Back to game coverage

Kansas at No. Illinois coverage

Northern Illinois defeats Kansas, 30-23

• 2:30 p.m., Sept. 22, 2012
  • DeKalb, Illinois,

FINAL: KU gives away 10-point lead in 30-23 loss to Northern Illinois

Kansas blew a 10-point fourth-quarter lead, giving up 17 unanswered points as Northern Illinois rallied for a 30-23 victory on Saturday at Huskie Stadium in DeKalb, Ill.

KU's Tyler Patmon intercepted a Jordan Lynch pass an returned it for a touchdown with 14:33 left, but almost nothing went right for KU after that.

The Jayhawks had a holding penalty on the extra point, then Ron Doherty missed the 30-yard attempt wide right.

On NIU's next play from scrimmage, Lynch jump-passed to Martel Moore for a 65-yard TD pass.

Following a Mathew Sims 44-yard field goal that tied it with 7:58 left, Leighton Settle finished a 53-yard drive with a two-yard TD run to give NIU the lead.

KU went backwards five yards combined on its final two drives.

In his first game back from a three-game suspension, KU's James Sims rushed 18 times for 91 yards and two TDs.

Lynch was 23-for-35 for 235 yards passing with TDs and one interception. He added 22 rushes for 134 yards.

Dayne Crist finished 10-for-26 passing for 147 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions.

KU (1-3) will have a bye week before playing at Kansas State on Oct. 6.

Comments

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Why doesn't the staff carry over the chat for the in game to here? In the middle of typing a post, it changes.

Seth Nesmith 8 years, 5 months ago

the wildcat will not work in the speedy big xii. we are doomed with crist.

Max Kandinsky 8 years, 5 months ago

And get who? Only 3 games in, less than a year of recruiting (to a horrible program) and working with players who do not know how to win. This will be a long process, but Charlie deserves a pass this year... unless you could do better.

99yard_run 8 years, 5 months ago

leave aphie alone........ his stock ain't worth $hit anymore...........

99yard_run 8 years, 5 months ago

LOL! My bad...........sorry............

99yard_run 8 years, 5 months ago

we'll be okay we'll be okay we'll be okay we'll be okay..........................

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

Did they ever stop the wildcat or did Weis stop it for them? Stop calling the man an offensive genius!! His play calling lost us another game.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

They started loading up the box. They made a couple of stops with no gain in the Jayhawk formation, so, yes, Charlie was forced to try to throw over the top. Unfortunately, Crist decided to abandon any form or accuracy. Not saying Charlie was perfect by any means, but execution lost this game.

Max Kandinsky 8 years, 5 months ago

This one is not on Charlie. He was making adjustments, but the players were not making plays (i.e. Crist, O-line). When you lose balance, you lose games. Today, Crist made bad decisions, threw horribly, and lost the head game. I think Crist can still turn it around and show what he can do, unfortunately it probably won't matter much with the teams we will start to face.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Not sure why you were responding to me, as I was saying essentially the same thing... maybe you were just agreeing with me?

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm not blaming Charlie and I get why he runs so much. Yes we have good backs, but the passing game just isn't good. Sadly, I think when we are eliminated from bowl contention is when Crist will be replaced. I'm not seeing much Improvement from him and would rather see a qb that will grow with this team beyond this year than one who isn't the answer.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Pierson is too small to break tackles inside. He needs to put on some weight in the off-season. Cox never returned. But our offensive line did not do its job today when they needed to.

This is a team sport, remember that. Because, there is not a single team in the nation that can win with just one guy.

eastcoasthawk 8 years, 5 months ago

But you can lose with a bad QB and kicker even in a team game.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

We need to put the option in, in the worst way...

Crist should be done, unless coming off hte bench...

The answer appears to be running Option with Cummings... WE're almost in wishbone anyway...

We made a mistake Firing Gill too soon. This team is made for Opton offense... In two years once Charlie get's his guys out there, we'll be fine... but for now...

Use the Bye. Get an Option Offense... use our talent.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

No we didn't, his pathetic coaching is still showing up in the past three games.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Certainly we can Blame Gill for Weiss's inability to run the ball in the 4th Quarter with a lead..

Gill would have had to hire a credible D coordinator.... Which means we could be looking at this defense with a coach skilled in the Option... This is GILL'S NITCH....

We have great running backs. a Dual threat QB ( like Webb, when healthy ) with would be 3-1 right now.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Gill also had a team with absolutely no discipline and no conditioning. So, maybe you get the benefit of his option experience, but you also get ALL those negatives he brought as well. It's not as simple as just "switch the coach."

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

We look soooooo much better under Weiss.... I don't know what all that conditioning is doing us...

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

We have looked considerably better. Guys actually look like they know their assignments, and they appeared to be disciplined. We just don't have the talent. But we are competing in each game. Under Gill this team would be BLOWN OUT in every game. Regardless of whether or not we ran the option...

