Texas Tech defeats Kansas, 45-34

• 11 a.m., Oct. 1, 2011
  • David Booth Kansas Memorial Stadium, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: Texas Tech rallies from 20-point deficit in 45-34 victory over KU

Texas Tech dominated the second and third quarters, overcoming an early 20-point deficit in a 45-34 victory over Kansas on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

The Jayhawks — who came into the game with just one lost turnover all season — gave it away four times Saturday. That included Jordan Webb's first three interceptions this year.

KU started well, taking a 20-0 lead with 3:39 left in the first quarter on a fumble recovery by receiver Kale Pick in the end zone.

Just 7 minutes, 51 seconds later, Texas Tech grabbed the lead, 21-20, following a 13-yard touchdown pass form Seth Doege to Jacoby Franks.

Doege completed 29 of 46 passes for 366 yards and three touchdowns with an interception.

Webb, meanwhile, was 16-for-22 for 239 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions.

A highlight for KU was Brandon Bourbon, who rushed 10 times for 101 yards and a touchdown. He also contributed KU's longest run of the year: a 51-yard TD run in the first quarter.

KU (2-2) will travel to Stillwater, Okla., to play Oklahoma State at 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 8.

KU coach Turner Gill press conference

Comments

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

Wayward. You get a pass on this, but you are WAY off if you think Webb is responsible for KU only scoring in the 30's. He threw a pinpoint pass to Besheears early, another pass to Biere for a TD. He had his moments. Perhaps you are deflecting the pressure off of Gill. Fine. But Webb wasn't as terrible as you imagine. He also didn't have the protection you are claiming. It's just a tough loss. The blame goes across the board.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Gill made a few calls I didn't like, but I thought the gameplan was pretty solid, and I know the preparition was where it needed to be. We just made mistakes, key mistakes that cost us this game.

4 turnovers, 3 were Webb's.

you can say a ball that hits a receivers hand should be caught and you are right. But all three of those interceptions were to double covered receivers, meaning someone else is Open. The receivers still dropping the ball, then you can blame the receiver, but the rule is you don't throw into double coverage.

Being a Quarterback you have to man up and take responsibility when you make a mistake, and He's going to have a long week. He can get out of this but his decisions cost us a winnable game.

cg1029 8 years, 5 months ago

The KSU game is winnable? You mean the KSU team that went on the road and beat a Miami team that would beat KU by 40... Or the KSU team that is playing with Baylor at Baylor right now... Winning vs NIU was the last winnable game for Gill... Fire Him now and move on.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

Get your facts right before getting diarrhea of the fingers.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

Only 1 of Webb's INT's is actually on Webb. The 2nd and 3rd picks both came off of tips that the KU receivers should've had. Omigie had the ball go right through his hands, Webb's pass to him was perfect and we wonder why Omigie doesn't play more. The 3rd pick probably wasn't the wisest pass Webb has ever made (lobbing a pass into double coverage), but the receiver still had a better chance at it than either Tech defender and was unlucky on the bounce the ball took.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Cannot agree with any of this... Sorry It fails the eye test.

cg1029 8 years, 5 months ago

Ture Gill should only get 2 more games... Terry Allen did not embarass KU this bad.

Eric Williams 8 years, 5 months ago

So Allen was given 5 years, but Gill should only be given 1 year (2010) and 4 games (2011) with the 4 games being the only 4 games with his guys.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

I love your enthusiasm today, KG, But Webb Just didn't get it done today.

Our O-line did well for most of the game controlling their D-Line, we ran the ball very effectively but we had very little success in the Passing game despite Webb's accuracy numbers.

His decision making let us into short field ( as well as Beshear's muffed punt, which precedes any of Webb's grand mental flopping. ) and that short field killed us.

Our Defense played better, but still needs tweaking.

It's going to be a long two weeks.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

I wasn't able to see the second half. What did I miss?

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

I just wanna hear Turner say in the postgame presser:

Texas Tech is who we thought they were ... and we let them off the hook!!!

