Kansas defeats Pittsburg State, 84-55

• 7 p.m., Nov. 1, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: Jeff Withey posts triple-double in KU's 84-55 exhibition victory over Pitt State

Jeff Withey posted a triple-double with 18 points, 12 rebounds and 10 blocks, leading the Kansas men's basketball team to an 84-55 exhibition victory over Pittsburg State on Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse.

Withey made 5 of 10 field goals and 8 of 15 free throws to go with two steals and two turnovers.

KU played the game without Elijah Johnson and Tyshawn Taylor (suspension) and Thomas Robinson (knee injury).

Conner Teahan added a team-high 21 points for KU, which included the first nine points of the game on three three-pointers. He finished 5-for-8 from behind the arc.

Travis Releford chipped in 14 points, while Naadir Tharpe was the only other Jayhawk in double figures with 12. Tharpe also added eight assists to go with nine turnovers.

KU led just 32-27 at halftime before outscoring the Gorillas, 52-28, in the second half.

The Jayhawks made 29 of 51 shots (56.9 percent), while holding PSU to 25.3-percent shooting (19 of 75).

KU will wrap up exhibition play on Nov. 8 with a home game against Fort Hays State.

KU coach Bill Self postgame press conference

Box score

Comments

phoenixforce 2 years, 5 months ago

Anybody know a link to a replay, torrent or otherwise? Feel free to PM answer if need be.

kushaw 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm actually surprised sportscenter didn't even mention EJ, Taylor, and T-Rob not suiting up tonight?

The Cuse looked good from the highlights.

Ferd Magellan 2 years, 5 months ago

Not bad for three walk-ons and several unheralded freshmen and tranfers. I didn't catch the game, but you can't be mad after looking at the box score.

Martin Rosenblum 2 years, 5 months ago

Withey and TRob will be good together. Mix in Young and we've got a quick, very agile front line. I look for a faster pace this year with these bigs. The Mori were studs in the physicality area. But, they also slowed the game down. Withey can run the floor and keep up with TRob. So, look for some excitement in transition, if HCBS gives the green light.

Randy Maxwell 2 years, 5 months ago

When was the last time KU was this thin and this void of talent? I'd say Roys first year which he had nothing to do with

kureader 2 years, 5 months ago

Alberg, it WAS within 10 points until midway through the 3rd quarter. They had it to within 3 late in the first half. We had more turnovers and less rebounds until the fourth quarter. And, we hit less than 50% from the line for the game.

I felt better after listening to Self's post game interview. Generally, he complimented his team, and he didn't seem to be worried about our mistakes.

Self's positive comments about Withey took me by surprise. I thought Withey played just like last year and he hasn't gained a single pound. He didn't play with energy, and he was knocked to the floor several times by guys half his size. He had the ball knocked out of his hands 15 or 20 times as he went to the bucket. To me, he looks like he'd rather be somewhere else. Having said all that, after seeing his stats and thinking about Self's comments, I decided that I'm expecting too much. I'm gonna have to ease up on Withey. We're gonna really need him this year.

Alex Berger 2 years, 5 months ago

Teahan was 5-8 from three point range? I hope his defense has improved because I wouldn't mind having him shoot the ball to stretch the defense for TRob down low and Taylor and Elijah driving to the hoop. Didn't get to see the game, but I'm okay with the outcome. I was a little worried it was going to be within like 10 points.

kesmithstl1 2 years, 5 months ago

One to Glow on: props to Withey for scoring the triple double tonight. He was great against a much smaller line (and I mean that).

Now, as far as one to Grow on: He needs to be stronger, both mentally and physically. He should take it personally when a 6'6 guy puts a shoulder into his chest, creates space, and then drops in a shot over him! Coach Manning has a history of helping create mean and nasty post player who play hard, and let the opponent know it (see Morris twins, Kahn, Jackson, etc...). I don't see this at all in Withey. As I write this, he is the softest post player KU has had since Chenowith. He has to get stronger/meaner!

His offense doesn't matter to me. That's not what he is there for.

texashawk10 2 years, 5 months ago

Connor Teahan was very impressive tonight and will probably end up being a 15 minute a game player this year at the 3 and occasionally the 4.

I loved Wesley's aggressiveness when he was out there, reminded me of Markieff and T-Rob their freshmen seasons and if Wesley is only going to play 15-20 minutes per game he can be a little more reckless with his fouls than T-Rob and Withey can.

Speaking of Withey, I was very impressed with his play tonight although with him having a 6 inch height advantage, he should of had those rebounding and block numbers but I was impressed with his 18 points. He still needs to work on being more aggressive, but since Withey isn't going to be depended on for his scoring, he can focus on his rebounding and defense and I'm guessing most of his points will come from ally-oops and offensive boards.

I was disappointed in Releford tonight as his free throw shooting made me cringe as much as when T-Rob is at the line. 19-37 as a team is atrocious from the FT line and if that keeps up, KU will lose a few games because of FT shooting. Other than his FT shooting, I thought Releford had a decent game.

Tharpe definitely came out nervous in the first half with 7 turnovers I believe, but settled down nicely in the second half and was a huge factor in KU winning by 29. He looks like he will be a fine PG for KU when he's on the court although I'm sure he will have his moments that make all of us pull our hair out.

Kevin Young had a decent outing tonight with his 8 boards in 20 minutes, but because of the lack of size of Pitt St., I don't know how he'll do against teams with more size.

Jordan Juenemann is someone who could see a few minutes on a regular basis to spell the starters, nothing major but maybe about 5 minutes or so consistently.

The turnovers in the first half bothered me, but I was happy to see KU cut down on the turnovers drastically in the second half and pull away from KU. Not a great game tonight, but far from the worst KU has ever looked in a first exhibition game either.

jaycon11 2 years, 5 months ago

withey not blowing off the doors offensively; shows deficiencies, esp his hook jump shot. needs to show agressiveness in the paint. needs to drive and draw fouls, and follow up with 85%+ free throw shooting to make the defense think twice next time.

withey very much the poster boy for non-aggressive moves in the paint with the ball. enough of the head and shouder fakes and ball dribble; take the rock, turn 180 as you leap towards the basket. you will draw fouls 90% of the time. surely danny is stressing this every day.

kusportsdotcom 2 years, 5 months ago

I thought Naadir looked solid. Gonna be a great backup to Tyshawn this year.

chriz 2 years, 5 months ago

If Withey keeps getting triple-doubles, then maybe that's why Kaleb didn't want to come to KU! And just think...he's only a junior!

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 5 months ago

I noticed Jordan Junemann was wearing #25. Didn't he wear a different number in previous seasons?

hihawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Withey looked pretty good at this time, and will get better as play go on.

kubball99 2 years, 5 months ago

Turn the ball over 15 times in the first half usually doesn't lead to big leads... Looked to be some nervous jitters and getting into the flow of the game by some of the players. I don't what the box score said, but I believe KU was out rebounded in the first half as well.

Bill Shaw 2 years, 5 months ago

Not really, we had too many turnovers. We got it together in the second half. If butt kicking is a foul, 3 PSU players fouled out.

jhwkfan162515 2 years, 5 months ago

I missed all but the last eight minutes of the game. Find out KU only led by five at halftime. Was PSU kicking our butts in the first half?