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

And you would be a fool to think we would not had to have hired a new D coordinator in this off-season Mark my words... We would have been about the same on D under GIll with a New D coordinator ( if not better because we'd still have Keyston terry, Instead of making due with Linton...)

We wouldn't have been exposed this much for sure because we would have controlled the clock more, because this is an Option team, whether any of us like it or not.

I should be chanting for Weis to get fired, because after Turner's first game all we heard was Fire Turner Gill, but you know what, I think Charlie will do okay, just not this year... unless we completely scrap our Offense as mentioned previously... expect 1-11.

I guess I don't consider completely caving in the final quarter of the last three games competing... and for me that blame goes split on Weis and Crist. Weis for the play calling and Crist for the execution.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

And I'm sure he would have hired the greatest D-coordinator ever. Probably would have been better than the '85 Bears defense.

Look, we disagree. You think we'd be better off with Gill still in charge, basically everyone else doesn't. That's pretty much all there is to it. You can continue to try to get the last word and repeat yourself some more, but it doesn't change the fact that you are speculating with your own opinion. And I disagree with it.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Look it, We'll be fine if chucko sticks around. Our D is much better, as I believe our D would have been much better under turner with a new D coach...

But we are trying to run Weiss's offense with guys who can't do it.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

yeah, like I said. Speculation gets you as far as, "It would have been worse if we didn't spend $15 trillion by the Federal Government that past 4 fiscal years".

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

leave politics out of this. and it's not speculation. based on the talent this team has on the field... It's best suited to an Option attack. That is a fact. Our receivers are good Blocking receivers, and I think we could be elite with Cummings t QB in an option formation ( if we had been planning it all along... )

BUT... We have a coach who wants to play pro-style with it, and our Quarterback is a slower than Mizzou fan reading Dostoevsky.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Dude, you are, by definition, speculating. And I honestly cannot believe ANYONE is arguing to have Turner Gill back..... Yeah, Weis (and there is only one s) needs to make some changes, but... seriously... Turner Effing Gill??

I respect you on here, man, but you are WAAAAAYYY off on this one.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

He certainly wouldn't have allowed Crist to throw the football mindlessly in the fourth with the lead. Turner would have gone to the Wildcat/Jayhawk Formation and run the ball... you know, what WAS working.... and tried to bleed this one out... We have 3 legit running backs and Crist/Weis were PASS Run PASS ever drive in the fourth...

Honestly, you can make the case this is a Pro Style offense based off the four games we've watched? I'd love to see that argument... because a pro-Style quarterback doesn't go 4-15 in the Second half of a game they are leading. Especially when we have at least 3 legitimate running backs to carry the load.

There are probably other coaches that could have gotten the job done, Bill Snyder for one, Lou Holtz for another, but when we fired an Former Option Quarterback, and run first guy after two years... and install a pro-style system, we are going to look foolish until Weis gets his players on the field... If only Weis was a good enough Coach to adjust to the players around him ( something Bill Self did when he came to Kansas... Something all good coaches do until they have their players set... )

I respect you as well, but I'm right on this one... Watch the game and see it... When we were in an Option Styole offense, we couldn't be stopped...

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

"Honestly, you can make the case this is a Pro Style offense based off the four games we've watched? I'd love to see that argument..."

So would I. I didn't make that argument, so you are flirting with the straw man.

"Turner would have gone to the Wildcat/Jayhawk Formation and run the ball... you know, what WAS working...."

Charlie did as well... up until the point that they started loading up the box knowing we couldn't throw over the top. They stuffed the run both out of the Jayhawk and normal formations, so Charlie had little option. Doesn't mean I totally agree with his play calling down the stretch, but, in the end, the guys didn't execute on the field. Now, Weis needs to make adjustments. We'll see how good of a coach he is by the changes he makes in two weeks.

Also, feel like I should point out the high number of delay of game penalties we had under Gill when plays didn't get in on time. Gill was a disorganized mess a lot of the time. Don't forget that.

"...we are going to look foolish until Weis gets his players on the field..."

I have heard no one argue with that at all. In fact, that seems to be what basically every knowledgeable fan is saying. Crist has been poor (and in the 4th quarter he was outright God-awful), but he also doesn't have a plethora of good receivers running good routes. We need the talent. We don't have it right now. We are more of a running team, but that will only get us so far when teams start to load up the box. We don't have the talent to exclusively run option either. We still will need to throw the ball at least occasionally to keep the defense honest.

"...a good enough Coach to adjust to the players around him..."

Yep, 'cause what Gill is best known for is his ability to make adjustments........................................

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

You can hate on it, all you'd like... but it's the truth.

I'd prefer NOT to be running the option... I would rather see a pro-style offense, but i know what i see, and what I see is a team that should be running the ball 65% + in games... with a different quarterback, be it Webb or Cummings. Crist was a mistake. In two ears, Weiss will have enough of his ballers to make a guy like Crist work, but we lack them, so we should be what we are.

