Missouri defeats Kansas, 74-71

• 8 p.m., Feb. 4, 2012
  • Mizzou Arena, Columbia, MO

FINAL: Missouri scores game's final 11 points, rallies for 74-71 win over KU

The Missouri Tigers scored the game's final 11 points, rallying to beat Kansas, 74-71, on Saturday night at Mizzou Arena in Columbia, Mo.

KU had one last chance to tie it at the buzzer, but a desperation three by Elijah Johnson only hit backboard.

Marcus Denmon led Missouri with 29 points on 10-for-16 shooting.

KU was led by Thomas Robinson, who posted 25 points and 13 rebounds. Nineteen of his 25 points came in the second half.

Tyshawn Taylor added 21 points for KU.

KU (18-5, 8-2 Big 12) will travel to Baylor for a 6 p.m. game Wednesday.

Comments

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

+10000000 why against this team would Self play him so much let Releford or Ej anyone play just for the defense. sorry Conner lovers but he is a step slow all the time like watching Emporia state play and guard Tyshawn. Self may think if he plays him will boost his confidience for end of year... this game was to important for that.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

Here are the stats for Denman who before Teahan , had been in a slump thanks for bringing him out of the slump ... pitiful your 6 points far cry from the 29 you gave up! TT turnover did not give MU 29 10-16 6-9 3-4 1 9 2 1 0 2 0 total point 29

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 7 months ago

TT had a great first 37 minutes then pi**ed the game away

would take 100 TT over 1 Teahan Tyshawn is why we are great team

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

There's a reason why people say Tyshawn is the best player for both teams at the same time. He was a big reason why the game was close, but he was just as big a reason why KU lost tonight as well with that out of control play the last few minutes and his missed free throws.

jayloco 8 years, 7 months ago

Man, I hate that I just can't bring myself to support TT 100%...dude did so much for us and helped us come to the point of a win, then peed down his leg the last 4 minutes. What a devastating loss.

connhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Are you kidding me? He played really poorly for 5 minutes in the second half after completely carrying us in the first half. And he has been playing like an All-American for the past couple months.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

The problem is we can't win a championship with a point guard that can't make the right decisions in crucial moments of a game like that. He literally gave that game away to MU. His the Anti-Mario.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

That is why the cornhuskers suc at basketball.... any team in the nation would love to have Tyshawn!

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Where did the Cornhuskers come into this conversation?

Phoghat 8 years, 7 months ago

What a stupid comment . . . Tyshawn has played his heart out and has single-handedly taken over games. He is a crucial part of this team and is the #1 reason we are still elbow to elbow at the top of the conference.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. But he is incapable of being a point guard down the stretch of a tight game like this. Every big loss we've had this year he was a major contributor in that loss at the end of the game. Duke and the MU game in particular. I don't hate him, I'm just ready to see someone else play point. It's frustrating when the leader of the team makes the worst decisions. It's a serious problem and Self knows it.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

Whithey should have been under goal at the end PERIOD!

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. And TT should never have continued to have the ball after 2 TOs and 2 missed FTs. How can a SENIOR GUARD miss 2 FTs at the end of the game?!?!

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I think I heard coach say "whatever you do, don't get the ball in to Thomas!" Please!!! Coach didn't make all those plays down the stretch, the players did.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Who exactly would you put on Denmon? Teahan certainly isn't a great defender, but if he's not in the game for some of those possessions, he doesn't hit those two threes, either. It's easy to hate on Teahan, but who would you suggest gets those minutes? Releford got his fourth foul and we have nobody on the bench that can add any value whatsoever on offense. You do realize that as soon as the defense ends, the offense starts, right? You really want Tharpe handling the ball in crunch time?

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I think Tharpe getting minutes early in the season would have been rough, but I'm not so sure it wouldn't have paid off by now. We don't have a point guard. Do you realize this?

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Regardless, I think we wouldn't be having this disagreement if the guards would have remembered to put the ball in the paint in those last few minutes! That is just inexcusable! T-Rob is a monster.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

Rotate EJ and Releford on Denmon and put Teahan on Matt Pressey because he was a non-factor on offense and that takes pressure off Teahan on defense.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

Matt Pressey and Connor played the same number of minutes this game, Teahan should not have been in when Dixon was as much as he was because that forced Teahan onto Denmon to get torched by him.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

5 of his 6 threes were contested. Your welcome.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Here let me give you a breakdown. A contest shot does not mean you are jumping up with him. It means you have a hand in his face. If you go watch his threes you will see that, that was the case. If you refuse to watch it I'll give you a breakdown from my brain.

1st three- EJ has him covered. About 5 feet from the NBA line, he hits the shot with EJ in his eye

2nd Three- Exact same scenario but Teahan is guarding. Hand in face which is a contested shot.

3rd Three- After a couple picks can't remember the player but hand in face.

4th three- Wide open

5th- After a pick He goes strait up and drains it with Teahan putting pressure on him. T rob should have switched for a second

6th- Teahan has him in the corner hand in face. Goes right up with pressure and makes it.

Don't believe me, watch em.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Not during the release. Teahan usually was there by the time he would start his jump. Not ideal but they were still very difficult shots to hit. EJ missed three wide opens. Id rather have a guy be there and they guy makes it then a guy who's wide open and misses it.

uneekness 8 years, 7 months ago

Well, I watched them. If by "hand-in-face" you mean two to three steps back by Teahan. He's too slow to actually get up in anybody's face the way an actual defender would, so he has to play off. The hope is he'll make up for it by draining three's on the offensive end. Tonight, he was at least -9 on that count.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

He was two are three steps. But Releford was in trouble all game. EJ had to cover Dixon. He was a couple steps off but that is when arms come into play. If you pressure a player then you risk with a slower player get drived on. So he stayed bout two steps away but used his arms to make up for that space. That style is ideal. Now remember foul trouble. Tehan played solid D. It wasn't EJ or T Rev but it was good technique wise. Some of those shots were amazing.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with you to an extend. You can't argue the fact that Teahan is slow-footed. Even he has admitted that if he can't hit the three he doesn't contribute nearly as much. There is a difference between a hand coming in late to contest a shot and actually being up in your man's grill all the time. Teahan is not capable of doing this. He played his heart out, but some of the points being made are valid. It's not like we're calling for Self's head...who would? He's a great coach. But it is odd that you would have your worst defender on their hottest shooter late in the game.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

There is a difference. But those shots are still contested. He made some amazing shots even when our best defender was on him. The 5th and 6th three were good defense. The pick showed that he isn't fast but thats the point of a pick. Should have gotten help.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Are you talking about when get got picked? He still applied pressure, the other defenders should have stepped out just to let Teahan recover.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Be a grown up. He was not the sole defender of him. This guy got Releford in foul trouble, who else was supposed to guard him. Any pressure is good pressure. Marcus was on tonight. He Drained one in EJs eye also.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

and then you have Dixon running around. If Releford keeps his hands to himself, we aren't having this convo.

brooksmd 8 years, 7 months ago

Bingo. Somebody with some common sense.

Bill Jacobson 8 years, 7 months ago

Completly agree. This one is on Bill Self. Up 8 with 3 minutes and Robinson goes straight for the basket. We do nothing to milk the clock and get to the free throw line. Any other coach and this one is in the bag.

uneekness 8 years, 7 months ago

They got it to T-Rob twice - the first two possessions after going up eight, and both times he tried (way too early in the shot clock) to go mano-a-mano hard to the hole when he didn't have any angles. One charging call, emptypossesions both times, total amount left on the shot clock was nearly a minute. Had we milked possesions, might've gotten out of there with a victory even withou tscoring anymore.

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 7 months ago

Perimeter defense was bad the whole game.

Kye Clark 8 years, 7 months ago

It was both. We totally got jobbed by the refs. No doubt about it. Put the refs didn't shoot any of those shots Denmon made, the refs didn't dribble off their leg, the refs didn't Christian Moody two free throws. We choked. You know you're not gonna get calls on the road. Gotta put yourself in a position where it doesn't matter, and execute when you put yourself in that position.

connhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. I still think we would've won with fairer calls from the refs, but the way we played at the end was just inexcusable. There's no way we should've lost that game even with those calls.

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

Poor coaching with 3 minutes left and poor performance from TT. The refs must be staying over night. I done with this team.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

It must be so hard to cheer for a team this is still first in the big 12. Good riddance.

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

Trust me we wont be for long. this team cant finish and I dont understand why we were not burning more clock with 2 minutes left. That is on BS. No way we win on the road at Baylor or even Kstate, not with the I have seen. No excuse to lose when up by 8 with 3 to go. No reason at all.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Then pick up your pants and move on. Mizzou his some amazing shots. We still have them at home. and if you know Self, you know that when we lose at mizzou we destroy them in Allen.

brooksmd 8 years, 7 months ago

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Yeah, I think we'll be okay without him!

