Missouri defeats Kansas, 24-10

• 2:30 p.m., Nov. 26, 2011
  • Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, MO

FINAL: Missouri dominates second half in 24-10 victory over KU

Missouri scored 21 unanswered points in the second half, rallying to take a 24-10 victory over Kansas on Saturday night in the season finale at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

KU led 10-3 at halftime, helped by three first-half interceptions of MU quarterback James Franklin. Bradley McDougald had KU's biggest play, a 57-yard interception return for touchdown with 10:36 left in the second quarter.

The Jayhawks — as has been a theme most of the season — collapsed in the third quarter. Following a bad punt snap by Tanner Gibas, MU took advantage of a short field with a Kendial Lawrence four-yard TD run.

Wes Kemp added a 25-yard TD pass with 5:34 left in the third quarter, then Marcus Lucas contributed a 53-yard TD reception on the first play of the fourth quarter.

KU once again struggled offensively, as through three quarters, the Jayhawks had 41 plays for just 79 yards. The Jayhawks finished with 137 total yards.

Quarterback Jordan Webb finished 9-for-20 for 60 yards with two interceptions. No KU player rushed for more than 35 yards.

Greg Brown and Tyler Patmon also had interceptions for the Jayhawks.

KU (2-10) finished its season with 10 consecutive losses.

KU coach Turner Gill postgame press conference audio

Comments

Dan Harris 8 years, 2 months ago

How about Randy Dreilling from Hutch? He just won his 7th title in the last 9 years!

Mike Gammill 8 years, 2 months ago

Here's a thought:

Give the job to Chuck Long. He knows offense, and he knows people to hire in the other areas of the game. What does KU Nation think?

Dan Harris 8 years, 2 months ago

I think you have had more to drink then me! Have you watched their(or lack of) offense this year!

Larry 8 years, 2 months ago

Seriously? Chuck Third and Long has this nickname for a reason.

texashawk10 8 years, 2 months ago

Chuck Long is a worse head coach than TG. Go check out his coaching record at San Diego St.

Bellator 8 years, 2 months ago

jhawkdan42 as someone very familiar with the Hutch program and Coach Dreilling I love your idea but if the Kansas administration couldn't handle the old school "meanness" of Mangino then Dreilling would never make it. I love Dreilling though, he is a great coach and has built a fantastic program.

Chris Bailey 8 years, 2 months ago

I went to the state finals game and Hutch won in what would have been convincing fashion had Turner not gone done with an injury. But Dreiling coaching at the college level I don't see it. No way a head high school coach moves from there to a D1 schools head job. I don't see Dreiling's offense working well at the D1 level either. Hey I love watching Salthawk football but no way KU hires another unproven coach. Winning state championships in Kansas is no comparison to winning in a BCS conference. I'm assuming you guys are just saying anyone other than Gill and Dreiling would be better. Congrats to the Hawks! The salty ones! The Jayhawks lose another heartbreaker and seal Gills fate as head man at Kansas.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Nah, Gruden as D-Coordinator. Ditka as head coach.

Brandon Pope 8 years, 2 months ago

So long Turner Gill. Best of luck in whatever you do in the future. Now please, go away.

Brennan Keller 8 years, 2 months ago

Goodbye Gill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 2 months ago

When is the press conference LJW? Hoping for an announcement soon.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

gonna have to do way...way... better to even be competitive where you are going.

mispay4ku 8 years, 2 months ago

And struggled doing it. Good luck in the SEC. :/

Brandon Pope 8 years, 2 months ago

And still, at the end of the day, you are a Mizzou fan... so we win.

Hank Cross 8 years, 2 months ago

You're a borderline good C-USA team, if you win 2 games in the SEC, you'll be lucky.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

You struggled against one of the worst teams in the FBS. Enjoy the SEC.....

Jabberhawky 8 years, 2 months ago

You made your point. There was no need to bring his sister into this.

Dan Harris 8 years, 2 months ago

congrats on your win. Have fun in the SEC!

Mike Gammill 8 years, 2 months ago

Enjoy it. You'll be toast next year in the SEC. They took football very seriously, and with a redneck attitude to boot.

Aaron Carpenter 8 years, 2 months ago

Really? And at what point did you check into the game? You score a td? Your a piece of sh1t just like the rest of the mizzoushbags. Good luck getting your ass beat in the SEC, dumbass.

Micky Baker 8 years, 2 months ago

well, I hate to say it, but this was the worst season I have ever watched. This is the worst coaching job I've ever seen. This is the most incompetent coaching staff that has ever existed.

sevenyearhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Today was the second time that I've watched a Turner coached squad in person ...

