Back to game coverage

Baylor at Kansas coverage

Baylor defeats Kansas, 81-72

• 6:30 p.m., March 9, 2012
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

FINAL: Baylor knocks off Kansas, 81-72

Baylor's Brady Heslip hit two critical three-pointers in the final 2:05, helping Baylor hold off Kansas in an 81-72 victory on Friday night in the semifinals of the Big 12 tournament in Kansas City, Mo.

KU trailed by as many as 14 in the second half before using a 23-7 run to take a 58-56 lead with 10:18 left.

The Bears answered with a 25-12 spurt to end the game, which included Heslip's threes that pushed BU's lead from three with 2:03 left to seven.

Tyshawn Taylor led KU with 20 points. Thomas Robinson contributed 15 points and nine rebounds, while Elijah Johnson also added 15 points.

Perry Jones III led Baylor with 18 points and seven rebounds.

KU (27-6) will learn its destination in the NCAA Tournament on Sunday.

Comments

Ryan Mullen 7 years, 11 months ago

Baylor may end up a 2 seed. We could have 3 2 seeds out of our conference.

Mandie Eutsler 7 years, 11 months ago

It's funny that all week we were a lock for a 1 seed. Now not so sure, but we have played a way tougher schedule that mizzou or baylor so I fail to see how Mizzou can steal it from us.

lurkerhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I'd be very very surprised if Mizzou gets our 1 seed.

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

Hate to say it, but MU could do more with our 1 seed this year than we could: EM-BEAR-ASSING.

WichitaRaider 7 years, 11 months ago

Just wish Conner Farokhmanesh showed up for us tonight

Lance Cheney 7 years, 11 months ago

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. And now he'll go 1 for 11 tonight against mizzoo, and Jones will have 6 points. They'll get handled by at least 15. I hope I'm wrong; I'd love to see them beat the mizzouchebags tonight.

Mike Barnhart 7 years, 11 months ago

Gonna' be some intense practices this week!

Hank Cross 7 years, 11 months ago

I'll never cheer for UT. They have the dirtiest hands in realignment. It wasn't MU. MU is an irrelavant afterthought. Yes, Muck Fizzou, but F' DeLoss Dodds and UT too.

ahpersecoachingexperience 7 years, 11 months ago

And Ken Starr should threaten to sue whoever made those uniforms!

Mark Hopkins 7 years, 11 months ago

Mmhawk Mmhawk

scott needs to lay off the crack pipe!

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

The way to look at this game is that they just barely beat us when we were shooting 15% from trey.

On a regular night, we take them three straight, and they know it.

What they can take heart in is that the finally did not fold under our pressure.

And we never could control the boards.

Both our bigs got gassed from all the constant contact.

I think Self waited too long to go to his guards. Tyshawn and EJ are just to long and fast for their guards, but Self kept trying to work it into the bigs. But the bigs just did not have it tonight.

Tough, tough loss.

But also, not the end of the world.

The real war is next.

WichitaRaider 7 years, 11 months ago

Good points...but what can you do when your shots don't fall? Tonight was a rare aberration...

Robert Murphy 7 years, 11 months ago

The bad news we lost to Baylor. The good news we don't have to play Missouri.

FLJHK 7 years, 11 months ago

Give credit to Baylor. They outplayed us tonight and deserved to win. But conference tourneys have little predictive value as regards the NCAA tourney. I remain quite bullish about our prospects.

Still, it would taste good to see MU lose tonight or tomorrow.

lurkerhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Block out Block out Block out! Hustle Hustle Hustle! Board Board Board!

We'll be fine. :)

Mark Hopkins 7 years, 11 months ago

it would suck if missery wins their last big 12 tournament.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

After watching Scottie almost blow the game, then run up and want to shake Self's hand after running from him the last two losses, I will cheer for MU, if Texas can't take care of the MU.

Scottie has good players that he has instilled almost know confidence in.

They were standing around the whole game wondering if they could do it...waiting for KU to expose their coach for the pantywaist he is again.

But KU ran out of gas and the Failor players decided, well, what the heck, I guess we can win this even without a coach.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

Post Script: Did you notice how much Scottie wanted to shake Self's hand and chat after the win, but the little piss ant tried to run by Self both times he lost in the conference season?

Scottie is twit and everyone knows it.

Scottie coaches without a pair.

