Back to game coverage

TCU at Kansas coverage

TCU defeats Kansas, 20-6

• 11 a.m., Sept. 15, 2012
  • David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: Despite turnovers, TCU takes down KU, 20-6

The Kansas defense forced four turnovers, but it wasn't enough as TCU's defense shut down KU in a 20-6 victory over the Jayhawks on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

The Jayhawks offense finished with 380 total yards but scored just six points in three trips to the red zone.

TCU quarterback Casey Pachall finished 24-for-30 passing for 335 yards and two scores. TCU scored on just three of its seven trips to the red zone.

KU quarterback Dayne Crist was 19-for-39 for 303 yards with no touchdowns and an interception.

Andrew Turzilli led the KU receivers with three catches for 100 yards. Tony Pierson added six catches for 99 yards.

Bradley McDougald had 12 tackles, including two for loss and one sack to go with two forced fumbles.

KU (1-2) will travel to Northern Illinois for a 2:30 p.m. game on Sept. 22.

Postgame Charlie Weis audio

Box score

Comments

waywardJay 6 years, 9 months ago

Critic Turned Apologist.

1-2, Still winless against top 25 teams.

Defense played their asses off today. And, Still 1-2.

Get James Sims back, actually start targeting our taller receivers on the edges, move Patterson into the Slot receiver. Still 1-2.

Changes going forward, Less Beshears and More Parmelee. In My eyes, Dj Is done. Was holding out hope, because I dig smaller receivers, but Kid checked out. He should have left with Turner. and still 1-2.

Ponder this while you are eating your Cheerios... What happens if we go 1-11? Do we fire Charlie Weiss for doing less in less time than Turner did with Mangino's boys, Or do we admit we missed our shot at making this a legitimate football school and hope in 4 years Charlie can have us in Bowls again?

Brandon Pope 6 years, 9 months ago

Great game by the hawks. Defense was great and refs were horrible. Still had a shot there at the end. Moving forward.

Ben Kliewer 6 years, 9 months ago

Two losses by a combined 15 is better than pretty much any two game losing total we had the last two years. I guess I'll take it... for now.

hawksquawk 6 years, 9 months ago

I think our success on defense will give our team something to build on. Not a total morale killer. Would've been a blowout last year. All we can really hope for is to be competitive

Aaron Carpenter 6 years, 9 months ago

That was just disheartening offensively speaking

danmoore 6 years, 9 months ago

I was encouraged by the play of our offense.

Brandon Pope 6 years, 9 months ago

I am assuming there barrage if doomsday commenters will hit soon enough. Keep this in mind. You were bracing for a blowout and joking about how bad it might be before the game, try not to come in here and complain about how inept the coaching staff and QB are for losing a winnable one.

You can't have it both ways.

Jim Darnall 6 years, 9 months ago

There wasn't a bowout because of their turnovers. THey moved at will and that was becuase of poor tackling and terrible defensive backs. Our offense played pretty well accept for too much passing. (offensive coaching staff problem). This year will be what most of us expected. Wuold still like to see betterplay out of the defensive backfield

shelleysue 6 years, 9 months ago

Every time I get frustrated with the defense I remind myself that they're what's keeping us in the game. 9 turnovers in 3 games. Offense needs to do something with that!! We had plenty of great opportunities today. That said, kicking needs an overhaul all the way around. Hope that comes together soon.

Cody Riedy 6 years, 9 months ago

Our defense gave up yards, but at least they are making teams run multiple plays to score - hence more opportunities for turnovers. Last year there were so many times teams ran less than 5 plays to score against us.

JayHawk_from_SWKS 6 years, 9 months ago

I expect more out of our offense with an offensive guy as head coach. But, you could argue the offense is going through more of a change than the defense. Play calling was weird though, and Crist and the receivers aren't doing each other any favors.

Jim Darnall 6 years, 9 months ago

Well the second half sure showed our weakness at coaching. Pass, pass, pass. Got away from our strengths and fed our weakness. Even the TV commentators made note of that. Lets face it Charie the coach is what most of were afraid of. Not a very good coach . We were still in this game the 2nd half until he seemly paniced right out of the gate and did nothing but pass. Cris is not a true passing quarterback and he makes too many bad decisions. He can't even scramble when he should. Should have stayed back east.. Oh yes,, the cornerbacks are also a discrace to the word DEFENSE.. I don't know if they know what the word means. Thank God for the turnpvers on TCU's part. That kept the game somewhat interesting.. The defesive backfied is as weak as it has been the last few years. Not to mention extremely poor tackling. Over all, the game was exciting, but still shows lack of quality coaching and athletes. It is going to be a long and painful football season for us KU fans...

