Kansas defeats Missouri, 87-86

• 3 p.m., Feb. 25, 2012
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: Taylor's free throws, Robinson's block give KU thrilling 87-86 OT win over Missouri

Tyshawn Taylor put in two free throws with eight seconds left in overtime, and Missouri's Michael Dixon passed the ball away on MU's final possession as time expired as the Jayhawks came away with a thrilling 87-86 overtime victory over Missouri on Saturday afternoon at Allen Fieldhouse.

Thomas Robinson, meanwhile, came up with one of the biggest blocks in Kansas history, rejecting Phil Pressey's layup attempt with two seconds left in regulation to keep the score tied at 75.

KU trailed, 58-39, with 16:42 left in the second half before making the huge comeback.

Robinson led KU with 28 points and 12 rebounds, while Tyshawn Taylor added 24 points in 44 minutes.

MU's Marcus Denmon contributed 28 points on 10-for-15 shooting.

With the win, KU clinches at least a share of the Big 12 regular-season title.

KU (24-5, 14-2 Big 12) will play at Oklahoma State at 8 p.m. Monday.

KU coach Bill Self postgame press conference

KU players Tyshawn Taylor, Thomas Robinson and Conner Teahan postgame press conference

Comments

Kuhawkdave 7 years, 11 months ago

What a Game! Going to miss it! But what a way to out! Rock Chalk!

Andrew Bary 7 years, 11 months ago

TT redeemed himself from every wrong he ever committed with this game.

kj_hawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I always loved TT. I know it's hard sometimes but the dude is true Crimson & Blue.

Joey Berland 7 years, 11 months ago

I think I now respect TT as much or more than any KU player for some time. I'm genuinely proud of him. He's come a long way.

RISEABOVEHATE 7 years, 11 months ago

Lots and lots of people was on hand for the Kansas Jayhawks vs Missouri Tigers finale.

Here is the list of who was there at the game that took place in Allen Field House.

The San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Cavaliers, Golden State Warriors, Charlotte Bobcats, Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs and former Jayhawk Kevin Pritchard with the Indiana Pacers are in attendance.

That is just part of it. It even gets better.

headlined by Shabazz Muhammad, the top-ranked player in 2012. KU’s 2012 signees Perry Ellis and Landen Lucas are joined by 2013 commitments Conner Frankamp and Brannen Greene. Tony Parker and Jakarr Sampson are the other 2012 unsigned players attending, and junior Semi Ojeleye, brother of K-State’s Victor Ojeleye, also is attending.

I wonder if that is a sign that Kansas Jayhawks is going to land Shabazz Muhammad. That would be so awesome to watch Perry Ellis and Shabazz Muhammad light up the score board.

Just all those players and teams being there got alot of media attention today.

And again. Kusports.com didn't even know nothing about it at all because they never even reported nothing. pretty sad.

The staff didn't even know about all of that.

moe19 7 years, 11 months ago

I'll take my crow now and LOVE it. I was sure of a loss after that first half. This team didn't give up today.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

It would have been miserable --- just frickin' miserable had we lost. I am glad we won because we really fought back hard. Hope we have enough in the tank for Monday night! Enjoy this moment, though.

bwag 7 years, 11 months ago

Misouri can now go the SEC as it should be...Border War over, they lost.

Micky Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

TT only committed one wrong down the stretch, but KU beat MU at MU's own game down the stretch, particularly with the assist from Johnson and the dunk by Taylor.

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

Tyshawn was brilliant down the stretch, and let's not overlook assists from Thomas, and great minutes from Kevin Young and Conner Teahan.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 11 months ago

OK. I'm asking nicely for the third time. I'm a busy man. What recruits were in AF today?

brooksmd 7 years, 11 months ago

Ellis and Frankencamp (sp). Not sure who else. With the NBA Allstar break many former players.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 11 months ago

Shabazz Muhammad, Perry Ellis, Tony Parker, Landen Lucas, JaKarr Sampson, Brannen Greene, Semi Ojeleye and Conner Frankamp.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks to all, especially to cshjhawk

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks to all, especially to cshjhawk

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!

RISEABOVEHATE 7 years, 11 months ago

also at the game The San Antonio Spurs, Cleveland Cavaliers, Golden State Warriors, Charlotte Bobcats, Phoenix Suns, Sacramento Kings, San Antonio Spurs and former Jayhawk Kevin Pritchard with the Indiana Pacers

Yeah. Its still sad that kusports.com staff didn't even know that they was at the game. They probably didn't even know they was even going to show up.... There is not even one single report on kusports.com that stats the players that was going to show up.

good thing i was at the game yesterday.

<p>Kusports.com staff might wanna get to work because its already 24 hours and still no report...Just shows you how slow they are at getting this type of news.

kj_hawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Why would he be there? Other than the fact there is nowhere else worth being today.

en1gmatikk 7 years, 11 months ago

Were you drunk when you were slamming Self's coaching a while back?

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

you mean when T Rob and Withey were in foul trouble? Kind of hard not to play small when your tallest guy was 6'8

Laura Hrabak 7 years, 11 months ago

Please realize that it was Self benching them and allowing the MU guys to get in fould trouble instead that probably allowed us to not only come back but foul them out and win. It was a long run strategy but today it worked.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

How did that work out for the mizzou coach who played his guys with 2 fouls in the first half?

en1gmatikk 7 years, 11 months ago

Why should the #3 team in the country expect to lose any game by 20?

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

What game where you watching? When Pressey and Ratliffe went out with 4, we went on a huge run.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

What if we were in the same scenario. What if Self plays T Rob still and he picked up a 3rd in the 1st half, and then another one in the second half. Do you think we win at that point?