Alex Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

If you're done with this team does that mean you aren't going to be posting anymore? Just wondering...

Joe Satterwhite 8 years, 7 months ago

I have never felt so cheated out of a win in my life, on that note, goodnight

lurkerhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I wouldn't blame the refs and I wouldn't blame Taylor. Taylor had a solid game for the most part. We just failed to capitalize when it mattered. Tiggers better have their A game when they come to Lawrence because that's the only game that will matter the most!

Bill Jacobson 8 years, 7 months ago

Worst coaching job in history. Up 8 with 3 minutes to go and we do this>

brooksmd 8 years, 7 months ago

So please tell me what you as head coach would've done.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

The thing is, it really is that simple. I'm tired of watching Taylor turn the ball over late in a tight game. Quit dribbling and give it to TRob.

brooksmd 8 years, 7 months ago

Sorry, I didn't know Self was in a uniform and out running the plays.

Alex Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

I think his NC win after being down by 9 with 2 minutes left outweighs this one. Coach doesn't control offensive fouls.

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

i am soooooooooooooooooooooo mad........ yes, we did some things wrong but we got screwed big time by those zebras!!!!!

Andrew Bary 8 years, 7 months ago

TT had a phenomenal first half, but T Rob was the one to beat in the second. Why we went to TT for the last points is beyond me. Outside of that, the entire game turned when Robinson had the bogus charge called on him. This is a travesty and proves yet again that NOTHING good comes from Mizzou.
You know what though? No problem. We'll see you punks Feb 25. Beware of the Phog, because you're going to drown in it. Rock Chalk.

Sam Constance 8 years, 7 months ago

The refs took two points off the board, and made several other calls that enabled MU's unlikely game-ending run.

And they stole KU's opportunity to win the game with a BS charge call to end the game.

KU didn't choke, they were manhandled by the three idiots in white tiger stripes.

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 7 months ago

I have been accused of being a homer many times, but this loss falls squarely on TT.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 7 months ago

Three straight second halves where we did not get into the 1 & 1. Those two misses by TT hurt, but that call on T-Rob. When K-State got hosed at Iowa State, I said I hope we don't get hosed like that. Well, I present to you, Exhibit A.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

We're KU...we ALWAYS manage to break someone out of a slump.

rockchalkxii 8 years, 7 months ago

Kudos to Missouri. They came up big when they had to. Big 12 still goes through Allen.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

We need to pick up wins in Waco & Manhattan. But yeah, I think you're right.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Up 8, 2:30 left and Robinson takes a shot with 22 seconds on the shot clock. Then the guards seem to forget T-Rob is on the floor. TT misses BOTH free throws. TT gets called for a charge on the last possession. Good Lord, how can anybody blame the refs for this loss...we were TERRIBLE when it mattered!

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

That charge on Taylor was bogus. His feet were still moving, he learned into his lane. T rob dodged a guy and got called. Refs were horrible the last 2 min

Justin Kruse 8 years, 7 months ago

Totally agree. They were crap calls but we lost that one.

Alex Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Yep, refs were NOT unbiased but home court advantages do that. Denmon was just unstoppable the last 3 minutes. I take comfort knowing that next time we play them, at the Phog, its gonna be crazy.

BigJayhawkPhan 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm so glad this series is almost over with those trashy meth-heads!!!!

bwag 8 years, 7 months ago

Why didn't EJ take the shot when it was open?

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Thats what I thought.....had a great shot

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

His head was out of the game on several occasions, including that time when we inbounds with 4 secs on the shot clock.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

EJ has absolutely no clock or court awareness, that's why.

IA4jayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Quit ragging on Tyshawn. We wouldn't have even been in a position to win without him. You're crazy if you think we're better off without him. Man has played his heart out this year for us.

James McGuire 8 years, 7 months ago

He played an amazing game - minus the last three minutes. No way its that close without him.

IA4jayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

You're one of those 'glass half empty' kind of people aren't you?

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

That's true. I just want to see someone else lead this team. Tyshawn is NOT a point guard. He is a 2 guard...he is incapable of handling these kinds of situations. This happens all the time. I want to see him on the floor, I just don't want to see him leading the team. I'll be glad when he graduates because I'm ready to see someone else lead this team.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

TT had a great game......played poorly in the end. He was gassed....completely gassed. You haters amaze me.......you really do.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

An investigation needs to be done whether Tyshawn actually is getting the grades to compete. He is one of the dumbest players to ever wear the crimson and blue. Period. It wasn't about being gassed. It's about a senior point guard being able to make the right decisions during crucial moments of a game.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I know you are, but what am I? Come on man..seriously?

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

So lets ignore the past 10 games or so and suddenly hes the biggest moron ever? Stop being a baby and deal with the lost.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm not saying he's not a great player. He is! I'm saying he is not playing the position he was born to play. I might eat crow, but he will never cut it as a point guard in the NBA. He's athletic enough to play a two and that's where I think he will end up.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

His style is very very similar to Derrick Rose. Derrick Rose has game where he is a turnover machine. But the ability to drive and make difficult passes is what makes him a sold 1.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with everything you just said.....but, the point I am trying to make is this and it's the last time I'm going to type it on this page. Tyshawn loses his wits about him late in a game. That's the big difference between he and someone like Derrick Rose. Rose is solid late...sure everyone makes mistakes, but this is typical TT.... I honestly hope he comes out of it, and maybe he will by the end of the year. He's much better this year than last, but he's still making the same bone-head plays he always has. As a senior point guard that's just not acceptable.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

What horrible plays did he make at the end. The missed free throws were bad, But he got pushed to the ground and no call and that was a TO. Beside that he really didn't do awful.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

no one hates Tyshawn . just because they point out a bad play. I do not hate Teahan and know we need some minutes BUT he can not guard. his man scored at will. he should not get so many minutes period! No hater here anther Tyshawn player and one less Teahan player this team would have won by 30

lurkerhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

no one hates Tyshawn? you might want to read some of the posts above

lurkerhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree. TT has played phenomenal this year and I honestly mean it. I just don't see us going deep in the tourney this year considering our depth.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Depth has nothing to do with it. When we won the title in 08 we played 7-8 guys for the most part. These guys are conditioned to go the distance. The reason we won't go deep is because of plays like Taylor's in a tight game. This team is capable of winning a NC. We have the best power forward in the country, one of the best perimeter defenders in the nation in Releford, a great shot blocker in Withey, several guards that can finish inside and knock down the trey, but the thing we are lacking is leadership at the end of a game. Composure! That has to come from your point guard.

lurkerhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Depth has everything to do with it. The reason we lost this game was because TT and EJ plays 38 and 40 minutes while Naadir plays just 1. In 2008, Sherron was an excellent sixth man option. We just don't have that kind of option this year and things might have been different in the end if TT and EJ had a bit more rest.

Hank Cross 8 years, 7 months ago

Withey, Rele, EJ, nothing + some bad calls = loss.

Kye Clark 8 years, 7 months ago

EJ did a couple things well, but overall I agree. Releford seemed to not even want to be in the game with some of the reaching fouls he had to put himself in such bad foul trouble.

And I don't like that Self played small. I hate it. We were doing fine having TRob guard English and playing our normal starters. Then he decides, for whatever reason, to go small and plays Connor the rest of the way. Now Connor did a few nice things in the second half, but he could have done those things subbing in for Releford, EJ, & Tyshawn.

Hank Cross 8 years, 7 months ago

I checked EJ's stat line after the game and he did have more points than I thought, but he seemed to me to disappear at times. I don't know much is on Self for small ball. Withey wasn't giving them anything anyway.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

Players...Self did all he could but put on a uni.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

so many flop charges they will not get those in Phog

IA4jayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Quit following them! I'm sick of your worthless posts that are just about how awful we are and how much you hate Taylor. Go follow Meth U for Christ's sake.

IA4jayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

You're an idiot. Sorry you'll be losing sleep tonight because your tax money isn't well spent. O and by the way, I'd imagine that a good chunk of their scholarships is paid for by money that they generate by busting their asses on the court.

IA4jayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

No one is forcing you to follow them. Go take your guns and ammo across the border. You'll find plenty of people there to join you in your rebellion against reason and logic.

Kit Duncan 8 years, 7 months ago

Denmon shot lights out!!! He was guarded as well as anyone could guard him on at least three of his shots late in the game and he still made them. Quite a few of the MU 3 pts were shot from NBA range. It's hard for anyone to guard those shots.

