Back to game coverage

Kansas State at Kansas coverage

Kansas State defeats Kansas, 59-21

• 11 a.m., Oct. 22, 2011
  • David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: Kansas State blasts Kansas, 59-21

The Kansas football team was overmatched for the second year in a row against in-state rival Kansas State, falling 59-21 to the Wildcats on Saturday afternoon at Memorial Stadium.

After punting on its first possession, KSU scored touchdowns on its next four drives. The Wildcats also added a field goal on their final possession after completing a 48-yard pass with nine seconds left in the half.

Things actually got uglier for KU in the second half.

Tyler Lockett returned the opening kickoff of the second half 97 yards for a score, and following a fumble by Tony Pierson, Collin Klein added a 1-yard touchdown run.

After another KU fumble, this one by quarterback Jordan Webb, Klein completed a 19-yard TD pass to Lockett to make it 52-14 with 10:33 left in the third quarter.

Klein set his career high for passing yards, finishing 12 of 19 for 195 yards with a passing touchdown. He also rushed 13 times for 92 yards and four TDs, which tied him for the second-most in a game in KSU history.

Webb led KU's offense, completing 21 of 28 passes for 169 yards with a touchdown and no interceptions.

KU (2-5) will travel to face Texas at 6 p.m. on Oct. 29.

Turner Gill postgame press conference audio

Box score

Comments

baldwinjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

YES! The entire staff.. That was my 4th game to watch in person this year. We are fundamentally bad at almost every position. I know they are young but when they made mistakes i was watching to see if a coach would go up to the kid and talk to him about his mistake. They didn't! As a past player and coach myself this was and always should be part of the learning curv. I don't think this group has any idea how to get more out of these mediocre players. But Coach Snyder always does. And the farmers were at their best on every down played. This defensive group is the most pathetic I've watched at a D1 level in years. The pass allowed right before the end of the first half is a perfect example of Bad coaching and BAd playing. If your going to stop a 30 yard pass, play 30 yards off of the ball dumba****. So who do you blame for that play. The coaches should have had them set up properly. They didn't the entire game.

rob4lb 8 years, 4 months ago

Is it wrong that I'm happy OSU just added a late score against MU to go up 45-24.

Andy Smith 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm happy that you're happy. It's not wrong.

741hawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Misery is already looking forward to competing among the Confederates!

Alex Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Not wrong at all. In fact, it is encouraged.

Christopher Hauser 8 years, 4 months ago

Can't wait for the Turner Gill Press Conference. Oh wait, I can just listen to the last four post game press conferences and it will be the same thing.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

The real tragedy is that there are some really good players out there and their talent is wasted. If I was them, I would feel completely ripped off.

rob4lb 8 years, 4 months ago

I witnessed last year's KU-K-State game and I never thought we get beat that badly again. I actually has K-State as a potential win this year. Was I ever wrong? When I was in school in the last 1970's, we would get rolled by OU and NU, but would play competitive games with the other conference schools even if we did not win. Now, we are get rolled by all conference schools. I don't know where they go from here. I feel bad for the players.

kujayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't feel bad for the defensive players, they are living their dream of being D-I football players....even though most of them aren't.

kujayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Fire the entire staff.......KSU isn't that good.

kujayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

They aren't even in the same league as OSU or OU.

Micky Baker 8 years, 4 months ago

K-State is near as athletic as Kansas is. The difference is the coaching.

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't count them out against OU. OU has to be dreading this game. Having to go to their house. You know the noise is going to be like a stadium twice as large. In fact, I think I'd take K-State in this one if I were laying a wager. I really kept thinking K-State was going to get exposed, but they keep getting it done. Their D is definitely for real, a championship defense. Somehow, their offense keeps chugging along. Special teams are once again up to their billing. K-State is in the top 3 of the conference.

Cora Smith 8 years, 4 months ago

Wait just a minute! We showed improvement in this game! We scored two more touchdowns than we did last year! Why....if we keep it up will set records! Bring back the fat boy!

KGphoto 8 years, 4 months ago

Quit being a bunch of crybabies. It's more embarrassing than losing. That was quite possibly the best coach in the history of college football, and he owns us. Crying won't change that, and firing Gill won't change that either.

