Back to game coverage

Kansas State at Kansas coverage

Kansas defeats Kansas State, 67-49

• 7 p.m., Jan. 4, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: Jayhawks use late second-half surge to pull away from Kansas State, 67-49

Travis Releford posted his first career double-double with 16 points and 11 rebounds, leading the Kansas men's basketball team to a 67-49 victory over No. 23 Kansas State on Wednesday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

KU held KSU to 32-percent shooting (18 of 57) while also limiting two of the Wildcats' greatest strengths: offensive rebounds and free throws.

KSU finished with just 12 offensive boards — its second-lowest total this season — and a 16 free throws — a season low.

Thomas Robinson added his own double-double with 15 points and 14 rebounds. Tyshawn Taylor notched 13 points to go with three assists and eight turnovers.

KU (11-3) will play at Oklahoma at 1 p.m. Saturday.

KU coach Bill Self press conference

Comments

tical523 9 years, 2 months ago

Great game from Releford, we won because of him.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 2 months ago

For the love of gawd get an hd camera in the field house.

Kent Wells 9 years, 2 months ago

Can't afford HD when you are paying 3 football coaches.

NH_JHawk 9 years, 2 months ago

Agree 100%. Rabbit ears deliver a better picture.

George Powell 9 years, 2 months ago

I was watching the game in HD. DishNetwork on channel 447 had the game in HD, best part, I did not have to pay for ESPN Fullcourt.

waywardJay 9 years, 2 months ago

Never have I seen more chilidish behavior than Reid Getty's from the announcer's Booth calling Tyshawn's "flagrant1"

I'm an ANnouncer! I'm right !

Kent Wells 9 years, 2 months ago

I agree. He just sounded like a tool/fool going on and on and on about that. Shut up already.

waywardJay 9 years, 2 months ago

Looked like Tyshawn was just wiping the sweat of the K-state player in question, and kid went at it like Manu Ginobili, covering his eye like he was afraid it would fall out had he moved his hand away.

That being said, the Hook tyshawn used after the fact that was NOT mentioned by Red Gettys or the official was an offensive foul

I'm a Board Rat! I'm Right !

Kent Wells 9 years, 2 months ago

That play was not all that Gettys was making it out to sound like.

And I"m right too!

brooksmd 9 years, 2 months ago

Me thinks another Big 12 POTW award for TRob is in the making. Great to see Releford show his stuff tonight. Turnovers, and I don't mean apple either.

tical523 9 years, 2 months ago

Hell of a run we went on when Taylor went out, we really needed that.

Gary Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

TT needs to stay on the bench. What a pathetic waste of talent that headcase is.

tical523 9 years, 2 months ago

I keep thinking it's going to click, then I remember you don't teach an old dog new tricks.

tical523 9 years, 2 months ago

The only run we needed, after he turned it over and had a cramp or something momentum changed dramatically and therefore the score. The announcers even noted the stats or score of the run with him on the bench (Gettys was a dick tonight), it was maybe an 11-3 run. I don't hate TT, just an observation that even the announcer referenced. We need him but just frustrating to watch sometimes.

Duane Rice 9 years, 2 months ago

Its going to be interesting to see this play out on the road, but ill enjoy this one tonight.

Duane Rice 9 years, 2 months ago

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 2 months ago

I know, right? We're only ranked 15, we have three whole losses coming into Big XII play, we only beat 3 of the 5 ranked teams we've played (GTown counts) and to make matters worse, we BARELY beat K-State at home by 18! Do you have any idea what we beat them by last year? 24! That's a whole 6-point difference!

This is real painful, marchphog. I dunno how us poor fans are gonna make it through the rest of the season.

Mike Kendall 9 years, 2 months ago

It wasn't a pretty win but we gutted it out in the end--hey, we're 1-0 in League--we have to protect our home court and we did that! Nice going, Jayhawks! K-State can't cry about this one. They have Mizzou in the Little Apple on Saturday. Would love to see them knock off the Tiggers.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk and good night!

Scott Smetana 9 years, 2 months ago

Nice try Wildcats. Now please pound Mizzery on Saturday.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

This is the kind of game Releford can play. Fighting for rebounds, hustling everywhere, great defense, and he asserted himself offensively. All while playing 30 minutes. Didn't seem tired or worn out by playing defense.

