Kansas defeats Richmond, 77-57

• 6:27 p.m., March 25, 2011
  • Alamodome, San Antonio, TX

FINAL: Elite Eight bound! KU uses defense to stomp Richmond, 77-57

The Kansas men's basketball team held Richmond to 33.8-percent shooting on its way to a 77-57 victory Friday night in the Sweet 16 at the Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas.

"For the most part, we took away easy points and layups," KU coach Bill Self said. "We also made some shots in the first half that got the lead out there pretty good."

Richmond, which came in as a 40-percent three-point shooting team, made just four of 26 three-pointers (15.4 percent).

Brady Morningstar led KU with 18 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Marcus Morris added 13 points, while Thomas Robinson had 12 points to go with 14 rebounds.

"I just wanted to come off the bench and use my energy and go after every ball," Robinson said, "and it happened to go in my favor tonight."

KU got off to a hot start, jumping out to a 35-11 lead in the first half.

The Jayhawks (35-2) will take on VCU at 1:20 p.m. Sunday on CBS.

KU coach Bill Self postgame press conference

Comments

jhwkfanincali 9 years, 8 months ago

How quickly Steve Kerr's opinion has changed

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!!!

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

so vcu or fsu? as i stated i'd prefer fsu because they can't score and i worry about a team with no fear (vcu) that can get hot from 3.

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 8 months ago

I have seen VCU in person, Chuck. They are like that George Mason team that made the Final Four a few years back. I think we can beat either team. My preference is Florida State---but that's just me.

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

i agree. my preference is fsu but what do i know? so long as we win, i could care less. :)

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 8 months ago

VCU has that jitterbug point guard, Rodriguez. He is a tough little dude. He is their floor leader. They have other guys but Rodriguez is to VCU as Marcus Morris is to KU. Plus, VCU has a young energetic coach who knows what he is doing.

Janet Olin 9 years, 8 months ago

Who cares? If the guards take care of the ball/defend, and the bigs rebound, it shouldn't matter.

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

I agree, I think FSU presents a tough defensive match up for our guards but I think the twins could go off against their front court. VCU just plain scares me, theyy could be like a Davidson in 08' VCU is also a pressing team that could disrupt us to a certain degree but either way if we just play our game we should be able to handle either team. To the poster named spider, congratulations to Richmond on a great run and hope to see you back on here down the road. RCJH one more to the final four!

MrPilot 9 years, 8 months ago

Elite 8 baby! Rock Chalk!!!!! Way go to boys!

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

who would have guessed that brady would lead the team in scoring?

Ron Franklin 9 years, 8 months ago

Brady is a hapless dud that should grab a beer and get some pt ( that's pine time) if we have to depend on him all year this team will flop in the tournament ;)

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

really? did you watch the game tonight? i'm not saying he's our best player, but he had probably the best game of his career tonight. no need to bring him down.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 8 months ago

Guys .. I think he's being facetious there .... mocking our former friend jayhawkinnebr. Nice work, Blownjay.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 8 months ago

Guys, seriously!? That was my best jayhawkinnebbr imitation!!

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 8 months ago

Yep, that's who I was thinking it was---jayhawkinnebr.

btw---it's one b toward the end.

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

i have a lot of alcohol in me right now :)

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

i don't know what happened to my other comment, but i have a lot of alcohol in me right now and just assumed troll. my bad.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 8 months ago

Thanks HEM, thought most of us true board rats would get that, especially since bstar had a career game tonight.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 8 months ago

It's completely fine, comrades!! I appreciate the 'defense mode' ya'll went into for BStar. I've been a constant defender of him, and I'm glad he got his game turned around this year.

I realized I'd be ruffling some jayhawk feathers with that remark, but I was hoping the majority of us would get the irony!!

Keep celebrating! I'm so happy for this team, but there is more work to do!! I'm dreaming of a UNC vs. KU National Championship Game. Hell, my bracket is toast anyway.

Rock Chalk.

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

i second the bracket is toast comment.

for personal reasons, i'd rather see a uk ku championship game though. I've listened to so much trash since i moved to ky almost 3 years ago and we have yet to play them. then again, i don't think i could stomach losing that game, so maybe unc would be better.

DevilHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, UNC - KU would be good.

Ending UofA's second dream run towards a title wouldn't be bad either - as revenge for '97 - but I'd prefer that they not get there in the first place.

kusports1 9 years, 8 months ago

You completely don't know what you are talking about. He is not a stud but does alot of hustle things.

