Kansas defeats Pittsburg State, 84-55

• 7 p.m., Nov. 1, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: Jeff Withey posts triple-double in KU's 84-55 exhibition victory over Pitt State

Jeff Withey posted a triple-double with 18 points, 12 rebounds and 10 blocks, leading the Kansas men's basketball team to an 84-55 exhibition victory over Pittsburg State on Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Withey made 5 of 10 field goals and 8 of 15 free throws to go with two steals and two turnovers.

KU played the game without Elijah Johnson and Tyshawn Taylor (suspension) and Thomas Robinson (knee injury).

Conner Teahan added a team-high 21 points for KU, which included the first nine points of the game on three three-pointers. He finished 5-for-8 from behind the arc.

Travis Releford chipped in 14 points, while Naadir Tharpe was the only other Jayhawk in double figures with 12. Tharpe also added eight assists to go with nine turnovers.

KU led just 32-27 at halftime before outscoring the Gorillas, 52-28, in the second half.

The Jayhawks made 29 of 51 shots (56.9 percent), while holding PSU to 25.3-percent shooting (19 of 75).

KU will wrap up exhibition play on Nov. 8 with a home game against Fort Hays State.

KU coach Bill Self postgame press conference

Box score

Comments

Bill Shaw 2 years, 12 months ago

Not really, we had too many turnovers. We got it together in the second half. If butt kicking is a foul, 3 PSU players fouled out.

kubball99 2 years, 12 months ago

Turn the ball over 15 times in the first half usually doesn't lead to big leads... Looked to be some nervous jitters and getting into the flow of the game by some of the players. I don't what the box score said, but I believe KU was out rebounded in the first half as well.

parrothead8 2 years, 12 months ago

Withey did NOT look good in the first half. It was the second half when he finally came alive.

chriz 2 years, 12 months ago

If Withey keeps getting triple-doubles, then maybe that's why Kaleb didn't want to come to KU! And just think...he's only a junior!

parrothead8 2 years, 12 months ago

Let's not go all gaga over a triple double against a team who didn't have anyone within 6 inches of his height.

Kye Clark 2 years, 12 months ago

Exactly. Oh wait...how does time work?

As I said in another thread, anyone that thinks Jeff Withey is the reason Tarczewski didn't sign hasn't watched him play since arriving at KU. And even if he was making his decision after this game, let's reel in our praise and expectations of Jeff Withey. One good exhibition game against Pittsburg State doesn't make me feel comfortable about our big man situation for the next 2 years

AaronHawk19 2 years, 12 months ago

Withey will be a solid starting center the next two seasons. He will not be expected to handle the inside scoring load, T Rob will be there this season and Ellis next season. If he can block shots, grab boards, and disrupt guards driving the lane he has done his job.

jaycon11 2 years, 12 months ago

withey not blowing off the doors offensively; shows deficiencies, esp his hook jump shot. needs to show agressiveness in the paint. needs to drive and draw fouls, and follow up with 85%+ free throw shooting to make the defense think twice next time.

withey very much the poster boy for non-aggressive moves in the paint with the ball. enough of the head and shouder fakes and ball dribble; take the rock, turn 180 as you leap towards the basket. you will draw fouls 90% of the time. surely danny is stressing this every day.

jaycon11 2 years, 12 months ago

i'd be happy to. better yet, perhaps all concerned should see how freshman cole aldrich stepped up against north carolina in the 2008 final four. withey has now had 2.5x the experience under danny manning, and shows abt .25% the agressiveness in the paint as his predecessor.

watch the youtube highlight of the aldrich game and compare to withey's performance. regardless of the triple double tonight, you'll see a big difference in how the position is played between the 2 players.

i used to taunt new orleans saints fans that i needed to send reggie bush a dvd of walter payton highlights to show reggie what he was lacking. it's really the same thing with withey. he has potential to be aggressive, he just needs the right highlight reel to make it click.

texashawk10 2 years, 12 months ago

Connor Teahan was very impressive tonight and will probably end up being a 15 minute a game player this year at the 3 and occasionally the 4.

I loved Wesley's aggressiveness when he was out there, reminded me of Markieff and T-Rob their freshmen seasons and if Wesley is only going to play 15-20 minutes per game he can be a little more reckless with his fouls than T-Rob and Withey can.

Speaking of Withey, I was very impressed with his play tonight although with him having a 6 inch height advantage, he should of had those rebounding and block numbers but I was impressed with his 18 points. He still needs to work on being more aggressive, but since Withey isn't going to be depended on for his scoring, he can focus on his rebounding and defense and I'm guessing most of his points will come from ally-oops and offensive boards.

I was disappointed in Releford tonight as his free throw shooting made me cringe as much as when T-Rob is at the line. 19-37 as a team is atrocious from the FT line and if that keeps up, KU will lose a few games because of FT shooting. Other than his FT shooting, I thought Releford had a decent game.

