Kansas defeats Texas, 69-66

• 3 p.m., Jan. 21, 2012
  • Frank Erwin Center, Austin, TX

FINAL: KU holds on for 69-66 victory over Texas

Texas guard J'Covan Brown missed a three-pointer at the buzzer, as the Kansas men's basketball team held on for a 69-66 victory over Texas on Saturday at Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

Jeff Withey completed a three-point play with 37 seconds left to give KU a two-point lead. Brown missed an off-balance 14-footer to tie it with 15 seconds left, and KU's Travis Releford secured the rebound. Thomas Robinson was fouled, and he one free throw before Brown's last-second missed three.

KU trailed 64-60 with 3:21 left before ending the game on a 9-2 run.

Robinson added 17 points and nine rebounds.

Brown finished with 24 points on 7-for-26 shooting.

KU (16-3, 6-0 Big 12) will play host to Texas A&M at 8 p.m. Monday.

Comments

HawksWin 2 years, 9 months ago

p>.com be nice to ahper! He's a great Jayhawk. A class act!

yovoy 2 years, 9 months ago

How did this game get so close? Of course the broadcast was messed up, so I had to watch the last 20 seconds on the 'puter.

Andy Tweedy 2 years, 9 months ago

Strange, here in Omaha no such issues. What exactly happened?

yovoy 2 years, 9 months ago

I actually figured that the broadcast would be "fixed" once the game got close.

MrPilot 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow....that was crazy.

Why must every game we play with Texas come down to the wire!

Rock Chalk!

(And J'Covan Brown can shoot like nobody's business...)

jessejayhawk 2 years, 9 months ago

7 for26 (27%) ain't exactly burning up the nets

MrPilot 2 years, 9 months ago

Heh, it sure seemed like he made more than that.

hawksfan816 2 years, 9 months ago

He was just clutch made em when they need em.

Joe Joseph 2 years, 9 months ago

Well, except when they REALLY needed em.

lol

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

T-Rob, my thoughts are with you and your family. I know you struggled today. Got to be happy with the win!

Clarence Haynes 2 years, 9 months ago

TRob came through in the end when he made the pass to Withey for the score and foul! He also got that one foul shot that forced Texas to try to put up a three at the very end.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Jesse---

Your prediction of two points was very close! I kind of doubted you a little---inside my brain, that is!

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 9 months ago

So to those of you who live in Lawrence: WTF happened to Lazer 105.9? I go to their website after the game to listen to the post game interview, and they're calling themselves Kiss now? I've got Bob and Chris on the Jayhawk All-Access network (thankfully), but what station plays the game in Kansas now?

bookemdano 2 years, 9 months ago

came here to ask the same thing. They did not air any of the pregame nor the game itself. They just made the switch to a new format a few days ago so I am hoping it was just a temporary absence.

Anyone with any info on this please post. Thanks!

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 9 months ago

I guess their online stream just doesn't play the post game, then... dang. Thanks for the info tho, Mimi.

Jim Roth 2 years, 9 months ago

Kansas Jayhawks Radio Stations http://tunein.com/radio/stations/Kansas-Jayhawks-Radio-Stations-a37662/

I've tried this list in the past when I couldn't get KLZR. Figured someplace like Garden City would have fewer listeners, less likely to crash.

bookemdano 2 years, 9 months ago

Thanks. Yeah I have done the same in the past. I was mainly wondering if anyone here has any information about whether KLZR will be carrying pregame/game/postgame audio in the future.

repaste 2 years, 9 months ago

Word is the new owners dropped the contract!

Sam Constance 2 years, 9 months ago

Wow. Not every day you run across business owners with a sub-90 IQ

Bill Jacobson 2 years, 9 months ago

Dear Jesus. Thank you for taking your attention off Tebow and sharing the love with others. Go hawks! Amen...

rob4lb 2 years, 9 months ago

Any road win is precious no matter the score. With that said, UT is very physical and were able to take Robinson out of the game. I did like the way we did not lose poise once we got down by 4 points late in the game even though Withey's three point play was initiated by a forced shot. MU's win at Baylor was huge. It may come down to KU-MU. However, we are only one third of the way through the season. I still think that 15-3 will at least share the title. That means KU wins the rest of their home games and goes 3-3 on the road. ISU, MU, BU, KSU, A&M and OSU are the remaining road games.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 9 months ago

I love that when T-Rob gets "taken out of the game," he still gets 17 points, 14 rebounds. :)

I think our bench hurt us more than anything today. TRel was quiet, too, but I guess he had his hands full on the defensive end. Good to see EJ taking it to the hoop a little more aggressively, these past couple games.

