Kansas defeats Kansas State, 59-53

• 8 p.m., Feb. 13, 2012
  • Bramlage Coliseum, Manhattan, KS

FINAL: KU hangs on for 59-53 victory over Kansas State

Jeff Withey finished one block shy of a triple-double, helping the Kansas men's basketball team to a 59-53 victory over Kansas State on Monday night in Manhattan.

Withey posted 18 points, 11 rebounds and nine blocks.

Tyshawn Taylor added 20 points, five rebounds and five assists to go with three turnovers.

KSU cut the lead to 55-51 with 1:15 to go, but the Wildcats came away empty on three straight possessions.

Thomas Robinson added 10 points, nine rebounds and two assists to go with five turnovers.

Jamar Samuels led KSU with 20 points and 12 rebounds. He also went 4-for-6 from three after entering the game just 8-for-35 from the three-point line.

KU (21-5) will play host to Texas Tech at 8 p.m. Saturday.

Comments

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

His doctor pleaded with him that one more entry to a conventional tanning booth could be lethal.

MrPilot 7 years, 7 months ago

Withey is unbelievable! 3 games in a row with career highs. Points, Rebounds, then Blocks! Rock Chalk Witheyhawk!!

Mike Kendall 7 years, 7 months ago

Whitey-----------18 points------------------ 11 rebounds--------------- 9 blocks!

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 7 months ago

I am disappointed in Withey for not getting one more block for a triple double....

Kent Wells 7 years, 7 months ago

Can we get an official review of Witheys block total? He sure looked like he got his hands on a few more than 9!

JayhawkGrad05 7 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. I'm pretty sure I saw at least 4 while they were still showing him with 2....

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

Smell that? Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning... (Monologue continues) Smells like... Victory.

rockchalkxii 7 years, 7 months ago

That was the worst announcing Ive ever witnessed. Absolutely horrible. ESPN should fire Pasch and demote Mr. Knight to ESPNU games. Didnt help that KU played bad, but whatever. A W is a W at the end of the day.

Rock Chalk. On the way to 8 straight. Good night everyone!

Scott Tichenor 7 years, 7 months ago

Really, what's much better than beating the K-State weenies on their home court? KU ... OWNS K-State's home court.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 7 months ago

It is nice to know we have another home court

Ted Adams 7 years, 7 months ago

How many of TRob's turnovers were caused by him getting raped in the paint? These thuggish muggings of TRob with or without the ball are taking him out of the game. The player of the year deserves better than that.

rockchalk_dpu 7 years, 7 months ago

I especially liked the travel call on him in the first half. The under the basket camera showed the K-State player extending his arms and shoving him as soon as the catch was made. What was really underrated by both T-Rob and Withey was the way they kept their cool despite getting abused down low. I realize it's a road game, but man they let K-State bang on D. At the end of the day though, a win is a win and we needed to get a gritty road win. Now onto the next one... Rock Chalk.

dtownhawkfan 7 years, 7 months ago

Completely agree. Both of those charge calls were awful as well. K-State kept sliding in under him. I was really impressed at how he never really tried to force things either, I can't even imagine how frustrated he was.

Brad Swisher 7 years, 7 months ago

Seriously, what was up with Knight tonight? He was horrible.

rockchalkxii 7 years, 7 months ago

Yup. It almost felt like they wanted KU to choke and KSU to make a comeback and win..........

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 7 months ago

He had a Manhattan (or 2 or 3)before the game

PhogAdvisory 7 years, 7 months ago

I knew Knight had been pre-gaming in Aggieville when he said KU could go "nine deep" and still "be as good as anyone in the country." I'm not even sure we PLAYED nine guys tonight.

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

Saviong up the KU love from when He gets his last Lou Boudreaux Fix down in SEC country.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 7 months ago

TURNOVERS-----------KU-14 KSU-11

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK THE OFFICIALS FOR SOME OF THOSE KU TURNOVERS!

Robert Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

It was cool that I got to watch this game live from Dubai. It was ugly but road wins are precious. We do not to a good job valuing possessions particularly at the end of the game. Aa annoying as Bob Knight was tonight, he emphasizes the value of possessions. This was a huge win. It does not appear MU is going to lose before they come to Lawrence.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 7 months ago

What would really be sweeeeeeeeet is for Charlie Weis to defeat the Wild kitties this Fall. That would be nice.

jaybate 7 years, 7 months ago

The referees took basketball to a new low in this game.

Both teams deserved to foul out and forfeit.

Frankly, I am ashamed that KU played the way it did, but that's what you have to do in today's game.

Was it spread management?

Was it referees that were calling their first D1 game?

Were the referees sent into petit mals by purple?

What was their excuse?