Tharpe definitely came out nervous in the first half with 7 turnovers I believe, but settled down nicely in the second half and was a huge factor in KU winning by 29. He looks like he will be a fine PG for KU when he's on the court although I'm sure he will have his moments that make all of us pull our hair out.

Kevin Young had a decent outing tonight with his 8 boards in 20 minutes, but because of the lack of size of Pitt St., I don't know how he'll do against teams with more size.

Jordan Juenemann is someone who could see a few minutes on a regular basis to spell the starters, nothing major but maybe about 5 minutes or so consistently.

The turnovers in the first half bothered me, but I was happy to see KU cut down on the turnovers drastically in the second half and pull away from KU. Not a great game tonight, but far from the worst KU has ever looked in a first exhibition game either.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

You're crazy! If Teahan plays like that he'll get a lot more than 15 minutes a game. Granted Teahan was going up against the D-II Gorillas, but Teahan was the only player out there that wasn't affected by the "Speed" of the game. He was calm, smooth, confident and he was effortless in his movement. That says a lot and it wouldn't matter what player we were talking about in that regards.

kesmithstl1 2 years, 12 months ago

One to Glow on: props to Withey for scoring the triple double tonight. He was great against a much smaller line (and I mean that).

Now, as far as one to Grow on: He needs to be stronger, both mentally and physically. He should take it personally when a 6'6 guy puts a shoulder into his chest, creates space, and then drops in a shot over him! Coach Manning has a history of helping create mean and nasty post player who play hard, and let the opponent know it (see Morris twins, Kahn, Jackson, etc...). I don't see this at all in Withey. As I write this, he is the softest post player KU has had since Chenowith. He has to get stronger/meaner!

His offense doesn't matter to me. That's not what he is there for.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

I disagree! I think Withey had a spectacular game and I think it's harder more times than not for a 7 footer offensively against small guys than it is against guys his own size. It's easy for small guys to get leverage on "Big's" similar to Withey on their hips and push them off their spot. I've seen it a million times and it's a hard thing to adjust.

With that said, nobody had a stellar first half outside of Teahan, but Withey made adjustments and got better position in the second half and his stats reflect that. It's not always so black and white when trying to compare a 7 footer like Withey against some 6'6 guy.

I do agree that Withey needs to get stronger and he should have dunked at least one of 2 those bunnies inside, but then again easier said than done when you got a bunch of snakes swiping at your ankles.

Kye Clark 2 years, 12 months ago

I always enjoy your posts, but if your rationale regarding big guys playing against little guys was sound, wouldn't we see that game planned throughout the year? Wouldn't coaches look at a guy like Jared Sullinger and find some scrappy guard off the bench to guard him? I think maybe for non-aggressive, finesse big men that logic might hold more weight, but for the bangers they'd lick their chops and proceed to dominate against guys that much smaller than they were.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

I just don't get the negativity after one 40 minute exhibition game with this guy? Especially after a triple double! Withey was double teamed a majority of the first half by 6'6 guys! It's not like Withey was completely "Soft". He got fouled and got fouled often which is reflective in his 15 FT attempts! I mean, it's 15 FT attempts!

I don't know, I sometimes think that individuals often confuse the word "Soft" with not always looking graceful. Withey isn't the most graceful player out there, but then again this was his first real game in Kansas unifrom. IMHO I don't think the kid played soft or unaggressive tonight. He's learning about the speed of the game at the moment.

Also, Withey will not be the focal point of the post game in the future. I thought the kid played pretty darn well regardless who KU was playing tonight. You can't score a triple double if you're taking the night off.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

Yes Icthawk, I agree with part of your post about "Bangers". Bangers like Darnell Jackson, Kevin Love, Demarcus Cousins, Sullinger, etc would lick their freaking chops at smaller lineups.

However, Arthur was wasn't much of a banger, but I don't ever remember labeling him "Soft". He was smooth and played a different style, but I wouldn't put him in the category of bruiser even though I saw multiple times of him getting pushed off the block.

I don't know maybe some big guys just don't have strong buttocks or strong anchors (Thighs and Legs) to hold their ground.

kesmithstl1 2 years, 12 months ago

I call it soft when he is 7'0 and he get's rebounds taken from him by 6'6 guys.

Kye Clark 2 years, 12 months ago

Shaw - two posts where you defending him against being soft. I didn't call him soft. All I was doing was questioning your theory about shorter players being tougher match-ups for 7 footers than other guys with more height.

Now if you were reading into me using the term "finesse", well...Withey is more of a finesse big man than a bruiser/banger. Doesn't necessarily mean he's soft, although it's easier to fall into that when you're a finesse post player.