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Don't be a little arrogant punk. You try to act smart but you just some fat slob who probably has never played a sport in your life. I asked if T Rob is in major foul trouble and has to be out the majority of the second half, do we still win? And you said yes. Which means either you expect a huge 1st half or you don't understand that concept of foul trouble. Try to learn the basics of basketball before you start talking trash.

Alex Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Don't worry about it Hawk. Everyone knows manginor is a putz. Just avoid him.

hawk_of_ages 7 years, 11 months ago

Uh, considering that the game went 45 minutes, and considering the kind of calls we were getting in the 1st half, I'm glad that the big men sat awhile rather than going into halftime with 3 or 4 fouls.

I've seen coaches gamble on that -- and live to regret it -- many, many times. The most recent example, of course, being Frank Haith, in this game.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Based on pure speculation. The basics of basketball obviously escape you. Like I state earlier, if in the same situation we would have lost. T Rob picks up a third in the first half now he is in foul trouble. All he needs is one more in the 2nd to have him sit 10 minutes. With your nice math, he still would only get 25. Every coach in America would have taken T rob out when Self did. Poor bench management is a reason Mizzou lost.

Kendall Simmons 7 years, 11 months ago

Nah...it was my "magic bladder"!

I have an amazing record of KU coming from behind to win games if I go to the bathroom during crunch time. That rally from 19 down? The last 60 seconds of overtime? I was doing my part :-)

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 11 months ago

I hate to break the news, but I reversed my sweatshirt when we were 17-points down. It was my 'Rally' shirt that did it.

brooksmd 7 years, 11 months ago

No. It was the fact that I went out at half-time and ran the tiller in the garden. When I got back in the house there were 6 minutes left and we were only down by 5. So tilling the garden was the trick.

Thad Daugherty 7 years, 11 months ago

Nah, It was because my wife went and put our daughter into her Jayhawks onsie.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

You make some good points as usual but with a few surprises... A head coach who tries to get the best from ALL his players and whose demeanor shows they want to learn. 5 Star Buyer. Top players.

John Smith 7 years, 11 months ago

Weird how Missouri was so slow getting the ball up the court that last possession. Like they had all the time in the world.

Hank Cross 7 years, 11 months ago

Yep. Leave it Mizery to lose focus at the end. signed, Tyus Edney

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

Conner was just an absolute man on defense!

He was guarding some of the quickest guys in D1.

He was tripping, and pulling, and grabbing jerseys and doing everything he was supposed to do all season.

It was his finest hour.

It was all of their finest hours.

No one comes back from that far against a Top 5 ranked team! No one!

These guys are special.

These guys are special.

These guys are special.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

EJ did not get the same calls when he drove down into the paint where the other players did... Consistently though, he kept at it and was starting to pick it up.

Alex Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

I think we had some AFH magic help us for sure. Let's just hope we don't have to try and do that again this season.

BigJayhawkPhan 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm speechless. I'm so happy for those kids I'm literally tearing up right now. What heart!! Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!!

nuleafjhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

WOW.

This could NOT have been more sweet. That's going to leave a BAAAAAD taste in MU's mouths. This was much better than a 20 point win.

I think I just peed myself.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

LMAO..but lay off on the coming new rules and not wasting time off from "practice" . Iverson couldn't see the connection but be careful as many cannot find any...

Laura Hrabak 7 years, 11 months ago

Recruits commit on the court following the game????? I would after one of the greatest games in Big 12 and NCAA conference play history!!!

hawkinportland 7 years, 11 months ago

wow. Rock Chalk. Mizzou good riddance and join the SEC. never liked you, and now even less. Great game 'hawks!!!!

Orangedog87 7 years, 11 months ago

The best game I never wanted to finish watching

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

This will be an ESPN Classic game by next week.

texashawk10 7 years, 11 months ago

Except ESPN didn't show it so sadly it won't be.

Alex Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't think it has to be on ESPN originally to be on ESPN classic. They play National Championship games all the time.

Jeff Kilgore 7 years, 11 months ago

Ok, no recruits were here. Would somebody who gets paid to check this compare Tyshawn's turnovers before and after his knee work. He's a vastly different player now.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

We beat a Top 5 ranked team shooting only 50% from the stripe!!!

Amazing.

But we shot 47% from trey...

And Conner Teahan was 4-4 from trey!!!!!

4 for !@#$%^ing 4!!!!!

SDSurferFan 7 years, 11 months ago

With our 7fter a non factor. Impressive.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 11 months ago

KU shot 22-33 from the stripe, that is 66.7%

Robert Murphy 7 years, 11 months ago

Great finish to one of Americas best sports rivalries . Can't say enough about this team. Taylor and Robinson get their shirts in the rafters. Historical moment.

fansincewilt 7 years, 11 months ago

I hope Withey can go Monday but KY did a good job.

MrPilot 7 years, 11 months ago

All I can say is Rock Chalk Frickin' Jayhawk!!!!!

Bye Bye Mizzou!

Micky Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

KU missed 10 of the first 20 FTs they attempted. Then they made 12 of the last 13.

This needs to be worked on, but down the stretch they made more than Mizzou did.

If they had made that percentage the whole game, the momentum wouldn't have swung with Mizzou so hard and it probably would have been a double digit win by KU.

But great teams overcome things like that.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

"But great teams overcome things like that."

Very true but are we a GREAT team? At moments yes..but still no 40/45 min game at a high level.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

Game-gasm.

Game-gasm.

Game-gasm.

Even Self was walking off the floor roaring!!!!!