Alex Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Apparently you think everyone is clueless. Add something to the conversation instead of just insults and sarcastic comments (maybe actually talk about football intelligently instead of knee-jerk reactions to the score?). Otherwise you are just a troll.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Your probably some fat slob, who got cut from his pee wee football for not getting the water for everyone fast enough. But hey, you most know a lot about football.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 4 months ago

I seem to remember Kansas beating that coach in the past...as in when we had a different coach. His name was Mark Mangino, do you remember him? So, in that sense, I think firing Gill would change that.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

I was at that game. Sweet victory. If I close my eyes and click my heels 3 times, I can almost remember how nice it was to win.

LSHawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Bill Snyder is 16- 4 against KU. He owns us because we can not seem to hire a decent coach who will build a decent program.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 4 months ago

Or, Screw Perkins fires him for doing things like "poking people" and "being a football coach"

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Or racial comments and derogatory comments toward players. Players came out and told us stuff mangino would say.

babyjay1 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm done... I have tried my best to support TG... give himt time to build his team,etc... I am now done watching a team that looks unprepared to play, cannot stop anyone and demonstrates the WORST play caling ever! We have pretty good seats and I am sick to death of watching TG looked bored out there - he never actually looks like he's doing any coaching, never gets fired up, ... Maybe I just hated leaving shortly after the 12 once again because I felt sorry for our team - they just look like they have no ability to be part of the game. Or maybe I just hate hearing ESPN call us "historically bad." Fire Turner Gill! Sadly, my family will not be buying our season tickets next year if he is still the coach. Guess I should email the athetic director.. if enough people/boosters do this, think it could make a difference?

kujayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I think Gill has had too many concussions. Seriously.

Andy Smith 8 years, 4 months ago

You're not alone. The AD has seen the season ticket sales. They will decrease next year too if a change is not made.

Alex Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

I think the problem is getting enough money to absorb the rest of his contract and then hire another coaching staff on top of that.

babyjay1 8 years, 4 months ago

I know the money is an issue but it appears obvious they made a serious mistake... I realize we aren't a coach's "dream job" right now but a good coach could come in here and make a real difference.

Andy Smith 8 years, 4 months ago

We're already paying Mangino. Bring him back.

Micky Baker 8 years, 4 months ago

Gordon and Talib were Sophomores and Freshmen respectively when Mangino got them. They were 3 star recruits. Nick Reid was a 3 star recruit. McDougald, the other safety, and TO are 4-star recruits. We have three four star recruits at running back, three star WRs(But the differences between a 4 star and 3 star at WR are much smaller).

None of the players Mangino recruited that won the Orange Bowl

Meier 3-star recruit Reesing 3-star Brisco 3-star Fields 3-star Sharp and McAnderson 3-star.

The difference was in the coaching and the discipline the coaching staff instilled in the players. YOu can't have it both ways when it comes to calling yelling at a kid for a stupid 15 yard penalty on a kick or punt return doing a flip into the endzone abusive, and then wanting TG to be more of a discipline minded coach than he is.

Sure, Mangino sit some guys for the mistakes and shouldn't have sit them out for an entire season unless the player copped an "all about me" attitude. This team isn't playing undisciplined for a reason. It is a reflection on the coaching staff. Mangino instilled discipline from day one. That Defense between 2003 through 2005 was not a super talented group of guys, but a super group of guys that played as a unit. Snyder has done the same thing at Kansas State. He doesn't have a super talented group of guys, KU's recruiting class was far better than K-State's. I don't have much of a chance to go to Kansas football games, but I was at the Homecoming game in 2004 against K-State that Kansas won against a Bill Snyder coached team. That was Mangino's third season. Kansas beat Nebraska the following year and that aided recruiting. Then Mangino won the Orange Bowl, and that aided recruiting. The past two seasons won't aid recruiting. They're going to have to make a move on Turner Gill today, if they want a chance of this not being a decade long disaster, even after TG leaves with the damage that has been done.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

It wasn't just Mangino that made the team. They had great coaching in the strength department, too. Chris Dawson was one of our biggest assets. To build a great team, first you need to make it strong.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

Oh yes, Bill seems to be doing very well at Oklahoma State, as is Dawson strength training at K State. We flushed a lot of coaching talent down the toilet when we fired Mangino.

