the board and a potential 3rd point was worse. At best that was a no call and more likely a blocking foul, but definitely not a charge.l

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

KU won the game in regulation, 61-57. There were three absolutely terrible missed goaltending calls. On the first, there was also a foul in which Withey made both free throws, so at most we lost a point from a potential "and one" situation.

The second was probably a missed shot, but the OSU defender put his hand on the rim while the ball was still above the cylinder, which is an automatic call. The last one was obviously the one you mentioned, which I agree was the most egregious, because not only was it the right call, but the shot looked like it was going in.

Of course, there are plenty of bad ones to choose from. In the first overtime, there was Markel Brown's four free throw possession, where he drew a foul on McLemore by kicking his leg out (which is actually a full-on offensive foul in the NBA, for comparison). Then after basketball karma intervenes and Brown misses both free throws, he gets to go back to the line on the garbage call that fouled EJ out of the game.

All that being said, there were some pretty bad ones against OSU as well. The officials were just bad in general, but some of their worst calls happened to go against KU.

CalBBaller 1 year, 6 months ago

But where was BMac? He played a good decoy, but for KU to be successful in the tournament, he has to be the star. Unfortunately he is not built that way. He defers too much to other lesser talented players. Without BMAC being a star, KU will not get past the second round in the tournament. Sorry, role players don't win championships.

Joel Thomas 1 year, 6 months ago

This is the problem - we call someone a star and then set impossible standards. Isn't it more impossible to expect him to have a great game every single game. Anyway, Chalmers wasn't a star. He fared okay.

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Well, we just beat a team that's on track for a 4-5 seed, on their home floor, despite BMac's struggles. So I'd say that bodes well for our ability to get out of the 2nd round. And certainly Withey has become much more than just a "role player."

Sam Constance 1 year, 5 months ago

Totally agree on EJ's ankle-breaker. That's why it was all the more worse that the refs wiped it out by not making the goaltending call on his shot.

Kent Noble 1 year, 5 months ago

I just want congratulate Naadir on his toughness in double overtime. If my calculations are right, I believe a small box of popcorn runs for about $3.75 a box. Are so called 1st round top 5 NBA Draft pick, Ben McLamore and 5 year Senior Travis Releford left Naadir hanging out in Gallagher Iba Arena all by himself last night in double overtime. Those 2 would have been better off setting up in the stands eating that $3.75 box of popcorn. We would of had better luck with that then those 2 star athletes out on the floor. They did not stand up to the challenege at all. They were scared to death they kept giving the ball right back to Naadir because they didn't want to end up being the goat. The broadcasters need to shut there trap about how good Ben McLamore is. If he was anykind of a first round draft choice he would have tried to take over that game in overtime. He and Releford ran like 2 wooped puppies!!!! Great job NAADIR I don't care what people say about your game. Way to step up and get some balls to take that last shot!!

hawk_of_ages 1 year, 5 months ago

Uh, Releford had a great game.

colreader 1 year, 5 months ago

New NCAA category-----both teams play so bad, they BOTH get an "L". Whithey leaps up an incredible 10 inches under the basket, then streaks down the court at 3 or 3.5 miles per hour. During in-bounds plays, everybody stands around waiting for someone else to MOVE and receive the ball. There's not going to be a conference championship, a Big12 tourney championship, or a NCAA tourney victory. Bad lazy basketball comes home to roost!