TheStonesSuck 6 years, 9 months ago

I just want to say that I love your posts

Ethan Berger 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm pleased with this game. After last week I feared a blowout and we kept them in check. Crist did alright we just have to finish drives. I'm actually more upset with our Wide outs. We don't have any play makers outside of Pierson. Their were about 7 plays where the receivers should have made the play and didn't. With Crist and his inaccuracy I decided to look more into the throws. What I saw wasn't so much bad throws rather a lack of height buy our wide outs. For instance, on the out routes, he actually threw the ball where you should. If he throws it on the line, its a pick six. You need to throw it high and to the outside, instead of shooting for the chest. Now where Christ struggles is timing but that appears to be more and more on the wide outs. The TCU receivers seemed to be much more open. This could be and most likely is because of the 10 yard gap our corners give. However, they couldn't score much on it. We are going from a speed spread system to a pro style. We don't have they recievers yet for the pro. You want your outside guys to be over 6 feet tall. I think with Omegie and Turzilli we will see and improved attack, but they need to clean up their routes and hands. Defense gave up alot of yards but buckled down and forced 3 turnovers (the snap wasn't forced). So Defense is going great so far. Happy with this game, it's a process and after last week I feel a lot better.

kureader 6 years, 9 months ago

This is a knowledgable post. It's exactly correct, our receivers are too small for this style of offense. Frankly, though I like our coaches, I don't care for the type of offense (as a passing offense, at least). It's old fashioned, relatively simple from passing point of view, and there aren't enough weapons. 3 receivers instead of 5, QB's who, as a rule are not a threat to run, conventional (predictable) routes.

Though a couple of the receivers couldn't get open or catch the ball ... the passing attack was better today as should be expected. This was a very good defensive opponent. Weis's plays showed more imagination this week, and made Crist move around in the pocket for a change.

I thought we showed real improvement.

Jim Darnall 6 years, 9 months ago

I have to agree to certain point. Unfortantey I don't think there is anyone else.

Shawn Darius 6 years, 9 months ago

I completely agree. Dayne is just frustrating to watch...and 6 points of offense in the Big 12?!!! Give me a break.

Chayse Patrick 6 years, 9 months ago

Crist sucks 100% I'm glad he's only here for one year. WOW for our offense for supposedly being our strength this year and all it can produce is 6 pts that 2 fgs with a 5 star QB leading our team??? what the heck is Weis trying to prove?? Sure we all can compare this year losses to last years losses but it's still a loss Crist needs to be on the bench where he won't throw a incompletion or get sacked. I know for a fact that any of our backups will do better. Weis needs to put on his bigger boy pants and bench Crist!!!! He wasn't afraid to do it at ND so he doesn't have to be afraid to do it at Kansas. It;s time for all the lame excuses to stop. WE SUCK BIG TIME!!!!!!

KnightsWhoSayNi 6 years, 9 months ago

'stanleys' says: "I know for a fact that any of our backups will do better."

Have to throw the total BS flag here (unless Bill Belichick wrote this.) Making this statement and then following it with any type of thought is like using the word "but", which basically means "ignore everything I said before the word ".

Also,"WE SUCK BIG TIME" . . . . . WE(?), Kemo Sabe?

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 9 months ago

I know we aren't benching Crist, but I hope when the offense stalls Weis is willing to bring in a backup. He's insecure back there, locks onto receivers, doesn't look for underneath stuff that would get us yards and doesn't dump off to the backs. Oh, he holds onto the ball too long

Jim Darnall 6 years, 9 months ago

Those of our fans that say there was an improvement this week evidently wasn't watching the defensive backfield. It was pitiful and a disgrace to the word defense.POOR tackling was very evident along with cornerbacks that don't cover anyone.. I have seen better high school defensive backs...Shame on the coaching staff and I mean that. Too much cushion constantly given. 8 yard ginnies was there all game. Shame, shame, shame....

Ethan Berger 6 years, 9 months ago

You mean how they scored all those 20 points and forced three fumbles two by our saftey? Yea they suck

TulsaJayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

The defense in total was vastly improved over the previous 2 games, secondary included. They missed a few tackles, but overall played much better.

kureader 6 years, 9 months ago

I can't agree. 5 turnovers. They played great in the red zone. They're much improved.