Eric Dawson 8 years, 4 months ago

Young left for Miami after 2007 because he had had enough of Mangino. That was the beginning of the end for the Fat Man.

But you are right that we should not have let Chris Dawson go. I'll add David Beaty to that short list. Big mistakes.

shelleysue 8 years, 4 months ago

I've said the same thing many times. Dawson was great.

Alex Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't look at the stars as the end all, be all for their talent. Texas' roster has more 5 stars than anyone yet the players just can't put it together. I'm not disagreeing that TG's staff has looked incompetent come game day, but high school ratings is an inexact science. Boise State and TCU has had a lot of 3 star recruits go onto the NFL and that isn't just coaching, it also has to do with individual work ethic and the intelligence to make the mental adjustments as a player. Also, remember that the players that are playing so atrocious right now and that led us to a 5-7 year with Ressing, Briscoe, Stuckey, Meier, and Sharp are now are upperclassmen.

Don't get me wrong, I think we have the worst coach in the Big XII, but we also are a young team (20 starters returning next year), with a weak defensive line (no pressure on QB = playing pitch and catch with WRs), and an over-matched DC (who also only had 2 months to implement his system (compared to 7 months of most DCs). All those together is a bad equation.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Didn't we also finish last with Meier Reesing Brisco and Sharp?

Eric Dawson 8 years, 4 months ago

Agree with your point, but two other points to remember about 2009:

1. KU's fortunes changed dramatically after 2007 when DC Bill Young finally had enough of Mangino and left for Miami for the 2008 season. The D has not been as good since.

2. KU's 2009 chances went down dramatically when Reesing pulled his groin, never fully recovered from it, yet Mangino kept playing him despite his limited scrambling ability. Nothing more clearly demonstrates this than the fact that KU started 5-0, Reesing got injured and KU finished 0-7.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Agreed, Im just tired of everyone acting like we were the best team after Mangino resigned/got fired. I've lost faith in Gill, but its not like he took the best team to the bottom. We just stayed at the bottom.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 4 months ago

The church of Ahperse is open for business! I'd like to remain patient, but it's getting really tough. Our boys look worse by the game! This one hurts. This is a K-State team that has been pretty pedestrian on offense all year, and they marched up and down the field on us...SAD!!!

jhawkjjm 8 years, 4 months ago

All I want to hear out of Gill is "I'm stepping down effectively immediately and will be returning the money I've stolen from KU the past year and half."

cjleiker 8 years, 4 months ago

ONLY MOTHER TERESA WOULD GIVE BACK ALL THAT MONEY. WHAT WE NEED IS A MIRACLE AND AT LEAST A NEW DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR OR TURNER STEPPING DOWN.

clarkentsman 8 years, 4 months ago

I wish I had counted the number of times that the TV analysts talked about fundamentals. Each time it was how fundamentally sound KSU played and how fundamentally unsound KU played.

thelastjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

If we have learned anything from K-State, it's that all it takes is for a good coach to come in to turn a program around. Let's hope the brass remembers that

rockchalkjhawk1 8 years, 4 months ago

FIRE GILL NOW!!!!! It is one thing to lose 70 something to 7 to OSU which is a top 25 team. But to lose 59 to 21 to your rival?!?! that's embarassing, If we do not fire gill after this we are just shooting ourselves in the foot. And to think we are also going to have a middle of the pack basketball team this year. It is a bad time to be a jayhawk fan. DOWN WITH GILL!!!!!!

Andy Smith 8 years, 4 months ago

I just incepted a phone call. Zenger asks, "Do you want to come back"? The other party replies, I might as well, you're paying anyway". Shock the world Zenger..

okchawks24 8 years, 4 months ago

another horrible performance by ku and its time for turner gill and the rest of the coaches gone to many mistakes again at least my pitt state team is winning again

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm trying to get my mind off the game, and saw on CNN that a megaconference is in the works including the MWC, Big East and CUSA. WVU is NOT included in the plan because it is assumed they will be the newest member of the Big XII. Well, that didn't work! I thought about the Mountaineers visiting for a few minutes but now I'm all pissed off about the game again...BUMMER!

