Back to game coverage

Texas A&M at Kansas coverage

Kansas defeats Texas A&M, 83-66

• 2 p.m., March 8, 2012
  • Sprint Center, Kansas City, MO

FINAL: Elijah Johnson has career day, leads KU to 83-66 win over Texas A&M

Elijah Johnson scored a career-high 26 points on 8-for-11 shooting, leading the Kansas men's basketball team to an 83-66 victory over Texas A&M in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 tournament on Thursday at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

Johnson knocked down five of seven three-pointers to go with four assists, two steals, three rebounds and just one turnover.

Thomas Robinson contributed 19 points and 10 rebounds, while Tyshawn Taylor added 16 points with four assists and four turnovers.

Jeff Withey was the only other Jayhawk in double figures with 11 points. He also notched six rebounds and four blocks.

After making just four three-pointers in each of its two previous games against A&M, KU made 10 of 15 threes Thursday (67 percent).

The win advances KU to Friday's semifinals, where it will face fourth-seeded Baylor at 6:30 p.m.

Comments

Kye Clark 7 years, 4 months ago

EJ in the post-game interview with Holly saying he was away to deal with some family stuff. First I'm hearing of that. Hope all is well for the Prophet & his family. Great game today. Rock Chalk!

texashawk10 7 years, 4 months ago

He had to return home for his uncle's funeral.

Kye Clark 7 years, 4 months ago

Yeah I just heard Bill talking about it in his post-game press conference. The prayers of Jayhawk Nation are with you & your family EJ!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 4 months ago

Coach Knight never sounded better.....of course, I was online and not watching the telecast.

Phoghorn 7 years, 4 months ago

Nope President of the United States! I'm dead serious. She WILL be our first female president.

Rolland Remmert 7 years, 4 months ago

Comment of the day came from the ESPN studio group referring to the new Baylor Green....looks like a bunch of highlighters out there

jaybate 7 years, 4 months ago

Maguirej,

It has been for the worse.

I have already seen enough of the climate science debate to reach my conclusion.

The parametric data is all inconclusive, except for the fact that all of the planets in the solar system are warming.

The non parametric climate models correlate strongly with whom ever funds them.

I trust that all the planets in the solar system are warming, so earth must be too.

Its global cooling.

Then its global warming.

Then its global climate change, because the measurements indicate warming and cooling.

Robert Murphy 7 years, 4 months ago

Jaybate: I am shocked at your comments regarding climate change. You are a respected writer on this blog and many take your musings to heart.

Please, take the time to Go to the Ted talks and listen to real scientists discuss the issue. In particular, I recommend a talk by Dr. James Hansen. It's only about 17 minutes long.

When you have millions of gas engines and power plants all over the world spewing out carbon dioxide emissions by the millions of tons even common sense would indicate that this is not a good thing and it certainly cannot be accurately described as contributing a bit. Plus, scientists have been taking many measurements which are adding up to a pretty grim picture.

This is a vital issue to mans continuing survival and should be taken very seriously.

James McGuire 7 years, 4 months ago

I got the impression (and please correct me if I am wrong Jaybate) that he wasn't disputing the idea that humans have an impact on the global climate, but that the scientific models are not conclusive at this point in time. I think he was trying to emphasize the point that the models are only helpful to a point and in this situation they haven't been a great deal of help. Our planet's climate is such a complex system that it cannot be accurately modeled within the confines of our current understanding.

Not being a climate expert, I secede to the NAS (and global scientific community) and will agree with their conclusions. The vast majority of data collected in an unbiased manner suggest that humans have had an adverse affect on the environment and Earth's climate. What exactly that affect is is unknown and cannot be predicted with any certainty.

Jim Dickerson 7 years, 4 months ago

human respiration contributes approx 200 billion tons of CO2 to the atmosphere each year. Perhaps if we all quit breathing, the world would be better off.

Iandhi 7 years, 4 months ago

You are probably right. I'll stick around to see if it helps.

Hank Cross 7 years, 4 months ago

Like James Hansen doesn't have an ax to grind.

