Kansas defeats Northern Illinois, 45-42

• 6 p.m., Sept. 10, 2011
  • David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: D.J. Beshears' 6-yard touchdown reception gives KU thrilling 45-42 victory over Northern Illinois

Jordan Webb completed a six-yard touchdown pass to D.J. Beshears on fourth-and-goal with 9 seconds left, giving Kansas a dramatic 45-42 victory over Northern Illinois on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

NIU (1-1) took a 42-38 lead with 5:03 left in the game before KU's final 11-play, 47-yard touchdown drive.

Webb led KU, completing 21 of 30 passes for 281 yards and three touchdowns. Beshears added seven catches for 70 yards and two scores.

James Sims rushed 26 times for 110 yards and two scores, as KU finished with 253 total rushing yards.

The Jayhawks (2-0) will travel to face Georgia Tech next Saturday.

Comments

Chris Bailey 8 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the coverage! They played a hellofgame! So glad you and Keegan were wrong!

Ryan Mullen 8 years, 5 months ago

I really like this offense. The defense will only get better. Rock Chalk Hawks Go KU

justinryman 8 years, 5 months ago

Doubled their predicted win total.

Nice game Jayhawks!!!!

Looking to be a fun season.

Evan Jorn 8 years, 5 months ago

And what a great punt it was; it spiraled like a pass and traveled 3/4 the field!

irvan moore 8 years, 5 months ago

i was surprised at how high scoring the game was, fun to watch

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I wasn't. Took the over. KU has had a lot of difficulty on pass defense, D-Line is our weakest spot, and our offense can put up some numbers. Knew there would be a lot of points up on the board.

phoggyjay 8 years, 5 months ago

That's what happens when you bet on a team you root for.

sawman3333 8 years, 5 months ago

Beware all who enter! Beware of the FAM!

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 5 months ago

Some crow being devoured tonight across this great nation of our's. Not me though, I'm dancing like an idiot around my place. Prepare for the Jackets my friends! Prepare Prepare Prepare!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

We are giving up 35 points a game against a FCS team and a MAC team. But I'm sure we will be fine in big 12 play.

Eric Williams 8 years, 5 months ago

last time i checked it's the team that scores most that's the winner.

Ryan Mullen 8 years, 5 months ago

Who cares we just won a game that no one thought we would.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

The paper in the town I grew up outside of Chicago said something in the nature of "Northern Illinois should have no trouble with KU today."

Many people thought we'd lose. The line opened at KU +7

Jabberhawky 8 years, 5 months ago

No matter how many games KU wins, I'm sure ahpersearmchairquarterback will manage to be an ass.

Ryan Mullen 8 years, 5 months ago

I suppose that is his role in life. There has to be some haters otherwise no one would no what hate is right?

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

okay so when we lose, it's horrible Gill. If we win, it's still horrible gill. Look up a guy by Benjamin Todd "Ben" Roethlisberger. Played in the MAC and has won 2 super bowls. But I guess the MAC has nothing. Enjoy the win. There is a reason Gill is on the sideline coaching football and you being on the couch and watching football.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Also allegedly had sexual misconduct and lied about not wearing helmets on a motorcycle when in an accident....

There are far better examples of Players from the Mac being successful NFL players.....

Jeff Kilgore 8 years, 5 months ago

A very veteran team, 10-3 last year, great O line. Great QB play. They're a good team. And we won. Look at what the MAC did today, especially at Ohio State. It's a very competitive league.

Joseph Kuebel 8 years, 5 months ago

Harnish is no bum, neither is NIU or their huge Oline. Big win from a confidence standpoint! Let's go upset GT, AGAIN!

Paul Rupp 8 years, 5 months ago

Pour me another one, if you would be so kind....

LAJayhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Dude, people can enjoy a good win. I don't think anyone is booking tickets to the BCS Championship.....

phoggyjay 8 years, 5 months ago

Still bitter about being a benchwarmer in your football days?

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 5 months ago

This was an important win for KU and is refuting a lot of the crap that you have been posting throughout the summer! Take a walk!

Al Martin 8 years, 5 months ago

When life gives you lemonade, ahperse pees in it.

Al Martin 8 years, 5 months ago

Not to mention that his math is wrong.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

It's actually not wrong, KU has given up 28 and 42 points this year, that is an average of 35 per game. More importantly though right now is that KU is averaging 43.5 points per game and is 2-0.

Al Martin 8 years, 5 months ago

They gave up 24 points in the first game, not 28. It's on all the web pages and everything!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

FYI

We all missed BB's birthday and should be ashamed! I saw it on Facebook. Apparently the twitter ban doesn't apply to Facebook? Or redshirts? Or maybe it's just BB getting to do it because he's BB.