The charge call on Robinson was close, but a bad call nonetheless. But the play of the game was Phil Pressey's foul on Tyshawn that went uncalled at the 1 min 27 sec point. TT apparently dribbled the ball into a turnover with KU still up 71-70. Pressey body blocked TT all the way up the court and pushed Ty from behind using his shoulder against Ty's causing the mishandled ball. (nearly identical to the Duke play when TT dribbled the ball off his knee which had been undercut by the Duke player)

Nevertheless, I agree this should not have been a loss. KU had the big lead and failed to score ANY points in the final 2 1/2 minutes. That's unacceptable!

Mike Kendall 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh, yeah, we got hosed. I know HCBS can't say anything. But there were a lot of key calls, especially, ones that were called with less than 2 minutes.

Thing is, Missouri has to play on Monday. Maybe it will all to their heads and lose!

David Howell 8 years, 7 months ago

TT's great 1st half was negated by his terrible 2nd half. We shouldn't want to go to the FT line since their shorts get tighter. Inexcuseable that a PG can shoot FT's that poorly ............. And why was Teahan guarding English so much ??

wisjayhawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

good game tonight. taylor had it tought at the end, but really refs, let the teams play

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

On the bright side, we WILL thrash them in three weeks.

Alex Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

It's gonna be so good! I can't wait to see our guys respond at AFH.

David Howell 8 years, 7 months ago

Missouri was flopping all night long so deal with it. Being up by 8 points only to go scoreless is nothing short of pathetic !

wisjayhawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

withey needs to play better when he is the bigger man out there

Jim Roth 8 years, 7 months ago

Yep. 0-1, no points, only 4 boards. He was wide open several times, and wouldn't shoot.

Ryan Shelton 8 years, 7 months ago

Even Gottleib is saying the refs played a part.

Alex Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

KU = 20 fouls Mizzou = 10 fouls. Suuuuuucks.

David Howell 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree to a point. We are not MENTALLY SMART and coach has to help them think through the tough situations better.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

Sorry...the players didn't execute. Self didn't make the dumb plays for them.

brooksmd 8 years, 7 months ago

Really. Can't believe how many people blame Self for the last 3 minutes. If he was wearing a uniform and on the floor I could see it. Once the ball is in play it's up to the players to execute.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't blame him for the loss and I like Coach Self a lot. But having Teahan in the game at the end in my opinion was not a good decision. I understand we had Releford in foul trouble, but he shouldn't have been in at the end once Releford was able to come back on the court. Not when you're up 8.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

And Teahan contested those shots. Watch the replays.

NebraskaJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Getting a hand in late is not contesting. Not on that stage.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

If you get it off before his release, it is still a contested shot.

Justin Kruse 8 years, 7 months ago

I HATE losing to MU but I really hate it when we give it to them. Sure some terrible calls down the stretch but Thomas and TT did not play smart at all at the end. Thomas rushed a shot w/ 15 still on the shot clock and fouls under the bucket on the other end for a 3 point play. Welcome back Tyshawn Turnover. Great looking shot to tie it up Johnson. Should have never lost that one.

NJHAWK 8 years, 7 months ago

Horrible call on Trob which could have made 11 point game but bad execution of play in the last three minutes.

wisjayhawkfan 8 years, 7 months ago

i will give mizzou credit. hell of a 3 point shooting team

Ryan Shelton 8 years, 7 months ago

Which is exactly why they will not make it to the final 4 again.

Orangedog87 8 years, 7 months ago

TT lost the game...Really? I did not watch that game

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 7 months ago

You must have turned it off with 2 minutes to play.........

Orangedog87 8 years, 7 months ago

Okay from now on I will only watch the last two minutes of any game because apparently that is the only time that you evaulate games .... ...yeah I am not doing the last two minute thing but good luck with that.............it provides so much useful information for tards with no attention span

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 7 months ago

If you would have read my previous posts, I said Taylor played awesome for the first 37 minutes. Then the 'Bad Tyshawn' came out. I agree he is one of the reasons the Hawks are in 1st place, but he showed once again he is NOT a clutch guard.

End of story.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

and you must not have seen the first half whithout TT we would have been down 20 at the half

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

They blew it.....it happens. Still.......overall......we played pretty well. It's tough to win in that atmosphere. Now we have a tough road ahead. May lose a few more. We will be fine .

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

If you can't overcome a couple close calls, you don't deserve to win, and you most likely won't! Some of you act like we've never benefitted from a few close calls.

Sam Constance 8 years, 7 months ago

There are close calls and there are close calls.

These calls were pivotal and in close succession. MU couldn't have won the game without them. I'd say that makes MU less deserving than the team that outplayed them for the larger part of 40 minutes.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 7 months ago

1990---

As they say at the Bowling Alley---

please spare me!

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

yes, tyshawn was THE man in the first half and trob in the 2nd...... didn't think we could lose with both scoring over 20 but i'm sorry..... the refs DID play a VERY big part in this game.......,. time and time again but ESPECIALLY when they TOOK AWAY a fg for trob and a chance for a 9 pt lead and stole our momentum........... those refs were pathetic and i'm still fuming!!

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

its a fact..... mizzou does NOT win without the help of the zebras at the end. it is NOT right that THEY can determine the outcome that way!!

MrPilot 8 years, 7 months ago

Great effort guys. Mizzou didn't win the game, it was given to them. Two of the most unbelievable "charge" calls I've ever seen.

We'll beat the slavers by 30 in Allen. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Sam Constance 8 years, 7 months ago

Frank Haith's foul mouth earned that win for MU.

Refs can't make those kind of "charge" calls unless it is obvious and undeniable. You can't reward a defender for overplaying (like the MU defender did on the final play vs. TT) and you can't reward a defender for just falling on the ground because a breeze from Robinson brushed him. MU got bailed out several times to end that game, and without those key calls, they aren't able to overcome an 8-point deficit in 2:30.

loyal2thaphog 8 years, 7 months ago

MU was playing at home, so of course the calls are going to go their way. We had this game won with 2:30-3min to go in the game. Complacency at its finest. Its unbelievable when you think about, if we would have just milked the shot clock down to 5-10 sec and let TT drive to the basket every offensive possession, we would have won this game easily. Hopefully there are some learning/teaching points here- things that will make us a better team in march. I just hate seeing Mizzou win given the circumstances-makes me sick.

rockchalkxii 8 years, 7 months ago

I can't wait for this game at the Sprint Center.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Hawk90-Thanks for being a supportive voice for our team.....some of these comments may as well be from MU fans

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

I swear its like China just took us over. They understand we still have them at home, and Self will get our guys pissed.

rnrover81 8 years, 7 months ago

Say what you want about Taylor - he is not a point guard. This is a result of below par recruiting at the guard position for two years. Why you go away from domination inside (Robinson) at the key part of the game is perplexing. They came out of two timeouts with a total lack of execution or direction.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Have you already forgotten that we were expected to have the top point guard in the nation this year in Josh Selby? How can you call that sub-par recruiting? I'd say it's more just another example of how hard it is for college coaches to keep the roster stocked in these days of early entries.

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 7 months ago

C'mon dude. No one thought Selby was going to stay 2 years.

djhawk75 8 years, 7 months ago

The refs might a call from the Big 12 office on Monday. It will sound something like, "You idiots were suppose to call the fouls on the team LEAVING the conference, not the team staying.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

The most infuriating thing is seeing kids hit wide open threes (VCU, UNI). That wasn't the case tonight. 5 of denmons threes were with somebody in his business.

Officiating was fine up until the last 5 min. Taylor dunks it, gets hacked bad and no call. Then gets tackled twice and no call. Guy jumps in his lane and its a charge. The refs were a huge part of this game. But when a guy hits three strait with someone in his face, its going to be hard to win.

Mizzou won this. Refs didn't help but you gotta give credit where credit is due.

sardi 8 years, 7 months ago

I can't beileve that people are blaming any one player in this one! first off TT did not single handedly lose this game for us. The entire tempo changed after the charge call on T-Rob. That would have gave us a 3 point play and put us up by 9 but insted it waived off 2 points and got missouri going. Had that call gone our way Tyshawn wouldn't have had to charge. Now do i blame the entire lose on the refs, no. KU just lost it in the last couple minutes. They got behind and they panicked

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

Three-point play would have put us up by 11, I believe.

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

Play MU one more time at home and stop the series. No sense to lose 1 game out of 6 against them, especially when you are playing them and the refs at the same time. Let the series die.

Orangedog87 8 years, 7 months ago

Great game Hawks....you are so much better than Mizzou and u know that in AFH u will beat them by more than 10 points....seriously the refs kept MU in the game at the end

Kye Clark 8 years, 7 months ago

Anyone watching knows that the last two plays out of the time outs were for Taylor to drive. That's a coaching mistake. Because Tyshawn is not going to look to create for anyone else. Self has to know this by now. Now Tyshawn is a good option in the flow of the game, but in calling those plays he's basically going away from TRob. Why?

