Kansas defeats Texas, 69-66

• 3 p.m., Jan. 21, 2012
  • Frank Erwin Center, Austin, TX

FINAL: KU holds on for 69-66 victory over Texas

Texas guard J'Covan Brown missed a three-pointer at the buzzer, as the Kansas men's basketball team held on for a 69-66 victory over Texas on Saturday at Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

Jeff Withey completed a three-point play with 37 seconds left to give KU a two-point lead. Brown missed an off-balance 14-footer to tie it with 15 seconds left, and KU's Travis Releford secured the rebound. Thomas Robinson was fouled, and he one free throw before Brown's last-second missed three.

KU trailed 64-60 with 3:21 left before ending the game on a 9-2 run.

Robinson added 17 points and nine rebounds.

Brown finished with 24 points on 7-for-26 shooting.

KU (16-3, 6-0 Big 12) will play host to Texas A&M at 8 p.m. Monday.

Comments

Jeeveshawk 2 years, 3 months ago

This little longhorn played Kansas, glad they didn't have Marcus or Markieff, but he stopped in their tracks as Jeff slipped them the axe, he knew he'd be processed into beef!

HawksWin 2 years, 3 months ago

Matt, Jesse, Tom, We need KLZR or another FM station for alive broadcast, please! AM bleeds on the wave, and the sound of static steals the game. Where did the post-game interview go? I too couldn't stand listening to CBS, and ESPN is sometimes bearable. Do we need to contact the KU Athletic Dept? Any suggestions?

Milton Bland 2 years, 3 months ago

Great game, too bad it was on CBS. They lost the feed a number of times. And I can hardly believe CBS still employs Vern Lunquist. He is gawd awful! He kept calling Elijah Johnson "Robinson". He had Wilt Chamberlin playing at Texas. And he had KU playing Texas only once this year. When there are so may good announcers available, why is the hell do we have to listen to that man. I tried to tune in on radio but for some reason the broadcast was not available on any of the stations I normally use. Oh well, it was a Jayhawk win over Texas so all is well.

jhawkrulz 2 years, 3 months ago

anybody else notice that EJ is bringing it up the court more often. You talk about a nice adjustment by HCBS, TT still brings the ball down, but a lot more of the time EJ will be touching the ball, and he is slowing down the TOs all around.

SweeT-T is holding his own and beginning to score and score often. I think that the 3 is opening up his dribble capabilities as well.

Janet Olin 2 years, 3 months ago

I'm officially on record as givin' it up to Tyshawn for 22 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists, and ZERO turnovers. Way to focus--for the 4th straight game. Bravo. And Bravo to Jeff for his awesome free throw shooting, without which the Hawks would be up the creek.

daverinoku 2 years, 3 months ago

Team ball at clutch time:

Elijah hits jumper Tyshawn hits jumper Travis gets key rebound TRob gets assist to Wiithey Withey makes bucket and FT.

THAT is a team!

AsadZ 2 years, 3 months ago

HCBS in his post game conf called this Win as Best Win of the year.

AsadZ 2 years, 3 months ago

Jeff Withey had another solid game and I can't believe that he is our leading FT shooter. Plus he seems to have gained some muscle mass over the last few weeks.

PickleFuzz 2 years, 3 months ago

Is Mondays game on tv? Don't see it anywhere.

iamakufan 2 years, 3 months ago

"Tyshawn Taylor led KU, posting 22 points on 7-for-13 shooting with five rebounds, four assists and no rebounds."

Shouldn't that be "and no turnovers?" That's a major accomplishment for Taylor. Let's be sure he gets his due with accurate reporting!

John Randall 2 years, 3 months ago

Two candidates for POG -

Releford's D forced Tx best scorer to 7-26 shooting, exactly twice the attempts it took Taylor to make 7 field goals. Without any stats himself this was a great performance, but he also gave us 'bounds, steals, and even a couple points.

Taylor had so few brain farts on offense, I had to double-check a few time to see if he was actually in the game. Damn, it's great to watch him control a game without going ape$#!T every third possession!

jayhawkeratheart 2 years, 3 months ago

Longhorns or no horns, birds and the bees Texas has lost because of the threes some were made, most were missed but Texas fans really looked pissed

We came to play, and proved it well as we spread our love and gave em hell Tshawn and Trob, Withey did fine When it came to foul shots, put Jeff on the line

We ain’t looking back, and lookin ahead Duke getting beat, the score will be read From headlines to front page, the fans galore will read the outcome and holler for more

We kept it real close and down the stretch our best proved to be something to etch in stone or in ink, our shouts rang out the Jayhawks are best without a doubt

yovoy 2 years, 3 months ago

So...

How'd the game get so close? Did we play poorly? Foul trouble? Officiating? D), all of the above? I need to know.

I also think that people that didn't get to see the game should email CH13 in Topeka to have them replay the game at some point. I'd like to watch it.

I sent mine to: jim.ogle@wibw.com

Script:

Mr. Ogle,

I'd like to petition to have the KU/UT game rebroadcast as soon as it is possible. I apologize for the technical difficulty, but this is a game that I (and others) would greatly like to be able to see.

I appreciate your efforts in making it happen for the KU or UT faithful that missed the game.

rob4lb 2 years, 3 months ago

Any road win is precious no matter the score. With that said, UT is very physical and were able to take Robinson out of the game. I did like the way we did not lose poise once we got down by 4 points late in the game even though Withey's three point play was initiated by a forced shot. MU's win at Baylor was huge. It may come down to KU-MU. However, we are only one third of the way through the season. I still think that 15-3 will at least share the title. That means KU wins the rest of their home games and goes 3-3 on the road. ISU, MU, BU, KSU, A&M and OSU are the remaining road games.

Bill Jacobson 2 years, 3 months ago

Dear Jesus. Thank you for taking your attention off Tebow and sharing the love with others. Go hawks! Amen...

PhogAdvisory 2 years, 3 months ago

So to those of you who live in Lawrence: WTF happened to Lazer 105.9? I go to their website after the game to listen to the post game interview, and they're calling themselves Kiss now? I've got Bob and Chris on the Jayhawk All-Access network (thankfully), but what station plays the game in Kansas now?

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

Jesse---

Your prediction of two points was very close! I kind of doubted you a little---inside my brain, that is!

Mike Kendall 2 years, 3 months ago

T-Rob, my thoughts are with you and your family. I know you struggled today. Got to be happy with the win!

MrPilot 2 years, 3 months ago

Wow....that was crazy.

Why must every game we play with Texas come down to the wire!

Rock Chalk!

(And J'Covan Brown can shoot like nobody's business...)

yovoy 2 years, 3 months ago

I actually figured that the broadcast would be "fixed" once the game got close.

yovoy 2 years, 3 months ago

How did this game get so close? Of course the broadcast was messed up, so I had to watch the last 20 seconds on the 'puter.