Bill Kackley 8 years, 5 months ago

I haven't given up on Weis yet but if he doesn't bench Crist, I will. He chased off a better QB in Webb.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Yea I doubt we beat TCU. Maybe 3-1. However Webb as the starting qb for two different fbs schools has lost to two different fcs.

eastcoasthawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Webb couldn't throw the ball further than 20 yards and had the same deer in the headlights look when pressured. I think not. Maybe a wash because Crist can throw it and Webb was a little mobile.

John Fryback 8 years, 5 months ago

Crist can't throw or run worth a lick. All the preseason hype we heard he should have 3 wins minimum and possibly 4. "He'll be good, just wait and see" OK, whatever. He gave away a 3 score lead when he overthrew Pick, that's all I the proof I needed.

Below average QB at best.

Pitthawk34 8 years, 5 months ago

Lew should be in prison with all of his friends

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Why should he be in prison? He wasn't ever indicted.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm kinda over this season, but there's plenty to be optimistic about next year. Namely Heaps and McCay.

AirCapJay 8 years, 5 months ago

To run Charlie's offense, you need pro players.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

It's not the players. If you think it is, how is he going to recruit those type of players to KU?

lurkerhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

If Crist can't compete against a MAC school, then I seriously, seriously doubt he'll compete when we're up against the BIG12.

Bench Crist and start Cummings.

741hawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Very concerned at Weis' in-game play calling and game management. Seems to me that prep for each game was very good, but Charlie seems to fall back on what he knows best (passing) . . . even if it's not working. This is not the overall game management that I was expecting.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm kind of over watching the same bad play calling every week and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Whatever it is he has already proven he is not worth it.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

It is disappointing, but everyone knew coming in. There was zero coaching going on the past two seasons. We have some talented guys but they were not coached, and remember last year when Gill said Heeney could run himself out of a play? Today he didn't.

I wouldn't take Gill back if they handed KU a National CHampionship for hiring him.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Well we did beat NIU last year, when they had an nfl qb on their roster.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah we did, and that was the LAST win of the season last year.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

Excuses!! Gill didn't make the same bad calls the last three weeks for KU.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Excuses? Gill set the team back. You can accept it or not. It's your choice, but you can't say he had the defense going in the right direction, and a whole new system, in this year. Many of these players are on their 3rd coach, because some whiny bags complained about Mangino. All of Bill Snyder's former assistants got canned. Leach, Mangino, and Levitt, in the same season.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

No sh!t Gill didn't make bad play calls, Chuck Long called the plays. And even if Gill was the play caller, the games have to be close to make bad calls.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Problem is Weis can't coach either. He's never demonstrated the ability to do so at the college level. He can only coach pro QBs who really don't need it. His Super Bowl rings are a joke and have oohing to do will him earning them.

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 8 years, 5 months ago

OC three super bowls for the Pats. Decent record considering opponent level at ND. I believe he was 35ish-27ish at ND with a BCS bid. They are about that same winning percentage in the post-Lew Holtz era so he held par.

He won't just hold par here at Kansas because the last coach was above par, or below par. Maybe golf isn't the best analogy here. The last coach was was worthless.

On 4th and forever when we went for it Weis called a play and #7, a proven receiver was crazy wide open and the QB missed, badly. He seems to miss badly a lot. 10-26. I saw some open guys out there. I, personally, could have hit a few guys out there, probably about 10 or so (include 5ish interceptions). Crist is slow. He can't move. What if the teams switched QBs. I think we would have won by a lot, three scores plus.

I've been at the all the games this year in Lawrence and I haven't seen much up close. This afternoon I saw a look on Crist's face that conveyed anguish, panic, confusion and inability. He's too slow. He misses easy easy throws that many could make. Yes, he makes other throws that very few could make. I don't want a NBA three. I want easy layups and quickness. This guy doesn't have it.

Heaps is next year yeah we're all excited but this is not I'm sorry he can't play. Give Cummings or Baty (spelling, sorry) a chance because the sacks he takes show his complete un-elusiveness. I know that Cummings is going to get out of some of those and is running. I'm not seeing a lot of TD passes so what do we give up with Cummings or Baty? . . . .. . . Charlie? 4 games is enough, he's missed about 4 or 5 gimmie throws. I'll give you 2, oven three misses on those. The receivers are not consistently getting open but when they do the QB is missing, badly. It's bad.

Webb missed a lot of those throws last year but not this many. He eludes some of these sacks and makes better decisions. Cummings or Baty now is the solution. It's over Crist. Sorry. You don't have it. You are not a winner. The look on your face this afternoon was so irritating. You looked like someone who is refusing to shut down in a situation that they don't understand. It's just a game and this is too harsh from me but I don't understand why people like this play the game if these are the feelings elicited from the game.