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 5 months ago

Ahper I agree with you. I am excited about our offense and what it can do, especially considering how our offense was so anemic last year. We could have a top running game this year in conference and that can keep us in games.

Before everyone bashes on ahper, but let's consider we are allowing a lot of yardage and points against average teams at the moment. I do hope this means we can beat average teams in our conference. I predicted 5 wins this season and it is still highly possible, but I do believe we will have to out score teams because our defense is below average. We are young so we can only improve, which I am happy about, but we will take some lumps. Either way this season will be a lot more interesting to watch compared to last year and at least that is an improvement.

colreader 8 years, 5 months ago

I'd like to see this game again. Would it be replayed on All-Access? Do they show whole game replays?

jayhawkintx73 8 years, 5 months ago

I hope they do. If a person pays for All Access in Texas, the game should not have been blacked out. Either way, it would have cost $10. Dumb FCC.

Chris Bailey 8 years, 5 months ago

That was a such a gutsy performance! The monkey is off Webb's back! He played an outstanding game! Wow I'm pumped! So awesome! Congrats Jayhawks! ROCK CHALK!!!!!! Look out our future is bright!

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

70% passing for the season!

I think I saw that his QB rating before this game was something like 230!

And yet the mantra needs to remain the same - Manage the game.

Rock Chalk!

kureignman 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm really excited about this offense. Great balance tonight with Webb and the ground and pound. That is the kind of O that can deliver against teams we should beat (ie ISU, KSU, etc). If we could fix that D than we might be able to compete against teams that we were not supposed to beat. Rock Chalk!

Angus0199 8 years, 5 months ago

Did you now watch the ISU/Iowa game. We'll jsut take one game at a time. KSU's defense showed up last week. I think our D may have a good showing against their O actually. Lets not forget this was N. Ill. not the Illini. My main point is that we should be able to compete. F SI though

kureignman 8 years, 5 months ago

I completely agree that we should take one game at a time, but tonight is about drinking the KUl-aid. Even though we were not favored in this game tonight, I thought that we should win. And I don't know how other teams will perform in the coming weeks, but if you ask me now, I think that we should be able to beat ISU and KSU and maybe even TT.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

They only lost 28-22 to the Illini last year, so it's not like UofI is significantly better than NIU. 11-3 last year was inflated by their MAC schedule, but they are still at least an average BCS team.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 5 months ago

I LOVE that 98.7 in Wichita streams the game, but the posts on this site are slightly ahead of it, so I was literally shielding myself from the laptop to listen to Bob make the call! NICE WIN!!! The offense sounds like it looks great, and that should be enough for a few more wins. Maybe...just maybe...the "fire Turner Gill" crowd was a little too impatient!

Cora Smith 8 years, 5 months ago

The offense is too young to be scared and the defense is scared all the time!

DevilHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Got the win. Next up: Georgia Tech.

We also received a commitment from Clarksville, TX 3* Cornerback H.B. Rosser: http://rivals.yahoo.com/kansas/football/recruiting/player-H.B.-Rosser-130650

Jeff Kilgore 8 years, 5 months ago

I left for a walk when it was 21-7 and came back to hear KU tie it at 28s. There appears to be something about Gill that we are just beginning to learn. His personality seems to keep his players in the game through the end.

It is true last year that we were simply overmatched, and there is no answer for that. NIU was 10-3 last year and played good teams. No one has any idea whether KU will be in every game this year. Probably not. But as long as Gill's team does, that's all that matters.

Playing through the penalties, converting clutch plays, suffering through some key injuries, they did all these things. Time to listen to coach.

RCJH!

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 5 months ago

If you've ever seen the interview with Jeremy Case, he kept talking about how Self's calm was so important in getting the title. It is obviously a strength for HCTG! The dude is a lot like his mentor, Osborne.

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

NIU was 11-3 last year, but they played mediocre (mostly MAC) teams at best - 3 bowl teams total, including the bowl game, and lost 2 of the 3.

I am a Gill supporter, and have ben from the beginning, and have some respect for NIU, but let's not overstate their position.

John Randall 8 years, 5 months ago

I second that – give us the replay, to critique officials as well as salute the never-say-die offense. Five game balls for the O-line!

Eric Williams 8 years, 5 months ago

ummm try bad execution. only bad call IMO was the last NIU touchdown.

our receivers executed their blocks poorly picking up several holding fouls. not the refs fault.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

There were a couple of reallly tick tack holding calls. The refs were not consistent which goes on the refs. Seems someone would get tackled when blocking and went unnoticed. Then a guys finger would get caught in the jersey and it was 10 yards.