Just bad shot, after bad decision, after bad turnover from Taylor .. 3 airballs, 3 measly assists .. Self only yanked him once reacting to poor play. But what is he supposed to do? He's put up with it and enabled it. And heck, I'm becoming convinced that Self actually likes his style of play. Meaning, he has some quiet, deep down love for the out of control player -- kind of a "thank you sir may I have another" kind of thing. I don't know. The turnovers are just something we may not be able to overcome with this team as the season progresses. We can't consistently win without Taylor playing well; can we really expect anything in March with this team so reliant on Taylor as a centerpiece, as opposed to a cog?

But regardless of the TT negatives, the dude can slash. An enigma.

Liked Withey's aggressiveness on the boards. Could really see a difference. And did you see the nice post up on the near block in the first half with the finish? If he can get position, he's pretty smooth with the ball in his hands.

TRob is an All-American; he's Nick Collison.

And were there two bigger shots than Teahan's? Big stuff.

Great win. We are the king until someone knocks off the crown. Ain't gonna be K-State.

tical523 9 years, 2 months ago

Very well said, let's enjoy the ride I guess.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 2 months ago

Nice post, HEM.

I think you're right about the TOs - they're going to haunt us all season, so we should probably just do our best to get used to it. Good news is, if we can play good enough defense, we can minimize the damage. We did that in the first half (KSuck had like 3 points off of our 9 TOs, I think). Not sure about the second, but I see that as a good sign. We play fast, which means we run the risk of playing out of control, but if we can get back on D and prevent the other team from capitalizing, then it might not be the worst weakness in the world.

Now if we could just get KYo and Wesley to actually PLAY some of that defense...

Gary Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

This team could win without TT, but Self is in it deep now. HCBS's biggest career albatros is TT, and he's too stubborn to admit it.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, I have to respectfully disagree. I just can't see anyone else on the team taking TT's starting spot, at least not now. Teahan is too slow and Naadir too out-of-control. Tyshawn isn't an albatross, he's a wild card - sometimes he's going to be the reason we win, and sometimes the reason we lose. Tonight he was neither of those things, which is a good sign: it means the team is learning how to win without Tyshawn at his best. But hey, he still had 13 points and 4 rebs, so it's not like he had the worst game of his life. He still played better than KYo and Wesley, that's for sure.

Honestly, I can handle the 2-4 TOs he gets when he drives to the hoop and just doesn't quite kick it out in time. HCBS tells him to drive as a calculated risk, because even though it increases the risk of TOs, it also has the potential to really kick-start our offense. So I can take that.

What drives me crazy is games like today, where he lets some punk either pick the ball out of his hands, or he throws a pass to nobody at the top of the key. Hustle TOs are fine, they really are - our '08 averaged 14 TOs a game, and I don't think anyone would consider that a "sloppy" team. Just a fast-paced one that sometimes took risks they couldn't capitalize on. But anything past that is just plain sloppiness.

Today Tyshawn was a liability. Saturday he might be the reason we beat Oklahoma. I've learned to like him. But then again, I've also learned to drink heavily. :)

Sam Constance 9 years, 2 months ago

Anyone who thinks this team can win (at the rate it has) without TT hasn't paid attention when Naadir Tharpe has entered the ballgame.

Naadir is all the erratic play of Tyshawn without the elite playmaking ability.

Case in point: the possession in the first half where Naadir passed it, the ball came back to him, he dribbled 3-4 feet inside the arc and took a long jumper off the dribble with the shot clock still in the upper-20s and no KU frontline players in rebounding position.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 2 months ago

Player of the Game: Travis Releford - Fantastic game, TRel! I knew you were my favorite player for a reason!

Player Who Saved Our Butts: Connor Teahan - Hit some HUGE threes just when it looked like KSuck was gonna sneak back into it.

Conclusion: Our local boys understand the importance of beating the in-state rival! :D

Nice game, guys! You went brain dead for a while there, but way to rally back and beat a Top 25 team by almost as many points as their ranking number. Unbelievable rebounding stats, too. Keep this up and we just might have a shot at that 8th-straight conference title.

Now I can't believe I'm saying this, but: GO KSUC - er, ahhem - I mean, GO KSTATE! Beat those traitor Tigers! Beat those Bears! We just might need your help winning the Big XII title this year, so don't go letting us down, now. :)

sloppyscience 9 years, 2 months ago

Anyone who still thinks tyshaun is good has never either played, coached, or been around the game of basketball other than to cheer for ku.

waywardJay 9 years, 2 months ago

If we had a tyshaun on the team I would take this comment seriously.

sloppyscience 9 years, 2 months ago

And your basketball related point is what?

DanR 9 years, 2 months ago

His point is that you're an idiot.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 2 months ago

I think their point is that, if you can't even spell the player's name, then you probably haven't watched him play enough to be able to make such a blanket judgment call.

