Kansas defeats Ohio State, 78-67

• 2:15 p.m., Dec. 10, 2011
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

FINAL: T-Rob comes alive in second half of KU's 78-67 victory over No. 2 Ohio State

Thomas Robinson scored 21 points — including 14 in the second half — to lead the Kansas men's basketball team to a victory over No. 2 Ohio State on Saturday afternoon at Allen Fieldhouse.

OSU played without preseason All-American Jared Sullinger, who sat out because of a back injury.

Robinson, who was held without a rebound in the first half, grabbed seven after halftime.

Kevin Young came off the bench to score 14 points on 6-for-8 shooting, while Elijah Johnson added 15 points on 5-for-7 three-point shooting.

Tyshawn Taylor added nine points to go with 13 assists and seven turnovers.

KU made 28 of 48 field goals (58 percent) while holding OSU to 24-for-62 shooting (38.7 percent).

After the game, KU coach Bill Self announced that Tyshawn Taylor will be out for one to three weeks after tearing his meniscus in his knee during Tuesday's practice.

KU (7-2) will face Davidson at 8 p.m. on Dec. 19 at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Mo.

KU coach Bill Self postgame press conference

Comments

MrPilot 9 years, 11 months ago

What a great (albeit sloppy at times) game! Rock Chalk! Young is a beeeeeast!

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

Remember how many of those Jayhawk posters doubted kid could play at our level. He's just a scrub that went to LMU.

He couldn't possibly show up big on a big stage.

Geniuses, Y'all are geniuses.

Great victory, all though it was not without it's questions. Sullinger in there would have made this a statement game, instead it was just an impressive impressive victory. I wonder how much of Sullinger not playing was Road v. Home. Bakc spasms tend to act up on long trips via Bus or Airplane. Travel accomidations, and unfamaliar Beds might have been the 7th man today for us.

gokuellie08 9 years, 11 months ago

Young is not a beast sorry to say.......... go trob!

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

Until today's game KY was only averaging a rebound per two minutes coming into this game.....

That's what he's supposed to do...

He started as a freshman at LMU and averaged 10 boards a game, and he has clearly worked on his game in the interim.... between him and Jeff Withey there should be a double double every game....

Now If we can count on Trob to get 20-10 Tyshawn to bring 10 Trele to bring 15 ELijah to bring 8

Big12 championship 8 might not be out of reach.

LAJayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Great Game, but on bigger topics.... Bring in Dayne Crist!!!

I know, I know. Football talk always clogging up the basketball threads.... ;-)

David Robinett 9 years, 11 months ago

Ahperse, you are absolutely like the Grinch after his heart grew back to normal size! Love it.

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 11 months ago

Just saying a green metal hospital grade cane with masking tape holding the rubber end on is not a good look. At least pimp it out with some ivory, maybe one that holds liquor in it.

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

He probably hasn't had a long time to get his Gadget on. By the time We get to seasons, I fully expect his Cane to be outfitted witha samarui sword and Ingraved in Japenese

" F*** Todd Haley."

TwistedFish31 9 years, 11 months ago

Actually, he's more like the troll that lives under the bridge in manhattan. Nothing but a k-state loser.

Jan Rolls 9 years, 11 months ago

Isn't this guy hurt more than he plays? He has an attitude also. Don't hold your breath

ahpersecoachingexperience 9 years, 11 months ago

Klunk (sound of ahperse passing out from lack of oxygen)

railer20 9 years, 11 months ago

I don't think you have any clue what you are talking about to be honest!

Paul Mitten 9 years, 11 months ago

Robinson played awesome tonight. It's funny that it's probably his worst game of the season yet he finished with 21/7.

LAJayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Yes. Jesse spotted him with the recruits.

MGJayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

Sit down Tyshawn until he learns to be a better PG. He needs to not make so many bone head plays, lazy passes and selfish drives to the bucket. Sit him!

gchawk 9 years, 11 months ago

He will be sitting for a Coach just announced that Tyshawn has a torn meniscus. I commend Tyshawn for his toughness and hard work.

nuleafjhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

He's tough. I'll give him that. He's also the most careless point guard I've ever seen in a Kansas uniform. For a four year starter who should be the leader of this team - I cringe every time the ball is in his hands.