That's just me analyzing him though. Maybe he was just thirsty or something and that's his thirsty face. In reality though he still has a shot to prove himself. This is not over. Wins remain on the schedule. Specifically in two weeks. As I type the Wildcats are beating OK but that means nothing in two weeks. Any game on our schedule is still winnable. We can even string a few together. It's still obvious we are playing below even average for our ability level.

Go get em Jayhawks. Go get em Crist! But he needs to prove something in Manhattan or we need to give somebody else a chance to prove something.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Did you see KSU play last nite? The only thing Weis and Crist will prove next week is how deep they are in over their heads...it could be very ugly if Snyder decides to punish big mouth Weis for his earlier comments about Snyder.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

And from what you've seen this year do you really think there is any real coaching going on? Lots of talk but no results. Snyder would be 3-1 or 4-0 with this team.

Seth Nesmith 8 years, 5 months ago

I miss wichita st. football. i'd rather skip the drive to lawrence and support a local team.

Andrew Moore 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm concerned. we'll most likely be 1 - 11 at the end of this season. Weis will be under fire. We will have low expectations again, "hoping" for a 4-8 season... We have invested so much $$$ into football, and all we have for it is crappy losses to crappy teams and beatdowns from everyone else. We just aren't a tough team right now. I can't explain it.

Crist isn't making good decisions. He isn't making the throws. He isn't doing a good job at QB. I feel for him, its tough. However, maybe its time for a little QB controversy. Turner Baty or Mike Cummings should get a shot. We really don't have anything to lose.

eastcoasthawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. Crist is playing poorly. He is like a 5 star HS QB that hasn't learned much in college. He might be book smart (or Charlie's playbook smart) but he is not street smart (game situation smart). And he can't hit a RB or TE cutting across the field.

I'm ready to see another QB that can throw and has enough mobility to get out of a tough situation or two.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

The Is no QB controversy because there are no QBs.

johninkc1 8 years, 5 months ago

Crist lost his confidence in a winnable game. Now he should loose his job. If not, I wonder what he will play like against the rest of the Big 12. Do we have someone else to play QB?

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

The Offesnsive Linemen should also lose their jobs after today.

They couldn't block anyone in the 4th quarter.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

Why were there so many 2nd stringers playing then?

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Heeney didn't play last year except on special teams I believe. Gill said himself, and maybe my memory is just better, said that he was too fast.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

2nd stringers? They shuffled around the offensive line on the depth chart this week.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Weis must not be wearing all his Super Bowl rings today.

John Fryback 8 years, 5 months ago

Time to pull a redshirt, this is very bad, you can back #10 all you want but not being to scramble at ALL leaves the Oline hanging out to look bad. The missed pass to Pick in the 3rd with a 24-13 lead was all we needed to see of Crist for the year, blame that on the offensive line????

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

that was a play he missed, but Pick also wasn't running full speed with the ankle injury. He was noticeably limping on that play

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

This is dumb. You're frustrated after the past two seasons, I can understand that. But it is the past two seasons that set 90% of this team's development back 2 years.

Gill was the worst coach, BY FAR, KU has had in the past 25 years.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

Dude, you're in denial. I used to like reading your posts. This blame it on Gill all the time is tiresome and wrong. Try defending the play calling the past 3 weeks.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

No it isn't. You and I watched the last two years. Those guys got close to zero coaching. Gill kept guys out that were better than the players he started. Heeney being an example.

AirCapJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Gills team beat a number 15 Georgia Tech team. They also came from WAY behind to beat Colorado. I think it set a record or something.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 5 months ago

I'll +1 that. Campo, Grunhard alone give us reasons to be optimistic about the future on the defensive side. Weis has a questionable track record, but he can certainly recruit on offense. This thing can't turn around on a dime. Give it another season and we should see some real results.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Wrong! At least Gill knew he was inept while Weis thinks he's a coaching legend.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

He didnt have to say it. You could see it on his face at every presser.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 5 months ago

Ha... Gotcha. Forgive me if I require some actual evidence...

Kenny Terry 8 years, 5 months ago

So right im so glad Gill is gone. Damn people Weis is not God. At least we are in these games. If Candybar Gill was still here we would suffer blowouts. It's a first step to compete and winning will come

Chayse Patrick 8 years, 5 months ago

Well I wonder what Zenger thinks of his joke of a hire now??? Never thought I would ever give up but this IS BAD. It's time to drop football completely!!!! I'm serious. At least Gill had 2 wins a year while fat-a-- is dead set on showcasing crist.. for what??? Weis is a joke Campo is a joke the entire football program is a joke. Good thing we don't have WU or ESU or PItt st on the schedule. I'd rather quit now than be the joke the century cause that's where this is going. Weis proved his incapabilities at ND and now KU is his next stop to ruins. 3rd times a charm so Rice TCU and NIU it's time to hammer the fat f--k. PATHETIC and to hear him say last week "we're turning the corner"???? OMG ROFLMAO

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Speculation only gets about as far as you can throw your own ass.