Jared Grillot 9 years, 8 months ago

Relax all... did you not see the winkie face? Brady played pretty sweet, and frankly, to have a team put one of our "stars" out of commision (MkM), and suddenly have a flurry of output from not one, but several bench players... other teams should definitely not count on shutting down "the guy" because we obviously have too many to shut them all down.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 8 months ago

tonight i had visions of 08. not comparing them talent-wise or greatness, but just how they've really embodied the team concept the last few weeks is something to very, very proud of. seeing this development has made this one of my all-time favorite squads.

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

What the hell were you smoking tonight? Whatever it was you need to call your dealer up and demand a refund dude!

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

blownjay, sorry didn't get the sarcasm tounge in cheek there. I should have known you wouldn't dog Brady like that, my bad!

riverdrifter 9 years, 8 months ago

We match up better with VCU. Therefore, I hope they win.

100 9 years, 8 months ago

My friend.... Regarding your hallway scene Godfather movie you are trying to write.... First of all. It's competition. The juices were flowing.

Second of all.... TBS showed us Kansas players walking through that thin tunnel (at least thin for a bunch of basketball players from two teams).

What ensued was a kid from Richmond, accidentally bumped in the thin hallway or not (we have no idea there is no camera angle) the big white 7 footer got out of the back of the huddle to circle around & shout at the KU players. Who knows what he said, but it obviously wasn't a smart move by him.... My best bet was he was trying to get a couple of our best players ejected.

From there you see our players holding their ground. Something was said by the Richmond kid that apparently got Kansas' attention.

It's just a competitive environment & not a good idea to have teams walk by each other in a dark hallway.

I don't fault Richmond's player, he just wanted to stick up for his team by talking. What ensued was just a bunch of competitors shouting at each other.

Don't try to make this into something it wasn't.

DevilHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

We did nothing but dominate Richmond.

• Taylor with 10 assists - against only 3 turnovers.
  • Brady with 18 pts, including 4-7 from beyond the arc.
  • TRob with a double-double.

The key, however, was definitely Richmond not hitting from beyond the arc - also credit to our defense. Had Richmond shot their average from beyond the arc, then we probably don't win by double-digits.

jhawkfl8r 9 years, 8 months ago

WHY?!?!?! WHY are our players SO MEAN??

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

i think because some of our players feed of that. don't blame, that's the culture we live in.

jaybate 9 years, 8 months ago

jhawkfl8r,

Auto-fl8io is a neat trick. Kind of fund to watch a troll do it.

Do it again...while your team loses...and KU enjoys a 20 point win.

Wait a minute?

Are you an Antler without a coach?

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

Alright I'm stupid what is Auto-fl8io?

John Randall 9 years, 8 months ago

Maybe I'm just a dirty old man, but I took it to be a twit's attempt at a fellatio reference.

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

i don't think that's been announced yet.

kusayzone 9 years, 8 months ago

This is a man's game and we have the team to take on all comers. What if other team gets into foul trouble...KU can only beat themselves at this point....divert to me rather than team ball.....saw parts of that tonite....HCBS has plenty of ammo to right the ship for three more games...but ONE at a time.....

jhox 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure glad Bill Self is the coach, and not one of the Brady haters. Forget his points, his defense was outstanding tonight.

Rock chalk, Jayhawk.

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

not once did brady make that silly play where he drives behind the backboard only to jump and dish... that's the only thing he does that i can't stand. Congrats Brady on a game well played.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 8 months ago

I actually love that baseline drive. He almost always finds someone open on the wing for a three. It's like the EJ lob-pass-for-a-dunk: opponents never see it comin'.

Favorite play of the game: When some Richmond guy tried to do the baseline pass, and Brady picked it off for a steal and a layup.

"Try to do the baseline pass? Sucka, I invented the baseline pass!"

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

i can't deny that he is usually successful with it. but i would much rather see him take it to the hoop.

jayhawkgrad97 9 years, 8 months ago

It is a set play to get Tyrel an open 3.

jayhawkdropout 9 years, 8 months ago

brady does a good job of disguising it as being caught out position.

lovemyhawks 9 years, 8 months ago

wow..... a game for brady and trob!!! ROCK CHALK!! loved it..... didn't want it to end!

any clue on a time on sunday??

jhox 9 years, 8 months ago

I apparently said something the moderators didn't like, so I'll say it a different way. Another great game by Brady. I'm sure glad Coach Self is in charge, and not the people who were trashing Brady early in the season.

Forget his points, his defense was outstanding tonight.

