Texas A&M defeats Kansas, 61-7

• 11 a.m., Nov. 19, 2011
  • Kyle Field, College Station, TX

FINAL: Texas A&M stomps KU, 61-7

Texas A&M had six touchdown drives in the first half — with each of those drives lasting less than 2 minutes, 3 seconds — in a 61-7 demolishing of Kansas on Saturday afternoon at Kyle Field in College Station.

The Aggies extended their lead to 61-0 at the end of the third quarter before emptying the bench.

KU's first half was one to forget. The Jayhawks had a snap over punter Ron Doherty's head for a safety and also a lost a fumble when a snap hit running back Tony Pierson, who was going in motion before the play.

The Jayhawks also surrendered a 72-yard punt return for TD to Dustin Harris in the second half.

A&M's Ryan Tannehill finished 21-for-26 passing for 280 yards and three touchdowns before getting taken out in the second half.

KU's Jordan Webb finished 19-for-27 for 133 yards passing with an interception.

The Jayhawks (2-9) will close the season with a 2:30 p.m. game on Nov. 26 against Missouri at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Mo.

KU coach Turner Gill postgame audio

Comments

Brian Haase 8 years, 3 months ago

the only thing surprising about that game is the fact that aTm didn't get to 80 points...

Geekinout 8 years, 3 months ago

Do your F-ing job Zenger or you will be next on the chopping block!

Theonlythingthatexceedsyourbad 8 years, 3 months ago

Agreed. Gill must not be allowed to coach against the drunk from the slave state next door.

TheShot122293 8 years, 3 months ago

What if we rename the stadium "Urban Meyer Stadium" first and THEN offer him a job with the highest salary in the NCAA? Ditto any other great coach. Fill in the blank. I don't care.

DXJhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

How far we have dropped from when we were the Fighting Manginos

Chris Bailey 8 years, 3 months ago

120th in the country in total scoring defense that was prior to this loss! I think we've distanced ourselves from #119! Oh and for the record we're giving up 45.5ppg!

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 3 months ago

I was actually still sober during that game. Time to dull the pain of another game. Let's go basketball, beat Georgetown!

sheahoRn 8 years, 3 months ago

I was not able to attend the football game today because I am in Hawaii with the basketball team. I have however spoke with Turner and he assures me that all this team needs to do is execute and get better. He also stressed a lot of positives in the game and how he liked the teams fight and that they never gave up. So with that being said Turner Gill will be returning as coach next season. Now I have to get back to whale hunting…errrr…watching, parasailing, and mai tais. Hopefully soon you will enjoy KU football as much as I am enjoying Hawaii. Aloha! SZ

Dan Harris 8 years, 3 months ago

Let me be the first person to say that it is time that we FIRE GILL!! Oh, I guess I wasn't the first to suggest that! Damn-it!

Alex Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

Let's get Jim Tressel!

You call me a dreamer.

Alex Berger 8 years, 3 months ago

If Calipari and Butch Davis are still in college sports, then Tressel and his sins (knowing his athletes sold OSU stuff for money?) will get nothing.

Jeff Coffman 8 years, 3 months ago

Isn't Turner Gill enough to show the case that we need a coach?

Scott Wooten 8 years, 3 months ago

This was so sad to watch.

PLEASE FIRE GILL NOW!!

ahpersecoachingexperience 8 years, 3 months ago

At this point I don't even know if buffalo would rehire gill.

Matt Gauntt 8 years, 3 months ago

Buffalo has more wins that we do now. They're 3-8

Chris Bailey 8 years, 3 months ago

Maybe they'd take him if he came back with the 3 years remaining on his KU contract so they owe him nothing!

ksjayhawk74 8 years, 3 months ago

ahpersecoachingexperience > Turner Gill

Robert Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

I have a suspicion that we will hear that this is a very young team and that the current coaching staff needs at least another year. There is no obvious candidate to take over. OC and DCs from successful programs do not necessarily make good head coaches. And I think we are limited in how big of a compensation package we can offer.