It will get him 9 times out of 10.\

Heck, I'll be rooting against him the rest of the way.

rockchalkxii 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, at the very least the last time we played Mizzery was a win. And HOOK EM HORNS (feels so weird to say that).

Mark Hopkins 7 years, 11 months ago

i agree jaybate so i guess i'll be pulling for TU.

Mark Hopkins 7 years, 11 months ago

i agree jaybate so i guess i'll be pulling for TU.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm already looking for something burt orange to wave during this next game. :-)

David Leathers 7 years, 11 months ago

Are you drunk tonight? burt orange? "...almost know confidence in."

WTH Jaybate? You're supposed to be my hero!!

Gregory Newman 7 years, 11 months ago

Ive been saying it all season EJ and REL needs to dribble drive to force their man to play defense. They both have been getting burnt with guards busting threes in their face.

EJ and REL have always has the match-up. You make them play defense they have no legs to make those jumpers. If Ej and REL do not shoot those mid-range jumpers they might get to the sweet 16.

Dribble drive with pull-up 7-14 mid-range jumpers they are National Champs because that open ups for lobs.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

If Mizery wins tonight my nightmare scenario comes true - Baylor vs. Mizery for the tournament title. Just the thought of it is making my head hurt.

WichitaRaider 7 years, 11 months ago

At least the Baylor fan contingent was so small that when they rushed the court, it just looked like the equipment kids were collecting their gear!

jayhawkarmy 7 years, 11 months ago

Orange got beat, so what if mizzou gets beat? Does ku get a 2 seed still?

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

Get a 2 seed still? We were in line for a 1 seed. At worst this loss drops us to a 2 seed. From the seeding standpoint, it's not the end of the world.

jhox 7 years, 11 months ago

Poor defensive rebounding and poor 3 point shooting...

Our inability to hit 3's is going to be our Achilles heel in the tournament. Self needs to start making it an annual priority to recruit at least one consistent 3 point shooter.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

In his defense he did recruit one, but BMac was declared ineligible.

Yesterday we shot 10-15 from trey. Just two extremes of the spectrum., we're a decent shooting team for the most part. Not as good as yesterday, not as bad as today.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, we did shoot 67% from trey the previous game.

I don't recall teams that can keep up that percentage, do you?

wisjayhawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

Baylor played a great game tonight. not too upset with the loss. i will take a 2 seed. keep us under the #1 radar. just regroup, play good b-ball and sneak into the final 4

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

I could honestly care less about this loss. We won the Big 12, the tourney is just for a bubble team to solidify its cause. Scott Drew not so horrible now aye?

wisjayhawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

i havent been too impressed with ku as a number one seed in the past couple of years anyway. will take a new path this year

PhogAdvisory 7 years, 11 months ago

Just a few thoughts on an annoying (but not all that troubling) game:

~I don't like that we looked like we didn't care, but hell, I didn't really care, either. I can't really be mad at the players for looking the way I felt.

~If this means we're doomed in the NCAAs, then Syracuse must be REAL screwed. At least we lost to the #11 team in the country.

~Give Baylor some credit today, too. They finally played to their potential, especially from three-point land.

~When in doubt, blame those new uniforms. They simultaneously blinded our shooters and camouflaged theirs. Not cool.

~I have absolutely no problem with a 2-seed. In fact, I'm kinda hoping for it. Take the pressure off our shoulders and put a chip on them instead.

~This team seems to play better with negative reinforcement. This game could end up being a blessing in disguise, just like that B12 loss in the '02-'03 season was.

~My expectations for this team at the beginning of the season were the same as they were for 2009: Big XII conference champs and a Sweet 16. Do I think we have the potential to go farther than that? Yes. Have I adjusted my expectations? Not really. I'll consider this a very successful season if we make it out of the first weekend. Everything else is icing on the cake.

RCJH as always, gang. We'll see what Selection Sunday brings. Either way, be seeing you all next week.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

I only cared indirectly. I don't want Mizery walking out the door with any hardware, and Baylor is poised to take their mantle as my most hated team in the conference. That was as much my motivation for me wanting the guys to win today as anything.

Agree with pretty much everything else you said.

Pitthawk34 7 years, 11 months ago

We deserve a #2 and really not a huge difference from a 1 to a 2. Last year it really did not help us. The way we are playing Fizzou would have open looks all night so it was for the best in my mind. Nothing like a loss right before the tourney to piss the guys off. Now if Texas wins tonight I will go back to being pissed.