Hank Cross 7 years, 4 months ago

No it's not common sense. Common sense would tell you just the opposite. Go to Glacier Point in Yosemite. You won't see any glaciers there. In fact, no humans have b/c the glaciers that helped form Yosemite did their work and retreated without any human impact at all.

Natural forces have been in control of the Earth's climate long before man appeared - and until you rule them out - you can't state that man is the main cause of any warming. That's the Scientfic Method.

hawk_of_ages 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey, we can't know for sure, so let's just keep polluting.

James McGuire 7 years, 4 months ago

I wouldn't say it has been for the worse across the board. Judging solely from the climate science debate I would agree with you. As you said, the models have either been inconclusive or they have produced results that seem to have been bought.

Modeling algorithms for protein structure prediction and the development of advanced neural networks have been beneficial. Maybe not incredibly useful at this point, but advances are being made.

As for research folks not making claims beyond the range of what their data says: it would be very nice if all scientists adhered to that principle. However, in today's funding climate people are going to speculate as much as their data will allow them to (and in some cases more) in hopes of obtaining funding. I am not saying its right by any means, but when science becomes about business and politics all you are left with is an adulterated version of science. I don't think its that bad yet, but I feel we're headed that direction.

PS: Do you think discussions like the one we're having occur on other sports message boards? I am just a little blown away that during a live game blog we got caught up in a diatribe about statistics and scientific ethics.

Hank Cross 7 years, 4 months ago

"I have a hunch human beings are contributing a bit to the warming, but the science is not conclusive and I am tired of scientists trying to keep their grad students funded fibbing that it is.

Its global cooling.

Then its global warming.

Can't folks just do their research and quit making claims beyond the range of what the data can predict?"

Amen! Amen! Go where the data takes you, not where you want it to go. If you don't have enough evidence to make a conclusion, have humility and courage to say so.

hawk_of_ages 7 years, 4 months ago

Seeing Jaybate take up with the flat-earth crowd is really shaking my belief systems to the core. Maybe he's wrong about KU basketball too?

hawk_of_ages 7 years, 4 months ago

Seriously? It's the scientists who have an axe to grind? NOT the coal and oil industries? Gimme a break.

Robert Murphy 7 years, 4 months ago

Please explain why scientists using scientific methods have an axe to grind and those selling the products which are doing the polluting do not?

Our oil reserves took nature 2 million years to produce and they are our savings account. If you calculate the heat and pressure needed to produce these reserves at current rates for electricity the gas we are burning up is worth more than a million dollars per gallon We are about to plunder through it in a few hundred years toing and froing to our shopping malls, sporting events, and our non-wealth producing jobs while why we play the game of monopoly the winners of which are predetermined. WHAT ME WORRY?

Those of you who want sports talk only should relax and enjoy something worth thinking about for a pleasant change..

KGphoto 7 years, 4 months ago

That was the definition of a tune-up game. Struggle early, looking a little cold and lazy. Then you catch an earful of good coaching during a timeout and steadily tune-u, then rest some guys toward the end of an easy win.

I can't see how that doesn't lock up a #1 seed. Even if we face Misery and lose in the championship, it still means we've taken care of Baylor for a 3rd time and our SOS gets another shot in the arm.

Nick Cole 7 years, 4 months ago

I clicked on it, and here it is if you want a bigger picture of it. Enjoy.

It's Jessica Alba, btw.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 4 months ago

Hey Clay---

I was thinking the same thing. Perfect fit for Mizzou. Frank Haith feels right at home in Columbia. BTW, I clicked on your avatar several times----nice!!!!!!!!! Rock Chalk!

texashawk10 7 years, 4 months ago

Someone is trying to compete with my pic and is doing a pretty good job of it.