KGphoto 9 years, 11 months ago

If we can overcome that kind of officiating and TO ratio and still beat the #2 team in the land...

This is an exciting team. I don't care if Sullinger was playing or not, KU can play with anybody. The only thing holding us back right now is ourselves. Self and Danny can coach through that.

Rock Chalk... er Chuck... Jayhawk!!

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

We prepared for Ohio State like a Bo Ryan team. Forced them to shoot Jumpers, and generally just played big 10 style basketball. Good thing Self is famaliar with that conference and that style of Play. Trey shooting, great. Overal shooting percentage, Great. I don't really Even have an issue with Tyshawn's turnovers, how many plays did he make today that helped get us a win. 13 dimes for a guy who supposedly has trouble passing the ball. We had a slightly below average game from TYshawn ( which is understandable as he was matched wit Craft. We had a much improved game out of Elijah and Travis. And Kevin Young showed why Steve Fisher was so butt hurt about losing him.

Great game guys. IF this team is -2 going into COnference Look out.

LAJayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

RE: TT

Very good game. Made some really bad decisions at times (as is par for the course), but all in all, we absolutely do not win that game without him. He opened up the floor for everyone else, and, for the most part, found the open guy.

Marcia Parsons 9 years, 11 months ago

I think Bob Davis said TT had 17 assists.

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

offical box stat after the game has him at 13, but they often miss a few.

Steve Gantz 9 years, 11 months ago

The badgers are my secondary team, just love Bo Ryan, thanks for making reference to him. I've seen Bo do it to OSU many times over the years.

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

That is what is going to take us as far as we can go. Stout aggressive defense, penetrate and Kick, and one massive Grinding force down low.

colreader 9 years, 11 months ago

TT having surgery tomorrow, out 2-3 weeks!

Theutus 9 years, 11 months ago

Where did you read that? I personally don't like Taylor, but that's not something you wish on anyone... Hope he makes a full recovery.

On the plus side, this gives Self the necessary shove to start playing Tharpe.

colreader 9 years, 11 months ago

Coach Self announced it during the post-game interview.

Theutus 9 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for the info. This could be a blessing in disguise (assuming Taylor makes a full recovery).

LAJayhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

If that is true, then we are going to have some serious trouble...

colreader 9 years, 11 months ago

TT having surgery tomorrow, out 2-3 weeks!

Gary Wilson 9 years, 11 months ago

This game evened out pretty much with Sully out and Taylor playing too many minutes. Imagine how good we'd be without TT and his braindead play. Other than that, the rest of the team played well, and it was good to see EJ and Young show up big. HCBS.......please keep the ball in EJ's hands. We like winning big games like this.

Clarence Haynes 9 years, 11 months ago

"Braindead" TT had 13 assists on a bum knee! Give me a break!

Steve Reigle 9 years, 11 months ago

TT had 13 assists, 1 more than the entire OSU team. Subtract his 7 turnovers and he's still +6 on the game. I'd rather see 0 or 1 or 2 turnovers but I'll take these numbers.

ignatius_j_reilly 9 years, 11 months ago

If KU plays like this in the tournament, they will lose badly and quickly to anyone. No fundamentals, all turnovers. Turnovers don't just go away like that in March.

railer20 9 years, 11 months ago

Ummm well at least we will have an excuse for losing in the tourney! But you are about as far off as can be. I thought that was the best game KU has played from beginning to end. With Sullinger I think it was a 2-3 pt game either way and that is saying a lot for how we have been playing.

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

Frankly, We are going to learn how to play without Tyshawn the next couple weeks, and we aren't going to be pretty. Turnover numbers should go down because between Elijah and Naadir on the point, I expect us to be in many predictable sets. Not Having tyshanw now, means he will be healthier at the end of the year, and for all of those gloom and doom fans around the nation. we are 1-2 against the Top 5 so far... Not bad considering even the most optimistic fans thought this was not the greatest recruiting class, before we lost half of it to Partial Qualifer junk.

Theutus 9 years, 11 months ago

As I mentioned somewhere earlier, I think this will end up being a blessing in disguise (assuming Taylor makes a full recovery).