MrPilot 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't like to see us lose, but in the grand scheme of things, this game isn't that big of a deal. For KU, the Big12 tournament is kind of a waste of time. It's hard playing 3 games in a row, and with our lack of depth, two games in a row had the boys exausted at the end of the game here. At least in the NCAA tournament you get a day of rest in between.

Regardless, let Baylor have their night of glory, and I hope they win tomorrow, hopefully against Texas.

I'm happy with either a #1 or a #2 seed come Sunday. This team has done so much with this "down" year. Potentially the National POY AND the Cousey Award winner on the same team? Bring on the Madness!

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

wisjayhawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

couldnt have said it better myself. rock chalk!!!!

rob4lb 7 years, 11 months ago

I didn't watch the second half but the energy did not seem there in the first half. i agree with some that a loss in the conference tournament is not that big of a deal. I think we will be OK if we make it past next weekend into the Sweet 16. That is what I hoped for at the beginning of the year and now the expectations are a bit higher.

If Baylor plays MU, I will cheer for Baylor. Here's hoping UT beats MU! Baylor is perfectly capable of beating MU if they play.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

As James Jones and Terrence Rattigan made clear, there is this Thin Red Line between the good guys prevailing and not, between good prevailing and not, inside us and outside us, between life and death in any activity.

Think about this: by the end of this evening, Scottie and Haith are probably going to be coaching in the conference tourney finals.

These are the two worst citizens our conference has to offer as coaches IMHO.

Its phenomenal how often weasels get in the spotlight, how often they ascend to prominence.

Scottie who appears to be a conniving little twit with reputedly dubious recruiting practices.

And Haith reputedly under allegations for recruiting improprieties and cell phone abuse.

Both in a championship game.

Like my late father used to say, turds float to the top in a milk pitcher, but they're still turds.

Onward to where the Grapes of Wrath are stored.

It never ends.

Never.

There is always another weasel that arises and needs defeating.

Come on, Rick Barnes, see if you can at least keep half the infidels out.

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

There is no one to blame but the team who showed up feeling entitled and left defeated (but still feeling entitled.) Jaybate, my friend, the trust fund babies of college basketball will treat us to nothing more than a short March. I've seen vastly less talented Jayhawk teams, but I have never seen less prideful ones.

fansincewilt 7 years, 11 months ago

If you get down you have to be able to hit some three's and we just could not hit them. Hopefully we have this out of our system. Next week the real season starts. A good seed helps but is no guarantee of anything. So far, it has been a really good season.

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone else think that T-Rob is hurt? He's loafing around the court like the last days of Patrick Ewing. I think his upper body got big too quick and it's taking a toll on his knees.

wisjayhawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

was wondering the same thing. looks like the long season is taking its toll on is legs. i hope not

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 11 months ago

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? He did not have a good game. Frankly, at times, he did not play within the concept of a team oriented game.

wisjayhawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

that is why i love college hoops. anybody can win the game, and numbers in front of teams dont mean that much anymore these days

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

Please remove your crimson colored glasses.

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

And Withey is invisible again. Things are not looking good.

JHawk06 7 years, 11 months ago

10point8 is a troll and negative Nancy..

look at previous posts

Orangedog87 7 years, 11 months ago

check out my post below with stats not just opinion and the troll thing...stupid

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

Nope. Just a life-long KU fan who has never had reason to challenge a KU team's pride and effort until this year. As a second-generation alum from the class of 99, I think I've earned the reason to be critical, thank you very much.

Who are you?

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

Who the hell are you, JHawk06? Some kid who graduated on '06?! You haven't suffered. You don't know anything.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Have you ever lived in poverty and watch thousands of kids die of starvation and starved yourself? That is suffering.

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

lol...now we're getting ridiculous. I think it's safe to say that everyone here takes this board in sports context. You're in the wrong room, Hawk90. You might feel more at home on csnbc.com, Bono. Enjoy.

JHawk06 7 years, 11 months ago

Ha, well you are obviously forgetting the fact that most of our early exits have come in the last couple of years..(while I was in school)

People are fans before the graduate by the way

DanR 7 years, 11 months ago

When this team cranks it up, they're unstoppable (especially Tyshawn and TRob).

They have to play 40 minutes per game from here out and not let those under 3 minute threes hurt us.

wisjayhawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

the lack of depth really hurts. averaging only about 4 points a game from our bench might prove costly

Mark Hopkins 7 years, 11 months ago

personally i think it would be better to play the bottom of the bench in the big 12 tourney and let the chips fall where they may. after all we won the regular season. We have almost nothing to gain and a better seeding to lose by trying to win the tournament. just the thoughts of a crazy old man!