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

We did. We totally did. There are somethings we weren't going to be able to do today, For one consistently pressing the Quarterback, or consistently forcing turnovers.

Coming into this season there were 5 games I thought were marginally winnable and we are 0-2 in those games thus far.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Our improved offense, and our ability to slow them last year with arguably weaker defensive players.

The thing that always stuck in my craw about that game was we have no dominant Dlineman who can make an impact ..... Which would have helped.

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

Wayward. 72% completion rate for 239 yds, and 3 touchdowns is more than we ever expected from Webb this year. Two of his INTs were deflected, another pass went off a facemask. What exactly are your requirements again?

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Yup... Which means he could have torched this team had he thrown to Open receivers.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

he has three lineman who can play D1 football. Three of them. Dorsey who is still limited, this kid Smith who is an unknown commodity and Austinho who is undersized. We are not going to match them with size in the trenches.

waywardJay 8 years, 5 months ago

Stacking the line with 238 Pound players does not make a goal line stand...... Especially freshman players at 238.... you have a better chance with seniors at that size but if you don't have 270+ to put in there in that situation... then no you aren't going to stop them. They have 270+ upwards 350. that close the speed cannot make the difference.

Elementary school football, Self-proclaimed Genius.

kesmithstl1 8 years, 5 months ago

gonna have to go 88 mph and it requires 1.21 jigawatts of power to do that. Don't know if he wanted to come here anyway.

deathtomizzou 8 years, 5 months ago

Pathetic defensive performance by both the players and the coaches. The KU offense is the very least of this teams problems. Turner Gill is in way over his head and needs to go. What's going to be the word of the week this week? Miracle?????????

gchawk 8 years, 5 months ago

It's been said that the true definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Our offense scores enough points to conceivably win the game, but our defense just doesn't get the job done, and I'm not seeing any adjustments. It's obvious that our young men are lacking confidence, a critical element in winning, and at this point I'm not sure Gill has the where-with-all to instill the much needed confidence. Totally frustrating 3 quarters.

hawksfanatic 8 years, 5 months ago

The first in a series of painful losses to come. This will be a long, hard season. The top twenty powers will make mincemeat of us, I'm afraid. I would be more than happy to eat my words at the end of the season if Gill and company can prove me wrong. A recent article on the Miami Dolphins (who are pretty much bottom dwellers this year) pointed out that the worst thing for a sports team is indifference. Losses year after year lead to indifference about the football team. I wish there was more to look forward to than just KU basketball.

Cora Smith 8 years, 5 months ago

We don't need to adjust anything at half time. We're ahead!

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

It's funny watching all these fans with such expectations of KU football. I guess I'm just not used to it. We are a pretty entertaining team compared to the 70's and 80's. It's not even close. We are better than we were then.

Theh 90's provided a little spark. Todd Reesing then blew our expectations completely out of proportion. The sky is still there folks. And it's still blue too.

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

If Boise State can do it ... and South Florida ... then why NOT Kansas?!

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

South Florida is twice the size of KU and they live in the second biggest football recruiting bed in the nation.

Boise State got a hot coach. I don't know what's going on there, but Notre Dame has sucked for 20 years now. Your point?

hawksfanatic 8 years, 5 months ago

But KG - that's just the point. It's not just about expectations these days - it's about survival. The last two years prove it, as far as I'm concerned. I've been harping about a decent football team for twenty years, mostly my words fell on deaf ears. I think the fans are beginning to see the value of a good football team. At least I hope so.

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

They're not ... I heard all the hoops only azzholes all over the other side of this Board refuse to support a successful football program.

It's going to catch up with KU eventually ...

hawksfanatic 8 years, 5 months ago

Are you serious? Why would fans turn their backs on a successful football program? Please don't tell me that they buy into these "artistic" sports arguments. I love our b-ball team and it's wonderful when they do well, but anyone who doesn't believe that football is the primary and most important college sport needs to get their head out of their . . . . .