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

anyone know the current standing between ky and ku for all-time wins?

Eric J. Baker 9 years, 8 months ago

By my count, the current win situation is: Kentucky: 2050 (2051 if they beat OSU tonight) Kansas: 2038 UNC: 2033

lovemyhawks 9 years, 8 months ago

twins did not contribute that much tonite and we still dominated!! that's a good sign with 3 more games ahead. we need THEM but good to know others can step up.... brady and mario and trob especially!!!! great to see! even LOVED selby's 3s though some of his other stuff drove me crazy!!

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

the only thing he did tonight that drove me batty was that selfish, highlight wannabe, waste of a play at the end. what makes this team great is that they play as a team. sometimes, selby just doesn't get that, like taking on three guys trying to make sportscenter. i know the game was totally decided at that point but it doesn't matter in my mind.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 8 months ago

No surprise tonight in the result. I thought we'd roll. We'll roll Sunday.

Great game by TT .. I never thought I'd see a 10 assist game from him again (he had one early in the season, I think). But his mindset tonight was perfect point guard material.

Great game by Brady ... we need he or Reed to be hot from 3. Got it.

Robinson was a monster, and nice contribution by Selby (who needs to resist the urge to shoot more than needed after he makes a few. How good will this guy be if he stays another season?)

Terrific overall game ... destination: Houston.

waywardJay 9 years, 8 months ago

Welcome aboard, HEM.

Still Doubt his comparable numbers to Russell Robinson's ?

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

TT has really found his grove since coming back from his suspension. Lets hope he keeps it up for THREE more games!

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

this may be the first ohio state game i've watched all season for more than a few minutes, and though it's early, it's clear they have a lot of weapons.

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

i will probably get blasted for this, but i liked the tunnel incident. they didn't do anything wrong (like throw punches) and they got themselves motivated while getting under the spiders' skin.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm with you, Chuck. Sometimes people forget our team is made up of 18-to-22-year-olds. (And Brady, ha-ha).

Players are competitive. Stuff happens. 'Nuff said.

waywardJay 9 years, 8 months ago

Chuck, i'm with you on this.

We set the tone for today before we even stepped on the Court. We set the tone tellin gthem yesterday they needed to bring it.

They Didn't.

We reinofrced their spiderweb with a flyby... and THEY REACTED. They were blocking our route to the court, and I bet Self sent them out there, knowing the chance for somethign gritty to happen was there.

To take a step back in time, We seem to be taking the role of Villian this year..... Chippy, vicious, and nasty. And Damn good too.

justinryman 9 years, 8 months ago

Im with ya, about time KU showed some edge to them. I guess all the "experts" picking against us just gave us that more fuel!

KU_FanSince75 9 years, 8 months ago

As a player, I would have done the same thing. That is, said something to the Richmond players.

As a coach, I would have said, "Hey, men----let's do our talking on the court by putting points on the board."

Chuck---I get your point. I am definitely not going to blast you on what you said.

Ryan Shelton 9 years, 8 months ago

Can someone tell me what exactly Brady did? It looked to me that he only slapped his chest a few times after nailing a shot. I assume the ref's call was a knee-jerk reaction to the play on the other end just before his T, but I must have missed something.

waywardJay 9 years, 8 months ago

yeah that's basically what he did.... he was taunting kevin " GUitterez " Smith after Smith's Spiking the ball to the court ( a techinical foul not called )......

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 8 months ago

Great game guys! I want to watch us play three more.

Also, fun fact, according to good ol' Marv San Antonio is an important place for KU because that's where we won the National Championship... in 1988.

Huh, and here I thought we played that one in Kansas City. But hey, you know best, Marv... ;)

JHAWKNPHX 9 years, 8 months ago

My boy says he hates spiders but he hates mizzou more. Nice win boys!!! Time for another banner!! RCJHKGKU

MrPilot 9 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like you're bringing your boy up right. Good job. ;-)

Tony Bandle 9 years, 8 months ago

Post Game and Posting Observations:

1] How come none of the four names listed between posts correspond to who actually won?

2] Sherman's March in 1865 was no less devasting than the game tonight.

3] How in the heck did that friggin' Beak Man get on TV again.

4] The only team that can beat the Kansas Jayhawks is the Kansas Jayhawks.

5] Where the heck is soobawls?

6] Now that the Morri got that game out of their systems, we can continue to dominate.

7] TRob may end up eventually being the consummate NBA strong man.

8] Josh.....come on man, grow up!!

9] NCAA [Nothing but Commercials And Ads.]