Micky Baker 8 years, 4 months ago

At the beginning of this season, I was giving Gill a chance. I thought this team could be much improved from a year ago. Boy, was I wrong. Even with better players, I was wrong.

I feel badly for the students at the game today. They don't deserve to be the badly embarrassed at home against the in state rival. This is the second straight year, at home, this has happened. I feel badly for these players, some of which would have had shots at the NFL in the next couple of seasons. Well, their hopes are going, going, GONE! It would be a huge injustice if Turner Gill is still head coach tomorrow. Dreams get destroyed when leaders don't lead. Turner Gill is not leading. I hate to say it Turner Gill. I think you're a good guy, but you suck at coaching football.

Not that is of any value whatsoever, but at least we're at rock bottom now and it can't get worse, I PRAY.

Ibajayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

TG is the worst coach I have ever had the displeasure of watching ruin young mens lives and views of the way things are really done in life. I truly believe Perkins knew he was going to get canned and hired this -urd as a way to get vengance on KU. Someone said earlier that he never changed expression or attitude. That's because there is only 'Himself and His guys' in his world. He is truly a lousy coach. Winning in the MAC does not qualify you as a good coach. I think he does make good decisions though. He hung onto Tom O's coat tails for a long time, then sucked some one at Buffalo into thinking he could coach and then the greatest fraud of all he conspired with Lew to screw KU admin and every KU fan and booster. He is truly the great deciever.

Maracas 8 years, 4 months ago

Turner Gill is going to drive this program into the ground. Him, his coordinators, and that tub of lard S&C coach. Memorial is going to be vast wasteland next year.

Micky Baker 8 years, 4 months ago

If Turner Gill has class, he'll quit and forfeit the rest of his contract. He hasn't earned it.

Christopher Hauser 8 years, 4 months ago

Feel for you Steven Johnson, keep your head up

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

+1 That's a young man who is definitely getting the short end of all of this. I hope to see him go on and do really well in the NFL.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

I think it's time for some tough decisions all the way around. I think the best move Gill can make is to replace the Defense Coaching staff, I think it's his only shot at saving face. I think we let the pendulum swing too far in the opposite direction trying to be politically correct after Mangino. Unfortunately, despite how nice we want the world to be, sometimes you need a good #%& chewing to get your head out of your you know what. It's football, get over your hurt feelings and channel it onto the field. The team will follow, they need leadership.

buckleyhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

I have been saying that all along. Football is not a nice sport. Sports in general aren't nice. It's competition. Somebody wins. Somebody loses.

Think about another type of competition -- for-profit business. Do companies that want to make as much money as they can hire "nice" guys at the top? You think Steve Jobs was "nice"? Bill Gates? Even the ones that are "nice" are shrewd and manipulative -- that's how they win their battles.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

Exactly. I think if my performance at work were this bad, I'd be on the street. Football isn't nice. Mangino could have done things differently, yes, and in some cases better, but what happened was nothing short of a witch hunt. Discipline is paramount to being successful in all of life, and most especially in sports.

Gill can still turn this around, not this season but this program, but the question of the hour is he 'too nice of a guy' to make the touch decisions.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

Ooops. I meant 'tough decisions'. I was getting too passionate and typing too quickly.

babyjay1 8 years, 4 months ago

Email sent... I hope Zenger receives many like mine! I know that I am only one small and not very significant "booster" but if everyone that feels TG should go would email and give him their thoughts (in a coherent and polite way), maybe he would act....

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

Don't know, but we do need to initiate he search as soon as possible.

Eric Dawson 8 years, 4 months ago

Hire former KU DC (2002-2007) and current OSU DC Bill Young. (I have no problem with having OSU grads as the HCs of our two revenue sports).

Keep Reggie Mitchell and David Beatty but fire everyone else.

And try to get Chris Dawson back (unlikely given he's back with Snyder, but maybe one of his disciples?)

Ethan Berger 8 years, 4 months ago

Hmm interesting, we deff need to keep mitchell, he has been the hand in alot of the recruits we brought in.

BillyGoat 8 years, 4 months ago

Snyder is on the other side of 70 and he seems to be doing OK.

Kenny Terry 8 years, 4 months ago

I'm afraid football has sunk to a all time low. If we can't be competive and show some heart against in state rival changes need to be made.