I also have theories on why there is a bit of a backlash after Withey's big night, but I'll have to share them tomorrow. Time to catch some zzz's

Alex Berger 2 years, 12 months ago

Teahan was 5-8 from three point range? I hope his defense has improved because I wouldn't mind having him shoot the ball to stretch the defense for TRob down low and Taylor and Elijah driving to the hoop. Didn't get to see the game, but I'm okay with the outcome. I was a little worried it was going to be within like 10 points.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

That's why they play 40 minutes and not 20.

kureader 2 years, 12 months ago

Alberg, it WAS within 10 points until midway through the 3rd quarter. They had it to within 3 late in the first half. We had more turnovers and less rebounds until the fourth quarter. And, we hit less than 50% from the line for the game.

I felt better after listening to Self's post game interview. Generally, he complimented his team, and he didn't seem to be worried about our mistakes.

Self's positive comments about Withey took me by surprise. I thought Withey played just like last year and he hasn't gained a single pound. He didn't play with energy, and he was knocked to the floor several times by guys half his size. He had the ball knocked out of his hands 15 or 20 times as he went to the bucket. To me, he looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. Having said all that, after seeing his stats and thinking about Self's comments, I decided that I'm expecting too much. I'm gonna have to ease up on Withey. We're gonna really need him this year.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

I can't even read a post that refers to the second half as 3rd quarter. You lost me right there. I guess it's exhibition season for posters as well

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

You're crazy if you don't think Withey was involved in this game. Are you sure you weren't watching the Iowa State game from last year? I know Pitt and Iowa State have the same colors so I can see how you might easily confuse the two.

kureader 2 years, 12 months ago

Take it easy, sweatheart. I didn't say Withey wasn't involved in the game. I said I'm realizing that my expectations of Withey (like those of many other KU fans) are unfair. We're gonna need him this year.

kureader 2 years, 12 months ago

That's what I said. Bill Self was pleased, that should be good enough. Self's comments made me realize that I'm expecting too much from Withey ... (me, and several thousand other KU fans whose disappointment could be heard throughout the field house from time to time this evening).

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

I would say 2002-2003 When you have Michael Lee spelling minutes for Miles, Langford, and Hinrich and Bryant Nash spelling minutes for Jeff Graves and Nick Collison.............that is a one thinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn bench.

BTW, Bryant Nash was a stud against Duke, Zona, and Marquette in that 2003 NCAA run to the title.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

probably should say, "NCAA run to the title game" so not to confuse.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

I will take that bet! How much would you like to wager? I like to deal in Ben Franklin's so let me know. Can you help me out with your last sentence? I'm not being a jerk, I am just curious what it means.

AaronHawk19 2 years, 12 months ago

First, don't try to show NBA results or who will get paid as translating to college success.

Second, Bill Self has loaded teams with talent, so if one season he doesn't have 3-5 McDonalds All-Americans I think it is ok.

Third, we are starting all four and five star recruits.

Fourth, I bet Elijah Johnson is better this year than Xavier Henry or Josh Selby were in their solo campaigns. I would rather have a raw 5 star super athletic guard develop over two seasons in practice and limited game time learning the system than a full of themselves freshman top 5 recruit play soft defense and stand behind the arch shooting 3's any day.

Fifth, Tyshawn Taylor is a 4 year starter and projected second team all conference.

Sixth, how about we watch this team with its three best players before we judge them.

Seventh, way to be a fair weather fan.

DanR 2 years, 12 months ago

1998-99 (Paul Pierce's senior year/went pro) wasn't very deep either. Starters Chenowith, Robertson, Gregory, Boschee and Bradford... with T.J. Pugh and Marlon London off the bench. Lester Earl was out with injuries about a third of that season too.

Makes this year's team look pretty good!

AaronHawk19 2 years, 12 months ago

Void of talent? I can name at least 5 teams over the last 20 years that had a less talented starting 5. Taylor, Johnson, Releford, Robinson, and Withey is a solid starting 5 of 4 and 5 star recruits who are all upperclassmen. Tharpe (a 4 star) will be solid he just had a lot of nerves in his first half, Teahen is a solid perimeter shooter, and Young/Wesley will be good 10-15 minute a game rebound/trash collectors.

You do realize that Taylor, Johnson, and Robinson are on the team, right?

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 12 months ago

Withey and TRob will be good together. Mix in Young and we've got a quick, very agile front line. I look for a faster pace this year with these bigs. The Mori were studs in the physicality area. But, they also slowed the game down. Withey can run the floor and keep up with TRob. So, look for some excitement in transition, if HCBS gives the green light.

kushaw 2 years, 12 months ago

I'm actually surprised sportscenter didn't even mention EJ, Taylor, and T-Rob not suiting up tonight?

The Cuse looked good from the highlights.

phoenixforce 2 years, 12 months ago

Anybody know a link to a replay, torrent or otherwise? Feel free to PM answer if need be.