I have seen HIGH SCHOOLS with more innovative play calling than that garbage!!!

Hank Cross 8 years, 2 months ago

If Gill is really an honorable person - he'll offer his resignation. If he demands the full value of his contract, he's a thief.

Kyle Sybesma 8 years, 2 months ago

Why hasn't there been an announcement yet? This is taking too long.

Mulder07 8 years, 2 months ago

Another year of infamy for KU football. Please dont let Gil get on the team bus. Make him pay for a taxi to get back to Lawrence.

Brandon Pope 8 years, 2 months ago

And still, at the end of the day, you are a Mizzou fan... so we win.

Jordan Brown 8 years, 2 months ago

We win because our team should only get better, but your missouri team will hardly win any SEC games.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

That was a horrible game.... how drunk on moonshine are you?

Hank Cross 8 years, 2 months ago

You'll beat Vandy, and Vandy, and uh... did I say Vandy?

142466 8 years, 2 months ago

Vandy, home & away. Kentucky, only in Columbia. But what does that say about KU's FB standing?

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Dude, seriously, the only thing worse than your quarterback is our quarterback. Enjoy the SEC.....

Pitthawk34 8 years, 2 months ago

If Gill is not fired by Monday the Zenger should be next along with Bonnie and all other coaches that have been here over the last 5 years and use KU as a cover and a money pit with losing records. Accountability is what this university has lacked in last 2 decades.

Robert Brown 8 years, 2 months ago

LOL. I hate the Trajan font. Nothing bold about it.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Um... I really don't think he was making an argument. Humor meter in the shop?

Jordan Gumm 8 years, 2 months ago

McDougald had as many yards on that pick 6 as Webb had passing for the entire game.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Turner Gill, 1-16 for his Kansas career against the Big 12. Impressive!

142466 8 years, 2 months ago

Let's put Gill's contribution to KU FB in historical perspective. In only two years he contributed more to KU's downward slide to the .500 all-time FB mark than most all prior coaches who lasted many more years in Lawrence.

Kenny Terry 8 years, 2 months ago

This trainwreck is done for another year. Please Zenger for the sake of this program get rid of coach Gill. I don't think I can stomach another season with this coach

JhawkalumJB 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm thinking that Gill is gone, but does anyone out there think he'll be back next year?

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Ahperse's little birdie does. You know, the one he sees after a night out with Pinkel.

JhawkalumJB 8 years, 2 months ago

Pinkel?? Who?? Oh you mean Drinkel? OK got it.

Jabberhawky 8 years, 2 months ago

Honestly, I'm not certain he'll be gone. It's going to cost a lot of money to buy him out -- and even more to replace him with someone decent (i.e. a proven coach).

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

It will cost even more long term with the loss in athletic donations and the inability to sell tickets to games. It's a business decision as much as a football one. Turner is 100% done.

Armen Kurdian 8 years, 2 months ago

That's the only reason for keeping him on, the massive cost to buy him out. Contracts should be based on performance. We can't afford to fire him, I'm afraid. Not with $58M in debt for the athletic dept. We might be stuck in the cellar for another year or two.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Again, the only way to remedy that debt is to sell tickets and get donations. Neither will happen with Gill as the coach. A change HAS to happen in order to not sink the Athletic Department further. I will say this again and apologize for repeating myself: It will cost MORE long term to keep Gill.

The fans are done with him. The decision has already been made by the dollar bill regardless of whether or not Zinger wants him gone (and I'd have to guess he's probably not to keen on the idea of keeping him either).

And if that's not enough, the fanbase will have Zinger's head on a platter if he stays....

Jabberhawky 8 years, 2 months ago

Yes, I hope you're right. But this is KU. The administration is cheap and rather less than competent. They lack (real) vision and tend to think in the short term.

It may be 90% but it's not 100%.

Armen Kurdian 8 years, 2 months ago

Would probably have to look at annual revenue vs. cost to buy out the contract, vs. what would likely be an increased salary package for a new coach. If Gill only has a year left, I still think it's better to just let things go until then. Lots of factors would play into this. If I were a betting man, though, I'm guessing they are going to leave him in place.

squawkhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

It is true but why is Leach laughing his a$$ off?

Larry 8 years, 2 months ago

Six more season tickets purchased if they hire Leach. Can't imagine how many others will return to purchasing season tics as well.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 2 months ago

Well one thing is for sure, there has not been any improvement over the season...we were totally outcoached throughout the season.