MrPilot 7 years, 7 months ago

I thought we played pretty darn good considering the environment and the officiating.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 7 months ago

Whenever TRob gets under the basket and gets mugged, it seems as if the refs go into the "let 'em play" mode! It is as if, he is playing to a different standard! Drives me nuts!

KPOP 7 years, 7 months ago

and then they call ticky tack fouls on Wesley and Young for touching a guy.

KPOP 7 years, 7 months ago

and then they call ticky tack fouls on Wesley and Young for touching a guy.

dtownhawkfan 7 years, 7 months ago

I specifically want to know on 3 charge calls (2 on t-rob and 1 on Elijah). The one on Elijah was the worst, it wasn't even close. He was already in the air before Rodriguez came running over to get landed on. RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIAL!

IBRONNIEB 7 years, 7 months ago

You are right about that. The ref's were as bad as any I've seen all year. And Knight would be better served, to go softly into that good night. No need to rage against the dying of the light, it has already died in his case...

MrPilot 7 years, 7 months ago

If T-Rob didn't already have 4 fouls, I think they should have called a flagrant 1 on him for that elbow to Withey and let Withey shoot free-throws and given us possession! :-)

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

I concur. and then have Merv Lindsey come in and do the same during the freebies

3puttbogey 7 years, 7 months ago

Which is ugliest?

a) KU's Play in the last 3 minutes b) Will Spradling's acne scars c) Holly Rowe

Decisions, decisions.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 7 months ago

Holly is a sweetie pie. She likes KU! :-)

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

All I know, is that if KU had a team of Holly Rowes w/ Spradling's acne scars playing those 3 minutes... our faces would likely all melt a la Raiders of the Lost Arc.

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

That's roughly how I felt after watching the Syracuse Louisville game today.

How is that teams who play almost exclusively 2-3 Zone, cannot play in a game against a 2-3 Zone ?

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 7 months ago

Never had a problem with Holly Rowe. If you want to knock looks then you need to turn your attention to Doris Burke, yikes, she is a handsome woman

Mike Kendall 7 years, 7 months ago

Self said post-game----"This was gonna be a hard place to win---I am proud of my kids.'

That's I need to know. Nice win, fellas!

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

Has anyone seen a worse Charging call ever? 50 feet away from the basket, with the ball 25 feet away, with a Junior getting called for a charge against a Freshman?

Self's not doing enough barking at the officials, Gipson's 2 steps late into position adn draws a charge on Thomas for his fourth, Tyshawn taylor got a real bad one in the first half also.

This is one thing that every year sees to get worse, the differential between what is called on us an what is called for us is insane.

loyal2thaphog 7 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget EJ's 5th at the end of the game, dude was clearly still sliding to get under him after EJ was in the air making the jump-pass. This was a sloppy game, but its how the game is going to be ref'd in the tourny if we get some BigEast officials. I take the road experience, a W in the win column, and move on.

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

That's the one I was refering to in openiing statement. Ej's got some bad luck in the Hawktogon of Broom. Last year's T for hanging on the rim. and this year's foul out that wasn't.

texashawk10 7 years, 7 months ago

I know I saw at least one charge that was worse about 9 days ago in Columbia.

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

That charge was blatant, but seriously 50 feet away from the basket, without the ball in his hands..... Vlade Divac called that one a No-call.

Norm Jennings 7 years, 7 months ago

Home cookin' was so thick expected the refs to ride out of the tunnel for the 2nd half in chuckwagons.

Called straight-up, kitties lose by double-digits, their shooting in the first half was a disgrace to college basketball, a little sad that we needed it that bad to win.

Seriously think the refs may have been commiserating to see if there was anyone in a grey shirt that might have been fouled when T-Rob about broke Withey's nose on that rebound. Fortunately no one in the area.

Richard Benson 7 years, 7 months ago

My guess is T-Rob did break Withey's nose. It looked a bit arch-shaped in his post-game interview.

Mark Hopkins 7 years, 7 months ago

JW coming on strong! He will have a big part in how far we go come March.

Mike Kendall 7 years, 7 months ago

Amen, brother! As a team though, defense won the game. Jesse said that during the live broadcast.

shinguard 7 years, 7 months ago

A 7 footer who has put together 3 amazing games in a row has to be considered an NBA target

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

His value is surely rising... but he is still kind of a string-bean. Without putting on some more weight/muscle, hed get pushed around. IMO, he's a strong European player... maybe D-league.

Im still surprised at Aldrich's under-performance in the NBA.

Robert Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm not surprised by Aldridge in NBA. He needed another year to hone his offensive skills. Withey needs the same.

brooksmd 7 years, 7 months ago

Was thinking the same thing. I'm sure what W has been doing is starting to get some league attention. Especially a 7 footer who can shoot ft. If he continues at this rate through the end of the season, surely his stock will go sky high. Would there be a chance we loose both him and TRob? Just thinking of him getting another year under DMan and maybe Hudy being able to get 10-15 more pounds to stick to his bones makes me all giddy. Just wish he would've started this streak a game earlier. And just saw where he has his second consecutive ESPN Top 10 POTD. Congrats W. Keep it big boy.