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

This was Memphis vs Ku in reverse. Ku did everything wrong and MU hit some amazing shots. It happens...that's life. Forget about the refs. KU lost. Period.

Now they have a game at Baylor coming up. It doesnt get any easier, folks. We may lose a few more. But in March who knows. Anything can and will happen.

James McGuire 8 years, 7 months ago

March could be very interesting if we can put a full game together (well a few full games). It seems we haven't been able to do that yet.

BReakinggOOd 8 years, 7 months ago

Regardless of the refs & late questionable calls, we didn't CLOSE OUT the dam game when we had the chance. This is NOT a typical Kansas team & our "BASKETBALL IQ" is very low.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

I remember a lot of Roy's teams not closing out.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Our Basketball Iq is very high. We have two guys who came this year with significant minutes. Our 6th man was a walk on, our 7th man was a walk on, our 8th man was a transfer from no where university. And yet we have played 3 top 5 teams and tooken them to the wire? This is our down year and we still have a great shot at winning the conf.

johnnyphoton 8 years, 7 months ago

Considering KU isn't fielding a what many consider to be an overwhelmingly athletic team, I thought they played a great game. They played with poise nearly the entire game. HCBS did a great job keeping their heads in the game and playing with tenacity. I agree that it would have been nice to have had TRob be more involved with shots the last few possessions.

It would have been nice to have the refs swallow the whistle on TRob's drive. After that MU got the momentum they needed, hit VERY difficult shots. Kudos to them for making tough, long shots with the game on the line. I say the charging calls gave MU the momentum they needed and they capitalized. We had our shots at and missed.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 7 months ago

Great comments by Self. He wanted EJ to take the shot. He even said that we didn't get some calls toward the end but he was real nice about it. He felt bad that T-Rob and TT had to play so many minutes. "Guys are hurting in there right now, by we leave here knowing that we are a good team," Self said.

That's all I need to hear, Coach Self. Good luck with Baylor. Rock Chalk!

IA4jayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Here's a crazy thought: this game will make us better prepared for the future. We've got a bunch of guys who are still just starting to get the hang of playing in the spotlight and a senior guard who hasn't been asked to be "the man" in the past. Even Robinson experiences growing pain throughout games with passing and what to do when defenses collapse on him. This one hurts because it's against Mizzou, but things will get better. They always do for the Jayhawks.

Mike Kendall 8 years, 7 months ago

As crazy as it sounds, this could really help us in the Post Season. I agree, IA4jayhawk.

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

How the hell will this help us? up by 8 and we decide to try to make it a one on one game and not burn any time whatsoever. Unless we can play all games at home I really dont see how it will help us.

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

This game may help us out as early as this Wednesday.

KissMyPhoggyHaase 8 years, 7 months ago

i agree but it really sucks the big one we can't hang this over tigers mouth forever. Been nice to have the last one in the Hearnes Center and their new Meth shack

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree that the game should have ended in trob's hands for sure..... he was THE MAN in the 2nd half and should have been there to win it for us!! he got screwed big time on the charge call and everything changed...... the refs changed the momentum totally and no one can deny that..... it was absolutely pathetic!!!!!!! we had it and should have finished it but the refs should NOT have that much control!!

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 7 months ago

OK, time to regroup and try to steal one from Baylor.

thejhawk93 8 years, 7 months ago

Great game Jayhawks! Very proud of how you played for 37:00 of the game! We will get Baylor on Wed - and revenge will be sweet in AFH in a few weeks when the pussies come to Larryville.

CardHawkFan 8 years, 7 months ago

Game was decided by the officials...the only people not playing. That call is made correctly, KU is up 10 and game is over. There is no way MU deserved to win that game. Case in point, I promise we win by 20 in Lawrence!!! So furious with how that turned out. Understand the game refs! It's bigger than you and Frank Haith was outcoached. Didn't deserve this one!

PegLegg 8 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely spot on. The officials threw the game with a 5 point swing. Rather than up 10 by a great play from Thomas, Mizzou is only down 5 with all the momentum in the world. Piss poor.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

For you TT haters......he scored 21 points. we would not have even been in the game without him. So think about minor little things like that before you start typing your responses. I get it.....you're pissed. So am I. That sucked. But we played ok....MU was just a little better. And being up 8 points is really not that much with that much time left.

Take out your frustration somehow and be back here ready to go next game.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

I said this near the top of here, but I'll say again down here. Tyshawn Taylor is one of those players that can be the best player on floor for both teams at the same time. His free throw shooting is what made the Duke game close, but if he didn't turn the ball over 11 times in that one, then KU most likely wins that game. The same can be said of this game as well, Tyshawn's play for the first 37 minutes or so kept the game close and gave KU a chance to win, but his mistakes in the last 3 minutes were the single biggest factor in determining the outcome of the game even more than the refs. That charge he was called for may have been a bad call, but Tyshawn was completely out of control on that play looking for contact instead of trying to create a good look for himself or someone else and that's the kind of decisions he makes in close games that wind up costing KU the game.

Phog79 8 years, 7 months ago

KU went toe to toe with a 5 ranked team in one of the most hostile environments in the country tonight. I am proud of our team. We will grow and improve from this loss. As bitter and difficult as loss as it is, we were warriors!

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Well said....that seems to get put aside with the rivalry. We played an excellent taem tonight at home and did pretty darn well.

Kristen Downing 8 years, 7 months ago

We were in the game partly because of Tyshawn. I mean, where are you going to replace his points? And we lost partly because of Tyshawn. How about more than six points from Thomas in the first half?! What happened to Releford's scoring and why was Withey so useless offensively? Then lets throw some of Self's coaching decisions(no one is perfect) and finally the refs. Lot to bitch about, not just Tyshawn. What made me sick was seeing Haith's fist up in the air as he headed to shake the hands of the coaches with much more proven ability than him. I know where I would like to see his fist go next time.....

zipplus10 8 years, 7 months ago

Up 8 with 2 to go, should have won. Referees make mistakes and so do college age kids. I still struggle with making bad, impulsive decisions myself so why should I rail on a 20-something kid when he does in a ballgame. Kansas is still a great basketball team, and they are MY team. Rock Chalk! Coach Self will learn from this and hopefully future games will end better. Really stinks to give any joy to Columbia on their last visit from the Hawks, but in the end a ball game is entertainment. Wins wouldn't be special without the losses. Let's just not make them too special. We are still in first place, and Mizzoo still has to get lost in the Phog. We still win the conference in the end.

MDHawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Yes, they were shooting out of their minds, and yes, we closed the game terribly. That charge call on T-Rob was exactly the reason we lost this game. If the ref gets that call right, we are up 10 and there is absolutely no way moo comes back...absolutely no way. We were playing well down the stretch, and I think we would've won by double digits if that was called correctly. You could just feel the wind leave the sails right after that...devstating, horrible call, and even Dickie V with his 150 year old eyes said it was a bad call. In fact, he repeated it over and over again. After that, we don't score again, and they go on their run.

Horribly called game. We couldn't buy a foul, and it was a foul against us followed by ridiculous shooting that ended the game. We shouldn't have even been in a position to fold like we did...though it certainly bothers me how we didn't play through it.

Jack Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

1. I have been pretty clear about my complete disdain for officials. Just a joke. It is really unbelievable how as a group, they just ruin whatever sport they are associated with, and are completely unaccountable. To call a charge on TRob on a glancing spin move, and to call the foul on TRob on the play before when the MU guy just jumps into him .... just pure incompetence. They give MU a break on not calling Ratliffe for his third, calling it on Pressey instead. And stick Releford with a couple b.s. fouls.
  2. Taylor plays so well, then just yaks it up. But remember, the guy has really gotten under control. Has played great. The last two minutes, not so much. But he deserves a lot of leeway here.
  3. Self obviously adjusted to MU, and not the other way around. Seemed to be working. Can't argue with what we did coming out of the half.
  4. Self's end of game "strategy" .. to have Taylor penetrate. Poor choice, Bill. Really poor choice. Seriously, we've been pounding it in at will to TRob and you put the game on that? And for those that cannot bring themselves to criticize Self, this is the defining moment for you. Do you think you could have drawn up a better look, or at least called a set from your numerous options practice day after day? He made a huge, huge mistake.
  5. Wish EJ wouldn't have turned down the open look three before his wild last second attempt.
  6. Glad Teahan played well in the second half. He's worked hard with what he has.
  7. Life goes on. We control our conference destiny.

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

HEM, your posts earlier today were amazing. First ballot PHOF.

Hank Cross 8 years, 7 months ago

Yep. Especially the part about calling the play for TT.

Kye Clark 8 years, 7 months ago

Agree on all points.