However, TCU was 24 for 30. You gotta question our defensive game plan (as you said). We conceded the 8 yard pass ... all day long. They kept taking it, and we never did adjust. We played way too soft on the corners. I also wonder about our play calling on offense. On more than one occasion, we gave up on the run and threw long incompletions on short yardage plays.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 9 months ago

We have improved, but we don't have the speed in the secondary yet. As far as cushion that is typical of zone coverage, but we are improving defensively

79ictjhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

While one should never be satisfied with a loss - this team is improving - which is why HCCW was hired. Hopefully we can get a 2nd win next week.

jayhawkintexas 6 years, 9 months ago

Pretty much what I expected so far this year. KU is better than in the past two years but the talent is not there for the wins. The only disappointment is that Crist appears to be way overhyped. I wonder if Coach Charlie has a package for Cummings to come in and present a running qb threat along with a running threat. Would seem to be a logical move.

vd 6 years, 9 months ago

No doubt about it, 1-2 is better then 2-1.

blindrabbit 6 years, 9 months ago

No doubt now why Crist did not make it at Notre Dame; guy just does not have game sense. Why keep playing him; start using one of the back-ups, don't know which one. I thought that Crist would allow KU to get a few of wins under it's belt and transition in a QB; but now, don't see any advantage to continuing the pain.

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

There were 3 blatant erroneous calls in the second half that made a difference in momentum. One was on a big play by TCU where the offensive linemen had the jersey of our defender completely stretched out right in front of the ref. No call.

What was worse was the call against MacDougald. That basically tells our defenders, just let him get the ball and get 30 more yards!

And then the missed PI's. They were numerous.

All that said, we had opportunities to score. Our kick return team needs work and if they get the ball in the endzone, just DOWN IT. It's at the 25 yard line this year on touchbacks.

But still, that call against MacDougald and that holding call were on the same drive. Blatant disregard of the rules by the refs.

Don't tell me they don't bet on the games. Someone should be axed over that, no matter who the call favors.

Brian Skelly 6 years, 9 months ago

Im starting to think that the "Decided Schematic Advantage" decided against making the journey to Lawrence with Charlie.

I got a great idea. Next time lets not rush the ball at all in the 2nd half and have Dayne Crist win us the game. Oh. Wait. Never mind.

AirCapJay 6 years, 9 months ago

KU had one good offensive push in the second half. Looked like Crist and Weis knew what they were doing. Too bad they had to settle for a FG on that one.

Chris1955 6 years, 9 months ago

Watching Crist is like watching the second coming of Chris Sims when was the QB for the Longhorns. He looks uptight no matter what the play is. Unfortunately, I doubt Charlie will play Cummings regardless of how bad Crist performs.

The defense played better, but the 4 turnovers makes it look better than it really is.

lama 6 years, 9 months ago

Meh. Did some good things. Hopefully they can win next week and surprise a couple of teams in the league.

TulsaJayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

I am very proud of the players. They didn’t quit and made plays on defense. The offense was not given an opportunity to win the game. Why not keep running the ball?

rukidding 6 years, 9 months ago

Man this is tough. Listening to everyone talk like losing is OK. 5 pts. or 35 pts. a lose is a lose when you're trying to win.

Maybe this just shows what type of program we've always had.

Eric Dawson 6 years, 9 months ago

Not at all. It shows a realization by many reasonable fans -- who most definitely want KU to win -- of the type of program we had the last two years, that Gill left little well trained talent behind, that the late start and the Gill legacy minimized a lot of recruiting options for this season, and that Weis & Co are playing their hands this season with at best 3/4 of a deck instead of a full 52. You don't expect your kid to run before he can walk, and that's were KU football is right now, learning to walk. Nothing good comes out of continually harping on the negatives while failing to recognize where progress is being made. Is losing satisfactory? Not at all. Yeah, this is tough, but this team is making progress, and that keeps the spark of hope alive. When that spark dies, why bother? So we refuse to kill it by focusing solely on the fact that KU lost. Got to have a positive mental attitude, or nothing else matters.

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, we want KU to win. This team is improving. We know that maybe you weren't paying attention the past few years. I was completely beside myself that Turner Gill was allowed to finish the season last year. We could have brought in high school coaches and done better last year.