Kontum1972 7 years, 11 months ago

Larry Brown looked great...Hey Roy, i hope u were watching the game..we did not need a aircraft carrier to win....

FLJHK 7 years, 11 months ago

Mizzou seals their permanent Big 8/12 identity: just not quite good enough.

JayhawkPiller82 7 years, 11 months ago

I wish WE could play Kentucky every year... Seriously folks! Wouldn't you rather see them in Allen every other year....instead of North Dakota....or Howard or Townsend .... And not having to join the Confederacy would just be a bonus!!!! LOL

litlmikeyb 7 years, 11 months ago

Three most memorable KU games of this century - '08 Championship Game, 2OT New Year's Day Game vs. GTech and today's unbelievable win.

Andrew Bary 7 years, 11 months ago

Oh my God yes. I saw the GT game... I think I remember they said it set a record for noise in the Fieldhouse? I was in basic training during the '08 championship game, so I missed it, but I totally agree.

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

Don't forget the day Bud hung 50 on Fizzou at home. That's memorable.

Robert Murphy 7 years, 11 months ago

Missouri can hold their heads up high.They came up one point and one second Short. Both team deserve credit for a very entertaining game.

Gregor Southard 7 years, 11 months ago

I'd like to watch this game again... with decent camera work. Who let Andy Warhol direct anyway?

Lacy Mohler 7 years, 11 months ago

Andy Warhol--LOL---well said. Weren't those terrible camera angles?

There is a reason basketball games have had the same camera angles since TV began. They work! I don't want to look the length of court at players' backs or looking down like I'm floating above the backboard. CBS--stop being creative.

However, best game ever -- even with CBS camera person trying to screw it up.

Kyle Sybesma 7 years, 11 months ago

No Joke!! It's not about you CBS. Broadcast the game with what works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

jaybate 7 years, 11 months ago

Good 87

Evil 86

See you suckers in the Conference Tournament!!!!!

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

That's a fine line, my friend, between good and evil .. much like life.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

I can recognize it mentally..but not so much on forums such as these.

Evil DOES exist, so the rest should also.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 11 months ago

If my math is correct didn't we win the conference? Up two games on Missouri with two games left!

BigJayhawkPhan 7 years, 11 months ago

Yes, KU has no worse than a share of the Big 12 title...for the EIGHT STRAIGHT YEAR!!!!!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

Yeah..a tie is guaranteed and no tiebreakers. Matters most in Big 12 Tourney.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self said in the interview after the game that there's no need to share it. Next two games, we gotta go get 'em!

Andrew Washington 7 years, 11 months ago

Very unlikely that we lose the next two games in a row.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm eating crow...BBQ, Broiled and ice cold. Loving it!

jaycon11 7 years, 11 months ago

the biggest bunch of overachievers that self has ever assembled.

BigJayhawkPhan 7 years, 11 months ago

Hands down. I'm so damn proud of these kids!!!!

en1gmatikk 7 years, 11 months ago

T-Rob : Big 12 POY; KU: Big 12 Champs, #3 in the country next week and #1 seed in the NCAA tournament...?

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

Forgot Big 12 Coach of the Year and potentially National Coach of the Year

Orangedog87 7 years, 11 months ago

Rock Chalk KU players and coaches.........it was painful but now it is great

bwag 7 years, 11 months ago

Sweet torture...sweet release...what does that remind you of?

SDSurferFan 7 years, 11 months ago

Crazy. Down 19 and I am saying to myself there is no way the Phog will let this happen. Amazing. Is there a better sport?

If Shabaaz doesn't sign then he has different things in mind for college.

en1gmatikk 7 years, 11 months ago

At half time the level of whining and crying on this board was disgraceful...NEVER discount the second half

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

1. TT - Redemption.
  2. TRob - POY.
  3. Bill Self - Masterful.
  4. KY - Lifesaver.
  5. Referees - Thanks.
  6. Teahan - Best .. game .. ever.

And after that, we should end this series?

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

HEM..you deserve to be noticed for your calm, never say die comments at Halftime..

aerohawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Agree. I would like to give props to Kevin Young. Before the game I would have told you we can't win if JW's stat line was 1 board and 2 points in 9 minutes. The biggest 5-8-4 game ever. Good 28 minutes.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

5 for 5..Teahan still cannot stay w/his assignment... Far to many blown coverages.

Dan Harris 7 years, 11 months ago

you must have been watching another game because Teahan was unbelievable on defense!

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

Frank Haith imo.. BUT, Miami probe follows Frank Haith.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

He won't get Big XII Coach of Year...too much politics and people aren't going to vote for him...they will gently kick him out the door.

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

Ending the series has never been about what has happened on the court

Bob Shands 7 years, 11 months ago

1 or #2 recruit in the country, Shabazz Muhammed, was supposed to be behind the KU bench today.

dogbones 7 years, 11 months ago

Yeah he was there. Saw him behind the bench during a shot of the team. Several other recruits i didn't recognize as well. Jakarr Sampson was supposed to be there and there was mention that Tony Parker may have been as well.

Alex Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Tony Parker tweeted today he was on his way to Kansas.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self's interview, he's so so happy and excited and proud. He said this game meant so much to so many. So good to see him so happy with these guys.

Poor Jeff. I know he hated not being a part of it on the court.

Michael Bratisax 7 years, 11 months ago

Honestly, I thought K Young was more than just a replacement.. Solid throughout the game.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 11 months ago

Kevin was great. He was smiling and relaxed and happy. Like, no worries, I got this.