I've got a longer post on TT above (under slick50), if you're interested in getting into an actual conversation about it. And shockingly, I have both played and been around the game of basketball other than to cheer for KU.

DanR 9 years, 2 months ago

I suppose a basketball-related point would be: without a guy named "Tyshawn," we wouldn't have won this game without his points, assists and taking control of the game in the last 8 minutes.

But I assumed you must have been complaining about some other player. Go cheer for Duke, NC, K-State or Kentucky or somewhere you can be so awestruck by perfection to bother to learn how to spell the players' names.

Sam Constance 9 years, 2 months ago

Pretty sure the "basketball related" point is that it's hard to take someone's self-proclaimed authority on a player seriously when that person doesn't even know the player's actual name.

Feeling the need to act as if anyone with a different opinion than yours just doesn't understand the game of basketball while simultaneously demonstrating your own ignorance is just the ironic icing on the Fail Cake.

madcow 9 years, 2 months ago

Someone tell EJ to put his shoes on.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 2 months ago

His shot was off tonight, but hey. 5 assists, 0 turnovers, 3 steals, and 9 rebounds is still a pretty good stat line. :)

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 2 months ago

Heck, I'd be pleased with that stat line on a post player.

...And then I was going to make some comment about how Withey only had two more Rebs than EJ, but I got distracted by Withey's blocked shots stat line. Six! Against a big team like KSU! Those're some nice arms ya got there, pal.

waywardJay 9 years, 2 months ago

it's pretty insane that Releford and Johnson both boarded as well as they did last night, I didn't look at the Kitties shooting percetanges, or three shooting, but it seems to me they took waaaaaaay to many jumpers

SchultzHawk11 9 years, 2 months ago

Rock Chalk!!! 18 point win isn't bad when it seems like we had a million turnovers! lol I love how the excuses from all my KSU friends started rolling in on my phone even when I hadn't talked to any of them about the game they still had to make excuses.

Gregor Southard 9 years, 2 months ago

By the way, with the win, Self has won 200 more games at KU than he's lost. And he did it in 298 games

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 2 months ago

Spradling or whoever he is, tonight flopped more than a soccer player. I get the strategy but come on....

SchultzHawk11 9 years, 2 months ago

He cried about everything especially about Taylor clipping his head and it was pretty ridiculous how much he flopped seems like a drama queen to me haha

texashawk10 9 years, 2 months ago

This wasn't even close the UNC game to me. It didn't have the hype, didn't have the expectations, and KU didn't play anywhere close to the level the 08 team did to start the UNC game. It had the same pattern of KU jumping out to a lead, blowing that lead, and pulling away at the end but KU does that a lot under Self though.

Chayse Patrick 9 years, 2 months ago

Hey we lost what 6-7 guys from last years squad? And 3 of this years recruits aren't even seeing the floor and KU still beats k-suck by 18?????? I'll take it, but it's gonna get tougher. Buckle down guys!!!

Chayse Patrick 9 years, 2 months ago

DanR 9 years, 2 months ago

We can nitpick this team tonight, but shouldn't miss the big picture. KSU has a pretty good team this year and they were held to under 50. You're going to win a lot of games with that defense.

Withey played solid and was a huge force defensively.

Releford was all over the place with some great D, points, hustle, and overall tenaciousness we need. (Keep it up!!)

TRob played well within in the confines of the pounding K-State defense and still rebounded like a demon.

Johnson faded into the background sometimes, but was there to pick up a lot of scrappy rebounds and had some nice assists.

Teahan hit the shots when we really needed them.

Taylor kept the offense moving when it was stagnant, and he completely locked it down at the end.

The bench helped more than hurt. The refs didn't do Wesley and Young any favors either.

AND...again, keep in mind (as much as it hurts to admit it) K-State has a pretty darn good team this year... hope they beat the tigers Saturday!

RC

gorilla10 9 years, 2 months ago

I believe the biggest win tonight was the women winning over Texas AT Texas!!!!!

JayHawkFanToo 9 years, 2 months ago

Player of the game: Conner Teahan, no question about it, his two threes absolutely changed the momentum of the game. The game was getting ugly and his shots got KU back on track.

Favorite Image: A tossup between "angry" Withey after a dunk or TRob cheerleading from the sidelines.

To all that think that TT is not one of the keys to KU's success, let me ask you the following questions; When you ask any college BBall fan in the country who are the best PGs in the conference, who do you think most will name? My guess is Tyshawn Taylor is going to be one of them. If not Tyshawn, which other guard in the conference would you take over him? Can you even name all the other PGs in the conference?