Orangedog87 7 years, 11 months ago

Tehan took only 2 shoots in the game with no points but fouled a lot: when you are the first off the bench - what do you do to help this team?

He had 0 points, 1 assist, 1 rebound and 4 fouls...if this is what we get from the first person off the bench ... what do you think this means for the tourney?

Some say Tehan only shoots well in AFH ...so what does that mean for the tourney?

Withey...a lot of you think he has been great...but in this game 3/8 shooting (38%); 11 points (most in the first half); 5/7 free throws; 7 rebounds (about half in first half);

Withey maybe great but can KU win 6 games in a tourney when he produces those numbers

And seriously with Withey, TT took a foul at the basket trying to block a shot that Whitey did not even move to defend........so now TT is supposed to play defense on big men even though we have the 2nd best improved player in the big 12 (not TRob) who is a big man

Numbers wise not getting the optimistic future

Doug LeMoine 7 years, 11 months ago

+1 ... There is no positive in an apathetic late-season loss. This team showed absolutely no urgency tonight. Embarrassing.

Dave Benjamin 7 years, 11 months ago

I agree with quite a few people and say we were outplayed tonight by a team that wanted it more and simply had a better game. We'll be fine whether we're a 1-seed or a 2. It sucks that we lost our last crack at Missouri but it is what it is. On a positive note:
1. We have an extra day to rest. 2. We don't live in Waco 3. Dancing has been allowed at KU for MORE than 10 years. 4. Our school's winningest coach wasn't Dave Bliss.

justinryman 7 years, 11 months ago

KC missouri went from a dream scenario MU vs KU, and could end up with a nightmare TX vs BU.

I bet the SPrint center would only be about half full.

But without KU in the finals, I can enjoy my daughters 7th B-Day party.

Without MU in the finals I can enjoy my life!

skidawg 7 years, 11 months ago

The whole team choked tonight. Played like a bunch of slow weak grandmas. WHEN IS trOB GOING TO PLAY TO HIS strengths instead of going NBA trying to be Kobe and Lebron and globetrotting the ball down the court and jacking up 3pt shots and tossing the ball away. He needs to get down in the paint, rebound play some defense and score low post buckets!! He lacks discipline in key moments!! A little less mustard on the hpt dog please!!

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

MrPilot--

Some really creative stuff there--thanks! Rock Chalk!

Doug LeMoine 7 years, 11 months ago

There are no positives coming out of this game. Baylor played well for a total of about 20 minutes; the rest of the time, they were as lazy as we were. If anyone other than Ty would have showed even half of a nutsack, we would have stuck it to them even when we couldn't get anything to fall.

And what's with the body language? TRob was totally apathetic. He was almost always late with defensive help, and slow on to the basket on offense. How many of fouls came because he was slow staying with his guy? Wesley was absolutely hopeless. Absolutely hopeless. He has regressed this year, I don't know how, but he is worse than he was early on. As usual, Releford was solid for stretches and lost for stretches, but holy cow that guy has missed more shots from under three feet than anyone in Division 1 history. And I'll say this again: If Threehan can't knock down the couple of open shots he gets, why is he out there? And Withey? Baylor killed us on the boards, and not just because they were getting long rebounds. Acy was everywhere, and the guy is good, of course, but he's not that good. Just an absolutely horrible showing.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

When you say there are no positives coming out of this game you show 2 things.

1. Your just a cry baby who forgets the journey because of a irrelevant loss in a irrelevant tourney.

2. You know nothing about sports when you think nothing good can come from a loss.

Chris Corley 7 years, 11 months ago

Hmmm...actually he's not saying that nothing good can come out of a loss, just that nothing good can come out of this loss.

And I find it comical that some people on this board think that if you criticize the team you are not a fan. That's hilarious.

Grow up, Bono.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

'Your just a cry baby who forgets the journey because of a irrelevant loss in a irrelevant tourney.'

The tourney winner gets the automatic bid...hardly irrelevant.

Doug LeMoine 7 years, 11 months ago

Oh give me a break, dude. Of course you can try to "build on a loss." I was just saying that there wasn't much in that game to call positive. Also, I'll quote HCBS's post-game presser: "Average energy, we let them pass wherever they want to, we never dictated defensively, crappy traps on the post, not paying attention to the scouting report."