Kenny Terry 8 years, 2 months ago

Zengers evaluation should not take long

gottatake 8 years, 2 months ago

We have nominal talent on offense that should be able to grind out first downs throughout an important game like this. The big "off season question" that will nag multitudes is -- why was our offense so inept throughout the year? Sure, Jordan Webb is at best a Junior College QB with a great self image, but we had some stallions at running back and a decent line! Creative play calling was severely lacking. Long came up short; therefore Gill never got drenched. This finish just shot Bactine straight up the already open wound. BTW, why call a precious time out when you know you need to go for it on 4th and 8 inches?! Inept preparation for inevitable eventualities like that!

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Dude, that was like a sonnet. Nice post.

texashawk10 8 years, 2 months ago

Why was that play not a QB sneak and why was KU in the shotgun for that play? 4tg and less than a yard should be a QB sneak everytime and if the OLine can't get it, then they didn't deserve it.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

Both teams looked so bad... I thought my eyes were going to bleed.

Jake Waddle 8 years, 2 months ago

Looking on the positive side of things... we only lose 5 starters (not counting TE's that we never throw to anyway anymore) Hatch, Dorsey, Johnson, Johnson, Barfield. D-Line needs to be shaped up big time for next year...

brewmaster 8 years, 2 months ago

The last game of the season, yet this division-I team still appeared to be confused and disorganized. They still lacked a basic grasp of the fundamental mechanics, strategy and rules of the game. Wow, there are high school and Jr. high teams that are better prepared and rehearsed than KU.

Jeffery Barrett 8 years, 2 months ago

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one on here who Leach IS a nutjob and not worth a couple of mediocre seasons before he goes off the deep end.

JhawkalumJB 8 years, 2 months ago

Hatch and Steven J. are the only true losses

JhawkalumJB 8 years, 2 months ago

I hope our team sucks next year too...... like a "LEACH"!!!!!!

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

thats not saying much playing KU.... you're funny.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

Although using any positive adjectives to describe your team's performance today is laughable.

JhawkalumJB 8 years, 2 months ago

No argument here. Not saying much bootlegger, are you really bragging about beating us?

If I was classless then I would look forward to smack talking on your boards when your getting rolled week after week in the SEC next year. Nah, I got better things to do.... get a life bro.

moe19 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't you have some 'shine to make for your coach? JUMBO

justajoe 8 years, 2 months ago

Mizzou grammar at its finest. Are you sure four exclamation marks are enough?

ZDKC 8 years, 2 months ago

Among other scores:

Boone County Sheriff's Dept - 1 Gary Pinkel - 0

Kyle Sybesma 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm going to sit here and hit refresh all night until I see the headlines "GILL IS FIRED!!!!!!!!"

manginodrh00lz 8 years, 2 months ago

It's official... I just heard, Turner will receive another year...

Kyle Sybesma 8 years, 2 months ago

You know nothing. And get rid of your Tulane logo.

manginodrh00lz 8 years, 2 months ago

I know more than you and you need to get a logo

Dan Harris 8 years, 2 months ago

There it is ! ESPN is reporting that Gill has just been fired!!!!! YESSSSSS!!!!!

Damn it! It was the scotch talking to me again!

Dan Harris 8 years, 2 months ago

Only thing that made the game bearable. Unfortunately, I have to get up in the attic for all the Christmas decorations now. Hope I don't fall throught the ceiling!

HawkSchooner 8 years, 2 months ago

I think something stronger in order. Long Island Teas, perhaps. And lots of them.

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

I suggest my creation, the Long Island Margarita. Essentially a Long Island Ice Tea, except you use margarita mix instead of sweet and sour.

Only 4 times the calories!!

texashawk10 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't tease, it's not nice to do that to everyone.

Kenny Terry 8 years, 2 months ago

I will be nervously checking this site for the next few days. If a statement is not made by monday I will get the feeling that Zenger is going to bring Gill back. I hope that does not happen. Next year when TCU and possibly West Virginia come in its not going to be any better in conference play with this poor excuse for a head coach

KJRFC 8 years, 2 months ago

My New Year's Wish for Fizzou is, after two years in the SEC, they have the same conference record that we do under Gill. Mizzou-Arkansas annual game, The Trailer-Trash Bowl, any other ideas? I can't wait for the Tiggers to come down to Columbia, SC and have Spurrier unleash Lattimore and Co. on them. FIRE GILL!!! Anyone is better. GO GAMECOCKS!!! Beat those hick-farmboys from Clemson tonight! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!

manginodrh00lz 8 years, 2 months ago

OK hillbilly...enough moonshine...you're rambling and incoherent. Abe Lincoln should have turned you over to Cuba

LAJayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Think it might be time to go play Kansas in Dynasty mode in the old NCAA Football 2000 on original playstation. Ah, escapism. Is there anything you can't make better?

squawkhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm so done ith KU football. Bring on the WBB team!