Eric Dawson 8 years, 4 months ago

If Zenger fires Gill after this season, the KUAD will get an immediate donation from my family the day of the announcement.

Keep Reggie Mitchell and David Beatty, but fire everyone else. It's just too embarrassing.

Mangino's gone, so give it up already. Besides, the real architect of his success was DC Bill Young, and Mangino's downfall really began when he drove Young away.

If Zenger can get Young (current OSU DC) to come back as head coach, we'll donate again.

And whatever else is done, try to get Chris Dawson back -- or at least get one of his disciples, assuming he has any.

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 4 months ago

Guys...I've turned...my eyes have turned red and yellow and I now kill Jedi children. (Star Wars reference, I do not kill children) Anyway, I'm on the Dark Side now. Fire Gill. Don't wait for the end of the season. Don't even wait for the stadium to clear this afternoon. Fire Turner Gill now. He's had his opportunity, and we all had the hope that we'd be better this year, and our offense is better...kinda. But our defense, somehow, is worse. He's had plenty of opportunity to clear through the brush and give us a taste of what is to come, and what is to come is more horrible coaching and heavy losses. We've had every opportunity to use every excuse in the book. It's down to cold hard facts now. Turner Gill is a poor football coach. Fire the Head Coach, fire the assistant coaches, the position coaches, the S&C coach...fire the entire coaching staff...clear house and start over. Bring the fat man back! Do something NOW! You want to hear what the broadcasters are saying? Kirk Herbstreit asked "Does Kansas even have a football team?" During the game today "Kansas has been the conscientious objector in this game" And they go on and on and on. This program is not rebuilding, it is deteriorating. Get rid of Turner Gill. It will be worth the $7mill we still owe him to just send him packing.

Eric Dawson 8 years, 4 months ago

Do not fire everyone. Mitchell and Beaty are keepers. Try to get Bill Young back, this time as HC instead of DC. Forget about Mangino, Young and Reesing were why the Fat Man's teams won.

Otherwise I am sorry to admit I agree with you.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

You are right. Mitchell is a great recruiter, we need to keep him. Beaty was brought back already from the Mangino regime, yes, keep him.

As for Mangino, lets just let that pass as part of the KU ball history.

babyjay1 8 years, 4 months ago

+1 and send your email to Zenger today! Flood his inbox!!

Geekinout 8 years, 4 months ago

Wendi Nix was even making fun of KU football when they were giving out grades yesterday. She jokingly said something on the lines of, sorry KU, but you deserve an F. A female sports reporter, whose name is reminiscent to that of an adult film star, making fun of KU football has been one of my low points as a ku football fan.

Kyle Sybesma 8 years, 4 months ago

I've been on the Turner Gill bandwagon since he got hired but I can't defend this. I'm assuming he has a four year contract and after nearly two years this is what we have to show for it. I can't see us being competitive in two years to narrow a 38 point loss to K-State. KSU, OU and OSU could have put up 100 if they didn't call the dogs off. Snyder is in his 3rd year back and has the Cats at #11. I see no sign of improvement. I'd be more patient if there wasn't so much talk about realignment that centers around football. We've got about 5 years to turn this program around before the Big 12 gets poached again.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Tear down Memorial Stadium. It's not AFH and we've had only one memorable season in '07 and only on memorable player in Gale Sayers. I can't think of any program in the Big 12, Big East, SEC, Big 10 or Pac12 that has a track around it's field. Get new uniforms that draw attention to the program like Oregon or Maryland. Ugly or not people talk about 'em.

I'll give Gill the 2012 season but I need to see some significant improvement. I know very little about football but the play calling is horrible on offense and defense. I don't even know where to start.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

"Get new uniforms that draw attention to the program like Oregon or Maryland. Ugly or not people talk about 'em.+

Maryland Alums want Edsall's head already and this is his first season!