10] Just once I'd like to see that big red ball of tape catch up and squish that guy!!

MrPilot 9 years, 8 months ago

Regarding #1, those listings show your Final 4 picks for the bracket you submitted to the kusports.com challenge. (If you submitted one)

FairgroveJayhawk 9 years, 8 months ago

soobawls is gravitating toward jayhawkinnebbr, ass first.

Mike Ardis 9 years, 8 months ago

Wonder if Bill Self would want to go against Leonard Hamilton as he was an assistant for him at Oklahoma State

KansasComet 9 years, 8 months ago

I love KU. Not worried about Leonard Hamilton. This is 2011, and Kansas is the best basketball team in the tournament. I love the way they play. Morningstar, Reed, Selby, the Morris Twins, Robinson, and on and on and on and on......No Fear, this is beautiful to watch. No matter who Kansas plays we will be ready.

Ben Kane 9 years, 8 months ago

jeez, it's already halftime of the next games and still no post game interviews up yet??

bbhawk234 9 years, 8 months ago

I take it we would rather play VCU over FSU? Better size matchup?

Janet Olin 9 years, 8 months ago

Three things: 1) you couldn't see from the tunnel video who bumped whom, but it didn't hurt anything, both groups were stoked, and KU came out sizzling and defending. 2) Nice to see TT focused and under control for about the 5th straight game.3) It bodes well for the team when Brady, TRob, Mario, and Josh shine on a night that the twins aren't the stars.

slowplay 9 years, 8 months ago

Pretty much as I predicted. Richmond is out of their league. Next game will go the same way. UNC, UK and OS are the only teams capable of giving KU a game. And I'm not sure of KU and UNC. OS and KU would be an amazing Final.

minnhawk84 9 years, 8 months ago

Well, we don't have to worry about Ohio Straight or Dook (cue the music)

FLJHK 9 years, 8 months ago

1. Outstanding game. So nice to watch a tourney game and not risk cardiac arrest. This one was never in doubt.
  2. Thought our defense was superb, and the reason we totally controlled the game. Ball pressure, pass angles, steals, blocking out and owning the boards.
  3. Amazingly easy win given the the twins had, by their lofty standards, something of an off game, especially offensively.
  4. MOJ: gotta go with Brady. Terrific game on both ends of the floor. But Tyshawn was almost equally as effective and important. His game has leaped considerably since the suspension. TRob was again a monster on the boards.

All in all, just a great win. Looking for 3 more. RCJH

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

I'm with you, my heart needed a rest tonight!

Dan Pawlowski 9 years, 8 months ago

Anyone know where a replay of this game can be seen online?

John Randall 9 years, 8 months ago

That's a good thing? Like we need another day/week of hearing, "Now, guys, don't get a big head."

Hopefully, UNC or UK can share the bull's eye.

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

Here's to VCU and FSU playing a triple overtime game and wearing themselves out for a Sunday game against us!

JayHawkFanToo 9 years, 8 months ago

Ohio State is out with Kentucky advancing to play North Carolina. KU is officially the only #1 seed left. It look like we mighht be playing VCU after all. They are a pesky team with a defense similar to Missouri, they press all the time...of course KU beat MU twice so HC Self should know how to beat them. Their top guard, Rodriguez, is an improved version of Keiton Page on steroids. Oops, spoke too soon...a block by FSU and the game is going to OT.

FarSideHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

OSU Down!

Florida State wasted the last possession and waited too long to take the last shot. They may regret it in the overtime.

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

VCU is 12 for 25 from trifectorville, that's the type of team that could upset us!

bbhawk234 9 years, 8 months ago

I would rather play a team that we are bigger than so not bad to get VCU

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

Lets just let them beat the crap out of each other for another 10 or 15 minutes!

brooksmd 9 years, 8 months ago

Well Richmond was shooting 40% from the three and we shut them down to 15% tonight. No reason why we can't do it to VCU also.

Dan Harris 9 years, 8 months ago

Who's it going to be?FSU or VCU? it looks like it's VCU!!

FarSideHawk 9 years, 8 months ago

VCU did it. Was hoping for FSU, but if we play our natural game we should beat them.

MrPilot 9 years, 8 months ago

Props to VCU for making it to the Elite 8. Their journey will end there, but they've played some good ball.

Ron Franklin 9 years, 8 months ago

Did Bill Self evolve a little from last year.

It seems to me that he is employing his 3/4 press a lot more now to move the tempo along. It is obviously paying dividends.