Tharpe needs time on the court to make mistakes and calm his nerves. EJ is still going through it now... The more court time Tharpe see's, the better for us.

Taylor isn't nearly consistent enough to be the 38mpg PG who always does things himself. When he has his little mental collapses we need to be able to sit him for a couple minutes and let Tharpe sub for him.

Long term, I think this is going to help us.

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

Sure, it will help us. it might stretch our bench to 9 players.

But on the serious downside of this, No one has a better grasp of what/ and what not to do with Tyshawn, than Bill Self.

I think Self's record speaks for itself.

Realistically this should not be a 7-2 team. This probably should be a 6-3 team or possibly a 5-4 team with a really poor coach ( Errrr um Ben Howland ), but this team competed for 30 of 40 against Kentucky. It Beat duke until Coach K's effect on the officials changed the game.And beat a very good but injured Ohio State team today.

Even without tyshawn these next 4 are winnable, and anyone who thinks our offense is magically going to be better because Tyshawn's out is Deluding themselves. Naadir needs the minutes as this is his team next year, but Tyshawn's absence will slow us down.

FLJHK 9 years, 11 months ago

Coach Weis got a taste of the passion of Jayhawk Nation today.

Rock Chalk.

PhogAdvisory 9 years, 11 months ago

A Few Thoughts About This Year's Team After a Great Win:

~I know OSU didn't have Sullinger, but I still think this a big, impressive win for us. We beat the No. 2 team in the nation, and we didn't "squeak past them," either: we won by eleven points. And it's not even like we put together The Perfect Game to do it, either. That was WITH 18 turnovers and seven missed free throws. There's actually something weirdly impressive about that.

~TT drives me nuts (drove Bob Knight nuts, too), but what the heck, I'll take 7 TOs if they come with 13 assists. Just needs to hit his flippin' free throws. And kid gets a ton of Bad@$$ Points for playing with a torn meniscus. Ick. (On a side note, situations like these continue to remind me why Self seems to like TT so much. He continues to play hurt, without talking about it. Say what you will about the kid's concentration, but he's a tough son of a gun, that's for sure.)

~Speaking of the injury: Well, TT critics (and I've been one of them at times), looks like you get your wish. We'll get to see how the team runs without Ty at the helm. I've got faith in our guys, and I'm hopeful that this will actually be beneficial in the long run - particularly to Naadir, who's been curiously absent the last two games - but my Nervous Level just rose a few degrees for the next few games. Get healthy soon, Taylor!

~Withey's height and length significantly affects the opposing team's offense for about 20 minutes. That's usually how long it takes for a talent team to figure out how to get around and/or shoot over him. But hey, those 20 minutes can be a game-changer, so I'll take it.

~I know TRel's not the most impressive player on the court, but he's darn near always the first person on the floor after a loose ball. Gotta love his hustle.

~I was curious as to why Self kept playing Wesley over Young, so I played a game today. I tallied up the number of points KY cost us due to bad D, versus the number of points he gained us due to his good offense. (I subtracted "bad D" points whenever he made a stop, too - for example, by taking a charge.) By the end of the first half, he was at 9-2, offense winning. Sadly I didn't get to play the game in the second half because my stream feed was blurring so badly, but I think KY has proved his worth. Kid's a spark plug. Self doesn't have a good excuse not to play him more.

Overall, real happy with this victory, and pretty impressed with where we are this early in the season. We're better than I expected, so far. This team has a hard time concentrating between about 10:00-4:00 of the second half, but they buckle down and take care of business at the end. And despite their brain dead moments, they always play with a ton of hustle. Gotta appreciate that.

Aaaand I get to ride a very pleasant Postgame Victory High as I write my term paper. Always a plus when that happens. XD

RCJH! Next up: Davidson!

Ben Kliewer 9 years, 11 months ago

Anybody see this Big 10 commercial with all these shots of Tommie Frazier? Because, you know, he played in the Big 10...

kupride4u 9 years, 11 months ago

Tharpe? Do we have a transfer coming soon?

JayHok 9 years, 11 months ago

Probably be a starter next game. Self has probably been getting him ready for the last week or so with the first team knowing Taylor's surgery was coming.

milehighhawk 9 years, 11 months ago

I think that's a little premature to say at this point.