In particular #4. As I said above, why call for Tyshawn to drive? As the primary option? We know he's not going to look to pass. After 3 1/2+ years here, we know, and Self has to know that too. So he's taken his best player, the hot hand, the guy who carried us the second half, out of the equation. All to give the ball to Tyshawn who we could all see crumbling, again, down the stretch. As improved as his play is lately, and as well as he played in the first half, he's never going to win us tight games. He's not going to have a Sherron moment. The sooner Self stops forcing that on him, the better we'll be.

And I'm not intending this as a pile on Tyshawn post.

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

Some bad calls. I thought the call on TT was even worse than the one of TRob, but both were crucial and went the wrong way.

Nonetheless, we didn't execute at all down the stretch and I have no idea why you wouldn't have Withey in the game for the last play. Get it inside to one of the bigs or at least be able to crash the boards. At worst draw a foul and Withey is money.

Anyway, we lost a tough one. It happens. Many to blame for that but hopefully the bad taste will provide future motivation. No matter how much we hurt, I'm sure the pain in the locker room is much greater.

Let's get 'em in Lawrence. Rock Chalk.

lionhawkward 8 years, 7 months ago

Sorry for the boys ..... but this one hurts could be last chance in chrystalbia .. 88 we had a more difficult path but .... the trash we will hear from those people will challenge our faith. Its only basketball but those with ties to history will have to dig deep on this one

brooksmd 8 years, 7 months ago

For everybody that wants to blame TT, here's the play-by-play from 2:43 down to 1:33. Not all on TT. The bs call on TRob was big.

2:43 Thomas Robinson Defensive Rebound. 71-63
2:28 Thomas Robinson missed Jumper. 71-63
2:26 Thomas Robinson Offensive Rebound. 71-63
2:22 Thomas Robinson Turnover. 71-63
2:04 71-65 Marcus Denmon made Layup. 2:04 Foul on Thomas Robinson 71-65
2:04 71-66 Marcus Denmon made Free Throw. 1:43 Foul on Thomas Robinson 71-66
1:43 Thomas Robinson Turnover. 71-66
1:33 71-69 Marcus Denmon made Three Point Jumper. Assisted by Michael Dixon. 1:30 Kansas Full Timeout.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree. The call on T-Rob looked bad to me, but we have the advantage of instant replay, and that ref looked like he was behind the play. I'm quite sure TT didn't lose that game, there wouldn't have been a lead to blow without him. God, I sure hope we beat them in Lawrence...this game will be well forgotten assuming that happens!

rawheadrex 8 years, 7 months ago

I does appear the coach made some very imprudent decisions. He has many things to recommend him, but for some inexplicable reasons, I have never been comfortable with a man who wears a hairpiece. It suggests a bit of self (if you will) deception.

VaJay 8 years, 7 months ago

Classy! Aren't you out past your bedtime - 3rd grader...

lionhawkward 8 years, 7 months ago

LOL Whining ? Define that. If you are a JAYHAWK fan and dont have passion in this rivalry then as your username states go back to Ireland get drunk and trample fans ...... we lost but it sucks !

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

Irish Charlie a drunken MU fan .. when was last time MU made a final four .... ahh never and next time ahh never

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

you know you obviously are NOT fans like the rest of us so why don't you just go to bed?? indirectly, yes, the refs were partially responsible because they took away the momentum and messed with our minds. yes, maybe we should be able to get beyond that but i'm sorry...... the refs DID play a HUGE HUGE part in this win for mizzou......... 100%.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

theend you are so nice dumb but nice. thanks can take the frustration out on you. Tyshawn is GREAT! you seem to lump the Teahan and TT comments together // my biggest question is how Self let that game get away? better use of clock in last 3 minutes would have won , Withey in game ( our best free throw shooter and have chance to lob into and get rebound) . he should have been there so TT did not have to get all the way to the rim... Denman .. the guy Teahan was guarding got 29 , he WAS in slump , but with Conner guarding he scores 29

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

At the end of the Day. We are still tied for first, we still have them coming back to our place. We don't have to play Iowa State. T Rob and Ty are both going to be all-americans. And we did a charity but letting Mizzou win. Denmon hit some amazing shots. When you hit those shots, your going to win. Its going to be okay.

142466 8 years, 7 months ago

As the Baylor game goes, so likely goes the league champion (KU or Mizzou, not Baylor). I refer to the regular season league champ.

Post-season league tournaments exploit the fans (although many fans under the age of 35 don't realize that) and the players (I'll guarantee you they know it).

If the NCAA really had BB players' interests at heart, they would award no automatic bids to league post-season tournament winners. I say not "champions". I shall never, ever, change my view on that.

Many are angry and upset with tonight's outcome. Me, too, a little bit. As I've posted before, the especially interesting thing, though, about NCAA BB is that every participant's efforts ultimately end in failure (well, OK, except for one team in early April, for one brief moment). So all participants must absorb failure into their psyche. Those young men blessed with genuine competitive natures, a measured degree of humility, growing wisdom, and with an even wiser coach, are strengthened by that failure, and further strenghtened by still more futile pursuits yet to come.

But it's sure more fun to win than to lose.

As for this year's league round robin, it's the league's most interesting BB spectical since creation of the Big12. Some dramatic games already, with many more determinative games yet to come.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Even if we do lose to Baylor, Mizzou will have to go perfect and they might. The big game is the KSU. But we still have one more shot at MIzzout at home. So as long as we can keep them in a games distance, we should be fine.

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

i need to let go but i'm still just furious. no excuse for this ending....... we didn't finish but it was stolen away from us by the idiots in the striped shirts. get the call right AND 1 and the game is probably all ours......... wow.... cannot believe they did that to us!! i hope we blow them off the court in the phog!!!!!!! lets get ready for baylor!!

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Irish Charlie, we are on the same page! I can't imagine what a bunch of whiny little b!tches we look like right now!!! It's just not possible that we occasionally lose a game to a team that played better. It always has to be someone's fault: our coach with 400+ wins, the senior point guard who can go for 20 any given night, or maybe the Big XII refs, who surely would be told to look out for the team that's leaving the conference. This loss made me sick to my stomach, but it's hardly the end of the world!

Sam Constance 8 years, 7 months ago

"It's just not possible that we occasionally lose a game to a team that played better."

No one said that isn't possible. In fact that's happened three times this year: Kentucky, Davidson, Iowa State.

Most people are saying that just isn't what actually happened here.

I do agree that it's not the end of the world, however.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

Irish Charlie a drunk Meth usin one tooth MU grad .. from da 3rd grade...

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 7 months ago

Could be. I might not agree with him on anything else, but I agree there's too much whining going on here!

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

Let this series die no sense in being their superbowl even if they only win one game every 3 years or so. We can play better programs in basketball.

Kent Kossoy 8 years, 7 months ago

Agree with brooksmd. Besides the refs gave Misery a good start in the first half. Ratcliffe gets to play with 5 fouls, ref gave one to wrong player. But our peripheral defense sucked and they did hit treys. I think we will prevail in Lawrence. As for the rivalry, let it go. I am from St. Louis and I still never liked Misery.

kureignman 8 years, 7 months ago

I've said all along we will go as far as Taylor takes us. He carried us in the first half and lost his composure in the end.

The refs had some bad calls but they are not the reason we lost. Poor execution and aweful D had much more to do with it.

Why didn't 3han have his hand up at all on D? He kept doing the "I'm not fouling him" hands half up. If you're not going to put your hand up to alter the shot, at least put a palm in his face so he can't see the basket so clearly. A couple good shots on the offensive end though.

Why did EJ not shoot at the end when he was open? He takes guarded 3s all game and yet at the end he freezes when open only to take an off balance guarded heave! Why?

HCBS, is that the best play you could draw up at the last t.o.? Couldn't you just yell it to TT, "drive out of control and make one of those off balance shots you're always doing" and save the t.o.? I felt like the half time adjustments were excellent though.

Ugh, I feel sick after this loss. I think I need to take a shower.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Teahan deff had his hands up. You put your hand in the shooters face he did that. EJ did it too and got drained on.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

Teahan has a hand up but plays 8 feet off his man or he will get blown out of his shoes.. Denman did not have 29 because of luck.. they coached to go right at Teahan the whole game .. hard for other coaches to go right at your weakest link if he only gets 9 mminutes.. why Self plays him 20+ is just crazy

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Never once played 8 feet off. Remember EJ and Releford also got scored on. Hes shots were amazing. Give credit where credit is due.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

his 6 points did not make up for giving up 29 and some terrible fouls. the main thing I have problem with him is he gets way to many minutes.. no way he should get close to same minutes as Whithey. KU way different and way better when Teahan on bench and Withey on the court .. PERIOD. if you can not see that ...wow he plays way off his man , his wing span so short the hand up does not even work. players he defends are twice as fast and bigger than he is.. is he great kid yep , should he get 20 minutes a game NO WAY

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

On a normal roster your right. But who is capable of playing the 2 or 3? He gets minutes not because he is a star but because B Mac is suspended. Can we drop the street ball understand of b ball. He didn't get 29 on him. It was much less then that. 9 of his points where of extreme difficulty, one of which was on EJ. He is a walk on, but when your back up gets suspended for the year, what other options do you have?

flyingfinn 8 years, 7 months ago

This one really hurt because if we don't beat Baylor at Baylor and K-State at K-State it does not matter what we do in Lawrence against Mizzou and the way we are playing on the road ,,,,, well we need to get better in a hurry.