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm trying to be as objective as possible, but I just don't see any reason to think Mizzou could be successful in the SEC, even in the East.

No more recruits from Texas, no more games against ISU, KU and the other basement dwellers. Oh, and your athletic department literally has half the budget of a school like Florida. Sure Pinkel is a good coach, but that's not going to cut the mustard in the SEC.

Seriously, is there any reason to think they'll do well?

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

Dont you have like... friends to be celebrating with? lmao

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

yea... I'll take the lack of a response as "hell no, I don't."

Dan Harris 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, when you win something important,really anything, you can puff your chest out all you want until that day though just keep puffing on that meth pipe!

moe19 8 years, 2 months ago

You clean up fast! What position do you play?

HawkSchooner 8 years, 2 months ago

Gill made roughly $1.7 million for his 10 losses this season, $300k for his wins. Good work, if you can get it.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 2 months ago

turner has 1 more win than millions of dollars he has received from the university in two years.

Jayhawk838 8 years, 2 months ago

Why didn't he try playing Blake Jablonski this yr? Another thing is the lack of creativity on the last play. Last play of the season and they throw a go route. WTF!!!!

temjay 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't forget he was only nine seconds away from going 1-11 this season.

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 2 months ago

4 teams away from putting 100 points up on us if they wouldn't off took their foot off the pedal.

kupride4u 8 years, 2 months ago

3-9, but seriously is that anything better than 2-10 with the way we lost those other 9?

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 2 months ago

And can we get the Newell Post to be 24/7 until any kind of announcement is made? Would be nice if jesse updated us on if Turner gets on the team bus, or if moving trucks are in turner's driveway, or a pirate ship is parked outside the football offices.

Tomasu2012 8 years, 2 months ago

Any assistants you guys would like to see the new coach keep? I think Beaty and Mitchell are quality, but no others really come to mind.

lama 8 years, 2 months ago

We'll enjoy the 20-point clowning at the Plaige in a couple of months, too. Mizzou is 4-8 in the SEC next season.

MrPilot 8 years, 2 months ago

And then all of the MU players got on the bus, and remembered that tomorrow they will still be members of a mediocre football team at a third tier university, and the entire bus ride home was spent in silence and tears.

JhawkalumJB 8 years, 2 months ago

Keep this in mind blegger,

Mizzwho didn't even cover the spread. You played poorly against a terrible team. You were supposed to win by +20. If I'd have bet on KU with the points I'd have won!

HawkSchooner 8 years, 2 months ago

Congrats mizzou guy; you managed to meet expectations and beat a team you that most others in this league have crushed. Off you go into the swamp now - best of luck.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

You guys looked awful lol.... wouldn't have beaten a Vandy with that game.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

Let me point out a few facts here, you can read it after you sober up from your bathtub moonshine blackout.

1. That wasnt close to "taking care of business". Taking care of buisiness would have been killing the hawks like you should have, and actually impressing the bowl selection group with how you won.
  2. That wasn't close to a "big win". You we're heavily favored with better athletes and still couldn't cover the generous spread. That's like saying every time we beat MU in hoops its a "big win"... no, its business as usual.
  3. Your QB isn't going to improve much... 3 picks against KU? Pathetic. That's like half of our total for the year.
  4. Mizzou FB was a huge disappointment this year, and there's no way to say otherwise after being pre-season ranked #15 and scraping a win out against the Jayhawks, who got beat by 50+ points by the actually talented teams.
  5. You have no reason to possibly think you are going to compete next year after barely beating KU, TTU and losing to Baylor/ ASU.
  6. You've proven multiple times in your posts you know less about football than Turner Gill... boom, roasted.

Benjamin Piehler 8 years, 2 months ago

I have no idea how this got posted down here and not where I replied to, but oh well.

lama 8 years, 2 months ago

Whoever the coach is, please find a quarterback next year. No more Jordan Webb.

bladejhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

Please bring in Leach....he can recruit Texas, and his teams are a blast to watch...unlike this bunch! No more Jordan Webb!

Pitthawk34 8 years, 2 months ago

I dont think it will be leach, but if it is it will take some time to get some players to run that offense. With the QB and receivers we have it would be a big joke. It is Leach we had better be a lot more patient then we were with Gill. Of course Leach is proven.