Chayse Patrick 8 years, 5 months ago

It's a lot more simple than benching Crist!!!!! Zenger needs to bench Weis. I think I'll make up 2 t-shirts that says "Turning the Corner" and send one to zenger and one to weis. PATHETIC

AirCapJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Matthews looked like he can scramble. I'm sure he can me the short passes. Let him run the offense next.

troutsee 8 years, 5 months ago

I have been saying all season the Crist is not the man. If that is the best QB we have, then we are in deep trouble.

Their defense adjusted and out defense flat out folded.

So sick of KU football heartbreaks.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

All these calling for Matthews to come in, he'd have to throw the ball at least some, and he hasn't done that at all. If they bench Crist now going into K-State 87-0 Kansas State.

99yard_run 8 years, 5 months ago

73 shut up... all your blathering isn't getting your points across....

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

All my blathering? My point isn't getting across, but it isn't because of me.

99yard_run 8 years, 5 months ago

blah blah blah.... go drink another beer........

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

You're not telling me anything I don't already know.

hotrodm 8 years, 5 months ago

I hate to say this but Crist is not the answer. He is a great kid, but couldn't pass gas.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

How can you say that when Crist is stinking it up all over the place?

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

All these armchair quarterbacks all of a sudden.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

I watched the game. Crist was sacked 4 or 5 times, and when we did run it in the fourth quarter, for the most part NIU stuffed it.

I wish it was black and white, but it isn't.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Fair point. Our offense in general didn't play well. Dropped passed, missed throws, bad blocking. Our offense just isn't very good. Our Defense is light years better then last year. To bad they seem to be on the field 75%of the game.

Hawkjock 8 years, 5 months ago

They have two weeks to revamp the offense. Kids are absolutely lost and clearly are not confident. That's on the coaches. Crist has lost it and it is cruel to keep him in a position where he cannot win. Sad.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Wait, this all started with Gray running out Perkins and Mangino. Perkins gave Gray a little, "in your face". Perkins wasn't what caused this in the beginning. Gray Little did. Short memories here today.

Perkins was one of the world's top sports executives while at KU. I don't blame him, he had things rolling before Gray Little arrived.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

Why do you keep blaming this on everybody else except the current head coach/offense coordinator?

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 5 months ago

Dude, if KU got rid of every coach that sucked their first three games; we'd never build a program.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Mangino didn't get off to all that great of a start either in his first year, but there was at least progress his first year. And there has been progress this year.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

You know why? KU was the worst team, the worst coached team for 2 years. That doesn't change in 4 games. Gill had to go, and his poor coaching is still showing up on this team.

Completely new offense this year. It isn't rocket science. Gill's destruction has residual effects. There is no way to refute this honestly.

Kenny Terry 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah people under his watch scalping tickets in criminal fashion. Something he had no idea about? BS is what I say. I'm glad he is gone to

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

yeah, hold the big buy accountable for that huh? Like blaming a CEO for the actions for a lower level manager's actions, huh?

Kenny Terry 8 years, 5 months ago

He is the man in charge of these criminals and who hired them so why the hell not?

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

Crist has not only lost his confidence but also the confidence of his team. Anybody else see Ragone's reaction to being thrown behind again during the 4th quarter of a 5 yard slant?

Stephan123 8 years, 5 months ago

There were some positives for KU in this game. Maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

AirCapJay 8 years, 5 months ago

We don't have the personnel to run Charlie's offenses. We have to work with what we have. We have a running game if he wants to go all in on it.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. And for the 3rd week in a row, he shelved it for no apparent reason.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

That's what makes Bill Self such a tremendous coach.

AirCapJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Yep. You can't make apple pie with a bunch of lemons.

Andy Godwin 8 years, 5 months ago

I have been consistent from game one, Weis' offensive play calling is terrible. KU drives die when they get within the 30 of their opponent, because they go to the pass. Clearly the offensive line is better at blocking for the run than the pass and Crist should not be expected to do much at this point. I bought season tickets this year knowing that KU had the same players and talent level from last year and that 3 wins would be a successful season. I did not realize that the stubborn headed coach could cost them the Rice and NIU game. Weis, hire an offensive coordinator and just wonder the sidelines yelling at the officials.

Max Ledom 8 years, 5 months ago

Charlie is not the issue. His ego is though. If he would bench Crist, we would be in good shape. I think he sees that now and Crist will last at least one more half in my opinion if not lose his job this week. We need to TRY to win. No matter how bummed we are Crist turned out to be nothing. And WayWard, come on. We do not win these games with Gill. Charlie is such an upgrade it's not funny. But on to the next week we move, hopefully we can keep from being dismantled by KState for the 3rd straight year. Charlie will turn this thing around eventually. I trust him more than Gill. Just as soon as Crist is out, we will be better on offense.

Max Ledom 8 years, 5 months ago

Charlie is not the problem, idiots. Every coach makes bad calls. But Charlie isn't the one throwing 10-26 for 145 yards against a team that gave up 40 points to the worst team in football, Army.