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

Well then, let's beat KSU and Baylor at their places.

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

in my opinion we were better tonight which means we can be better at baylor and at ksu too.......... we got screwed tonight and had the game taken away from us by the zebras. hopefully the rematch with mizzou will mean everything and we can show them who is #1!!!!!!

142466 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree. Overall, tonight's athletic performance ranked in the top 25% of KU's outings so far this year. However, our team's mental performance, at the most crucial time of most games--the final minutes, was weak.

I am much more optimistic about the Baylor game now, than I was prior to the start of tonight's game at Mizzou.

jahawkdave 8 years, 7 months ago

I have no faith in Taylor whatsoever. He can play the game he just can't finish them (at least the big ones) this was a repeat of Duke and we'll see it happen again. Nothing's changed in 4 years. Amazing talent and amazing mistakes at the most crucial part of the game. We could have ran out the shot clock without taking a shot for the last 2:30 and had a better shot of winning than Taylor running wild. Sure he'll get us the lead but also lose it just as quick.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Shut up. I guess you have all the answers. The guy played great....had 21 points. The end of the game would not have mattered without his points. Do you think maybe at the end he was completely exhausted from playing his heart out?

So yes.....shut up.....go find another team.

lionhawkward 8 years, 7 months ago

slow down ... need a bench .. had better 1 guards in the past but putting it all on him is knee jerk. I havent always been a fan of his.... Tough environment we finished like SH_T to say the least

Sam Constance 8 years, 7 months ago

Two of the possessions that occurred within the final 2:30 were turnovers from Thomas Robinson, so.....

...are you completely clueless, or just mostly so?

Andrew Washington 8 years, 7 months ago

Did anyone else see that Syracuse vs WVU game? That shot at the end was clearly and undeniably goaltending- but none of the refs called it! ( being at Syracuse undoubtedly a factor). Refs make mistakes and it happens quite often-but I think that we are to blame for this loss. The game could have been ours if we simply managed the clock in the final minutes and held tough. Theres Something familiar about having a good sized lead and then loosing our poise in the final strech.

VaJay 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh the negativity when we lose! You really think a Bill Self coached team will Fold?? When's the last time you saw that happen. Get real & go change your underwear.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 7 months ago

Eh. It's a bummer but if Mizzou plays half that well we'll win by 25 in Allen, and they know it. The real issue is not losing any more on the road.

JmoneyJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

I just think its funny how alot of you, not all of you, but alot want to blame the coach or the players!!!!!!!!!!!! When you would be wrong and idiots. The refs had Mizzou the game on a big silver platter. Below is the wikipedia defintion of a charge. To turn and bam call the foul is not what the rule states. I hope the Big 12 and the NCAA really has a talk with that one ref about the game. Because he needs to be under review, why is he the only one that happend to see that same play even though the player was in his way of seeing the actual play.

Charging and blocking are some of the most controversial foul calls in basketball. Charging is defined as illegal contact by pushing or moving into another player's torso. Blocking is illegal contact which impedes the progress of an opponent. Sometimes, however, it can be difficult to see which player in a charging/blocking situation is at fault. In "charging/blocking situations" the offensive player is charging and the defensive player is blocking (but that is not to say charging is only committed by offensive players and so on). It is generally accepted that the offensive player should be charged with a charging foul if the defense: was still, or moving sideways or backwards but not forwards, when contact occurred took a legal guarding position before the contact, that is, one with both feet on the floor was hit on the torso (as opposed to the arm or leg) respected the elements of time and distance

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

I dont blame anyone. It happens. We lost. It sucks.

Life goes on

lionhawkward 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree, just being in that game at the end with all the emotion involved is a test to our character and toughness. The refs cant make a game changing call like that ... let them play. If we had played poorly all game I wouldnt say this because we didnt deserve to be in the game. They were the better team with all things played ... Oh I cant wait till we get to Larryville, and so much for helping the refs when they rush the court LOL Just kidding thats what seperates us RCJH

lionhawkward 8 years, 7 months ago

tauck 8 years, 7 months ago

Put that loss on SELF, turned to the wife at the end of the game when he took Withey out and said "that move just cost us the game". 8 points up and you take your best shot blocker, rebounder and shot changer out. Keep Withey in and none of the rest of the final two minute offensive and free throw debacle would have mattered, our defense would have carried us thru. This one is on you coach Self.

jaybate 8 years, 7 months ago

Self came up with a very poor scheme on offense and defense.

It made the game close.

His stars blew up down the stretch.

We lost.

We should have won.

I was way off in my prediction of a 15 point win.

Self's poor scheming guarantied KU would not separate big.

Self refused to alter KU's play to exploit the MUA KU held.

Self had his worst night on a KU bench.

Next.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Somewhat agree......but coaches are like anyone......they screw up sometimes. He did what he thought was best. It didnt work out. What can you do? Just get ready for Baylor.

razorhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Screw the blame game! We lost. We will kick their a$$ 2/25. I was raised a Jayhawk and became a Razorback, so I will proudly continue the hatred of Mizzou in the SEC!

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

i still say WE were the better team tonight............. usually i won't say that refs determined the outcome of a game but THIS TIME THEY DID 100%. plain and simple.

WIN AT BAYLOR AND KSU AND KU WINS BIG 12 PERIOD. LETS GO J HAWKS

lovemyhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

sounds good to me. hope this will fire them up big time!!

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

Not going to happen...Not with the overall talent we have this year. Remember we still have to play oklahoma state at their place and A and M there as well. I see at least 3 more loses easily. We are toast with our overall talent this year. Just being realistic.

JmoneyJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

dude you are pathetic A&M doesnt have anything but one threat, oklahoma st's biggest threat is playing like s***t, neither of them have a true big man that could handle TRob.

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

Like Missouri had a big man to handle TRob tonight, right dude.

Pitthawk34 8 years, 7 months ago

If we are not going to recruit better then we had better coach a hell of a lot better in key stretches in the game.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

one last observation.. poor coaching by Self .. no chance to win if Teahan gets more than 20 minutes of play AND the same playing time as Withey???? what a JOKE!

Hawk 90 was Whithey fouled out .. Idiot

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

So you still do not understand the concept. Your arguing playing time. Withey got in early foul trouble which took him out the most of the 1st half. Fouling out is not the only sort of foul trouble. Before you call me names, at least be educated on what you saying. Even a fool can sound wise with his mouth shut.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

Hawk 90 learn to watch the game Withey finished with 2 fouls ... is that foul trouble you think Teahan is better to have on floor or Withey? you sir .. well goes without sayin

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

And both those came in the first half. And early in the first half. Big men don't play 35 minutes. They need to be subbed in. So when you get only 5 min in the first half, you still be able to get about 15 in the second which if you do the math gives you 20 minutes. (not an exact number but the concept is the same)

Jason Wilson 8 years, 7 months ago

Let's be honest, self's overall scheme was fine, it was good enough to put us in a very, very good chance to win - up 8 with 2 minutes left. Poor decisions, mIssed free throws, a lucky shooting streak, and poor, game-changing calls by the refs combined to make us lose the game. That's the sort of combination of events you need to make an 8-point swing in the last 2 minutes. None of those factors are under self's control, and only half of them are under KU's control at all (the three's were all at least decently well defended)

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

are you joking? Teahan looks like Div ll player.. his defense ... play 8 feet back , try to close at last second because you are scared to get blown out of your shoes as they go by.... slow slow slwo can not teach speed... any poster want to tell me why down by one with 17 seconds left ... GIVE me ONE good reason Withey would be out and Teahan on court... we do not need a 3 we can use offesive rebound , he shoots great free throws , TT would not have to get all the way to goal and get the charge.. hAve hundred more reasons Self messed up with Withey on bench for that play.

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

Teahan has limitations, no doubt. But he was solid tonight. Big 3's and decent D. But I agree 100% re Withey on the last play. He needs to be out there. Greatly increases potential for positive outcomes.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

if you give up 29 to the guy you are defending .. hmmm that is good? you watched different game.. it was obvious they were coaching to go right at CT

Thad Daugherty 8 years, 7 months ago

TT lost that game for us. I don't care how brilliant he played. You gotta close it out.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

No.....he played great. he was tired at the end. We dont have enough good players to let him rest. He was exhausted. You would be too and you have no idea what it's like to play in a game like that.