Robert Brown 6 years, 9 months ago

I guess there is improvement. Time will tell. I really believe the offense was better last year. I guess the game was competitive. When you are two scores down, you always have a chance. I'm not sure this game is much different than, say, last year's Baylor game.

I know a lot of people will point to the turnovers and for this team to be competitive, it needs to force turnovers, but the defense still gave up 500 yards and there are other offenses in the Big 12 that are more prolific than TCU. There were some opportunities in the second half where KU gave up big plays on third and long to keep a drive alive that ended up in a score that put KU behind by 11.

Right now, I would not grade Weis's play calling very high. He tries to be too clever and thinks he can outsmart his opponents. Florida's offense last year was very pedestrian under Weis's leadership.

I not ready to jump off a cliff, but my concern when Weis was hired was that KU was trying to make headlines and hired someone whose track record in college isn't very good. I like everything Weis did in off season, but after the first three games, I am disappointed.

Brandon Pope 6 years, 9 months ago

This game definitely makes me very hopeful for a road W next week. Honestly, if we can play this way against TCU I like out chances of hanging in with anyone else in the big 12 and surprising a couple of them. Still voting for 3-4 wins this year.

Chayse Patrick 6 years, 9 months ago

If Crist gets drafted by an NFL team then next year I'm walking on for ku football and I'm 52 years old. LOL The first game or 2 Crist blamed being rusty as the problems, as for game 3 excuses I haven't heard yet. Could it be he just flat out sucks????? I really expected more.....within reason but 4 wins wasn't too much to expect was it??? It is now.

BearfishRob 6 years, 9 months ago

Play calling was awful at times, the 4th and 1 play-action boot made me want to scream. Why didn't we run the ball at all in the second half? I'm sure our two stud runningbacks are wondering the same thing. Crist is mediocre at best right now, he completed some great passes, yet threw us out of this game. It's good to see that our line can give our qb 6-7 seconds to throw but he refuses to get rid of it. We run the ball the second half we probably score. Hurts to watch Pierson and Cox sit in the back field why we throw it every down. Charlie needs to redeem himself in the play calling after today in my opinion.

Tony Bandle 6 years, 9 months ago

• Didn't attend, see or listen to the game but by reading all these posts it appears there were two games going on simultaneously.

• BAD NEWS we lost, GOOD NEWS we weren't blown out.

• BAD NEWS we didn't score much, GOOD NEWS we moved the ball.
  • BAD NEWS we tackled poorly, GOOD NEWS forced three more turnovers.

Last season, there wasn't any GOOD NEWS, so maybe we should ride this season out and see what happens and if the best we can do is improve to the point where we are at least competitive....so be it!!

nuleafjhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Oak - I listened to the first quarter on the radio and was pleased. Not doing cartwheels or anything, but at least we were competitive. I still would like to see them utilize the running game more, I'm more comfy with the ball in the hands of the RB's than the QB. I'm just not seeing a big-time quarterback in this young man. I hope he's a slow starter and proves me wrong.

In my opinion, what's going to hurt us the most this year is the kicking game. It ain't good.

Looks like we're making improvements. No 50+ point blowouts yet. Hopefully not at all. RCJH

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

Dayne Crist is pretty much like a guy that is coming back from an injury, except for one thing. All new players around him, and he got the shaft at ND. He only started there 8 times, and that was mostly because he was injured and 2. New coach didn't even give him a chance to settle in.

He through some bad throws yesterday, but we had plays that our guys just didn't catch the ball too and the one to Omigie where if he had just took one more step to the outside before turning it up and he scores.

It isn't fair to expect Crist to be the savior after the last two seasons, but he threw the ball much better yesterday.

There were two other perfectly thrown balls that the receivers didn't catch inside the 10 yard line, both would have resulted in at least 10 points, plus Omigie's.

But it was also those plays that allowed TCU to eventually get the ball back.

It's going in the right direction. TCU is a legit top 15 team in this country. We have a chance to get to 4 or 5 wins still this year.

Brian Skelly 6 years, 9 months ago

Not running the ball more in the 2nd half was huge problem in my estimation. Yes, I appreciate that with 6-7 minutes left we had to throw it. But we never tried to sustain the run prior to that at all in the 2nd half. And considering the best thing we seem to have going for us is our run game it just makes me wonder what the hell we're running on offense.