Paul Rupp 8 years, 5 months ago

We're young and made "young" mistakes. But played through them. Wow. We played through them! RCJH!

Eric Williams 8 years, 5 months ago

agreed. the poor execution is correctable, my point was it was stupid errors on scoring plays. not every flag by the refs was a bad call despite KU fans not liking them.

what's going to cost us is our corners playing 8 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Bill Shaw 8 years, 5 months ago

Actually, we beat 2 foes: NIU & the refs.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Usually holding is called squarely.... And Had Northern Illinois a single HOlding call against it... we could make the argument that the are a more veteran line... but the refs were clearly seeing holds against Kansas, and the were clearly not seeing holds against Northern Illinois...

Give me one holding call against Northern Illinois ( and Bob Davis was all over at least 3 of them ) and I think you could say it was just poor defense.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

Mangino's best offense was the 2007 offense which was a very balanced offense.

Don Whiteley 8 years, 5 months ago

Good win, a win is a win. Thank God, we have an offense! However, anyone with a defense that bad is looking to many a slaughter at the hands of equally sized opponents.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

That was a good team we just beat. couple observations.

1. Jordan Webb showed patience. When the pocket would collapse, he we be calm scramble and make a play. He didn't stare down the WR. He has a rocket arm. He played with patience, which is great.

2. Cover 3 sucks. The cover 3 is a pro defense. Our players aren't athletic enough to play the 3. It's to easy to counter with. It seemed we asked 2 guys to cover 5 many times. Need to change it up, help our corners out.

3. We have 4 legit Running backs. Sims, his feet are amazing. Dare I say Emmitt Smith? Miller, extremely elusive. Has good power and great agility. Bourbon, speed and power. Showed both today. Pierson, he will outrun you, simple as that.

4. Blitzing. There was no creativeness with our blitz, it was to easy to spot the blitz er. We need to give them more looks.

5. Bring back our receivers coach was the best move we made. Our receivers ran good routes. But what amazed me was their blocking. Beire was phenomenal. Pick made ever block. It was a great blocking performance by our WRs and TEs.

6. The officiating. It was poor. They would call tick tak holding but a blatant holding they would miss. One play comes to mind in the 2nd half. They ran a wr screen, McDougle made a great jump on the ball, his body was running toward the wr, but he was facing the other way. A clear holding.

Overall, the word is patience. We have a future offense that will be scary. Our defense is scaring me. Coaches need to scheme a little better on D. Great win, if we win next week, I'm betting we make a bowl game.

Scott Kaiser 8 years, 5 months ago

And this "historic" win over a non conference opponent will propel the Jayhawks to a Bowl bid? Please! I'm sure that the KU football squad has a LOT of work ahead to prove themselves to even be considered for Bowl status. This win is nothing. A "Barely won" game. Pffft. When the real tests occur, we'll see how the squad performs.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

NIU was a 10 win team. Please show your ignorance on a different site.

Scott Kaiser 8 years, 5 months ago

And you call me ignorant. I will sit and watch KU's progress, and when the season ends, you will be the ignorant one. With comments like yours, I'm almost ashamed that I attended KU. You are the sorry loser.

Joseph Kuebel 8 years, 5 months ago

Lol, you attended 1 class? And then apparently flunked out, and received a poor education as a Cat? I guess you can be called a "Jaycat"!! Lol... (For those who don't know that Cali term, it is a major insult that calls out somebody who pretends to be something they aren't (usually pretending to make themselves look like a "tough guy"). "Top Jaycat", "daddy Jaycat" on this site that's for sure! Lol trying to call himself topdaddy, and trying to say he has some kind of KU allegiance... Perfect definition of Jaycat.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Your comeback did nothing but prove your lack of intelligence. I was commenting on how NIU is a good team, but kids who's only football experience is what they see on the couch would only see the MAC title. Kansas can go 3-9 and they still beat a good NIU team. Now go back to your little cage and go night night.

Chris Bailey 8 years, 5 months ago

Well how did your sorry as@ kitty cats fair last week??? Oh that's right they barely won! Look out you come to Lawrence this year!

Joseph Kuebel 8 years, 5 months ago

Cat man! Here kitty kitty! Just because your school is grouped with Baylor doesn't mean you have to hate. NIU has legitimate talent.

Granted my Jayhawk D is awful tho.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 5 months ago

This win was important! We are building something special.