Bill was so dang complimentary in the post game interview, and what with the anniversary this weekend and all, I'm having a hard time being too critical. It's tough to win in Austin. Glad we pulled it off, even with all the memories hanging over the game.

Next up: A&M!

rob4lb 2 years, 9 months ago

The ESPN boxscore says T-Rob got 9 rebounds. No TOs for Tyshawn! Free throws by players other than Taylor or Withey: 1 for 7.

John Randall 2 years, 9 months ago

WTH, not even a double-double?

Bench the sluggard!

My favorite play was OR+slam for one of those lead changes late. Decibel level was suddenly halved. On a logarithmic scale, that's almost equivalent to sudden total silence.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 9 months ago

9 defensive rebs, 5 offensive rebs. My high-powered mathematical skills make that 14 total. ;)

deepind 2 years, 9 months ago

Phog, You must have read it wrong or misunderstood the box score stats! It is not OREB and DREB... it is rather OREB and REB. TRob had a total of 9 rebounds, of which 5 were offensive rebounds. None of the Jayhawks had double-digit rebounds in this game!

In the box score, there is not a column for defensive rebounds. You just have to deduce it yourself based on the total and the o-reb.

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 9 months ago

Ahhh, Stat Fail. Sorry, rob4! This is why I should read more carefully before posting.

I will now go to my Shame Corner and think about what I've done.

Robert Murphy 2 years, 9 months ago

Robinson took himself out of the game dribbling all over the place instead of taking it up and making a basket. Too many passes and to much thinking, he needs to get back to playing instinctively.

HawksWin 2 years, 9 months ago

well bobby, perhaps the one year anniversary of losing his mom (and grandparents) was on his mind - that mind over body thing will take some time to over come...

yovoy 2 years, 9 months ago

So...

How'd the game get so close? Did we play poorly? Foul trouble? Officiating? D), all of the above? I need to know.

I also think that people that didn't get to see the game should email CH13 in Topeka to have them replay the game at some point. I'd like to watch it.

I sent mine to: jim.ogle@wibw.com

Script:

Mr. Ogle,

I'd like to petition to have the KU/UT game rebroadcast as soon as it is possible. I apologize for the technical difficulty, but this is a game that I (and others) would greatly like to be able to see.

I appreciate your efforts in making it happen for the KU or UT faithful that missed the game.

jayhawkeratheart 2 years, 9 months ago

Longhorns or no horns, birds and the bees Texas has lost because of the threes some were made, most were missed but Texas fans really looked pissed

We came to play, and proved it well as we spread our love and gave em hell Tshawn and Trob, Withey did fine When it came to foul shots, put Jeff on the line

We ain’t looking back, and lookin ahead Duke getting beat, the score will be read From headlines to front page, the fans galore will read the outcome and holler for more

We kept it real close and down the stretch our best proved to be something to etch in stone or in ink, our shouts rang out the Jayhawks are best without a doubt

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 9 months ago

Love your poems - they make me want to take part And express the love for KU that I feel in my heart. But when it comes to rhythm and rhyme and such, I clutch my head, shouting, "It's just too much." So forgive my brevity (it's not the soul of wit), But a simple haiku? Well, I might manage it:

Down in Austin, it's Hard to "Hook" what you can't see The Phog travels, too.

John Randall 2 years, 9 months ago

Two candidates for POG -

Releford's D forced Tx best scorer to 7-26 shooting, exactly twice the attempts it took Taylor to make 7 field goals. Without any stats himself this was a great performance, but he also gave us 'bounds, steals, and even a couple points.

Taylor had so few brain farts on offense, I had to double-check a few time to see if he was actually in the game. Damn, it's great to watch him control a game without going ape$#!T every third possession!