Dan Harris 7 years, 11 months ago

Well I guess changing my entire KU outfit worked again! Had not done that since the 08 championship. I know, I'm dorky. Way to go Hawks!!!!

kureignman 7 years, 11 months ago

Me too! Been doin that since the Keith Langford days.

Dan Harris 7 years, 11 months ago

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 11 months ago

Thanks to you from all Jayhawk fans everywhere! If it wasn't for your contributions, we would have lost the game!

jaycon11 7 years, 11 months ago

end this series. send methlab u. to the hillbilly sec where they belong. as for this game, 'revenge is a dish best served cold.' eat up, hillbillies.

Orangedog87 7 years, 11 months ago

Yikes.....I dont think my satellite DVR recorded all the OT even with the added extension....was looking forward to viewing in a less agitated state....please let me know when/where/how to get a full view copy

Great game KUBB.....it means so much to KU, KU students, KU alums, KUBB alums etc and especially since you battled back from the dark undertow

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

i had to keep clicking record...But you are right the extra 30 minutes wasn't enough...some people are going to be awfully upset.

Jocelyn Kennedy 7 years, 11 months ago

Mine stopped right before Tyshawn's free throws!!

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

I couldn't believe half the posters on the board during half time. Giving up like that, saying they were embarrassed. Its okay to doubt your going to win, but to be embarrassed is a whole different thing. But I guess now the same people who were whinging are now the biggest fans....

Duke Christoffersen 7 years, 11 months ago

Now I can legitimately argue with the women who tell me I don't know what it's like to have a baby. Brutal pain immediately followed by elation.

bwag 7 years, 11 months ago

I thought that was what made babies.

connhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I wouldn't be so sure about that. T-Rob was incredible today, but Davis was a beast today also (28 Pts, 11 Reb, 2 Stl, 6 Blk). Granted, it was against inferior competition, but that's still an impressive stat line.

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm for TRob 100%, but POY will depend on which team (UK or KU) goes farther in the Tournament. I know it's not supposed to be a factor, but prison inmates are not supposed to have access to guns, drugs, etc. You know the drill.

Sam Constance 7 years, 11 months ago

Isn't POY voted on before the tournament takes place?

Alex Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

I think it's in the middle of the tournament. Maybe before Final Four?

onlylookin2score 7 years, 11 months ago

If this win doesn't put Bill Self just behind Phog Allen as the most legendary coaches in KU history... I just don't know what would.

Cora Smith 7 years, 11 months ago

We went from the walking dead to walking the gaslight district in St. Louis in a 15 minute span! Unbelievable!

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

St. Louie, babee! You got that right. T-Rob is probably POY and unless we do a face plant, probably a #1 seed.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 11 months ago

Wasn't it wissoxfan who couldn't watch bc of a wedding? Oh, man, what a game to keep track of away from a tv/radio. Hope he can catch it somewhere online.

aerohawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I live out of the country and have a very hard time getting any coverage other than Jesse's live coverage, which I appreciate. There was a stream today, but it got cut off with 16 seconds left in regulation. It sucked.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

You can get DirecTV almost anywhere...and then you can get the regional coverage of about anywhere...well worth it.

girlygirl84 7 years, 11 months ago

The two epic games between KU and MU this season just underscore why this series needs to keep going.

T-Rob and Tyshawn came up huge for KU. And I have to give major props to Marcus Denmon -- that guy is so clutch..

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 11 months ago

Missouri only has a good team occasionally, so we'd probably have to wait another 200 years to have two game like this again. I'm glad they're going.

Marcia Parsons 7 years, 11 months ago

Steve Jacob 7 years, 11 months ago

Up by three and and you foul a guy at the bucket. Unbelievable.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 11 months ago

The team is being interviewed live now on MetroSports in KC! They are so happy!!

Just finished up with the sad MU team.

FarSideHawk 7 years, 11 months ago

What was wrong with Withey today? Was he hurt? How?

MrPilot 7 years, 11 months ago

He sprained his ankle or something early in the first half. He came back in briefly after going back to the locker room, but ended up sitting most of the game. I'm guessing Self didn't want to take a chance on exacerbating whatever injury he had.

AsadZ 7 years, 11 months ago

He came back but was a non factor on D due to not being 100%. MU was scoring easily. HCBS had to sit him. KY did heck of a job in his absence.

Sam Constance 7 years, 11 months ago

Looked like a knee to me. Perhaps the one that had the brace on it?

aerohawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Even if the refs were to blame, and I am not saying they are, it would only be fair based on the game in Columbia.

Bryan Mayes 7 years, 11 months ago

It was bound to happen. It's nice to be on the beneficial end of some questionable calls for once.

-Don't phuck with the phog!!

texashawk10 7 years, 11 months ago

I thought this game was much better officiated than the first one. There were a few bad calls here and there, but it wasn't as atrocious as the game in Columbia.

Sam Constance 7 years, 11 months ago

Don't forget the 1000-word diatribe "debunking" the "myth" of Kansas Basketball.

I can at least identify with MU fans blaming refs after a 1-pt loss to their most hated (and obsessed over) rival. What I can't understand i how they can convince themselves that the entirety of Kansas' 100 years of basketball tradition is all a giant conspiracy.

Unbelievable. Or... Missourian.

en1gmatikk 7 years, 11 months ago

Who needs drugs to get high..just be a Jayhawk fan!

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Well during football season drugs seemed like the best way.