Kyle Sybesma 8 years, 4 months ago

thank you for the referance of one program. First season right. Let's list others with new modern uniforms. Arizona State, Boise State. Rutgers and Missery have worn flat black helmets. Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio State have worn throw back uniforms. The point is it's time to do something different. We can't take the tradition path like we do with basketball because football has none. It's time to get extreme because the problems are extreme.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

Touché. The owner of Under Armour is a UMD Alum and going into the fall, all that we have heard here in DC is UMD's unies. Since the UMD victory over Miami, they have had little success including an embarassing loss to Temple. Many Alums feel that Edsall is more focused on what UMD will wear the next game versus the game plan. That was what I was referring to.Maybe jazzing up the unies will create some ineterst. I only want to see the names of the players back on their unies.

Eric Dawson 8 years, 4 months ago

Gill is in year 2 of a 5 year contract, KU will owe him $6M after this season. Gill's a nice guy but an ineffective head coach. I'm just waiting for the firing announcement to send in my check to the KUAD to help cover the cost of letting Gill go. Can't cover it myself (I wish ;-), but if thousands of us out there pitch in at least we would know our $ went to a good cause.

All of you out there wanting Gill gone now -- be prepared to write a check to KUAD to help cover his buyout. Even if it's only $10, every $ hlps, and it will be $ better spent than your tickets to another horrible FB season.

Geekinout 8 years, 4 months ago

Agreed! We have goofy endzone seats that are over priced and don't sell out, while other teams have 3 tier level endzones. We have a track, one of the last D-1 programs. We built a state of the art athletic facility attached to an old dumpy stadium. We took out 2 huge parking lots where it was possible to tailgate, to put in practice fields that could have been put somewhere else near campus that didn't screw up parking. We have simply wasted millions time after time for a poorly planned stadium upgrades. Who ever has been making these decisions needs to go back to school...

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

Umm, I don't know if under the diaper it was ever established that Lew had man parts.

BillyGoat 8 years, 4 months ago

If there were any justice, Big Lew would be made to buy out Gill's contract.

Mark Kostner 8 years, 4 months ago

KU rules basketball, but this football program is turning into a serious drag on the school. A few weeks back when the Big 12's existence was in jeopardy, the talk was where KU was going to end up, and there was talk KU may have had to go to a mid major conference, despite the storied history of the basketball program, all because of the lackluster history of the football program. The reality is football rules college athletics in the twenty first century, ask the Big East. Luckily the Big 12 held together and appears on the mend, Mizzou notwithstanding. But in the wake of conference reshuffling, I have read some articles that even suggest, KU lose its BCS status because of its football program. That's serious. This football program is in serious need of repair, but it is doable. If one coach, Bill Snyder, can take K-State from one of the worst programs in college football history to a winner, KU surely can do the same. The school deserves a football program is not an embarrassment to the university at large.

Kyle Sybesma 8 years, 4 months ago

Your exactly right. This needs to get fixed quickly. The new Big 12 contract will last 5 or 6 years and at that point the Big 12 will find its self in the same scenerio it's in now. Football is going to four 16 team power conferences which will probably be the ACC, Big 10, SEC and PAC 12. The four conferences will allow for the champion of each conference to have a four team playoff which everyone wants. It doesn't matter if basketball is strong enough to carry KU into one of those conferences because it is and there is enough spots open. The question is what is KU going to do to be competitive in the Big 12 and what ever conference we're in 10 or 20 years from now. We don't have to win a national championship but let's at least be competitive. Let's crack the top 25, get to bowl games and flirt with a conference championship now and then.

Someone is out there to do for KU what Bill Snyder did for K-State. After being on the Turner Gill bandwagon I'm not so sure he's that someone.

callowax 8 years, 4 months ago

In all seriousness, it's probably too late. KU, K-State and ISU are all going to be in no-man's land when the conference reshuffling really gets going. In 10 years, KU, KSU and ISU will be in the same conference as Wichita State.

rob4lb 8 years, 4 months ago

There are some other struggling BCS programs- Minnesota, Indiana, Colorado, Duke. We might be able to beat one of those teams.

Ibajayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Maybe gill should stop playing favorites and let both second strings start the next game. How much worse can it get? Those kids would be hungry for playing time and wouldn't lay down after the other team scores once. gill has made it law that only his guys will get playing time and it doesn't seemed to have worked out. Try something different than not scoring in the second half of a game. Anything will be an improvement.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

Very broad generalization! You should not go there.

grisgris 8 years, 4 months ago

Agreed. Bringing race into the discussion just invalidates what could be an interesting point of view.