Steve Reigle 2 years, 9 months ago

"Tyshawn Taylor led KU, posting 22 points on 7-for-13 shooting with five rebounds, four assists and no rebounds."

Shouldn't that be "and no turnovers?" That's a major accomplishment for Taylor. Let's be sure he gets his due with accurate reporting!

PickleFuzz 2 years, 9 months ago

Is Mondays game on tv? Don't see it anywhere.

jayhawkeye95 2 years, 9 months ago

It's the 8 pm (Central) Big Monday game on ESPN.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

The 6 pm (CST) game---Syracuse @ Cincy---will be interesting. Cuse coming off a tough defeat at Notre Dame!

AsadZ 2 years, 9 months ago

Jeff Withey had another solid game and I can't believe that he is our leading FT shooter. Plus he seems to have gained some muscle mass over the last few weeks.

AsadZ 2 years, 9 months ago

HCBS in his post game conf called this Win as Best Win of the year.

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

Yeah, I was a little surprised by that. I suppose if we win at Missouri, that will trump this win.

Duane Rice 2 years, 9 months ago

I believe its the best win because we were down by 4 late and came back to win. Head coaches love that stuff.

David Robinett 2 years, 9 months ago

Team ball at clutch time:

Elijah hits jumper Tyshawn hits jumper Travis gets key rebound TRob gets assist to Wiithey Withey makes bucket and FT.

THAT is a team!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 9 months ago

------------times 2222222222222222222222222!

Look for the Cuse to lose again (two in a row, just like Baylor) against the Bearcats in Cincy!

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

Syracuse lost to ND, but they also lost a player to an undisclosed academic issue. It'll be interesting if it takes a few more games before they figure out how to adjust without him. Otherwise there could be a few more losses on their schedule.

I think all schools have kids that struggle with academics, but I could see this affecting SU, especially if they can't work through the details.

Janet Olin 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm officially on record as givin' it up to Tyshawn for 22 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and ZERO turnovers. Way to focus--for the 4th straight game. Bravo. And Bravo to Jeff for his awesome free throw shooting, without which the Hawks would be up the creek.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 9 months ago

anybody else notice that EJ is bringing it up the court more often. You talk about a nice adjustment by HCBS, TT still brings the ball down, but a lot more of the time EJ will be touching the ball, and he is slowing down the TOs all around.

SweeT-T is holding his own and beginning to score and score often. I think that the 3 is opening up his dribble capabilities as well.

waywardJay 2 years, 9 months ago

As it should, anyone who can drive like that being able to make a three pointer is just not how this game was meant to be played. You shouldn't be able to do everything well..... Again, this is why I can live with 5 turnovers a night from him.

He shoots Above 40% from three, and he can only stop himself off the dribble.

Love the confidence he is bringing.

jayhawkeratheart 2 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad to hear someone else caught this garbage, this guy was a idiot. He continually gaffed the entire game. Really a joke, and he got paid to do it, that's what is really sad.

JayHawkFanToo 2 years, 9 months ago

I was thinking the same thing. Also, as much as they were talking up Texas (an unrated team), I thought they were auditioning for the Longhorn Network

Uwe_Blab 2 years, 9 months ago

That was indeed some kind of awful announcing. I thought he had Danny Manning playing for Texas as the all-time leading scorer. In any event Lundquist was well beyond his depth.

Maybe we should just play the Verne Lundquist drinking game next time he calls one (take a drink every time he either mispronounces or misidentifies a player). Although I'm guessing folks would be pretty blitzed before halftime.

HawksWin 2 years, 9 months ago

Matt, Jesse, Tom, We need KLZR or another FM station for alive broadcast, please! AM bleeds on the wave, and the sound of static steals the game. Where did the post-game interview go? I too couldn't stand listening to CBS, and ESPN is sometimes bearable. Do we need to contact the KU Athletic Dept? Any suggestions?

rob4lb 2 years, 9 months ago

You can buy the online package for $79 which will give you the KU radio feed and all of the post game interviews. Here is the link:

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 9 months ago

This little longhorn played Kansas, glad they didn't have Marcus or Markieff, but he stopped in their tracks as Jeff slipped them the axe, he knew he'd be processed into beef!