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Go over and check it out ... there's LOTS of them.

texashawk10 8 years, 5 months ago

Did you not see the stands after halftime, they were half empty and 90% empty after the 3rd quarter. There was no energy from the crowd in the second half whatsoever and that was the most embarrassing thing to watch to me today. Until the major donors KU has start putting significant money into the football program (like T. Boone), KU football will struggle to get any fan support. The model for making KU football relevant is a few hours south in Stillwater.

hawksfanatic 8 years, 5 months ago

Agree. I don't live in the Lawrence area, so KU games are few and far between for me - but I love The Hawks. I guess that goes to the indifference I was talking about. If this is what our fans want they are going to be sorely disappointed when the basketball program goes into decline because of our football indifference. The Big 12 did not teeter on collapse two years in a row because of basketball. I rest my case.

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

It's not about survival. You're drinking what they're selling.

hawksfanatic 8 years, 5 months ago

I'm not drinking what they're selling - alcoholic or not. If it's not about survival then what is it about? Relegation to a second-tier conference? Sorry, KG, I can't see that basketball, or track, or baseball, are going to be our saviors.

KGphoto 8 years, 5 months ago

It's about education you flaming idiot!

hawksfanatic 8 years, 5 months ago

My, KG, you should chill out. No need to resort to name calling. I will accept a reasonable argument, but how does education factor in? KU's academic excellence will save us?

Cora Smith 8 years, 5 months ago

I think that being in a highly competitve, highly visible conference with top ranked teams, we can not afford novice coaches and coaches who have never been a defensive coordinator before. I thought that was proven when Mangino elevated Bowen to defensive coordinatore. He was over his head and so is Shealy.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Alot of improvement. But we showed our age today. Our defense had a heartbeat today. Was doing great. Webb had 2 bad picks and the other should be on the receiver. We have an offense, which is promising. Our defense played solid the first half, but 2nd half allowed long drives. Young teams struggle closing games and we showed that today. We actually had a solid game plan, but mental breakdown by players lost this. At this level they should understand not to over pursue and if the ball its the palm of you hands, you catch it. 5 running backs have scored this year. We need to improve on the receiver and the d line. We were competitive which is good. But no reason we shouldn't have won this.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

forgot about them. They played well the 1st half but second half they did not.

cg1029 8 years, 5 months ago

If by closing games you mean KU sucked for 3 1/2 qtrs then yes they had a hard time closing out that game.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Were we winning at half? Where we up by 20. It is not a hard concept.

Cora Smith 8 years, 5 months ago

Just a reminder that Turner Gill is guaranteed $10 million dollars thru 5 years. Guaranteed. Even Dana Anderson can not afford to buy him out.

BlackVelvet 8 years, 5 months ago

Ahh if only KU had a defense. Specifically a pass defense.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 5 months ago

I slept through this game on accident... looks like that was a good idea.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

So did the defense.

And that was a bad idea.

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Well, that was fun.

Dropped passes. Fumbles. Missed Tackles. Penalties. Interceptions. Stupid play calling (both sides of the ball).

How do you blow a 3 touchdown lead? OH WAIT - I know!! I just watched it.

Please note the username - the "old" me would have been ranting and raving and cursing. (Deep Breath) But - hey - I have nu attitude now. ahem. Maybe I should get a Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde username so I could lose my mind when we have games like this and be all righteous when we win. ( I may have already used that persona up this year, looking at the schedule )

The worst part about this game - I missed a Lost in Space marathon this afternoon.

Or did I ?

nuleafjhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

Oh - I finally figured out why Gill won't let they players have their names on their jerseys. It has nothing to do with team unity or any such nonsense.

It's because he is a thoughtful, compassionate, caring man who loves his players.

And doesn't want them to be publicly humiliated.

Michael Maris 8 years, 5 months ago

Defense sucks totally. I'm sorry, but the Offense has the players to score now.