Jim Dickerson 7 years, 11 months ago

Is doing vodka via IV anything like drugs. Last 2 mins of OT I couldn't drink fast enough

seattlehawkfan 7 years, 11 months ago

After that game KU should reconsider not playing MU , what a great rivalry

FLJHK 7 years, 11 months ago

We're happy to continue the rivalry. MU simply needs to rescind their move to the SEC. Otherwise, we've got bigger and better fish to fry.

brooksmd 7 years, 11 months ago

As others have stated, a single game on a neutral court will mean nothing without a conference title at stake. All they have to do is cancel their SEC deal and all is well. Other than that they can bésame el culo.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

Some of their comments just make me laugh. It's cannabalism, babeee!

jaycon11 7 years, 11 months ago

whoever is responsible for the 'decades od dominance' poster needs to update it.

KansasComet 7 years, 11 months ago

Awesome game to watch. Missouri Tigers are one heck of a team! Most teams would have folded in Allen Field House. Series may not be over with. We still have the Big XII Tournament. Kansas has players with heart. I loved every minute of this game. I know what we are capable of in the Field House, now let's show what we are capable of away from home. Thomas Robinson, way to take over in crunch time. Tyshawn Taylor, way to make the Tigers pay for giving you even the slightest of openings! Elijah, you were great...awesome defense and shooting. Connor Teahan, way to not be just a "front runner", awesome job of hitting clutch jump shots when this team was relying on you! You proved that you have a role on this team and you belong! Kevin Young, way to get in there and mix it up, awesome dunks, and great steals. Today is a great day to be a Kansas University fan. Shabazz, thanks for coming, we hope you enjoyed the show, now come be a part of it! I know I said as many "awesomes" as DIckie V, but this feels great!

milehighhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

Don't get it twisted. You were wrong. Act like a grown-up and admit it for once.

Eric J. Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self's change to a matchup zone, his decision to play Kevin Young so much (I think Withey's ankle was only part of it, KY just matched up better), his play calling, his motivation, all won it just as much as the talent. This is about the dumbest comment I've seen on this site in a very long time.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

How about instead of dancing around trying to attack things that don't matter, you man up and actually counter argue like a big boy. If you have nothing intelligent to offer on the topic of the board, just don't talk.

Eric J. Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

Hurhur, look at me! I can win arguments by nitpicking tiny details! I demonstrate absolutely no knowledge to support the claims I make, but I sure can point out grammar mistakes! Look at me! Look at me!

Ten points if you can guess who I'm impersonating...

It's you...

(You're counting the number of periods in my ellipses, aren't you?)

texashawk10 7 years, 11 months ago

There needs to be one more game in two weeks. These two games this year are why this rivalry is so special. I'm still of the opinion that I would love to see this rivalry continue, but I understand why it won't and don't blame anyone who feels that way. It's a shame what money and greed has done to our society and how it's ruined everything it touches.

keithwt 7 years, 11 months ago

I wanna thank all of the fans that hung in to watch the Jayhawks storm back for the win. I tuned in near the end of the 1st half when we had come back from 5 down to take a 2 pont lead, and then quickly went down by 5 again. I felt I was giving bad mojo to my team so I vowed to stopped watching. I started watching this blog with about 7 minutes left and we had closed the gap. Little did I know that we had closed the gap from 19. Wow!

Kye Clark 7 years, 11 months ago

Let me make an appeal to all of Jayhawk nation - don't go to the Misery boards and troll. If you must go there and read their comments so be it, but don't lower yourself to the level of the trolls we all hate on here by injecting your comments into their conversation. We're supposed to be better than that. Don't be the few bad apples that spoil the bunch.

MizzouBest 7 years, 11 months ago

Icthawkfan316- I hope you don't think of me as a troll......hopefully more like an obnoxious but likeable moron. A troll I consider someone that cloaks themselves and tries to instigate.....at least you know I'm MU.

Congrats on tthe game. Nice comeback. Actually....and honestly....I wasn't surprised at all.

Hopefully we will play again in a few weeks.....and who knows maybe again a few weeks later!

Micky Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

ESPN blocked me from the boards there today for 24 hours, because I called one guy a moron.

The mizzou fans were off the hook there, and they removed me. Really not a good way for ESPN to earn my trust. They're lucky they pretty much have a monopoly on college sports.

CBS isn't much better with the coverage. They skipped the first 4 minutes of the game here for the end of the UCLA/Arizona game. I do believe that the DFW area is Big 12 country too. Not sure what they were thinking. They also had some camera angles where you couldn't see half the players on the court.

CBS was terrible in their coverage today.

Brennan Keller 7 years, 11 months ago

Great win by KU today! Looking forward to being there next year for my freshman year of college. However, I was very dissapointed with the game coverage from CBS. The camera angles were awful. CBS zooms in way to close to the point where the basket is not even in view. The commentators were all Mizzou. I wish ESPN would have covered this game.

keithwt 7 years, 11 months ago

Now I just gotta find a channel that is running a replay. Maybe one of the CBS networks. Anyone know of a TV channel or weblink for the replay?

AsadZ 7 years, 11 months ago

What a game by TT. Today he proved that he is the player during clutch. Throughout the season people were questioning if they would feel comfortable with ball in his hands down the stretch. Today in one of the most historic games played at AFH he proved his critcis wrong.

Tyshawn, Crimson and Blue Baby.

Rock Chalk.

PS I had never hugged my son so tightly than what I did after today's win. We hugged each other and kept on dancing. What a special moment.

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

Tyshawn did a yeoman's job, and I salute him.

hawkhoops 7 years, 11 months ago

Gutsy performance. Congratulations Hawks.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

Now that Missouri has lost 2 in a row. Now that they have decided to go to the SEC. Time to pay for their mistakes. MU will now be between a 4-6 seed. I know you might say you're kidding. The truth of the matter is Missouri was caught voting Alabama #2 and Oklahoma State #4 in the College Polls affecting OSU's chance of going to the BCS. Now when the committee enters into the room, and OU the rep for the Big XII(who has a great relationship with their little sister), will not be doing any favors for Missouri. Additionally, no representation from the SEC. Just like Colorado got left out last year...MU will slide sweetly down the list.