Great for VCU. Glad they played 45 minutes of extreme ball, while the Jayhawks coasted.

This team is on fire, and I hope they continue burning until 4/4/2011

Benjamin Piehler 9 years, 8 months ago

KU's lookin' pretty good after the VCU, FSU slugfest...

Kye Clark 9 years, 8 months ago

Some observations from tonight's games:

• Ohio State played awful. Like the studio guys said, Kensucky basically had to play a perfect game, to win by 2, with Ohio St. getting a decent look at the buzzer. Was really hoping Ohio State would pull it out. I cringe every time I have to see one of Calisleazy's ridiculously contorted facial expressions. Sunday's UNC-UK game might be near unwatchable for me, with no one to really root for.

• KU will meet VCU on Sunday, and I'm not overly concerned. In addition to KU having the superior squad, I think tonight's games will have opposing effects. KU played the earlier game, a blowout, in which they did not have to expend a ton of energy. The Morris Twins (nor anybody else for that matter) were not required to put the team on their backs and should have plenty in left in the tank. On the other hand, VCU played the late game, getting taken to overtime against a defensively tough FSU team in a knock-down, drag out brawl. And on Sunday we play the earlier game, giving VCU even less time to recover between contests. My prediction - KU by 14.

• I'll admit that I was one advocating for both Brady & Tyshawn to have their minutes cut at different points during the season. While I think the criticism & rationale were both valid at the time, it is great to see them both playing at such a high level. Coach Self is pushing all the right buttons to get the most out of his players right now. While I still would have liked to have seen Travis playing more minutes along the way to have him more game ready, I also know it must be an incredibly difficult task to rotate the number of players in that Self is right now (9, which is more than normal for his teams), and trying to get Travis more minutes might have disrupted the process.

• I've seen Josh catching some grief from the posters for his out of control attempt late in the game. I actually don't have a problem with it, given the time and circumstance. It shows me he's out there having fun. It has to be difficult for the young man, seeing all these other highly-touted freshman have great tournament performances - Barnes, Sullinger, Knight, Irving. So what if he freelances and forces something in the final minute of a blowout? Hopefully he's starting to loosen up and isn't inside his own head too much anymore. It was great to see him hit a few long-range bombs during the game.

Well that's about it for tonight. I know this is looking ahead, and some poster might berate me with a "one game at a time!" blast, but we're not the players or the coaches so looking ahead is harmless - who would my fellow Crimson & Blue brothers rather see in the Final Four? Butler or Florida? I'd rather see Florida. Forget the seeds, I would rather not see Brad Stevens on the opposing sideline, and that's saying something considering Billy Donovan has 2 rings!

Jared Grillot 9 years, 8 months ago

Thank you! Reposted! Rock Chalk Jayhawk, USA!

KULA 9 years, 8 months ago

Sweet! Who'd have ever thought to look for Tyshawn in the Atlantic Monthly?

brooksmd 9 years, 8 months ago

Just like it's about time you got rid of that stupid alias you use.

MGJayhawk 9 years, 8 months ago

My take...

1) Tunnel incident was a perfect way to start. No punches, but a lot of jawing and stare downs. That's how you bully someone out of the tourney! 2) When TT is at his best or just under his best (i.e. darn good) we are unstoppable. I've been saying it all year on this message board. 3) Brady was clutch tonight. Not worried about the technical. He got pushed and the refs just let it go. He had to get his. 4) Reed is struggling a bit. He's not in the flow of the offense or is guarded really well. I hope he gets more looks because we need him.
5) It's crazy we will play two teams back to back who are within 20 minutes of each other. 6) We still aren't poised enough right now. We really need a senior or junior leader to get the guys to focus during the game. Needs to be TT or Marcus. 7) VCU scares me a bit. They are like Davidson in '08 with nothing to lose and a hot 3-point shooting hand. We defend the 3 poorly. Hopefully we can get the ball down low more for a better in and out game. Rich played a strong zone so it limited the Morris & Morris Law Firm. 8) Selby is still a liability. In my mind it's fools gold to think he will perform like that again in this tourney (3 point makes). I love his game and intensity. He needs another year to mature and learn...a la Brandon Rush. 9) We need EJ in a big way against VCU. Not from a scoring standpoint but from strictly defensive. He might be the sleeper key for Sunday. 10) Refs had another good game. For the second game in a row I am giving them a good grade. I like how they let the players play. There were definite misses on their part but it didn't influence anything.

P.S. - Shaka Smart looks like Nick Wright from 610 Sports in Kansas City.