CRAZY4KUSPORTS 8 years, 7 months ago

Here are my two cents. I would have been the first to bag on taylor earlier this year, but he has been great as of late. He played great again tonight. My question is why trob drives to the basket two straight possessions. We got back into the game with his back to the basket. It's not the coaches fault he decided to be selfish late. He deserves credit for getting us back into the game, but at the same time he managed to lose it for us at the end. All you bill self haters get lost. He is one of the best in the game

JmoneyJayhawk 8 years, 7 months ago

Amen to all the Bill Self haters!!!!! Get Lost!!! And I will always support my Jayhawks no matter, I love KU sports! But I like what a guy said on ESPN: It took Mizzou's best team in a decade to beat our worst team in a decade. Also if I remember when was the last time Mizzou has been to the final four, oh that is right never. We will get them at the fieldhouse. Im proud of the way they fought.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

sorry wrong comment was for the comment blaming TT he has and IS huge for this team

djhawk75 8 years, 7 months ago

Looks like everybody wants to blame one person for this loss--either Taylor, Self, Missouri's 3-pt. shooting, KU's 3-pt. shooting defense, or the refs. To me it was a perfect storm of just about all of those. Bad calls did influence the outcome of this game. So did the two free throws that Tyshawn missed. So did the big shots that Missouri hit, and the fact that our best defenders were not guarding those shooters at the time. Finally, EJ's refusal to take the open shot was the last straw. It was an ugly sight, and it always seems to happen in Columbia, MO. (Of course, the favor tends to get returned in Lawrence.)

On the bright side, I take the eye test from these teams and see that KU is actually more talented than Missouri. And that comes as a surprise because we had been lead to believe that this KU team is so undermanned that it should not be this good. Don't get me wrong, they would not compare to teams of KU's past, but I think the roster is a little better than the credit is receives. The problem is that every player had to come into this year with a very different role that the one he played his entire career at KU. They are all still adjusting. I hope after this bad loss that they regroup and take a big step forward on Wednesday.

Kye Clark 8 years, 7 months ago

Can't keep blaming our lack of depth. It's not new. It's not like there was an injury and this issue suddenly sprouted up. The "he played a lot of minutes and was gassed" argument is an excuse that barely passes for Tyshawn. But Self can either choose to do something about it, or live with the consequences. It was the Duke game all over again. Poor officiating. Tyshawn imploding, possibly due to fatigue. Self had seen this play out once already, and played it exactly the same again. Surprise! The result was the same!

I don't know what the answer is. I'm not Bill Self. But either Tyshawn is capable of playing those minutes or he's not, and if he's not stop putting the ball in his hands at the end of the game. I understand we don't have a better replacement on the bench, but if Tyshawn is exhausted you can't call two plays for him at the end of the game, something I don't think he should have done regardless.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

I think you make a good point. It's just the way it is this year. I honestly think that effort KU gave tonight would have been enough to beat most teams. Although I hate doing it....I give credit to MU. Those shots they made were amazing. No one to blame for those.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

That last play seemed like it was designed for EJ which is why he got the ball at the end. The Charge was a questionable call. Denmon hit some very difficult shots and we had two critical charges.

Kye Clark 8 years, 7 months ago

Clarification - when I say plays at the end of the game, I don't mean the final play when we're trailing by 3. I meant the couple of plays before that where Tyshawn drove.

As has been pointed out, I think it was in fact called for EJ. On a night when he shot 1-6 from beyond the arc up until that point, and on a season in which Tyshawn is shooting above 40%, when you have to have a 3-pointer and the call is for EJ...that tells me Tyshawn was in fact tired and Self didn't trust the legs under him. Which goes to the point I was making in the original post.

As for AtlJaybird's question - you try and get the ball into TRob. As I HEM said and I expanded on earlier on this thread, calling for Tyshawn to drive the ball takes your All-American out of the equation, other than an offensive rebound. Your best player is not involved in your late game plans. That's inexcusable.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Don't get lost in the rivalry,folks. Dont forget we played well on the road against an excellent team tonight. We came up short, yes. But played pretty darn good. Our talent just isn't great this year. But they may be a much different team come March. Who knows.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

It was a series of unfortunate events. The positive is we still have them back in Lawrence, and if my memory serves me right, we stomp on their throats after we lose to them. Releford in foul trouble was a huge factor.

Tony Bandle 8 years, 7 months ago

Everybody just cool it:

1] Bill Self was outcoached. 2] Taylor went brain dead. 3] Withey disappeared. 4] Teahan had no chance on defense. 5] Losing an 8 point lead with less than three minutes takes a team effort.

We're still are tied for first and we still control our own fate. Move on and beat Baylor and everybody quit this ridiculous whining...Kansas Nation is better than that...we lost, deal with it!!!!!!

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

YES!! I have been saying that all night.....although you did more eloquently than I can.....well done.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

theend are you kidding the above post was right on the head. you act as if we observe any of the things above .. we are criminals

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

• 1 look we are all on here to say what you pointed out above and nothing wrong with that. I sure am not calling you a bad fan for pointing out you 5 keys to the loss

Kye Clark 8 years, 7 months ago

Oak...where was the neon sign? Hmmm?

All your points 1-5 are spot on. That being said, I don't begrudge our fans "whining". This hurts. For all the reasons we know: first and foremost we hate Fizzou, and it puts a conference championship in serious jeopardy, and we REALLY wanted this one to stick it to Misery one last time in their own house on their way out the door. Let them get it out. And not for nothing, when things do cool down there is good reason to put this game under the microscope.

theend 8 years, 7 months ago

Well everyone......I'm out. Tough night, I know. But tomorrow is another day. This one will burn and fester a long time. But let the process begin.

AaronLudy 8 years, 7 months ago

i dont see to many true fans on here

stip talking trash on your own team...seriously bashing TT because he was leading the team....but had no help so forced things

then bash Trob for being aggresive....some of you are pathetic...ROCK CHALK FOE

p.s. the refs didnt help our cause tonight

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

Blame the refs for the 20-10 difference in fouls. Blame Taylor for playing like an idiot the last few minutes of the game. Blame Robinson for not getting involved the first half. Blame EJ for throwing up a prayer instead of the open look the second before. Blame Self for having Teahan guarding Denmon instead of playing him when Matt Pressey was in. Blame Withey for playing with no aggression whatsoever tonight. Blame the bench for scoring 9 damn points, 4 rebounds, and 4 fouls tonight in 35 minutes.

While these are all true, the most important statement is probably this: Blame the TEAM for not being mentally tough enough to handle some adversity in a hostile environment.

This team lacks the mental toughness to win close games against good teams away from AFH and that has been a problem all season long and will likely be the downfall of this team come March.

mizfan1 8 years, 7 months ago

I am a long time Mizzou fan and have been to lots of games between these two teams in Columbia but never in AFH. I must say that tonight was the first time that I saw two great teams. This was a heavy weight bout with both teams taking punches and getting right back up. Thomas Robinson is a BEAST! Unstoppable! T. Taylor was lights out for 36 minutes of the game. Although I dislike Kansas with a passion as much as you all hate Mizzou, I respect the hell out of your program and coach. It has taken me a long time to build up enough fortitude to say this but I am going to miss the KU! The charge call on Robinson was a no call in my opinion. From my vantage point at the game, the refs were completely out of position. Should have been two points. Perhaps could have been a foul on Moore as well. Anyways, KU proved me wrong, they are a great team AGAIN and will go a long ways in the tournament. You will definitely get your revenge in 3 weeks. Just go kick Baylor's tail on Wednesday!

championhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

+1 mizfan

Have to agree with you on the refs being out of position. Slowed down the charge call on Robinson and am not sure that the red who calle the play could see past Taylor standing in front of him!

Can't wait till Feb. 25! I will be back in AFH for the first time in 6 years for the game!

FLJHK 8 years, 7 months ago

Classy comments mizfan. True, I do hate Mizzou like you hate KU, but I will greatly miss the rivalry. It's a bit one-sided in hoops, but a coin flip in football, and has always been fun nonetheless.

The rivalry ends this season, and that is all on Mizzou. Too bad. Had you bolted for the Big 10 I'd at least have understood even though it would have been unfortunate. But going to the SEC is sad. I truly think you will miss us more than we will miss you.

See you in Lawrence. It's not likely to be pretty.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

What were these horrible stupid plays that TY made? The charge was questionable, he lost footing or got pushed on the turnover. He missed the free throws but thats not stupid play because he did get a chance by driving.