I've been saying it for a while.

rockchalkxii 7 years, 11 months ago

I hope you're kidding. They're a 2 seed at the worst. It takes a helluva team to do what they did to us today in the first half. In my opinion Kentucky, Cuse, KU, and Mizzou should be the 1 seeds.

Hank Cross 7 years, 11 months ago

MU's out of conference schedule will keep them out of a 1 slot. They have to win the B12 tourney to get a 2. If they lose again before the tourney championship, they'll get a 3.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

The tourneys don't affect seeding...they only affect if you get in...check the history.

Jwilson90 7 years, 11 months ago

missery isnt a one seed. they squeak by almost every game on the road. they got lucky the first 25 mins of the game and made anything and everything. then they came back down to reality and ku destroyed them

Micky Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

There a 2 seed at the most right now.

They get a number 1 seed with advancing to the Big 12 championship game.

The number on seeds right now are Kentucky, Syracuse, and Duke and Kansas are in a dead tie, at the moment. Mizzou lost two this week. None of the others lost this week.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

They will be a 3 seed at worst. I doubt they even drop that low.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

Watch the politics...that is what I am referencing. I don't doubt that they deserve a #2 seed, I'm saying that the politics will send them to a #4-#6 seed.

I'm telling you when the reps say, I think Ohio State should be a #2 seed, and OU has a chance to say, no I think MU is the better team...they are going to agree...When the group says that I think Georgetown should be a #3 seed, OU is going to say...I can't disagree with that, but what about Baylor.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

If I'm not mistaken, the committee is only about 10 members. Doubt OU will have much of a say.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

The AD of the OU is the Rep for the Big XII this year...they will have a say.

AsadZ 7 years, 11 months ago

Just heard HCBS post game PC. He said that he would love to play Misouri again in Big 12 Finals to go 2-1 against them this year. Way to go Bill Self.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Id personally not play them in the tourney because im afraid it won't due the last two games justice. However a final four match up would be so much better.

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

Um...I like the fact that MU has 0 Final Fours...would love to see that tradition keep going.

miajhwk 7 years, 11 months ago

is it me or does it feel like coach self hates miz-who as much as we do? he was so pumped after the game, you could tell he really really really wanted this one as much as everyone in the fieldhouse and everyone in the jayhawk universe did.

those slavedriving rednecks have been doing wrong by us for over 150 years.

you cant spell secession with out S-E-C.

the anguished soul of john brown will find some peace tonight!!!

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

They hired quin snyder over him...you better believe he has a grudge. I'm sure he went to Illinois just to beat them (I think he was 3-0 at IU). Than when he got the chance to play them 2-3 times ayear, he jumped on that.

KWufan 7 years, 11 months ago

HAHAHAHA, just read on the ESPN article that Kim English said "we gave them a gift" Turn about is fair play Kim, what do you call that up in Columbia. I always knew that dude was a dummy, but jeez dude, you got all the first half calls from the ref to build your lead and then got outplayed when it was called straight up.

AsadZ 7 years, 11 months ago

Yeah I read it too, what a joke by him.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Kim English is absolutely right. Mizzou started settling and stopped driving. Combine that with dumb fouls and their part, it allowed us in the game. We took advantage of their mistakes. That's what your supposed to do.

theend 7 years, 11 months ago

Kim is actually a really nice kid......I wouldn't read too much into it. He's a good guy.

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

As a career educator and die-hard KU fan,, I can say I admire Kim English and the victory over his struggles. I will always cheer for him.

MizzouBest 7 years, 11 months ago

He is a good kid......been a class act his whole time at MU.

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

I'm All Jayhawks All the Time, but I think Kim English is a class act and will give him credit. Lighten up, critics.

MizzouBest 7 years, 11 months ago

Of the two chokes.....I have to say ours was worse. Up 19....we couldn't keep the lead. You guys were ahead most of the game at MU but then fell apart just in the last 3 minutes.

I congratulate my KU opponents. I will miss the rivalry. I think it's shame.....hopefully we will play eachother once a year.

MizzouBest 7 years, 11 months ago

No KUgrampy! I'm as angry as you about MU leaving. I hate it and want to stay with Big 12. Love our rivalry.

Many if not most MU fans feel this way and want to stay ion Big 12. Dont believe the gossip and media.

moe19 7 years, 11 months ago

This old timer agrees with you, at least sort of. I'll miss the rivalry. I won't miss all the hate and bs from some of the fans on both sides, which is why I'd rather not continue the game. Good luck to MU in the SEC.

Dave Cook 7 years, 11 months ago

Honestly, not counting this year, but unless you can put a better product consistently on the court every year, it doesn't really do anything for us to play you guys.. this year MU was a good team and made it fun.. next year I'm sure the true Haith will come out and you'll be back to a poor team...

miajhwk 7 years, 11 months ago

john brown is avenged!!!

larry brown is in the house!!!

RCJH FOREVER

theend 7 years, 11 months ago

2 quick points.......First....obviously..... a lot of credit to go around. But lets hand it to Kevin Young. He played like 28 minutes of good basketball....came off the bench and had some good passes,rebounds,solid defense and 5 points. He fired up the team when they needed it. Well done!

Second.....have you ever seen Coach Self that fired up?? It was nice to see.....he's usually so calm at the end.