Mark Lindrud 7 years, 7 months ago

Withey is not ready for the NBA. He gets pushed around too much and right now would get crushed because he is not strong enough. Another year with at least 15 pounds and he is a definite first rounder.

fansincewilt 7 years, 7 months ago

Free throws at end of game could be a concern. TT missed two front ends but Trob nailed his two. Maybe TT should bring in the ball to Robinson or Teahan. How well has Johnson done in high pressure situations?

brooksmd 7 years, 7 months ago

We should bring the ball into W when the other team starts fouling.

Gary Wilson 7 years, 7 months ago

Can we stop with the Cousey talk now? TT does enough to not deserve consideration.

rockchalk_dpu 7 years, 7 months ago

He had some stupid plays mixed in there, but had clutch baskets and assists when we needed them the most. We would lose far more games without him than we do with him at the PG.

PhogAdvisory 7 years, 7 months ago

TT only has two modes: Either he makes you want to hug him, or he makes you want to strangle him. Sometimes he can do both within 30 seconds.

Those two back-to-back threes were huge momentum-changers. He played stellar ball from right after his back court TO to right before those free throws.

He drives me crazy sometimes, but without him, we lose a whole lot more games than we win. I'll take 20 points, 5-3 Asst-TO, 5 rebs and a pair of steals any day of the week. He's our #2 POG tonight, right behind another fantastic performance by Jeff Withey.

lovemyhawks 7 years, 7 months ago

i agree..... you love him or you hate him and you are right.... often those feelings come back to back!! i think he's one of the greatest and we would NOT be where we are without him but he CAN drive me crazy. the 2 3-pointers were HUGE for sure!!

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

Seems like Withey is starting to go Barbarian in big moments.

He goes to the Bench, kicks it into another gear.... Perhaps, Practice with the New kids has him a bit Feisty. Wonder if Jamari hasn't hit him with a few ELbows, at Bill's request of course.

Sam Constance 7 years, 7 months ago

Plus, the ref totally whiffed that backcourt call.

The half court line and corresponding backcourt violation aren't the same as the out-of-bounds line. It's only over-and-back if the ball is touched by an offensive player AFTER the ball has crossed the plane of the half court line.

The way I understand it, a ball-handler can dribble up and cross the line, and can step back across the line as long as the ball remains in the frontcourt.

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

Judgment calls like that rule allow for quarterbacks to heave 65 yard passes downfield in hopes thier receivers can get dragged down by a DB.....

I hate interpretation calls ( like charge/Block) Leaves too much to the human element.

MGJayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Slick - you're completely off base. He is a top 5 guard in the nation. He will make mistakes. Every guard does. He has the ball a lot and he isn't a true PG.

Sam Constance 7 years, 7 months ago

Really? Tonight convinced you that he's not one of the TWENTY best point guards in the country!?

Perhaps you forgot about that stretch in the second half where Tyshawn single-handedly stopped KSU's momentum...

...or maybe you're just tragically ignorant.

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 7 months ago

TT was not focused on the free throw line again tonite! Get that dude a zen master!

Mark Hopkins 7 years, 7 months ago

With TT gotta take the good with the bad. For the most part has been all good the past month. Just hope it continues!

Clarence Haynes 7 years, 7 months ago

He just needs a zen master. I.E., he needs to focus!

Benjamin Piehler 7 years, 7 months ago

Those late game free throws in a hostile environment really mess with TT... even when we're in a good position. Turnovers have dramatically improved, but there are usually a few "doh"s every game. I'm a fan of his game, but Self was correct in his description of TT as "thin skinned".

ejlumus 7 years, 7 months ago

My take is HCBS needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat (Tharp) to give TT some rest. He appears fatigued at end of first half and end of game. 30 minutes per game would work wonders. But can Tharp cover for 5 minutes each half? Obvously not or he would be playing.

Team is fun to watch!!!! JW is a beast, same as TRob.

Robert Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

EJ. You make a good point about fatigue. We get hardly any minutes out of our bench. I think Teahan played 18 minutes. All other bench players are in single digits. As physical as the K-State and MU game was, I'm sure it took a toll at the end.

lovemyhawks 7 years, 7 months ago

I used to LIKE TT at the free throw line at the end of a game but no more!! wow, he makes me a wreck..... the whole team made me a nervous wreck tonight!! i never relaxed and enjoyed any of that game!! never felt like we were EVER really in control. we could have been up by maybe 30 at half if we had just played our game!! geez.... that was tough and the officiating stunk, too. thankfully, the kitties couldn't hit much or we could have blown another one. TT does great stuff but man, those free throw misses and turnovers can sure happen at the wrong time!! glad that one is OVER!! glad we were playing ksu on what i considered a very ugly night!! lets move on. ROCK CHALK!!!!