Crist is alarmingly mediocre. All of this isnt entirely his fault. Our WR core strikes me as small and slow. I thought I TE's were supposed to be good to? Ehh.

Better than last year. Yep. Much better? Ehh.

danmoore 6 years, 9 months ago

Backup quarterback is the most popular guy in town.

I was more disappointed in the receivers than the qb. I think Dayne will find more success if he throws the short pass more and stops looking downfield so often.

shelleysue 6 years, 9 months ago

I never really did understand why so many KU fans were over the moon about Weiss and Crist. I didn't want to pass judgement so I simply remained optimistic. I still don't understand except now there's even more I don't understand.

fu7il3 6 years, 9 months ago

I didn't really understand either. Neither of them were successful at Notre Dame. If they aren't successful in a place with better recruits, they aren't likely to be successful here. People have way too high of expectations about both of them.

99yard_run 6 years, 9 months ago

shelleysue, I was very jaded on the Weis hire initially having drunk the ND kool-aid when he was hired there, determined not to be burned again.

Agree on play calling today (why throw?) but I'll tell you the way the boys flew around the field today, the hitting, we were hitting them hard, has me optimistic. America is the land of second chances, I'm hoping Weis makes most of his.

shelleysue 6 years, 9 months ago

The #1 thing for me was the hope that Weis had something to prove and was going to do just that. For an offensive mind I'm a bit disappointed. I get why he felt Crist was the best chance. But now I think he at least needs to look at another option.

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, 3 games into the first season, and I remember the loss to ND States. This isn't like the first 3 games the past two years. I think maybe you need to study a little more of what happened the last two years.

flyingfinn 6 years, 9 months ago

We stay competetive and thats a positive but QB play is killing us. This guy is suppose to be a 5 star player....I have not seen it. I know he had a lot of yards today but that was very mis-leading when he has a chance to make a big play he doesn't.

fu7il3 6 years, 9 months ago

Five start recruits out of high school are like first round draft picks in the NFL. Some bust. People need to stop worrying about what Crist did in high school. High school isn't college.

Eric Dawson 6 years, 9 months ago

And yet Crist is playing while the guy who quarterbacked last year's National JUCO Champions has not seen a snap, and is listed 3rd on the depth chart behind a RS freshman who supposedly is a dual-threat QB.

I understand Weis going with Crist early, and I like everything about Crist aside from his gameday performance. BUT -- if the offense repeatedly fails to get into the endzone, there will come a time when you have to roll the dice and try someone else. I just don't know if Weis can do that.

vd 6 years, 9 months ago

And the coach ran off the returning 2 year starter, by declaring him the 2nd string QB.

Mike Barnhart 6 years, 9 months ago

It's rare that a kicking game is so bad that it figures prominently in the game plan but that's what we've got! Consistent kickoffs to the 20 yard line and 30 yard punts are killers! Then, you've got to get inside the 20 to even attempt a field goal. I guarantee you, kicking this bad affects play calling on both sidelines!

It's time for an open tryout on campus. There has got to be someone in Lawrence that can kick a ball.

Two more negatives: Our receivers are slow and we can't tackle!

On the bright side: Grunhards guys are "killing it" and our running backs are studs!

shelleysue 6 years, 9 months ago

I have to agree about our kicking game. It's just not good.

jhox 6 years, 9 months ago

Refs didn't beat us but that's as poorly called of a college game as I've ever seen. That corner for them, number 2 had at least 4 or 5 interference penalties that were not called. On one he literally had our receivers jersey pulled a foot away from his body right by 2 refs. How on Earth was that not seen? A lot of the no calls were really costly (third down plays that could have kept our drives going or ended theirs). The better team won today, but they did get a lot of unearned love from the officials. If I was Weis, I'd have a video made of the blown calls and send it to the head of officiating.

Robert Brown 6 years, 9 months ago

Weis would be better served to evaluate his play calling. The play calling in the second half was either arrogant or desperate.

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

It was bad play calling, but there were some plays called where it wasn't just executed. 8 or 10 plays that were good plays, just weren't executed. Two screen plays to Pierson that were just thrown too hard. Take a little zip off, but there were other plays our guys should have caught the ball. The deep passes, Crist looked good on those. 2 of them were dropped and hit the hands of the receiver. Patterson's was a bit more difficult, but that is because of his size. If he was 2 inches taller that's first and goal and KU probably scores a TD there.