Yeah, like I said.

jcw3691 7 years, 11 months ago

Teahan's missed wide open three was the dagger.

Ryan Mullen 7 years, 11 months ago

Coach Self pretty much said on Hawktalk the other night he could care less about the Big 12 tournament. Everybody on this team is focused on the Big Dance. I know Self wanted to win this game but still I don't think he is in the locker room chewing guys out tonight. I think he sees the benefit in getting a 2 seed in the best bracket and getting an extra days rest.

Doug LeMoine 7 years, 11 months ago

I normally wouldn't doubt anything he says, but that's BS. We looked terrible, and we got beat bad. No shame in getting beat if you leave it all out on the court, but we showed absolutely no passion at all. Can't see how that's a good way to go into the Big Dance.

wildjayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

This was embarrassing. Coach of the year and his team loses another one. Drew should be coach of the year. This was just horrible but it true on how this team played all year. KU was lucky to win the games they did. Poor recruiting and coaching by Self. Next year doesn't look much better with Tharpe as a point guard. Just wonder when KU will choke in the tournment, probably to Bucknell again.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

What's embarrassing is your post. Drew should be coach of the year? All of your credibility just flew out the window.

Judging by the rest of your post, and the fact that you've had an account here for less than a full season, you're probably a troll. Sucks to be you!

Dave Benjamin 7 years, 11 months ago

Good Lord. Good to see this site doesn't attract over-dramatic, unreasonable fans with no immediate plans to potentially throw themselves off a bridge at every sign of adversity.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

Now I know you're lying. We killed Baylor twice during the regular season when we were actually trying to win the league, so there's no way you bet your mama's trailer lot money on them. Sucks to be a troll!

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

We won the reg season, the title that actually matters

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

Good game against Texas missouricat. Beating Baylor 3 times in one season isn't easy.

Just wondering..how many Big 12 championships have you guys won? Reg season or tourney?

Chayse Patrick 7 years, 11 months ago

KU had nothing to gain in this tourney. I'll take a league ring any day over a Big 12 tourney ring. I still see us as a 2 seed which is fine with me. I don't like the 1 seed jinx and even though a 1 never lost to a 16 anything is possible. After losing 80% of our offense from last year, winning an 8 straight Big 12 title by 2 games and THEN working our way to a top 5 team and probably a 2 seed is still a hellava year!!!! Great job guys ROCK CHAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm sorry but the tourney winner gets the automatic bid and this year maybe a 1 seed. I think that's worth playing for.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

We still have a good shot at a one seed. But honestly it doesn't matter. To be a 1 or 2 after this season is huge.

Hank Cross 7 years, 11 months ago

Don't care about this loss. Baylor's a good team and we won't get worse than a 2. We may even keep a 1. Most important thing is we escaped with no injuries and got a wake up call.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 11 months ago

It never ceases to amaze me all the band wagon fans coming out of the woodwork to criticize KU. People that have rarely seen post suddenly become the board oracles. KU did not play a good game, Baylor did and won. Get overt it already! According to most sports analysts. the NCAA puts little weight on the results of the post-season conference tournament. The results of the regular season carry most of the weight. KU and Syracuse lost but will likely keep their #1 seed. Worst case we drop to a #2 seed; not bad for a rebuilding year. If We were going to lose a game. must as well do it before the big dance and preferably not to Missouri. One good thing that the team has hopefully learned is that it can come back from big deficits, They did it against MU and, if not for a couple of 3s, they could have won this game as well. This might come handy in the Big Dance.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

Amen!

Loved "the board oracles" comment!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't think a single KU player had a good game..and we still came back strong. Still, MU winning the Tourney doesn't sit well. Go Baylor.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

It's frustration..I've been guilty as well. Now I usually wait a few days. Most of these posters will regret their comments.

Doug Fisher 7 years, 11 months ago

A typical Self-coached Kansas team save for 2008: Overachievers during the regular season but chokers when it comes to tournament time. I'm looking for KU to choke in a 1st or 2nd round loss to another yet unknown mid-major. It's become too typical now.

142466 7 years, 11 months ago

Let's hope tonight's game is a wake-up call. Far better to suffer it now than to get it in an NCAA 1st or 2d round game.

