Back to game coverage

Kansas at Okla. St. coverage

Kansas defeats Oklahoma State, 68-67

• 8 p.m., Feb. 20, 2013
  • Gallagher-Iba Arena, Stillwater, OK

FINAL: Naadir Tharpe's floater saves KU in 68-67 double-OT win over Oklahoma State

Naadir Tharpe hit a floater with 18 seconds left in double-overtime to give Kansas a one-point lead, and Oklahoma State guard Markel Brown missed a 19-footer with 10 seconds left before Travis Releford tipped the ball forward to run out the time in KU's 68-67 double-overtime victory over OSU on Wednesday night at Gallagher-Iba Arena in Stillwater, Okla.

Tharpe's jumper was KU's only field goal made in the two overtimes.

Travis Releford led KU with 18 points on 7-for-10 shooting, while Jeff Withey added 17 points, 14 rebounds and four blocks.

KU (22-4, 10-3 Big 12) moves into a tie for first place in the Big 12 with Kansas State.

The Jayhawks will play host to the TCU Horned Frogs at 3 p.m. Saturday.

Box score

Comments

Kent Noble 1 year, 2 months ago

I just want congratulate Naadir on his toughness in double overtime. If my calculations are right, I believe a small box of popcorn runs for about $3.75 a box. Are so called 1st round top 5 NBA Draft pick, Ben McLamore and 5 year Senior Travis Releford left Naadir hanging out in Gallagher Iba Arena all by himself last night in double overtime. Those 2 would have been better off setting up in the stands eating that $3.75 box of popcorn. We would of had better luck with that then those 2 star athletes out on the floor. They did not stand up to the challenege at all. They were scared to death they kept giving the ball right back to Naadir because they didn't want to end up being the goat. The broadcasters need to shut there trap about how good Ben McLamore is. If he was anykind of a first round draft choice he would have tried to take over that game in overtime. He and Releford ran like 2 wooped puppies!!!! Great job NAADIR I don't care what people say about your game. Way to step up and get some balls to take that last shot!!

Ralster Jayhawk 1 year, 2 months ago

E-l-i-j-a-h J-o-h-n-s-o-n with the ankle breaker killer crossover on Marcus Smart. Wow! Earlier he served up a "facial" type of dunk, although a whistle was blown prior, so it didnt count. ChokieState crowd hated that. Good confidence game for EJ. Frogs for dinner on Saturday...

CalBBaller 1 year, 2 months ago

But where was BMac? He played a good decoy, but for KU to be successful in the tournament, he has to be the star. Unfortunately he is not built that way. He defers too much to other lesser talented players. Without BMAC being a star, KU will not get past the second round in the tournament. Sorry, role players don't win championships.

DCLawHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Nominees for worst call of the game? I nominate the failure to call goaltending on EJ's shot at the end of regulation.

Chris1955 1 year, 2 months ago

I haven't watched the game yet. However, I did read the box score. I see that Higgins was one of the referees. I'm amazed we won with him calling the game.

We may have to settle for just winning a 9th consectutive Big 12 championship. I'm good with that.

d_bradley27 1 year, 2 months ago

Poor shooting game but we somehow kept our wits, competed, and won on the road. This will pay dividends in March. I'm not one to blame refs but good god they were terrible tonight. I actually thought it was 8 on 3 at several points. I'd love for HCBS to get a technical to send a message. I'm sick of how games are called against us.

Anyway, I'm worn out. Great game. Rock Chalk!!

VailHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Over/under on margin of victory sat TCU?

hawkmoon2020 1 year, 2 months ago

I posted on an earlier topic about our lack of 8-15 ft shots. 90% of our scoring seems to be in the paint, or outside the arc. No short pull-up jumpers, or 10-12 footers. KY should practice those 100/day. Indeed a great/ugly win, but again, turn overs and lack of consistent shooting does us in. I'm still waiting to see us really play "TO WIN," and "not to lose."

TexasRockChalk 1 year, 2 months ago

Turning point of the game: KY's HUGE "shiver" on that flippin' punk from OSU! ;)

crazyed 1 year, 2 months ago

That was just the type of win we needed!

Patrick Leiker 1 year, 2 months ago

Jeff Withey gets every call. It is absurd. That is why we won. He should have won it in regulation with an easy layup.

texashawk10 1 year, 2 months ago

I got three words for this one: I'll take it!

GortHawker 1 year, 2 months ago

Wow, now thats what I'm talkin about, way to go hawks, Gorts happy!

johninkc1 1 year, 2 months ago

Tough night shooting but it's a W! Enough said. Karma for the back-flip.

Jay Dogger 1 year, 2 months ago

EJ sure does look better when he isn't jacking up missed threes. If only Tharpe could learn that lesson. Point guards need more assists and fewer shots. 5 assists in 50 minutes of game time???

Eric Baker 1 year, 2 months ago

How many shots outside of the paint did we make? One? Just the three from Ben?

Jay Dogger 1 year, 2 months ago

I know he's not coming back but McLemore sure does have room for improvement. Great shooter, great on fast breaks, but clearly his weakness is creating shots for himself.

MimiHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

KY's shiver on Smart... what an awesome play

kcmojayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

No doubt the officiating was questionable, seemed like OSU got some breaks until the very end. This is just a thin KU team, 60 points from the starters and 8 from the bench.Ellis may need to red-shirt next year, especially if Randle comes here. The seniors won this one!

MimiHawk 1 year, 2 months ago

Did you see Travis' last play... That was Travis walkin' off the court in STYLE !!!

phins13td 1 year, 2 months ago

EJ is playing on flat tires. He wasn't even close on those FT's when it mattered. Withey and Releford were huge tonight.

Jeff Soisson 1 year, 2 months ago

K-State, sorry you all watched this for 3 hours and now know, another Big XII's championship for KU! Such composure and confidence. Well Done!

jayhawkinATL 1 year, 2 months ago

1-11 from 3-point range...how in the hell did we win???

Marvin Blackburn 1 year, 2 months ago

I think games like this teach teams alot about each other. Im starting to sense a new attitude and confidence with this team .

johninkc1 1 year, 2 months ago

FINALLY, WE GET SOME GOOD FORTUNE! ROCK CHALK! I think the refs need to attend class.

Woody Cragg 1 year, 2 months ago

Glad Nadir was able to redeme himself cause he played like krap most of the game.

John Randall 1 year, 2 months ago

Someone tweeted, "Thank god I changed shirts!"

My reaction: :Thank god I didn't.

LittleRockJayhawker 1 year, 2 months ago

OSU played “All I Do Is Win” with 3:48 left in regulation, again with 28.7 seconds left in regulation, and again with 1:54 left in 2OT. Just to be clear OSU, winning is not all you do. Rock Chalk!

bwag 1 year, 2 months ago

Time to dig in and work on installing our half court offense. We might need it from here on out.