You can't have all of them back, but they proved they can pass the ball, they prove they can run the ball, now put them together and get the defense to play between the 40s like they did in the red zone, and we can win some games this year and put the league on notice for what is coming next year.

jhox 6 years, 9 months ago

The offensive line did a nice job of pass blocking today. I was critical of their pass blocking the last 2 weeks, so the least I can do is praise their pass blocking this week.

Crist threw some really nice passes today. Yes, there were a few stinkers too. He would have had a great day if our receivers had gotten some of the interference calls that they deserved.

This team is clearly improving, so I hope people show a little patience. We all knew going in that we were going to lose more than we win. I feel reasonably good about the direction this program is headed.

jumpinjayhawk 6 years, 9 months ago

Lucky TCU had fumble idis or it would of been ugly. This team has no hope of another win.

Steve Reigle 6 years, 9 months ago

Looked to me like in the second half it was decided we're not going to win, so let's let fly with the passing game and see if we can get some wrinkles ironed out. Sounds like an excellent coaching decision, given the state of this game and our needs for the future.

rawheadrex 6 years, 9 months ago

Rome wasn't built in a day; neither will a new KU football program. The veal scallopini is better in Rome than in Lawrence, but the pizza is better, at least at the Hideaway Inn. That should tell how long it has been since I have been in Lawrence. Start with pizza and build to scalloipini. Don't expect miracles overnight. I enjoyed the scallopini at Tres Scalini Ristorante in Roma in August, 1960. Pizza at H/A I in 1965-66.

JayHawk_from_SWKS 6 years, 9 months ago

Some of these comments tell me many KU "fans" don't understand games involving balls that aren't round. If you can't see obvious improvement, or realize that Crist can't both throw and catch the passes, then you need more psychological help than is humanly possible to provide. We played hard against a top 25 team and held them to 20 points. Never would have been possible last year.

esque 6 years, 9 months ago

This team could and perhaps should be 3-0 which everyone here would be ecstatic with. I place the blame squarely on Weis' broad, rounded shoulders. His stubborn ego has cost the team the Rice game as well as any hope of capitalizing on all the opportunities TCU offered KU to take over control of the game.

I can recall at least five opportunities handed to KU by TCU which Kansas did not seize upon and it all starts with Weis' play calling--meaning his stubborn insistence on forcing Crist to try to win games by throwing the ball when they clearly should be running the ball and finding the creativity to get the ball to Pierson in space. Crist is inaccurate, immobile and indecisive, a deadly trifecta when it comes to the QB position. The bad news is that he will not look at Cummings or Baty unless Crist can't limp his soft ass out onto the field.

Another bad hire, just like Gill.

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

If you say, "just like Gill", you'll never have any credibility from me.

esque 6 years, 9 months ago

The good news is I'm not seeking any validation or credibility from you.

esque 6 years, 9 months ago

jayhawkingx1973,

The good news is I'm not seeking any credibility or validation from you.

99yard_run 6 years, 9 months ago

esk - I think 73 likes arguing with himself..

Micky Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

I remember the pregame speech that the KU player gave in the locker two seasons ago before the Georgia Tech game. Those players showed heart that day, but it wasn't the coaches that day. Those players left everything they had on the field and won. But nothing changed by Gill from week to week, and a full year later the KU players looked completely as if they didn't want to be there. There is a big difference between Weis and Gill. Weis is way beyond Gill's league in every way.

Kenneth Hillman 6 years, 9 months ago

I've got to show some support for our Hawks. It was not a perfect game and I would say we're fooling ourselves if we expected one. At times the play calling was not perfect but I was pleased with a lot if it. The receivers made some good plays and also dropped some balls. Crist still isn't firing on all cylinders but did get it going better and I saw some confidence brewing. I was surprised at how slow he is though. Defense is definitely a bend but don't break defense and the turnovers helped. At times during the game I didn't think we could stop anybody but then at other times I was truly impressed. Running backs and o line are solid. The refs were f'n terrible in this game but I would love to see us not using that as an excuse. I'm proud of our Hawks and see improvement in every respect. Look, we are still figuring things out and when we do in the next couple games, I think we'll all be proud. We just have to continue improving in all facets, which is what we're asking for at this point, and we'll get the w's everybody is hoping for. My two biggest beefs are take Beshears off the field (horrible return decisions) and get somebody who can kick it in the end zone.

RCJH