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 3 months ago

I wish he would resign to take the burden off of us so we can move on.

Brad Avery 8 years, 3 months ago

Mike Leach is just hangin' around his house waiting for his next contract.

Bee Bee 8 years, 3 months ago

I want a coaching job at KU. You can be a complete failure at your job and still haul home tons of cash.$$$$ you gotta love it!!!

Just awful!

squawkhawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I honestly believe that Pittsburgh State or Emporia State would beat this team this year. Horrible only begins to describe the state of KU football. The only positive thing I can scrape up is that I hope they have bottomed out and can only get better from here.

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

I disagree about Pitt State & Emporia. There's too big of a difference in the talent level between NAIA and the lower NCAA divisions vs. any NCAA Div 1 school.

Emporia, especially, would have no chance. The teachers' college has virtually no experiece playing on a big stage like Memorial Stadium in Lawrence. The Hornets might lead at the half but in the second half would be easily rattled by the contant stream of folks on thesouth hill gathering their picnic baskets and flashing a universally recognized derisive gesture with one of their 10 appendages on their hands. The Hornets coach would, quite rightly, become alarmed. At which team are the picnicers gesturing? Due to safety concerns, the Teachers' coach would order his players off the field, thereby forfeiting.

I do think that an assortment of former WSU footballers could beat the Jayhawks. Especially if WSU were to impose strict weight limits on linesmen players and could find enough former linesmen players under the weight limit. If a shortage of WSU linemens were to force several Shockers to play offense and defense, then I would give the nod to KU. But don't wager any money on it.

Just my opinion.

Jackalope7 8 years, 3 months ago

I'm a graduate of Emporia State and I went to many Football Games...Emporia would stand a chance against this KU Football team. Very sad about the state of our beloved Jayhawk team

mahkmood 8 years, 3 months ago

Please bring back Mangino. He was Lew'd-over, and so was our football program. I know there are a lot of Mangino-haters, but he's probably one of the few available, affordable, and willing(?) coaches out there that can turn this disaster around. Turner Gill has indeed taken KU football to the next level... down. Mangino! Mangino! Mangino!

Chayse Patrick 8 years, 3 months ago

I will gaurantee you that KU WILL NOT rehire MM......at least I hope not!!!!

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

If you look at Mangino's record and accomplishments at KU, a pretty good argument can be made that he's KU's all time best FB coach. And he may well occupy that lofty ranking for a long time into the future.

KU fired the fat man?

Orangedog87 8 years, 3 months ago

I didnt even know this game was being played. Thank goodness.

Hey, here is a good deal. I dont know a lot about coaching college football. However, I will take the KU job and only take $5 million instead of $10 million. See it is a great deal. I will give KU a 50% discount and I bet I can do a better job than TG.

And here is a bonus, I graduated from KU and wont take any bonus over my base pay.

RCJKU!

Aint it great the Perkins showed up in MSG to watch KUBB? I personally have not missed seeing him next to the KUBB bench on televised games as if he had something to do with the success of that program.

RCJKU!

Also, were Gray and Perkins plotting during the KUBB game to hire some highly paid incompetents to run things at KU?

RCJKU!

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

It wasn't played. It was all a dream. Such horrible somnambulist wanderings could be cause for alarm. I know a good shrink if you should ask me for a referral.

Mark Lindrud 8 years, 3 months ago

You think Northern Illinois is embarrassed being our only D1 win?

Ben Kliewer 8 years, 3 months ago

Not to worry folks. Little birds keep telling me that the Alumni have all but guaranteed that Gill is gone after the season is over.

Matt Gauntt 8 years, 3 months ago

Can we just forget the last game of the season? Seriously?

oldvet 8 years, 3 months ago

Just take a forfeit and save the pain...

Jackalope7 8 years, 3 months ago

Hate to say it, but i wish we would. The game would be closer...

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

As I mentioned in an above post, I do know a good shrink. I am confident he would recommend that you not think of or go near a football until next September.

overthemoon 8 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the stadium and training facilities can be turned over to the Quiddich team??