Mike Nicco 8 years, 5 months ago

And how did they give up those points? Army RAN the ball.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Army runs the ball on almost every play in every game. Army also LOST the game.

patkindle 8 years, 5 months ago

i remember when we loved mangino then we hated him then we loved gill then the hated him we used to love charlie now we hate him we are so sad but at least mu lost so we are happy

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

no improvement? I can't do anything but laugh at that.

KU gave up an average of 44 points a game last year.

This year 17, 25, 20, and now 30 to a team we gave up 42 at home a year ago. That's 23 points per game. That's certainly an improvement.

I think the expectations of the offense were too high for us, including my own, but I'm not about to give up on Weis.

Armen Kurdian 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't think there's any question that KU is a better team than last year. And you hate to blame it on one player, but DC just missed too many wide open receivers. O-line is still a problem. All of this being said, you've really got to wonder what's going on in the minds of the players...I know they're working hard, I know they're hungry for a win, and they most certainly are not a pack of losers. But they've got to be shaking their heads wondering what the heck they need to do to win a game. I hate losing. Weis will make his decisions all the comments on this board notwithstanding.

Any KU players reading this post, we still support you guys. Never give up. I know you guys have it in you...just keep chopping away. It will all come together soon.

Annette Lee 8 years, 5 months ago

HCCW has a problem, he let J Webb go. Now he has no back up. The Jayhawk formation is all he has. Crist was a big help with learning the new play book but now like some one said he can't pass gas. I'm frustrated are you?

Cody Riedy 8 years, 5 months ago

The inability to convert third downs and similarly convert drives into points is the single biggest problem we have. Crist just can't complete a pass other than one that is thrown straight at a basically unmoving target. Under 50% completion percentage is terrible. In today's style offenses, really 60% is only average. At least today Weis gave him more opportunities to complete short passes.

jphawk23 8 years, 5 months ago

Jordan Webb just completed 70 yard touchdown pass to a wide open tight end....just saying!

Cody Riedy 8 years, 5 months ago

The only way Webb would be an improvement is that his arm strength and potential is so much lower than Crist's that Weis would have to except that he can't run an NFL style passing game. Which, he did dial back to day overall (i.e. the deep out routes, etc)

Jeff Suther 8 years, 5 months ago

If crist starts next week we need to start considering getting rid of weis.

AirCapJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, because if they show up in Manhattan next week, I agree.

George Powell 8 years, 5 months ago

Breaking News, got to love this.

The post game interview with the South Carolina Gamecocks Coach Steve Spurrier. He just gave a game ball to Coach Pepper Rodgers; CPP asked CSS to kick Missouri's butt. Evedently CPP and CSS are very close friends and CPP gave CSS a coaching job way back when.

About fell out of my chair when watching this. Even with Missouri running from the B12, they can't get away from KU. LMAO

Curtis Stutz 8 years, 5 months ago

My mental notes on this horribly disappointing loss. 1) O-line can't let guys slip through untouched in pass protection. What the heck guys, we know you can block, is it just a lack of urgency in pass protection? Block like you do on the run, just hit the guy, anything but letting them slide run through the line straight at the QB. 2) Crist has some talent but needs to be almost completely rebuilt as a QB (btw 2 weeks to do this). Never, never any touch on the ball, every deep shot is a line drive that's off the mark and gives the WR no chance. If Weis doesn't start him next game I don't think anyone could blame him. Some of those sacks aren't the protection's fault either. 3) Defense has got to play all 4 quarters. What happened? Did they get tired, not enough substitutions, not enough depth in general? I don't know but that was an ugly end to the game for a defense that had a pick 6 and held them to 13 until the last stretch. Couple that with the Rice comeback and it has to make you worry. 4) It is better to have held a 10pt 4th quarter lead and lost than to have never led at all. You can disagree, but you'll never convince me you'd rather see KU not take that lead and just lose say 13-10. It has to be demoralizing to the players, but they have to get over it. They had what it took to take that lead, now figure out what it's going to take to keep it one of these times.

I'll reiterate, Weis, you've got 2 weeks now, 4 games worth of tape to work with. You're supposed to be an offensive guru, put an offense together.

Micky Baker 8 years, 5 months ago

Cox was injured in the first quarter and never returned.

troutsee 8 years, 5 months ago

Charlie has to end this love affair with Crist. Crist does not have it. He is being outplayed in every game by the opposing QB. He's a heck of a nice guy and built to be a QB but he simply is not mobile enough and if you are not mobile, you better be accurate and he isn't. Pull him Charlie before the entire ship goes down again and we, the fans, are left angry once again. We deserve more than this. The rest of the team deserves more than this. After 4 games, it is obvious that he is not the GUY and he cannot and will not get it done for us.