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

If I'm not mistaken, there's still time to vote every day @CBS.com, college basketball tab for POY, where TRob is trailing Anthony Davis. I don't remember when this opportunity ends, but we can still make a dent as fans.

Andrew Bary 7 years, 11 months ago

So I heard a rumor about 127 decibels tonight. Anyone hear that? I know I saw 120.2 for sure. But 127, wow, that would be insane.

Jocelyn Kennedy 7 years, 11 months ago

It was at 127 when T-Rob blocked the shot to send us to OT. And yes, it was insane!!

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

Thank you, God, for free throws at the end, and for game changer Kevin Young (with assists to TRob and Tyshawn). Tyshawn, and Conner, we are all proud of you. Also every player who battled those long (40+ minutes)

esuyat 7 years, 11 months ago

Amazing, amazing. Who would have thought TT was capable of such clutch free throws, and that Connor Teahan would be 4/4 from 3pt land? Historic game, an excellent end a fierce rivalry. This game ranks right up there with our final four win over UNC.

mojayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

February 21-25, 2012: State of Kansas 2, State of Missouri 0. Sorry State, Mizzou.

Brian Stoops 7 years, 11 months ago

Big 12 Champs again!

Unbelievable job by the coaches and players!

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 11 months ago

I always say that every day is a good day to be a Jayhawk fan, but some days are better that others. Today was a fantastic one. I watched the game with a group of friend and we were all pretty ticked of with CBS (C-BS) and the stupid camera angles. Ceiling and behind the boards cameras should be used sparingly and only for replays, not during the actual game.

MizzouBest 7 years, 11 months ago

I agree . I hate that angle. Should just get rid of it completely.

Micky Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self Big 12 coach of the year.

This team didn't give up under the most adversity KU has seen in quite some time, without a deep bench.

If KU makes it to atleast the Elite 8, Bill Self should be national coach of the year. If they make it to the Final Four, or even further, Bill Self should be named the best single coach for any one single year in college basketball history.

I expected a good season, but it's been a great one after all considerations. Two recruits weren't cleared to play. Jeff Withey, I thought was going to be a weakness this season, but he's been strength on defense. T-Rob, I knew he was going to improve, but it has been by much more than expected (Danny Manning might be the best assistant in the Big 12). Taylor, now there is a kid that I doubted earlier in the season. That kid is the best guard in the country since conference play began, step aside Jardine.

He must have known that Mizzou was going to defend the 3 at the end of OT, so he came right at them. Then, in OT he was clutch. He set the tone for the OT period and forced Mizzou to defend him with 3 of their guards with 4, and two of those fouled out.

In the second half, this might have been the best performance by any team in recent memory.

Jack Wilson 7 years, 11 months ago

I whined after the game at MU about the officiating. After thinking about that .. looking at the tape .. I'm convinced the refs decided that game. We had our chances, but the refs permitted MU to get back in that game. Everything late went their way.

After reviewing today's game again this evening, I'm convinced we don't get back in the game today but for the refs' help. Some non-calls that helped us. Sure, TRob's early two fouls were bogus. But MU got in lots of foul trouble and many were questionable. It seemed everything went our way.

So we're even there. Too bad it has to be that way.

MU has one hell of a team this season. The best they have probably ever had. And they won't win the league.

Not when you have to go through KU.

hawk_of_ages 7 years, 11 months ago

Of course the two that Mizzou fans are whining about are T-Rob's block and the last foul that put Tyshawn on the line.

On the T-Rob block, there was certainly body contact, but the fact is that no ref is going to blow the whistle when the defender (a) gets that much ball, (b) is a POY candidate, (c) is playing at home (d) in the last seconds of regulation in a tie game. It just ain't gonna happen.

As for the latter play that gave TT the winning free throws, it was hard to see the contact. CBS never showed an alternate angle that might have proven whether it was a fair call or not -- ironic since they showed whole sequences of the game from that irritating baseline angle.

Either way, Ty deserves all the credit in the world for nailing those free throws. He was under a ridiculous amount of pressure in that situation, given what happened in Columbia and all the recent talk about his woes at the stripe. Cool as ice, baby.

Janet Olin 7 years, 11 months ago

Kudos to TRob and Tyshawn when it counted (and it always counts). Also props to Kevin for his great stretch and Conner for his new 3-point streak.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 11 months ago

"Cool as ice, baby." That, he was. Fabulous poise and focus.

Vernon Riggs 7 years, 11 months ago

I think if we all were honest or at least non-bias, we would agree that we played better than MethZoo for most of the game in Columbia a couple of weeks ago but lost on the scoreboard. We would also agree that we were outplayed for most of the game today but won on the scoreboard. Karma? Luck? Phog? Good vs Evil? Prayer? Me reversing my 'rally' sweatshirt at 17-points down? Who knows? You say 'thank you' after a gift and don't ask too many questions.

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Missouri made their choice. They left for money, which is okay. I agree with some posters who say come play in the phog every year and we will continue this rivalry. I think its obvious that if they accept an offer like that, the game will eventually be moved to KC. But if they are not willing to accept, then its on them. Put the ball back in their court.

MizzouBest 7 years, 11 months ago

Give credit to Thomas Robinson for making all those Free Throws

Mike Johns 7 years, 11 months ago

Just looking over the pics and savoring a sweet comeback... did anyone else notice T-Rob wore those arm bands on both arms, then got rid of one... and had none by the end of the game... wonder why he got rid of them.

MrPilot 7 years, 11 months ago

Interesting, didn't notice that.