LngTimeFan 8 years, 2 months ago

I'd rather have a drunk Pinkel than an incompetent Gill any day. It's not about being a nice guy, it's about being competent and winning. Gill is clueless.

op43 8 years, 2 months ago

Let's see. Two years ago a lot of people couldn't wait to get rid of Mangino (lost 7 in a row). Maybe he did slap some kids but I'd bet a house payment he would have not had the seasons we endured the past two years. I never thought we could get worse than the Terry Allen years but we did. There is plenty of blame on the Chancellor and Lew Perkins. Perkins will go down in time as the worst thing to have happen to KU. I don't think the Chancellor or the AD have the courage to remove Gill. To afraid of special interests groups. Remember, KU is the Berkley of the Midwest

Chris Bailey 8 years, 2 months ago

I keep hitting the refresh button thinking the Gill firing will pop up any min! Come SZ! Fire his ARS!

irvan moore 8 years, 2 months ago

what happened to the kid from colorado who was the hotshot quarterback? tg said he was still on the team earlier in the yearand i don't think tg would lie to us would he? does anybody know the story?

Chris Bailey 8 years, 2 months ago

Brock Burglund! He redshirted but no idea if he's playing next year!

babyjay1 8 years, 2 months ago

Where's the next article?? Waiting... Waiting.... Pleeeasse...

jayhawkinATL 8 years, 2 months ago

Thank God that's (the season) is over!!!!! Gill isn't going anywhere. He needs more than 2 years!!!

oggerr 8 years, 2 months ago

If we don't perform any better next year, we should just scrap the football program. Thanks Mr. Gill for the most embarassing season ever! Pressure is on Mr. Zenger. We have to turn things around quickly! We were not even close to being competitive in the Big12.

BillSelf4Prez 8 years, 2 months ago

Just some examples of the great Misery fans. I am only 15 and i was walking through the parking lot today with my dad to get into the game and Misery fans were getting in my face welling SEC, $#@& KU, Your Basketball team has two losses, and many other things. It just proves how classless and worthless Misery fans are. Not to mention they are uneducated rednecks who all have meth labs. But on the game it was awful. Our defense actually played pretty good. Our offense though was a different story. Webb is awful. If he is our starter the next two year we our doomed. He gets happy feet and cannot throw the ball downfield. We need to start Mathews i think is his name he is #12. He can run the ball and has a decent arm(i think). But our offense is so predictable. Run up the middle,swing pass to the halfback, and a run east or west. It is awful. I'm sorry but Gill, Long, and the rest of that staff need to go.

Brian Conrad 8 years, 2 months ago

Ole Mizzou will get paid back... recruits leaving, no recruiting set up to get players / coach contacts in the SEC fan high schools. when they win under 4 games a year. Pinkel will leave for greener pastures. Arkansas will beat up on Mizzou. Tennesee will be back.. way more tradition than Mizzou. Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Ole Miss, South Carolina... just love the fact MU will Never compete for a title ever again... and love the fact they have never tasted oranges.. never been to a final four ... and most are married to sisters.. the worst day in Kansas with Turner Gill is still way better than breakfast with your meth using sister..

beaujackson 8 years, 2 months ago

You'll all feel better if you don't buy tickets - or watch KU FB.

Jeff Kilgore 8 years, 2 months ago

Zenger has his first big boy job. Fire Turner Gill. This season has been jaw-dropping. No excuses. Fair? Unfair? What will be most unfair is if KU fans have to watch another season like this one, and if Gill is back, I can't see how we won't. Besides, he'll leave with a dump truck full of money for a 1-16 league record. Even if KU had won today, it wouldn't erase the memories.

Mr. Zenger, have you forgotten this classic quote from OSU's Gundy--I'll paraphrase here, when explaining a coaching decision, "I didn't know how many touchdowns we had and kind of lost track." That was in the first half!!!!

Gill is a class individual, and he hasn't had much to work with, but this season's defensive meltdown is historic, and with that comes consequences.

Hire Mike Leach, Mr. Z, and you'll be beloved here at old KU. By October next year, we'll be better than we have been since Gill took the helm. It's not even a difficult decision, if the buyout can be done. By 2014, we'll have a team to root for, and if Leach wants back in Div I football, he won't be hired by a team with a winning record. I, for one, think he's a great guy as well.

Ethan Berger 8 years, 2 months ago

With some of yalls crazy coaching request, I have decided to make my own also

Head Coach-Jesus Off Cord- Bill Walsh Def Cord- Vince Lombardi

Brian Conrad 8 years, 2 months ago

worst coach ever. FIRE GILL MONDAY AM!!! IF you have ANY REAL MAN in you Gill , do not demand / steal one more dollar from KU .