Gary Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

I would take Irving, McGruder and Spradling over Taylor just on this one team. I'd also take Pressey, Dixon and Denmon off the hated tiggers. Throw in J'covan Brown, A.J. Walton, Korie Lucious and Keiton Page. There'd be more if I looked.

TT isn't even the best point on his own team. That would be EJ. You Taylor apologists have every right in the world to do what you do, but be warned. I'll be here to laugh at you everytime he falls flat on his face and we lose because of him. As tonight clearly showed, the team plays better when he's on the bench.

And it's laughable to say that he can't be replaced. KU replaces players every year, and most are a hell of a lot better than Tyshawn Taylor will EVER be. Enough of this babying the kid crap. He's a trainwreck of a player. The worst multi year starter in program history.

JayHawkFanToo 9 years, 2 months ago

This is the list of the conference PGs nominated to the Bob Cousy award: Pierre Jackson (Baylor), Tyshawn Taylor (Kansas), Mike Dixon (Missouri), Myck Kabongo (Texas) and Dash Harris (Texas A&M) You do know what t6he Cousy award is, don't you? Considering how the game went it is obvious that Taylor is a better PG than at least the 3 KSU guards you mentioned; they are not all PGs, by the way. Once you mention Paige and Spradling in the same level as Tyshawn, you lose all credibility, and shows that your are just pulling names out of thin air.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

Slick50: Remember, many approach the TT discussion with crimson and blue colored glasses. He is a senior, a Jayhawk, loyal, etc., and that does not permit an objective judgment.

JayHawkFanToo's reference to what college basketball fans around the country would say might be true .. until they watched for a moment .. unless they happened to have watched the Duke game.

Can you imagine how much better last year's team would have been with a pass first, dish the assist point guard? Like a Kendall Marshall? Wow.

But we can't bench him now. Too late for that. Just hope the roller coaster is going the right way in March, because if it isn't, well, we can all spell Bucknell, or Davidson, etc.

Sam Constance 9 years, 2 months ago

Wow. You are so far off base it's not even funny.

EJ the best point guard on the team?!? You'd take Spradling over Taylor?!? You think McGruder is a PG?!?

The only thing laughable here is everything in your post.

Sam Constance 9 years, 2 months ago

I just can't let this go, given how ridiculous it sounds, and the more I read your comment, the more annoyed I get, so I took it upon myself to put a little data behind it and illustrate that your comments aren't really about astute evaluation of a set of players so much as they are about throwing a temper tantrum about a player you don't like:

Let's compare Taylor to the three players you mentioned, even though only two of them are actually PGs.

For starters, let's look at A/T ratio, since everyone is catatonic over Taylor's turnover numbers.

CAREER 1.64 - Spradling 1.53 - Taylor 1.48 - Irving 1.03 - McGruder the non-PG

SEASON BEST 1.98 - Taylor (last year) 1.83 - Irving (so far this year, but on a very small sample size) 1.76 - Spradling 1.13 - McGruder the non-PG

So at first glance, Taylor's ceiling is better than any of the others you mentioned, but the real test comes when you factor in this ratio with volume, seeing as how Taylor handles the ball so much more than any of those players do for KSU.

Add in the fact that Taylor's A/T ratio was actually pretty respectable until this year (1.69 in 2009-10 and 1.98 in 2010-11), when he was forced to be "the man" for the first time in his career, and I think it's silly that you would claim to prefer any of those three Wildcats.

As an aside, the idea of getting enjoyment out of a KU player failing is such a childish and downright idiotic idea, words can't even begin to describe.

I'm not going to delve into all the moronic superlatives you used, because while it's just as easy for me to arbitrarily pick where he fits in with "all other KU players, ever", I can recognize the futility of such an argument. There is no "proof" that can be offered on either side, so it becomes a battle of who can say the most absurd thing in support of their viewpoint. Congrats--you can have the trophy to that battle.

It's not about "babying the kid". It's about having a minimum level of respect for a guy who is out there working hard and trying for YOU and every other KU fan. There have been better players for sure. There have also been much worse. I will never understand the vehemence with which some of you amateur experts rip on these guys. Taylor may not fit the mold in your head about what a basketball player should be, but he's a person, and from what I can tell, he's one that's a heck of a lot more deserving of respect than you.