Stop being sour losers. Mizzou won this game. They had some great shots. If we didn't keep reaching in and hacking, then we wouldn't have been in foul trouble Mizzou is ranked 4 for a reason. We still have 1 more game with them. The world is very far from being over.

texashawk10 8 years, 7 months ago

The charge was a bad play by Tyshawn because he wasn't looking for a shot, he was looking for contact to draw a foul instead and he put himself in a bad position to have a charge called against him regardless of whether or not that was a bad call.

Spencer Goff 8 years, 7 months ago

I cannot believe I have to do this, I have to stick up for Taylor and be a homer and blame the refs.

Without Taylor we are out of the game by halftime, so don't worry about blowing an 8 point lead at the end.

There were some absolute garbage calls all night; jump shooting team that throws up miracle three pointers all night vs. a team that pounded the ball inside and yet we attempt 9 free throws to their 20? I have never seen a team less rewarded for going inside than KU tonight. I feel like I need to call Mark Cuban and get him involved.

We got jobbed. My favorite part was Frank Haith still subtley trying to insinuate that Mizzou was getting "too many fouls called" because Ratlip had to set the bench some in the first half.

I ask again; is the Big 12 the only conference dumb enough to not have their refs job the team leaving their conference? Isn't that one of those unwritten rules of athletics?

You don't see West Virginia getting calls in the Big East do you?

KissMyPhoggyHaase 8 years, 7 months ago

+1 for the taylor comment.woulda been down 15 at half if not for him.

championhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

I love how everyone on this board can do nothing but blame TT.

Without Taylor in the first half, we are down by probably 15 instead of 5. he played unbelievable when our only all-American (as one poster said) wasn't showing up. Without TT's first half we aren't even in the game at the end. Be thankful he is on the team this year, otherwise no one would be running this team (that is in response to someone who said he isn't a point guard and wishes someone else was running the team. Who else on this team can break down the defense and make things happen? Please let me know).

It's amazing how everyone will jump on TT bc he didn't play well at the end, despite being one of the main reasons we were in that position to begin with. But somehow Teahan gets a free pass and people actually stick up for him. Is that because TT actually has athleticism and Teahan is NOT a high major basketball player? He hits 2 threes in te entire game and that means he did nothing to hurt us. Anyone remember the 2 atrocious turnovers he had? One where he practically handed the ball to MU for a breakaway and the other where he got a steal and then gave it right back instead of having a breakaway for us?

But let's keep ragging on the person who kept us in the game.

Kye Clark 8 years, 7 months ago

I think the statement "everyone on this board can do nothing but blame TT" means you haven't read everyone on this board. Do that and then check back...

OK ya back? There's blame on the refs, Coach Self, Connor, Withey. So clearly you're overly defensive about Tyshawn. Despite that, I'm going to ask if you are incapable of laying any of the blame at his feet? Yes he kept us in the game in the first half and should be applauded for that, but he disappeared in the second half (as you claim our All-American did in the first half), until he hurt us late. And he did. If you can't see that, then you are incapable of viewing it objectively. He's a mixed bag, and unfortunately the bad half of that bag was on display in the final minutes when the game is magnified. Yes, Connor made some horrendous plays and generally did not play good defense. But expectations are different for him. Connor is a walk-on given a scholarship and playing time due to dire circumstances. Tyshawn is a four-year starter. Of course people are going to expect more from Tyshawn. And he gives you a lot more, no doubt about it. But that also doesn't mean we just turn a blind eye to some of the negatives.

championhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

Sorry for including "everyone" itc, should have said "many" instead. And I''ll respond to your comment respectfully instead of being condescending like you were...

I'm not trying to be overly protective of TT, just trying to make a point that without him, we aren't in this game at half time and would be ranked much lower than we are right now. Yes, the game is magnified at the end, but someone who can actually follow the game and take a whole game's performance into account would see we are not in the position we were at the end of the game without Taylor.

And I'm sorry, but I can't hold Teahan to a lower standard. He is playing for Kansas, one of the top programs in the country. Moody was a walk on(ironic he comes up tonight) and actually made contributions to the team. So I can't give him a free pass like others on this board will do.

Alex Berger 8 years, 7 months ago

Who's this Taylor guy everyone is talking about?

KissMyPhoggyHaase 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow. where to start? Yeah, taylor pulled a moody and missed the free throws. Yeah, the refs blew some calls but there's alot more to the loss than that.I don't like to get on players and I know he had a big steal and 3 toward the end but Teahan is pretty much worthless. Rather see Merv or Niko out there. Did Withey play in the 2nd half cause i don't remeber him even playing. Releford had some bad foul calls early which kinda took him outta his game. Anybody else notice how Robinson's getting in the habit of not contesting shots so he can get rebounds easier? Wesley came out and gave us some good mins in the 1st half and Young had a couple nice blocks and hustle plays. Don't know if the coaching staff let it happen but we got waaaaay to relaxed in the last 6 mins. Why did T-Rob not touch the ball in any of the posessions after that ridiculous offensive foul call? I know Taylor was having a good night but all his pts were coming off jumpers and 3's, not driving. T-Rob was killing it in the 2nd half. I think coaches are starting to catch onto that curling hand off we run everytime we need a three (you know the one Chalmers hit the shot from). Johnson did get open off it tho but what the hell was he doing. When that play was called in the huddle before the mizzou free throws he knew he was getting the ball. He had the chance to be the hero and pissed it away. Better grow some if he wants to be the man next year.

championhawks 8 years, 7 months ago

I don't think the last play called for Johnson to take that shot. Teahan was fading to the corner off a screen, but MU played it well (probably bc they were ready for that play as well!) When that didn't pan out, it was too late for Johnson to take the open shot he had 2 seconds before.

JayHok 8 years, 7 months ago

Vitale and Gotlieb both say we got hosed on the Robinson foul. That's good enough for me. 6 point swing at a crucial time but worst of all, momentum lost. Robinson didn't do a thing wrong there.

That was the game. Without that moment we don't choke it away. We would have had a 8 point lead with 90 seconds to go.

Self can't control the refs.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 7 months ago

The game tonight was what it was.

All you people with your asinine comments hating on each other are what make me embarrassed to be a Jayhawk fan...

AZHawk72 8 years, 7 months ago

Wow, those last three minutes were some of the most painful I've watched. This will be up there with our inability to make half our free throws against Syracuse in the national championship game, our inability to dominate inside against either Northern Iowa or Virginia Commonwealth, and our total meltdown against clearly-outmanned Bucknell.

Yet I'm not devastated, just disappointed with the outcome. When Johnson plays all forty minutes, how can we be surprised with the last hideous attempt? Coach Self has never played without depth before, but now depth-wise we're a kiddie pool. Look at their faces--our players gave everything they had, and when it counted, there is nothing left. As bad as the call on Robinson was, it wasn't as bad as the minutes logged by three of our starters.

It never should have come to asking kids to do more than is physically, mentally, and emotionally possible, but it did. Next year, with depth to the max, we'll be without Taylor, Robinson, and Teahan, so we'll have six or seven freshmen who will dwarf Taylor's turnovers, Tharpe will enjoy Emporia, and we'll miss the veterans who gave everything they had--and then some.

AZHawk72 8 years, 7 months ago

AZHawk72 8 years, 7 months ago

KissMyPhoggyHaase 8 years, 7 months ago

Get off Taylors ace. Dude played 38 mins balls to wall. Chasing great guards around screens and bring up the ball the floor and making plays all game. He ran out of gas and didn't have his legs. Anybody that has played basketball knows having your legs is a major part of free throws. You can tell he didn't have em by the way he shot the ball with no rotation. It wasn't him deciding to drive on all them final posessions, that's what self wanted out of him. He may be a knucklehead but if Self would've called plays out of them timeouts we would have ran them. They cleared the floor and wanted him to try and get to the rack and get fouled like he did. Just couldn't get them to fall. He did make a very smart play by fouling their only 70% free throw shooter after that tho.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 7 months ago

Taylor NOT the problem... here is what ESPN says and KU fans blind if they do not see it.... 1. Conner Teahan looked overwhelmed guarding Marcus Denmon. The speed of the game was a bit too fast for Teahan in the first half. He settled down to hit a couple of 3s and got a steal, yet he lost Denmon on a huge 3 when Kansas was up five with 1:30 to go. Of all the remarkable things with this Kansas team, Teahan playing a major role is remarkable -- but until Saturday, he hadn't hit a shot (relatively speaking) in conference play. The issue still for Kansas is that it must get something out of its bench. Teahan's 3s are a start, but his defense makes him a liability.

johnnyphoton 8 years, 7 months ago

Bouncing Baylor is the antidote for this Missouri malaise. Man up, focus, take care of business, and the conference road will have to go through Lawrence. Get 'em, Jayhawks.