Kansas defeats Fort Hays State, 101-52

• 7 p.m., Nov. 8, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: Thomas Robinson scores 22 in KU's 101-52 exhibition victory over Fort Hays State

Thomas Robinson posted 22 points and 12 rebounds, leading the Kansas men's basketball team to a 101-52 exhibition victory over Pittsburg State on Tuesday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

Robinson — who returned to the lineup after suffering a knee injury in an October practice — added five assists, four blocks and a steal with just two turnovers in his 28 minutes.

Naadir Tharpe contributed 19 points on 7-for-9 shooting with seven assists, five steals and just two turnovers.

Conner Teahan added 14 points on 5-for-5 shooting, while Justin Wesley (12) and Travis Releford (11) both notched double-figure scoring.

KU will open up the regular season against Towson with a 7 p.m. game Friday at Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

Tony Bandle 2 years, 5 months ago

Please note that our junior class [TRob, Elijah, Jeff, Travis amd Kevin] was rated the 2nd best Junior class in America,

Add Tyshawn and Conner from above and Justin and Naadir from below and, presto, Coach Bill has his nine man rotation.

Next season you trade out Tyshawn, Conner and TRob for BenMac, Jamari, Perry, Zach plus who knows who else and the Big Crimson and Blue Wheel keeps a'turnin'

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 5 months ago

May not have been the plan but could things have worked out better for Tharpe and Self, getting these minutes?

phogphan2000 2 years, 5 months ago

I just hope Releford quickly gets to the point where he's relaxed and handling the ball better. Too eager to get rid of it with a quick and sometimes sloppy pass and just not handling it well when he does put it on the floor. I think just from the defensive stand point he's gonna have a spot in the starting lineup (even with Teahan shooting like an absolute maniac) but hopefully he picks things up on the offensive end too. I think Tharpe and Teahan are going to be great punches to throw at people coming off the bench and Wesley had a very strong performance tonight. I agree with the earlier comment, I was worried with all the academic issues about depth, now I feel like if we can avoid the injury bug (knock on wood) we'll be fine with the depth we have as Tharpe, Wesley and Teahan are all surprising me to the upside. Now the concern is we don't yet know what TT and EJ look like on the floor and can TRob and Withey play hard, for a lot of minutes without fouling. Not having seen TT and EJ I still have high hopes for our starting 5 being able to match anyone's, but not as much hope as I had before these exhibition games. Great, quick moves by TRob though, showed some good scoring touch tonight.

mikehawk 2 years, 5 months ago

We will know one week from now just where this team is and how far they will need to go. This game is fool's gold. Fun for fans and players, but it is sober up and learn who you really are during the next week. Should be interesting to watch coach bring this team along over the course of the year. If they will listen, he will teach them.

JayhawkerStL 2 years, 5 months ago

How did Withey do? I think he is the key to any consistent success for the team. They are awfully shallow along the front line if he doesn't pan out.

cool_beans 2 years, 5 months ago

J. Withey first round draft pick by the end of the year. you heard it here first

IrishDaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

WOW, lets do Div II all year !

Olathekstater 2 years, 5 months ago

KU looked impressive tonight but T Rob won't be able to flow like he did tonight against tougher competition.. he is still a little rough with the down low game, in my opinion

JayDocMD 2 years, 5 months ago

Someone let TRob know he just got hosed over on ESPN.com's pre-season All-American rosters. He didn't make 1st or 2nd team. Jay Bilas, Eamonn Brennan, Doug Gottlieb, Andy Katz, Joe Lunardi, Dana O'Neil and Dick Vitale all left you off both their 1st and 2nd teams.

Go ahead and play with a chip big fella.

Andrew Moore 2 years, 5 months ago

Naadir and Teahan are going to be battling for the 6th man spot. Shooting or handling? In essence, Naadir showed us everything offensively. He just needs to improve the entry pass and then of course his defense. I'm confident that with Self's coaching, Naadir will be a special, special player for us.

I'm very excited for this season. I thought we'd have a depth issue, but it just seems to me that we will have a trimmed rotation earlier in the season than usual. We usually settle on an 8 man team, but don't really settle until conference play. This year, the rotation may be set at the jump. With Tyshawn, Elijah, Travis, Thomas and Jeff all starting. The bench looks like Naadir, Connor and Wesley. Young in for foul trouble.

I like this team a lot. However, we do have a tough schedule and will be building team chemistry for a couple weeks.

KANSTUCKY 2 years, 5 months ago

Could Conner maybe work on his efficiency? 5 for 5? Keep it up shooters.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 5 months ago

I think Naadir ought to be in the starting lineup on a permanent basis after what he showed tonight.

Steve Kubler 2 years, 5 months ago

Naadir showed another gear tonight, I am impressed! So much for not being a scorer he has every thing he needs to be one special point guard. I think the team will be in good hands hopefully for the next 4 years.

Bill Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Now that's more like it, 100+ points per game!

JayDocMD 2 years, 5 months ago

Perfect situation for Nadir to learn behind TT this year with no pressure before taking over next year.