Mike Mainzer 7 years, 4 months ago

Awesome to see EJ light it up. The strength of the 08 team was their balanced attack and that any one of 5-6 players could hurt you and lead the team in scoring. To make it deep in March, EJ, Travis and Jeff have to garner respect from opposing D's or make them pay if they're not guarded closely. Great warm up game to dismiss any tourney butterflies.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 4 months ago

I had to work during the first half. I didn't make the live blog. I saw EJ having a career day. Wow! What got into him? I am not complaining, that's for sure. Just bad news for the Bad News Bears! Go get 'em, Jayhawks. Good luck with Baylor.

Phoghorn 7 years, 4 months ago

Really impressed with EJ today. Waiting to see if Coach Self will turn him loose against Baylor. Living and dying by the 3 is not really Coach Self's style, but it worked today for EJ.

Adam James 7 years, 4 months ago

Not to be overly critical, but Bob Knight knows absolutely nothing about KU or any other Big 12 team for as much time he spends doing our games. I was so annoyed by him talking about EJ coming off the bench. Does he even realize he starts and plays over 30min a game. Then he goes on to talk about our depth as a team and how that part of our team is underrated. This guy is the worst I have heard when it comes to College Basketball games, period!. Go Hawks!

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 4 months ago

Knight probably had a couple of swigs of Ole Jayhawk!

Robert Murphy 7 years, 4 months ago

Go on and be overly critical 1978 it's a free country and if you can't criticize our senior citizens who can you criticize? Without the play of Teehan, Young, and Wesley we definitely wouldn't be where we are. I guess paying these hard working Jayhawks a compliment, which is what Knight was doing, is just going too far. Why can't these old people shut up so we can spend more time reading your brilliant comments?

Jeffery Barrett 7 years, 4 months ago

Wow! I'll take one for the team and say........you, and Knight, are wrong.

Hank Cross 7 years, 4 months ago

Bob Knight was right about being against these stupid conference tourneys. There is no need whatsoever to play a team 3 times. It would be better to schedule two medium strength non-con opponents to warm up for the NCAA.

Steve Gantz 7 years, 4 months ago

Anyone concerned that our bench produced 4 points? We've managed all year which makes me believe we'll be fine, but a different set of officials, making calls that Big 12 officials wouldn't, and we could find ourselves in some foul trouble. (I'm referring to next week when we enter the Dance).

James McGuire 7 years, 4 months ago

I am not overly concerned. I started reading Beyond the Phog last night and in one of the early sections (Luke Axtell I think, but am not positive) he was talking about how most of the national championship teams over the past decade had a 6-8 man rotation. With Teahan, KY, and Wesley we would be at 8. Granted, they aren't consistent and don't produce a lot of points, but it made me feel better about our depth - or lack thereof.

Robert Murphy 7 years, 4 months ago

No, some of our players produced 4 points. Our bench can't produce points and by the way corporations aren't people. Money doesn't work hard or at all and pet rocks aren't real pets. Our language is so polluted it might be our most polluted resource outside of the media. Even our Supreme Catholic Political Court can't figure it out. I am sure sperm are about to be declared people that just haven't hooked up yet.

rockchalkxii 7 years, 4 months ago

Was at the game today...

1. Sprint Center is awesome, the tourney better stay here

2. Great job of Jayhawk Nation to show up and be loud today!

3. EEEEEEELIJAH JOHNSON

4. Baylor can be really good. can be

5. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

rockchalkxii 7 years, 4 months ago

1. I don't think I've ever seen a ball come completely come to a standstill on the rim. That was cool.

rockchalkxii 7 years, 4 months ago

Come completely come... I think the meth fumes from Mizzery are getting to me. Sorry for the comment spam lol.

KansasComet 7 years, 4 months ago

Taylor, Withey, Johnson, Robinson, and Releford are all capable of going for 20 points. That's a good problem to have. We will be okay. The starters have heart and the bench can steal minutes. Survive and advance. I have a feeling that we will need Tharpe, and he will not disappoint. Go Jayhawks!

2010jayhawk 7 years, 4 months ago

Today should why I believe EJ will be our guy next year! Loved his play today! His quote, "Put your shoes on!" was in full force today! Keep it up guys!

Here's the link to his quote. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVq-sB...