But, Vic Shealy and gang are NOT getting the job done. Defensive backs do NOT attack the receivers (once they have caught the ball). I remember watching the 2007 team and every time the receiver caught the ball, KU Linebackers and D-Backs were on the receiver automatically. D-Backs play to DAMN far off of their assignments. That tells me that the D-Backs are totally be instructed wrong. They are Re-Active (instead of attacking).

Gill and staff, the fans are getting very impatient. KU Administrators, the reason that KU athletics are in the position that they are in is for the last 40 years of being re-active instead of pro-active. Your leadership is terrible. Football Stadium should've been expanded to 75,000 seating (get rid of the damn aluminum seating and put in some actual chairs for the fans to sit in).

Otherwise, forget the football team and eliminate the 170 scholarships (both Mens and Womens Athletics Dept.). Become another Wichita State institution take all of the basketball money and enjoy it as much as possible.

Tait, I know that you are the beat writer for KU Athletics, but this is getting serious. And, BGL is NOT serious about what is transpiring in College Athletics. Evidently, the $$$$$$$$$$$$ Alumni who donate all of their $$$$$$$$$$$$ to Kansas Athletics don't give a Rats A$$ either. Otherwise, the Football Stadium would've been upgraded a long time ago.

lama 8 years, 5 months ago

You obviously haven't seen Adolph's Saturday Column for the last 20 years. Don't start now -- it's not worth reading.

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 5 months ago

BGL has other issues to deal with at the macro level before tending to the stadium.

lama 8 years, 5 months ago

75,000 seats so KU could fill one-third of them? Seriously, how many people were there in the second half? I'd say put up a consistent winner, then expand the stadium. Even the students don't go right now.

cg1029 8 years, 5 months ago

WTF would a new stadium accomplish? We can't fill Memorial to watch the Abortion that is KU Football... Save the money on a stadium use it to buy out Gill and get a coach who has proven he can win...

lama 8 years, 5 months ago

Memorial Stadium in Lincoln is hard to get to...they have no problems. Put a good product on the field, people will come. They did under Mangino while he was winning.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

KU at Okla. St. - We could put up 25 but they put up more then 40. L Oklahoma at KU- Depends on which OU we play, with the way OU is playing so far, we can keep the score withing 28. L
KSU at KU - Both teams are very deceptive. A winnable game, but the way KSU is playing, I doubt we pull it off. KU at Texas_ UPSET ALERT. Like us, UT is young. It could be a ugly game. A winnable game.
KU at ISU - Winnable, ISU has caught fire however. It will be a close game.
Baylor at KU - We can hang 30 on their d, but they can hang 50 on anyone they want. Positive RGIII has thrown a pick.
KU at Texas A&M - With Our run defense so far, forget about it. Missouri at KU- Winnable, Mitchell is not a great decision maker. He is young so there is room for improvement. Because it is a rivalry, it will be a close game (I hope).

Even if Mangino or Tubby was our coach, with this schedule, they probably couldn't fare better then 5-7. If we win 5, it would be a very positive look for us going into next year.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

NIU is hardly a cupcake. And we beat McNeese pretty soundly. I watch close to every game, and guess what? We are not the only team with problems.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 5 months ago

Are you really trying to convince us that we could be a five win team after the performances we have had to date? TTU is probably the ninth best team in the Big XII and we played them at home.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Don't just read the last sentence. Read the breakdowns. Because a game is winnable does not mean we will win the game.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 5 months ago

A few notes: 30+ points should be enough to win the game, so our offense is good enough. I believe our defense is can officially be named the worst in D-1 Football.

Second Half Scores for the Season MSU-21-21 NIU-24-21 GT-7-42 TTU-7-21

My concern has always been in-game and halftime adjustments. I always believe you can tell how good a coach is by these adjustments.

HCTG 5-11 now as the Head Coach.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 5 months ago

That when TT was available we should have hired him over HCTG. What is sad is I believe that HCTG makes considerably more than TT does at TTU and his is a 5 year contract.

I was going to say that I hope that HCTG would get a clue and walk away, but I've determined he is clueless, can't blame him for taking the $10MM deal.