Cody Riedy 8 years, 5 months ago

In the post game interview, Weis kind of made it sound like he'd put in another QB if he thought the number 2 was good enough. I'm not sure if he was trying to complement Dane and say he's way better, or if he was just admitting that Dane has struggled enough to warrant looking at someone else but they just don't have someone else.

bladejhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Crist has got to go.....He has gone so mental on us that he cannot complete easy passes for TD's. No mobility, No poise, there has got to be a better option!!!!

Brian Skelly 8 years, 5 months ago

To me the play calling has been an issue, but I have no problem thinking the coaching staff sees something that warrants changing it. What choice do I have otherwise? I think watching Dayne Crist not be able to hit the broadside of a barn has been the most frustrating thing to watch this season for me. Yes, there are times when pressure gets through -- like today. But this guy air mails and just flat out throws horrible balls... A LOT ! ! !

Does anyone in here honestly believe that Jordan Webb is worse than Crist is? No way. And I dont think Webb is that good. But he could hit a 7 yd crossing pattern. I'd say Crist throws a good 'deep ball', but that isnt the case when you air mail 2-3 bombs per game.

Everyone loves the back-up QB when teams are bad. But I'd simply settle for running more of the Wildcat offense. Change of pace is great if your standard set up has no pace at all.

jphawk23 8 years, 5 months ago

On the practice field Crist blows Webb away....between the lines on game day they are the same. Today Webb was better, he hit the WIDE open receiver and used his feet to score the game winner'

99yard_run 8 years, 5 months ago

J Webb just got a shout-out from Erin Andrews on Fox......

RL 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm as frustrated as the next guy but I can't believe some of the comments on here. How many did Mangino win in his 1st season after taking over Terry Allen's mess? This is a much improved squad from Gill's era....That said, fire Crist and find a GD kicker.

Robert Brown 8 years, 5 months ago

I think it is a stretch to say the team is better than last year's. Last year's team beat NIU. This team has also lost at home to a mid level Conference USA team. You can't convince me that the offense is better. The defense was shredded at the end of the game. That seems a lot like last year. They have forced more turnovers but do you really want to be dependent on forcing turnovers.

Charlie Weis was a pick to keep KU as a media topic. Charlie Weis's three college stops have not been good so far. Florida didn't cry when he left. He calls the plays and the play calling is questionable. He unnecessarily elevated expectations by bringing in Crist. He clearly thought he could win games immediately by bringing him in. A lot of people were thinking 5-6 wins. I thought we might win four.

I guess you could say that I am disappointed by not surprised.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Best and most accurate post about Weis...so true.

Armen Kurdian 8 years, 5 months ago

RL, I think we're frustrated in that KU should be 3-1 right now. I never had any illusions about having a winning record this year (though that would be awesome), but it's just like a horror movie you watch over & over again, and you just know KU is going to self-destruct. You hope you're wrong, but you're not.

RL 8 years, 5 months ago

I get it....we aren't 3-1 because Coach took over the worst team in college FB. Things don't change overnight and people are taking jabs at the play calling...really?

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 8 years, 5 months ago

We just gave away the Rice game, and this one too.

Imagine if we didn't collapse and were sitting at 3-1. i wonder what we'd be saying on these message boards.

i know....woulda, shoulda coulda....

keep your heads up, jayhawks. maybe we'll pull off a Big 12 upset if we're lucky and make up for these early season wasted opportunities against teams that SHOULD be cupcakes....

Dave Benjamin 8 years, 5 months ago

Next year's QB can't play this year due to NCAA transfer rules.

OKHawkFan 8 years, 5 months ago

Everybody relax!! I kind of chuckled on Friday with Matt's Chat about how a lot of people thought that this game was winnable. I thought to myself that we'll get beat by 17 or more. The hawks are horrible on the road and we have been for 2 1/2 years. what makes us think this year will be different?? I was very surprised that we were in this game in the fourth quarter and with that being said I'm afraid most if not all of our big 12 road games won't be close. However, even though this year will be rough we will improve it just won't show in the W column. Give Weis some time!!! Let's face it Crist is an OK QB he just doesn't have that "it" factor. I'm behind the hawks 100% but it's going to be a long season. I know it's still frustrating as HECK!!

BringBackMark 8 years, 5 months ago

At the risk of being blasted for putting too much on Crist, the bottom line is this guys a 5th year senior transfer. If he was a true freshman, red-shirt freshman, sophomore, or maybe even a juco transfer, I'd say stay with him and work the kinks out. The reality is that we just blew our last chance for a win. Crist is gone after this season. We've got, what was a highly touted duel threat QB. sitting on the bench in Michael Cummings. Even if he's not the future starter, we might as well groom him as a backup.

Weis is going to lose this team after about 3 butt kickings in the next 3 games. That's understandable since the defense, and most of the offense, has played well enough to win at least 3 games if not all 4.

I remember a game in 2006 when an unknown true freshman named Todd Reesing came in late in the Colorado game and led KU to a surprise win in the 4th quarter. He played in several games the rest of that year and was less than impressive. The next year....well you know.