Chayse Patrick 8 years, 3 months ago

Granted we dont have to deal with what Penn State or Misery is dealing with but the fact is we don't have a competative football team and the entire coaching staff needs to be replaced ASAP. KU fans cannot go through much more of this. We are the joke of the entire football world.....

Orangedog87 8 years, 3 months ago

One more comment about the Perkins.

Chief, how come you dont attend KU football games?

Tony Bandle 8 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone watch Kansas football on TV anymore?....I know I don't.

Poster Poll: Which would you choose;

A] Kansas upsets Missouri in football, keeps them out of a bowl bid and wins the overall historical record but the BBall team gets beat in the first round of the NCAA's by Kentucky

or

B] Missouri scores 100 points humiliates us for the rest of history but the basketball team gets to the Final Four.

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Andrew Washington 8 years, 3 months ago

Assuming kentucky is a #1 seed this year, then that would put us as a 16 seed-i hope that never happens, but anyhow i would choose option b. Im already pretty numb about the football games and id rather our bb team to get a 14th final four and bill self for another COY award.

Lloyd Kinnison 8 years, 3 months ago

ESPN Kansas is last in all aspects of college football. Another record shut out today. The TUrner and his coaches do not have an answer for the other team. The answer is very clear. Turner and his coaches could not win against a average high school team. It is time for the Turner to resign.

Kenny Terry 8 years, 3 months ago

Turner Gills new insperational slogan... Helping other teams get bowl eligible

sportjunky 8 years, 3 months ago

Okay, now THAT is funny!! +1 for sure!

Brandon Pope 8 years, 3 months ago

At the end of the day, you are still a Mizzery fan... so we win.

shelleysue 8 years, 3 months ago

I don't care how badly we lost today. Its still a great day to be a Jayhawk. There arent enough wins or drunk driving coaches or booger eating quarterbacks that would make it a good day to be a Misery Tiger.

master16 8 years, 3 months ago

this is just ridiculous. losing is whatever, as long as you take something away from it, learn and improve. and if it's 7 or 14 point losses.. again, whatever. but these scores are absurd. getting blown outta the water by every team, it's almost like we're fielding a highschool team against the rest of the big 12.

AzNHawk 8 years, 3 months ago

I feel that is a true statement. We are a high school football team. About 80% of the roster is filled with freshmen straight out of high school. Only a few have been to be talented enough to make an immediate impact.

Kristen Downing 8 years, 3 months ago

Ok, back on the get rid of Turner Gill bandwagon. Throw in the Chiefs on Monday night football and a possible loss to Georgetown and I will be needing some meds.

Mike Payne 8 years, 3 months ago

Am I the only one who noticed that our only TD came when Gill took his headset off?

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 3 months ago

BGL isn't responsible for this mess. She didn't hire Lew and I'm quite sure I don't want her EVER making decisions about who our head coach is going to be. To me, that's square on the shoulders of the AD, and if the president of the university were to interfere, that's about as effective as the ownership regimes of Peter Angelos or Al Davis. And the decision to let him go or stay is from SZ. Other than rubber stamping the money involved, I think your anger or delight needs to be with SZ.

irvan moore 8 years, 3 months ago

i think if tg is terminated it will be after the missouri game in order to spare him the embarassment of being canned during the season. i think it is going to be difficult for bgl to pull the trigger and if she won't she needs to go too. if he goes following the missouri game we could still be in the running to hire a real coach, there are a few looking for a job and hopefully they would not insult them and offer less than what tg is receiving. hope i am wrong and they step up and fire him.

Mike Payne 8 years, 3 months ago

I thought November was a new month. It sure feels like October.

Mike Payne 8 years, 3 months ago

I say we hire someone outside of coaching but a true KU man.... Gail Sayers. He couldn't do worse.

Jackalope7 8 years, 3 months ago

Not to be a rude, but its Gale, not Gail. Just lettin a brother know.