Sheahon Zenger would impress me if he could do two things (I would make him King) 1) Negotiate TG out of his contract 2) Get KU into the Big Ten, PAC 10 or ACC.

Is it too early to be on the hire Jim Tressel Band Wagon. I hear he has ties to the Big Ten.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 5 months ago

Tech played horrible today. Did ya'll see how many penalties today tech had? If we hired tubby, we would not be in a better situation. Tech has far more talent then us. They have a recruiting advantage because they are a major school in Texas. Our players gave up the game today. The scheme was there, players missed out.

lama 8 years, 5 months ago

The facilities are in place. Players, coaches, fan support -- not so much.

randydaytona 8 years, 5 months ago

Could the problem be those North Carolina uniforms??

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 5 months ago

At least the schedule opens up for us over the next couple of weeks. Osu after a bye in Stillwater should be no sweat!

kufanman88 8 years, 5 months ago

Tubberville continues to prove me right and Lew Perkins wrong. KU should have taken Tubberville's offer and hired him as coach. Gill will be on his way out shortly after a disastrous season...

cg1029 8 years, 5 months ago

This game was no where near as close as the scoreboard showed... Tech out scored KU 45-14 after not showing up in the first quarter... Down 20-0 and Tubby out coached Gill the Last 3 Quarters... Actually for lack of a penalty on the double pass TD Tubby out coached Gill the entire game. If Tech is one the Board at 14-7 on that play the score is probably worse.

Cora Smith 8 years, 5 months ago

You people just don't understand! Gills' contract is guaranteed for $10 million for 5 years. A lot of big givers are having hard times just like the rest of us(see Dana Anderson). Gill gets at least one more year and by then the Big 12 (or whatever it is) may not exist and we may be on the street corner trying to thumb a ride.

Michael Maris 8 years, 5 months ago

In order for KU to hire a new coach in the future, that will mean that KU Administration has to show that KU is COMMITTED to their Football Program.

That means Improving the damn FOOTBALL FACILITIES (NOT THE ALLEN FIELD HOUSE). It is going to take more money than it took to hire Turner Gill to get a FOOTBALL COACH like Ahperse, Mangino????? and the rest of us truely desire.

Otherwise, KU will be hiring more coaches like Terry Allen and we all know what that got KU.

If KU ends up in some rinky dink conference due to the fact that the BOR is comprised of people from Emporia State, Pitt State, Fort Hays State, etc.......

Then, KU will get what the hell it deserves. I've been supporting this team since the late 70's (when I was a young kid growing up in southwest Kansas).

BGL, BOR, Alumni (with the funds), you all better wake the hell up. Cause, you all are about to get left out. Matt Tait won't be writing for the Journal-World. He will be seeking bigger and better papers to write for. Keegan has already had his chance, that is why he is at the Journal-World.

Thank God my wife is from Tennessee, I can at least root for the Volunteers (who play in a Real Football Conference and don't have to worry about what Conference they will be in).

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 5 months ago

The Vols are losers! Still living off of Peyton's days!

Clarence Haynes 8 years, 5 months ago

"How come Allen Fieldhouse continues to rake in the money to get improved (year after year after year). Memorial Stadium doesn't even get a damn blink. Yeah, the administration took some money from a Alumni to build new locker rooms and coaching offices, etc....... But, Memorial Stadium needs to be addressed."

Money was invested in the program and a combination of the economy, Magino's "problems", and Ticket fraud have placed further investment on hold.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 5 months ago

I believe at $2MM/Year it puts HCTG as one of the highest paid coaches in Division I. To my understanding it is a Top 25 salary if not Top 10.

I realize that OU, UT, LSU, and Bama all pay more, but look around the Salary we are paying is up there for a less than spectacular MAC coach.

We had a lot of options...TT for example is making less by going to TTU, Fulmer would have been an option, I think Venables from OU would have been awesome. I'm not sure if we could have gotten the DC off of Texas, but Florida did.

I'm a fan of going after Jim Tressel...that would show we are serious.