I will second your sentiment about people who post on these boards having the right to do so, but be warned--you may have the right to be a jerk, but at the end of the day, acting that way about a GAME is pretty freaking childish.

texashawk10 9 years, 2 months ago

Where does KU's offense come from when Taylor is on the bench? He is the only player for KU that has shown the ability to get any shot he wants any time he wants and him and T-Rob have attempted over half of KU's FT's on the year. He absolutely is one of the most frustrating players to watch (I still think EJ is a bigger disappoint this year given his athleticism), but KU is not a better team without him and T-Rob is not as good as he is with Taylor on the court.

If Taylor is not on the court, who else poses any kind of threat on offense for KU besides T-Rob? Withey's offensive game is akin to Sasha Kaun, EJ and Teahan are nothing but snipers this year and if they aren't making shots are completely useless on offense, Releford and Young have moments but are too inconsistent to be real threats every game, and Tharpe and Wesley are complete non-factors on offense except to move the ball to the next person. This team needs Taylor to have any chance at getting that 8th straight title and they need EJ or Releford to step up and become a consistent 3rd scorer to have any chance at getting past the weekend in the NCAA tournament.

Connor Teahan and Travis Releford absolutely sparked that second half run to put the game away, but Taylor is the one that got KSU into foul trouble and allowed KU to ice the game with his ability to get into the lane at will which he has done all year. If EJ ever realizes that it's much easier to create space for yourself when you drive the lane like Tyshawn has, he could very well average 15 and 7 for KU while committing fewer turnovers, but right now he just camps out at the 3 point line launching contested 3's because defenders don't have to give him space because he doesn't drive past them.

DanR 9 years, 2 months ago

I'm not a TT evangelist, but I agree with you completely. Teahan and Releford stepped up today. We need someone besides TRob and TT to contribute offensively.

I'm not sure who the TT bashers think could do better on this team, but Tyshawn gets way too much blame here for a lot of the shortcomings of a shallow bench. For four years, he's left everything he has out there on the floor. He can play brutal defense and still suck it up, get to the rim in the final minutes of any game, and make free throws, and that's good enough for me. (despite the usual stupid turnovers)

TT and EJ could be unstoppable if they would play together. TT had one turnover tonight because Johnson darted to the corner on a cross-court pass. (Maybe that turnover ought to go to Self for not having them on the same page?) On the other hand, the weave looked pretty sweet in the first half, and the ball movement was as quick and slick as it has been all year. K-State looked completely overwhelmed.

Hopefully they all get it together. It's not the usual abundance of riches this year, talent wise, but the top six or seven guys are still really good and fun to watch.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 2 months ago

I don't think I'm a TT basher .. but I'll try to answer your question .. I prefer "TT realist" .. but whatever.

I don't believe too many think that anyone on this team would be better than TT at point. Some EJ rumblings, some that say throw Tharpe in there .. but few and far between.

You, my friend, sound like a TT apologist, but avoiding an inflammatory term like that .. perhaps a "TT explainer" is better. He doesn't get too much blame. Really, we who are TT realists don't want to be critical, we want him to stop the stupid stuff. But I want to go to the moon, too. We see what we see. Much of it we really like.

He has many, many excellent skills. But much like the pitcher with great stuff, if he blows up every third start with a 5 or 6 walk game, he can't pitch in the majors. That's TT. Much like the quarterback with a hose, athletic, etc., but can't avoid the 3 or 4 interception games, he can't be effective. That's TT. Great skill, but too many walks/interceptions.

That's all it is in my opinion.

Jeff Coffman 9 years, 2 months ago

34-3 since the beginning of the Big XII and 45-3 in the last 48 games against KSU. No way is this our rival, Texas would be a better rival in basketball.

I'm going for 16-2 on the season, a loss at Baylor and a loss at OSU. Yes I think we will beat MU and KSU both times.

texashawk10 9 years, 2 months ago

Great night for KU basketball got even better when the women held on to knock off a ranked Texas team down in Austin tonight as well to move to 12-1 on the year with that win.

Kristen Downing 9 years, 2 months ago

I really thought we were going to lose when it got down to three points and then, lo and behold Conner did what he is supposed to and Tyshawn had leg cramps. Thank you lord! They moved the ball better and took the lead. Beautiful pass from EJ to Thomas, finally. Something neither Travis or Tyshawn could do the whole game. The rebounding difference was awsome and kudos to Travis. Although, he still looks awkward at times. Withey decided to shine after seeing the bench. Can not wait for them to play this way consistently without the shocking turnover numbers. Hope it does not go to their heads like it has some of you posters, because this is a long ride.

Sam Constance 9 years, 2 months ago

Part of the point is enjoying the ride.

In fact, some might say that's most of the point.