Mizzou looks like a #1 seed to me. I just call 'em as I sees "em. Perhaps Mizzou's best team ever, at least in the 60+ yrs that I've witnessed the proceedings. It'll be either them or Mich St. The Tigers remind me of Wooden's first 2 UCLA title teams, Walt Hazzard (aka Abdul Rockman) & Gail Goodrich. A well oiled machine.

KU has already exceeded expectations. We should still land in a regional sans the Cuse & Kentuck. If so, we've been hurt only slighly by the Baylor bust, even on paper. 30 Jayhawk wins would be great. Beyond that, delicious frosting.

The NCAA never should have allowed any post-season league tournaments, ever. Win or lose, yesterday, today, and for all time, They're an insulting rip-off. Several decades ago, the ACC was the only major league to play one. The ACC tourney winner went on to the NCAA. All other ACC teams went home. S. Car., under Frank McGuire, became so disgusted with the arrangement that he persuaded the "Cocks to exodus the ACC.

Scrap all post-season league tourneys. Scrap 2 of the early season non-league patsy opponents. Then we can have all BCS leagues play a complete 22 game league round robbin, (BXII will soon return to 12 members soon, to keep up with the other BCS conferences). Automatically award the top 6 seeds in the NCAA field of 64 to the 6 BCS champs.

Prior to 1972, or so; far, far too much weight was attached to league championships when filling the NCAA tourney field. Today NCAA BB has swung too far to the other extreme. The NCAA should adopt my proposal, thereby restoring the rightful prestige of regular season league championships, while still inviting 58 other teams to the dance. A better, brighter, world.

But some may deride my idea as a wild dream. Some may retort, "The NCAA possesses no such whip to crack at insolent league bureaucracies." Right now, maybe so. But when round 2 of the realignment fight commences, fear of federal intervention may force the BCS league offices to play ball. Barrack O plays ball.

plynn 7 years, 11 months ago

Can anybody over there sell me tickets for tomorrow's game? Go Mizzou!!!

mispayku 7 years, 11 months ago

Go, Baylor! I'm pretty sure I'll never say that again.

Brian Skelly 7 years, 11 months ago

Ah yes, the naysayers pop out after we lose to a top 10 team that has several NBA 1st rounders on it. The horror. Sarcasm for those who havent figured it.

That said, ive felt all season -- at least the last 2/3rds of the conference season -- that you live dangerously when you have no real scoring threats past our top 2 guys. Now, lots of teams would love to have the problem we have with Taylor and Robinson. But in reality, we have no idea what Johnson is going to do from game to game. Withey, while clearly improved isnt strong enough physically to do much other than play off of Robinson... which he has done at times, but isnt doing it regularly. This just doesnt strike me as a recipe for success when facing teams with comparable talent, thats all.

It kills me to say it, but I think Mizzou is in far better shape than we are for the tournament. Why? They have 3+ guys who can score regularly, and 2 more who are far more consistent than than our 4th,5th,6th guys. I do think a team with strong bigs could cause them problems, but how many teams out there are like that? Odds are they wouldnt face a team like that until the Sweet 16 or even Final Four. Im not saying they'll do that, and im certainly not saying we couldnt. I just think our lack of options past the first two guys on this team limits us.

142466 7 years, 11 months ago

I would tend to agree with you, even before tonight's proceedings commenced. But NBA poaching has so watered down the entire scene, that there are at least a dozen contenders for the title, including KU & Mizzou.

Mizzou's style of play makes them less vulnerable than us to mid-major assassination. KU's style of play makes us more competitive than Mizzou against the "hall of fame" programs. On paper.

Although I'm a Jayhawk, I'll be intensely following both teams. Step back from the border war enough to enjoy (secretly anyway) both teams' NCAA path. How much you or I applaud or boo either team will have no impact on any outcome. So just enjoy the unfolding spectacle.

texashawk10 7 years, 11 months ago

Maybe KU should wear those new Adidas uniforms. Worked for Baylor, Cincinnati, and Louisville tonight. Just thought I'd toss that one out there, and for the record I do think they are hideous looking, but the 3 teams wearing them aren't playing too bad right now.

plynn 7 years, 11 months ago

It was a great tournament, wasn't it? It's hard to figure out what coach meant when he said KCMo is more a KU/K-State town than an MU town. Can anybody help me with that?

By the way, the refs won the MU/KU game in Lawrence for KU. They gave KU 33 free throw attempts to MU's 18. Guess they couldn't allow MU to leave the Big 12 with a share of the title in their last year. I think KU fans know that MU could have won that game with fair officiating.

Go Mizzou!