Coach Self is very superstitious, so maybe he was shedding armbands under orders. :-P

Andy Tweedy 7 years, 11 months ago

My daughter had a soccer game here in Omaha at 4:00, so I was keeping track of the game on my wife's iPhone. At a point where nothing was going on in the game, everybody heard a loud, audible YES!!! If you don't know, Nebraska fans also love to hate Misery, and every single parent knew why I was yelling. High fives all around...my daughter later told me she told the confused girls on the bench "Don't worry, that's my dad...Kansas must have won!"

Jeff Coffman 7 years, 11 months ago

Great sacrifice for your daughter...I hope you enjoyed her game as well.

Rolland Remmert 7 years, 11 months ago

This was a final jewel in Mizzou's crown this week. Just yesterday they were presented the trophy for leading the nation in Meth House busts.

Eric J. Baker 7 years, 11 months ago

On the foul on T-Rob that gave him the and-one that tied the game near the end of regulation, Frank Haith said after the game "I want to see that foul."

If I'm not mistaken, that foul was either English or Dixon (I think it was Dixon) shoving his legs out from under him as he went up for the basket. That was a very dangerous play, and not only clearly a foul but could have severely injured Thomas. I hope Haith does look at that foul again, and then chastise his player for doing something so reckless and dangerous.

kumax 7 years, 11 months ago

Awesome win, 'hawks! So nice to see the tigers crying (yet) again. Unfortunately, CBS carried this game and as is often the case- they f**k up most every telecast. I had recorded it via DirecTV and missed the first 5 minutes and the last friggin' 12 seconds. Even with the extended recording time of 30 minutes! Can anyone tell me how to find a replay somewhere? Big thanks in advance! RCJHKU!

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 11 months ago

Tyshawn has the honor of scoring the last points in the Border War. There should be a plaque or something to recognize this game and it should be made into a billboard on I-70.

Rock Chalk 7 years, 11 months ago

He would eat that up. Someone posted that we should hang his and TRob's jerseys from the rafters. Definitely deserve it.

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 11 months ago

This was the Rising Stars Game - Lawrence style!

Next year, look for the Morris twins in the NBA sophomore class and Trob in the freshman class all playing on All-Star Weekend.

mace221 7 years, 11 months ago

Yeah Muck Fizzou! Plus stupid Truman the Tiger broke that Independence Bowl Trophy before the game:

Rock Chalk!

Ethan Berger 7 years, 11 months ago

Tony Parker tweet. "I sat next to Larry brown at the game best atmosphere of my life."

Close the deal Self!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 11 months ago

Hi, everyone...I just got back into town. Did I miss anything? :)

1] Conner and Kevin helped overcome Jeff's absence and Travis' relative offensive off day.

2] Blown lead or not...any team that takes the Hawks to overtime in Allen deserves some respect.

3] Frankly, the refs calls were terrible for both side i.e. TRob's charging for his second foul when the guy had his foot on the blocking line and TRob's block while he mauled the shooter at the end of reg. time. The refs taketh and the refs giveth back.

4] Just watched the replay..the crowd was unbelievable. It was like being on an aircraft carrier and listening to plane after plane taking off!!

5] This game may have been the most perfect storm in Kansas recruiting history by coming up with one of the most talented group of recruits ever, for one of the most important games in the history of this rivalry coupled by the game actually ending up being one of the most exciting games in Kansas's illustrious existence.

6] If TRob has a normal day and hits his usual number of "chippies" he could have ended up with 40 points!!!

7] Just a seeding alert...the NCAA is in love with Michigan State and Coach Ratso Rizzo because they have advanced far many times and made the committee look good....don't be surprised if the number ones go Kentucky, Syracuse, Michigan State and Duke....just sayin'.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 11 months ago

Oakville--

I think you're right, in regard to Michigan State being a #1 seed. Hope we can at least go to St. Louis, a town you're very familiar of. Rock Chalk!

Scott Smetana 7 years, 11 months ago

Great post as always Oakville. However, TRob mauled? Borderline call at best. I thought he went up pretty straight.

Personallly don't want a 1 seed. This team always plays better, especially Taylor when we're an underdog.

Scott Smetana 7 years, 11 months ago

Just read over ingame comments.
Please never read or respect these 3 posters again. I hate clueless, fair-weathered fans.

Halftime comments:

HawkinHays, Multiple Posts. "This is what's called 'being exposed.' No D, no rebounds, no heart" tweek. Multiple Posts. "We just lost all our recruits. This is all on Self" President Obama - multiple posts

Martin Rosenblum 7 years, 11 months ago

MizzouBest -

Do you use this same name on the MIZZ. boards?

Why do you come on our site so frequently anyway? Huh? Jayhawk envy much?

Thanks for being less of a jerk than some of the other MoPosters, but, we're gonna need you to just go away now that all of this is over. Hope you understand. Nothing personal. You're just not relevant any longer. If you win an SEC or National Championship, you can come back and then we'll talk some more. But for now, bye bye!

djhawk75 7 years, 11 months ago

I just hope that I can see a replay of this game. There should be an app for that.

Kelly Knott 7 years, 10 months ago

The border war games in basketball have literally been the closest mizzou has ever experienced to that of a National Championship game! As a member of the Big-XII mizzou was guaranteed at least 2 opportunities each season to play a perennial power in KU. The Jayhawks continue to maintain their status as a National Championship contender year after year after year... Of course mizzou wants to continue to have the opportunity to play the Jayhawks, KU represents the standard by which mizzou has always measured their worth!! KU doesn't need you, never has and never will. Your choice to run to the SEC,,, Your new border war is with Arkansas. Cheers!! RCJH!!!