Shelbiluvshawks 8 years, 4 months ago

I think that you racists are the sick people. You can post whatever you want about how terrible this Kansas team is(I agree), but keep skin color out of it.

babyjay1 8 years, 4 months ago

That was a seriously stupid comment!! Exactly how racist are you? I can only hope that you aren't truly a KU fan!! I want TG gone but for many REAL reasons... You are a jerk!

Eric Williams 8 years, 4 months ago

Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin, Raheem Morris, Lovie Smith...all these guys seem to win.

Geekinout 8 years, 4 months ago

Wow, make sure you wipe the sh1t off your boots before you go inside. Welcome to 2011...

cjleiker 8 years, 4 months ago

ISN'T IT TIME TO GIVE QUINN HIS SHOT AT BEING THE MAN. JORDAN MAY HAVE A BETTER ARM DOWN FIELD, BUT I WOULD ARGUE THAT QUINN HAS A BETTER SHORT TO MEDIUM LEVEL PASSING GAME DUE TO HIS BETTER TOUCH. YOU MAY NOT REMEMBER, BUT JOE MONTANA DIDN'T HAVE A STRONG ARM, BUT HE SURE COULD BEAT YOU WITH A SHORT TO MEDIUM PASSING GAME. COACH GIVE QUINN HIS CHANCE BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE TO SALVAGE THIS SEASON.

Shelbiluvshawks 8 years, 4 months ago

personally i think we should get somebody famous like mike ditka or jon gruden but who would wasnt to coach this team.

Mangino_Maniac 8 years, 4 months ago

I just listend to Turner Gill's press conference...... his responses are bizarre.

He is not the man for the job.

The_Real_Hawkman 8 years, 4 months ago

I am a KU fan until I die and will stand with our coach until he is gone, be it tomorrow, end of the season, or 3 years from now, but if they do can him I say go after Mike Leach (HC) and Mike Stoops (DC)

boknowssports 8 years, 4 months ago

LOL...I've watched the posts from the sidelines mostly. Let's face the facts, alph has been right all along.

Hammertoe 8 years, 4 months ago

The Greatest Coach in the history of college sports in the state of Kansas is named Bill....... Synder!

Kenny Terry 8 years, 4 months ago

A coach making 2 mil a year and near new facilities for football should be able to put a competive team on the field.

boknowssports 8 years, 4 months ago

where are all the Gill lovers talking about improvement??? Heck, last year it was 59-7, this year 59-21. At this pace we may catch them some day! Turner Gill for President!!!,,,,,blhahahahahhahaha

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

For the mos part, we have talent, but they are ill prepared and are.just flat out poorly coached.

boknowssports 8 years, 4 months ago

and Tait better man up and get over his honeymoon with Gill. Is it too difficult for him to call out Gill? His articles are about as bad as Gill.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 4 months ago

Tait does a great job! He has my vote! I question the skill of certain others at the LJW.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Now I hope they actually DO bring Mangino back. Tomorrow.

Give him the exact same players, the exact same coaching staff, the exact same fans.

He will prove to you knuckleheads that he is at least as bad of a coach as Gill.

Evidently, Gill isn't the guy.

Mangino isn't either.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Sigh.........................

I miss Colorado.

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 4 months ago

I miss Colorado, too! I miss another excuse to visit!!!

stm62 8 years, 4 months ago

This is Lews doing. What a mess Zenger inherited. It's going to be extremely difficult to get the football program going again. Conference chaos, huge buy out clause.

babyjay1 8 years, 4 months ago

Sounds like Gill's tenure may be short lived. Thanks for that link - wish a decision could be made sooner but at least he spoke out!

Jack McEnaney 8 years, 4 months ago

This may be a long shot, but how is this for Zenger for a splash hire.

JIM TRESSEL!!!!!!

1.) He has to be bored sitting around watching Colts games every Sunday.

2.) He can hire a staff that can work with our talent

3.) Lawerence, KS will become a recruit hot spot. Do you know how many players from OSU went to the NFL under Tressel?

4.) Basketball and football under Tressel puts KU back on the map.