Jackalope7 8 years, 3 months ago

Once again, we get destroyed. But hey, at least our coach is a super great guy...

Andy Tweedy 8 years, 3 months ago

A couple years ago, Nolan Cromwell was a hot name. He's not so old that he'd be on the doorstep of retirement, and he's a Jayhawk legend! I have a feeling our next coach will come from the ranks of assistants, but what I don't want is someone who is just using us for a better job. Glen Mason was awesome for a couple years, but then it was all about getting out of Lawrence to greener pastures.

Geekinout 8 years, 3 months ago

The KUAD ran him off for personal reasons.

Orangedog87 8 years, 3 months ago

Seriously, I will read the following before the first practice:

College Football Coaching for Dummies The Idiots Guide to Tackling Motivation Begins with a Name on a Shirt Efficient Clock Management Begins with Watching the Clock

All classics and good reads.

I take KUBB and the Final Four always.

142466 8 years, 3 months ago

Following next week's debacle, Gill will do the honorable thing. Resign. He has already been compensated several times over for his contributions to KU FB. He should renounce any claim on wages for future seasons. 60 -40 that he will. Then we can use the monies saved to hire an experienced coach (experienced and mediocre).

The rabid fans in Lincoln might make up part of Gill's lost wages. Could the Huskers have ever dreamed of inflicting any greater damage to KU FB than what Gill has done?

Geekinout 8 years, 3 months ago

KU's longest play of the day was the long snapper hiking the ball over the punters head for a safety.

The terms of Gills contract was simply a spiteful message to Mangino by way of LewP.

I sadly think that Gill gets one more year. While the KUAD pockets the alum/boosters money for his buyout. Honestly wouldn't surprise me.

KU's football stadium is a Joke.

It was good to see Lt Dan at the game today along with former president G-Dub. I'm sure it made their Saturday watching a slaughtering.

I still see players giving up on plays and jogging to the ball. That's lack of discipline and coaching any way you look at it.

New anti-meth commercial reminds me of big brother Zenger asking little brother Gill where his money is at.

A newfound resentment and darkness looms as I think about KU football. The Darkside?

Thank you Turner "Token" Gill for setting new standards for KU football.

Jayhawkintexas1973 8 years, 3 months ago

Dear Zenger,

If there is not a headline tomorrow on ESPN that says "Gill out at at Kansas", you will cause extra damage that cannot be repairable if you miss out on opportunities to get Mike Leach or others. The fans are putting you on notice Zenger.

Name Mike Leach as Coach as of Monday.

Robert Brown 8 years, 3 months ago

If Leach is so great how come he hasn't been hired? I don't see Leach coming. First off, he will demand too much money. Secondly, he has baggage and thirdly, he is smart enough to know how difficult it will be to turn around this program. In addition, if he is as great as you say, he will have other opportunities to coach in a better situation.

Cal Bender 8 years, 3 months ago

Does anyone have any idea why Lou Perkins would hire a 4 year head coach with a 20-30 record, who was making $450,000 per year, and give him a 5 year, $2 million a year contract, guaranteed, with no buyout provision?

finn78 8 years, 3 months ago

I don't want to seem insensitive, because I am not (completely). But I have to say again: I hope that all of the thin skinned parents and kids that forced Chuckie out are happy. They induced the knee jerk over-correction by the athletice department, that has totally driven this bus over a cliff.

flyingfinn 8 years, 3 months ago

Amen brother been saying the same, something has to change. PLEEEEEASE Zenger and KU administration end this embarassment.

Cal Bender 8 years, 3 months ago

I know Lou Perkins' adminstration was rife with dishonesty, with the ticket scandal, and the exercise equipment, but you don't think that . . . nah, it couldn't be!

kureader 8 years, 3 months ago

This week's MU game, being the last game of the year, will be ugly if we get behind early. At this point, the players are looking forward to the END of this game, especially the seniors. Unless the game is close, you won't see alot of effort from this team in the second half. I'm hoping Zenger has his ducks lined up and that there's a Sunday morning announcement planned.