Tony Bandle 7 years, 7 months ago

As a guy, I've always wondered how painful it was for a girl to give birth...........this game gave me a clue!!!!!!!!

It reminded me of a Kansas intramural contest....only we used to score more points.

God love him, I appreciate everything he does, but my life will be less stressful after Tyshawn graduates.

Is Frank Martin on medication!!??

I find it interesting that suddenly Wesley can't play defense without fouling and Young refuses to shoot and Teahan can't hit the ocean shooting from a pier....#5 in the country..simply amazing!!!

lovemyhawks 7 years, 7 months ago

yes, it was painful from the start!! i just didn't think we EVER looked THAT good or IN CONTROL of the game!! i'm exhausted!!

Chuck Baldwin 7 years, 7 months ago

EMAW is such a stupid slogan. Here's what it means for KU fans.

Exiting Manhattan A Winner!

Robert Brown 7 years, 7 months ago

Try explaining the origins of Rock Chalk Jayhawk to someone who isn't familiar. Most are underwhelmed when you mention it was a math chant and the Chalk refers to Limestone hills in Eastern Kansas.

Sam Brockert 7 years, 7 months ago

I will give you that one, but at the same time the slogan is every man a wildcat. That just doesn't make sense because it isn't true. Are they saying that only men can be kstate fans? That every man every where is a wildcat...just doesn't make sense cause neither is true.

squawkhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Like Rock Chalk makes absolute sense? Geez!

waywardJay 7 years, 7 months ago

at this rate Withey might be the number 1 overall pick if this contninues, he's making LAdrich looks like a wimp.

Janet Olin 7 years, 7 months ago

And let's give props to Releford for good D on McGruder.

brooksmd 7 years, 7 months ago

Congrats W on your second consecutive ESPN Top 10 POTD.

MGJayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

Anyone have any insight on why HCBS went away from the triangle defense in the final 8 minutes? It was working so well then we called it off. I don't understand. I was yelling so loud at the TV. We could have won by 20 if we stayed in that.

Scott Smetana 7 years, 7 months ago

What a hack job! KSU's plan was to quack and hack every time we got it low. All the 1 ref could do is seem to call ticky tack calls on EJ and bogus charge calls on KU. It seemed to be 1 ref in particular that Taylor was arguing with. Anyone know his name? He must have signaled walk for 5 seconds after Taylor made the walk at the end.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

I posted the same thing after the last game and it happened again this game. KU's big three score 48 of the team 59 points. KU will not go far in the big dance if it does not get more production from other players; particularly Releford and EJ. Looked like KSU players had been watching Argentinian soccer and perfecting their flopping techniques. As far as the refs, they confirmed what I posted earlier: Octagon = 5 KUS players + 3 refs.

JayHawkFanToo 7 years, 7 months ago

Oops...make that Octagon = 5 KSU players + 3 refs

Cantkeepagooddudedown 7 years, 7 months ago

What concerns me is we don't have one GUARD I want to see touching the ball in a close game with a few minutes remaining.

Sam Constance 7 years, 7 months ago

Once again terrible officiating. But I suppose I should get used to the fact that Robinson and Withey, due to their size and skill, are going to find foul calls hard to come by unless they are downright murdered in the paint. Beyond the consistent lack of respect for our bigs getting pummeled inside, the officiating is just BAD lately.

They seem charge happy, on both sides of the floor. Personally, I think this is fallout from the half-circle (which I like). Now refs are busy watching feet and the circle instead of making sure the defender ACTUALLY has position to take a charge. If their feet are outside the circle--automatic charge call. It's almost a guarantee.

Withey is slowly turning himself into one of my all-time Jayhawk favorites. I've been expecting him to develop into a good player since he transferred, but I never would have guessed a stretch of three games where he posted an average line of:

20.3 ppg 12.0 rpg 6.33 bpg 1.33 spg 1.00 apg

Lastly, there were some noting during the game that Samuels would be an AA if he played every game against Kansas. A funny sentiment, but it's crazy how true it is. For your statistical digesting pleasure, I present, Jamar "lil' enigma" Samuels (since we all know TT is the OE - Original Enigma):

Samuels vs. KU: 16.0 ppg 8.5 rpg 6/11 from three (54.5%)

Samuels vs. Not-KU: 8.5 ppg 5.6 rpg 2/24 from three (8.3%)

Or some other fun ways to look at the ridiculous stratification between how he plays KU and how he plays everyone else:

8.7% of the games Samuels has played in have come against KU. In those games, he has scored 15.2% of his total points and grabbed 12.6% of his total rebounds.

Tonight's game saw his three-point shooting percentage climb from 13.8% to 22.9%.

Insanity.