LJW is this a possibility? It would cost 6 mil for Gil, probably 5 mil per for Tressel but we would be very relevent in the new big 12 right? What are the ncaa implications for Tressel?

haydenhawkco 8 years, 4 months ago

I don't know. Turning a blind eye to NCAA violations is not a positive in the eyes of an AD.

HireJimTressel_ku 8 years, 4 months ago

Better than turning a blind eye to back to back 59 points allowed at home to your rival

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Texas_Longhorns -

After listening to your OklahomaSooners and KState_Wildcats persona spew garbage the past couple of weeks, we're all looking forward to your new role as Texas_Longhorns.

We appreciate your originality in coming up with the great user names too. Much more inventive than your BOOMER SOONER and EMAW rants. I forget - what does Texas say?

Moo ?

babyjay1 8 years, 4 months ago

Sad... I keep checking back to see if there is an article stating that our head coach has been "relieved of his duties" but nothing new... Sigh....

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 4 months ago

Look at the link I posted just above. SZ clearly won't fire Gill until after the season, if that's indeed what happens.

SoCalAlum 8 years, 4 months ago

Hope Mike Leach's number is in the speed dial...

rob4lb 8 years, 4 months ago

I suspect that Gill will be here for at least another year. I can't see us hiring Leach. I suspect he may end up at UCLA anyway. The problem we have is that we do not have a viable alternative if Turner Gill is terminated. Which established coach would come here? I think KU is too PC to pick a coach with past controversy like Leach, Leavitt or someone like Gary Barnett. Not only is the KU job a huge reconstruction project, it is in an unstable conference. You would have to pick an assistant coach at a successful program and that will always be a gamble.

HireJimTressel_ku 8 years, 4 months ago

True, Ku doesnt like controversial people involved at the school, ahem josh selby, braeden anderson, ben mclemore

HireJimTressel_ku 8 years, 4 months ago

Geekinout 8 years, 4 months ago

Not sure, but Leach getting a chance to stick it to his former team might be incentive enough for the guy... It'd be so much fun to watch the arial attack as opposed to countless draw sweeps that get stuffed every time.

HireJimTressel_ku 8 years, 4 months ago

It would be fun to watch the aerial attack, but it would be more fun to watch actual fireworks being blown off around lawrence when the team wins back to back bcs games under tressel. If Tebow can start for denver this week thanks to the denver fans pressure, I think we can get Tressel here. Its time for major changes to the program, and start our own decade of dominance

Kenny Terry 8 years, 4 months ago

Does impersonating a D1 college football coach be grounds to fire with cause and not have to buyout the remainder of Gills contract?

Randy Bombardier 8 years, 4 months ago

Gill should get one more year. I think he understands where he is. I believe that he will be open for advice and probably be seeking plenty for what may be his last year. He is smart enough to know that he needs a seasoned DC, but will probably have to wait til season's end to make that move. Perhaps the AD is going to help him make that move. I believe that two years is never enough time no matter what. Could he have a miraculous turnaround next year? Probably not, but the cost is too great, we are too close to the previous buyout. Perhaps AD and he can come to an agreement for performance and TG will agree to step down if a certain threshold (goal for himself and team) is not reached by the end of next season. That way, Gill puts the pressure on himself and KU saves expense and some face. Can't be any backlash if he agrees to resign if he does not reach his own goal.

fljayhawk 8 years, 4 months ago

Hopeless Hapless Inept Fire the Coaches Claim insanity Forfeit the season End the misery And I thought the Chuck Mather era was a bummer in the 50's

haydenhawkco 8 years, 4 months ago

It's too bad. Gill got some good recruits and is a positive influence. It's not as if he is another Mike Locksley. He just can't seem to surround himself with great assistants. I honestly think he will be given a third season but if the same results occur, he'll be released mid-season.

Geekinout 8 years, 4 months ago

Mike Leach-O / Mike Stoops-D ? (Mike&Mike is catchy)

I've heard Jim Tressels name thrown out there, I like it... I still think he was thrown to the wolves and was Ohio State's scape goat.

Get a coach maybe from the professional ranks?

I really think KU has the money to bring in a big name, especially considering what Gill is making. Also, I still think there are plenty of big-time alumni that would happily buy his contract out.

We need Change fast or it's only going to get worse.