Yes the defense had breakdowns, and yes, the offensive line had breakdowns. Bottom line is our 5th year senior captain had ample opportunity to make the plays necessary to win at least two of the last three, if not all three. I'm tired of it and I think all fans should be. It's time to look to the future and start building not patching.

8 years, 5 months ago

Time for Zenger to look for another job. Sorry but Weis was not then is not now or will not be in the future the answer for the Jayhawks. Offensive line stuck - could never handle NIU's pressure. Play calling reaked. Where is the fire that the coaches have told us about. KU should have won by 2 touch downs. Never put any pressure on NIU on 3rd down (when NIU had the ball) but NIU sure put it on KU.

Jayhawks1985 8 years, 5 months ago

I know everyone seems to have given up on them i'd love to see Crist succeed. They need to start believing in themselves.

There was to much pressure on them to turn this team around in a few games.

We need a team psychologist didn't it work in that movie Tin Cup?

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

OK fellow Jayhawks - it's been a hard Saturday for all of us, everyone take a deep cleansing breath and let it go.........

Feel better now?

Let's drop all the negative talk and focus on the positives for a while. Look at some of these statistics and tell me if you don't feel better:

We lead the NATION in the following categories:

• Takeaways
  • Kickoffs that are not even close to reaching the end zone.
  • Blown second half leads.
  • Refusal to take out messiah QB for one who can move the ball
  • Missed field goals and field goals that were never attempted because he can't hit one outside
    of 35 yards unless there's a 50 mph wind at his back.

I'm sure there are numerous more that I've neglected or won't allow myself to think about - feel free to include some of your own insights.

Now, take another deep cleansing breath......................

Kent Kossoy 8 years, 5 months ago

I predict only one more win coming next Saturday. Heck we will probably lose on the bye weekend too!

AirCapJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Last week even though we lost was a step forward. This week we had a 10 point lead in the 4th and gave up 17 unanswered. Big step backward.

eastcoasthawk 8 years, 5 months ago

So frustrating to see this team this way. I still fervently support the team and hope for a Big 12 win or two. Crist is not the answer. We really paid dearly today with the change in the offensive line. Aslam was seeing blitz and couldn't figure out who to pick off and let them all through. Dent comes in and just gets beat because he is learning the position the hard way. We probably had a better yard per play average with the Jayhawk formation than with Crist at QB. Even the ESPN3 guys calling the game saw that our screens weren't going anywhere yet we still kept calling them. Another woulda, coulda, shoulda. Right now we need two serious upgrades. One at QB (anybody with some mobility and some calm under pressure) and kicker (I think we are SOL here). In the meantime, keep at it boys.

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Please stop calling it the Jayhawk formation. This team has not earned the right to act like they invented it and besides, even the announcers laugh at the name.

Ryan Shelton 8 years, 5 months ago

And in other news, KState is about to take out OU. For the record, they weren't built over night either. Just saying...

99yard_run 8 years, 5 months ago

For the record... Charlie Weis is no Bill Snyder.......

Ryan Shelton 8 years, 5 months ago

For the record... Bill Snyder has quite a few more seasons under his belt than Charlie Weis........

squawkhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

For the record...Weis has 5 Super Bowl rings and is the self appointed saviour of KU football.

Roger Tobias 8 years, 5 months ago

K-State had to come from behind. They weren't focused, because they were looking ahead to their next game.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

Forget all the on field problems this team has right now, the biggest problem this team has is the collective 5 inches between their ears. This team simply isn't mentally tough enough to finish off equal or lesser opponents and that's been an issue ever since Bill Young left this team. His defenses weren't usually more talented than their opponents, but they sure as hell were tougher and that carried over to the offense and KU won most of the close games they played against equal or lesser opponents.

Teaching these players the toughness it takes to finish off close games isn't something that happens overnight and the growing pains are frustrating as hell to go through. I have faith this team will steal a couple of games in Big 12 play this year and if that happens, hopefully it will start to snowball into KU being able to beat the teams that are close to equal or lesser to them talent wise while occasionally stealing games from the elites.

danmoore 8 years, 5 months ago

What an emotionally fragile fan base.

We have a lot of catching up in the talent department and at the end of the day that’s where the games are won and lost. I’m as disappointed as everyone else but as long as we are in the game it’s an improvement from last year and that’s all I can expect.

milwaukeeJAYHAWK 8 years, 5 months ago

Yes and yes. I never expected glory, I just yearn for competetiveness. We know we're not going bowling in year 1 of Weis. I'd be happy with simple improvement from where we were. Getting rolled 72-10 or whatever we were last year practically every game was unacceptable. Losing 21-7 or so to a good team, for example, would not be fun----but it's better than a blowout.

Let's hope things come together in the next couple of years.

RL 8 years, 5 months ago

Your crystal ball must be working well. BTW, Mangino won two games his first year.