DevilHawk 8 years, 5 months ago

This win is a major confidence boost heading into the Georgia Tech game. If they can use it as a springboard to success, then we could enter conference play 3-0 and coming off a bye-week.

Momentum matters from play to play and from game to game.

The team has also been very exciting, which will keep fans coming out to the games.

colreader 8 years, 5 months ago

Anybody know how long it takes before they start the post-game press conference? Or is it probably over?

Eric Williams 8 years, 5 months ago

oh the hilarity ensues. not only were we underdogs, here's NIU's progression over the last few years:

2007 (2-10) 2008 (6-7) 2009 (7-6) won @ Purdue, lost @ Wisconsin by 8 2010 (11-3) won @ Minnesota, lost @ Illinois by 6, won Bowl game 40-17

This is the same MAC league that saw Mangino lose to Toledo early in his tenure.

it's obvious your ability to assess talent is lacking

Eric Williams 8 years, 5 months ago

"This game should never have even been close. When Gill is able to beat some legitimate D1 teams, then we can talk. Until then, this is nothing to get excited about."

Yeah beating an NIU team that will probably win the MAC and go bowling is a big deal for a team coming off a 3-9 year.

Also, to answer your question in the original post. Does beating nationally ranked GaTech in 2010 count as beating a legitimate D1 team, or are just conveniently skipping over that?

jayhawkintx73 8 years, 5 months ago

Not only that, but let's look at some MAC teams against BCS foes today.

Ohio State beat Toledo, TODAY, 27-22.

Kentucky beat Central Michigan 27-13 today.

Neither of the MAC teams that lost today had votes in the polls, but Northern Illinois did.

Rick Arnoldy 8 years, 5 months ago

Glad with the win but "defense" anyone? Beuhler? Beuhler?

onlylookin2score 8 years, 5 months ago

Seems like this is just how KU football goes... either we have a solid defense and are anemic on offense.. or we put up impressive ## offensively and are offensive on defense... Thank God for 2008...

Eric Williams 8 years, 5 months ago

I think we can compete with a few teams:

K-State: struggled in first game Iowa State: struggled in first game, then exploded against Iowa Texas Tech: just a gut feeling Texas: talk about an anemic offense Missouri: rivalry Georgia Tech

Blowouts (where KU is on the receiving end): Oklahoma State Oklahoma Baylor Texas A&M

jayhawkintx73 8 years, 5 months ago

There is certainly no question that we have a good offense. 30 plus pass plays, plus the running game, KU is going to be really good offensively. They will improve on defense. Second straight year with new D-Coordinator and new system, but they made a couple of stops that allowed them win this game and overcame some early adversity.

rtwngr 8 years, 5 months ago

Toledo is from the MAC and they gave Ohio State all they wanted today (in Columbus). Toledo isn't even the best team in the MAC. Northern Illinois is the reigning champion of the MAC and the winner of a bowl game in 2010. There is a good chance the win the MAC this year. Is KU going to make a run at the Big 12 championship? No. But NIU looks pretty darned good and that quarterback, Harnish, is exceptional. I would be willing to wager he plays on Sundays next year. The 'Hawks are off to a great start this season and I think they win a couple of more games than the sports writers picked. If you don't like it go piss in someone else's boots!

Dirk Medema 8 years, 5 months ago

NIU lost the MAC Championship to Ohio (Miami) last year.

JayhawkDynasty 8 years, 5 months ago

While I agree that we shouldn't be "anointing" Turner Gill at this point, I think he deserves a lot of credit. This offense is electrifying and he has done an excellent job with the RB's. Webb looks to have matured more than I ever thought he would. The defense will get there, probably not this season - very young team still - but they will improve. What is important is that this team by all accounts could very well be 0-2 or 1-2. Sports Illustrated predicted we would finish 1-11. We are 2-0 so lets congratulate coach for beating the odds and just enjoy it. Great win and a promising future is clearly ahead. Rock Chalk!

gardenjay 8 years, 5 months ago

Wow. I LOVED this game. I think it showed determination, and comraderie. We do have some studs on defense, and had NIU stopped completely a number of times. NIU has a monster OL.

gardenjay 8 years, 5 months ago

gardenjay 8 years, 5 months ago

Hmm. I loved the game so much they posted me twice?

Laurence Cooley 8 years, 5 months ago

our D needs work (mainly against the pass) but we won a shoot out against a team we shouldve lost to. i am glad we are sitting at 2-0 right now, cause that is just 4 wins closer to a bowl. we already beat SI's expectations, now i want them to beat all the fair weather fans from the beginning of the season

ROCK CHALK!!