I'd imagine he'll start to get more minutes as the season wears on, starting with TT being out next game.

Naadir is a smart kid who has a chance to start next season - I think he'll get it together.

JayHok 9 years, 11 months ago

"Let's go whup Ohio State. Rock chalk, Jayhawk!"

3puttbogey 9 years, 11 months ago

Wow, the announcers only mentioned the fact that Sullinger didn't play about, what, 2 or 3....HUNDERED TIMES. As far as I'm concerned Sullinger not playing and Withey playing is a wash. There's no way Sullinger could have helped Ohio State any more than Withey did.

Jim Dickerson 9 years, 11 months ago

My observations:

TT- gotta take the bad with the good. Lot more good than bad today

EJ- swish x 5. Loved it

Trel- Great D + mucho hustle

Withy- Solid

KY- Nickname "Jelly" He was really slick today. Player of the game IMO.

Bill Selfs halftime snack- a big chunk of TRob's backside. Great response big guy. Fantastic second half.

Favorite play of the game- Teahan's drive to the basket. Looked like a stern wheeler in a drag boat race. But by gawd he was completly under control and made the 2.

Andrew Washington 9 years, 11 months ago

WOW Indiana..good win! Thats gotta be the most passionate victory ive seen since KU beat UNC in the final four!...the court looked like it became the student section. I'm happy for their program considering what its been through..and i'll root for any team that goes against kentucky!

Ron Franklin 9 years, 11 months ago

Long Beach St leading UNC @ home @ half time 45-40!

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) -- Tyshawn Taylor played through the pain. Jared Sullinger did not.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/ncaa/men/gameflash/2011/12/10/72418_recap.html?sct=hp_t2_a4&eref=sihp#ixzz1gBToQ1Ca

Ouch, that's going to resonate with some folks in Columbus. Hope that's not a repeating trend on their season, Sullinger's too good a player to have the dreaded "soft" label. This is an interesting little injury because he slimmed down this year and developed more muscle mass, I wonder if this is another scenario of Injury by Too much body mass increased in a short time span......

Steve Reigle 9 years, 11 months ago

It seems Tyshawn Taylor is a favorite for those of us in this forum to beat on. And sometimes he deserves it. We're quick to pick on failures and far less quick to salute successes, of which he also has had many. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I, for one, am proud that Tyshawn Taylor is a Jayhawk.

Louis Williams 9 years, 11 months ago

It was good to see us close out this game. Although we should have beat them by 20 (they are not that good, even with Sullinger), I'll take the W as this team needed this win to get some confidence. And everyone needs to relax about Tyshawn Taylor as the only games that will matter are games 2,3 and 4 in the big dance. And BTW, we aren't going anywhere without him.

Jack Wilson 9 years, 11 months ago

Solid performance today -- -There has been some good KY discussions. Today leaves no doubt. He deserves PT. His performance against a top team demands it. His offensive versatility trumps his defensive shortcomings, which I might add, looked to be improved today. This is the sort of "surprise" this team needed. And the three range was impressive. Looks like a better option than Wesley .. appeared as though Self thought so too. Good to see Self stick with the hot hand. -Superb coaching by Self today. Great defensive game plan. Took TT out at the right times. -KY's play today perhaps calls into question the arguments I've made about giving guys some PT to be ready for big time games. KY looked ready for primetime. -But we will see if Tharpe is ready. TT's injury, as many have pointed out, could be a big plus in the long run. We only have four games in this stretch, but it would be nice to see Tharpe get 10-15. -And on TT, playing through the pain is stud. Could have opted out. Could have played it safe. Dropping 13 assists was really unbelievable. He can do it if he wants to. His turnovers were still high. And the 7 should have been 9 .. he had to "shots" that were short .. one way short .. that were really just turnovers. -TRob - I compared him to Collison his freshman year. Still the best comparison I can come up with. TRob will be a first team all-american. -Withey .. a very quiet game. -Wesley .. will be interesting to see if he's first in next game, or KY. -Releford .. we all want more offensively. But man, his defensive intensity is as good as I've seen. And I just haven't seen any lapses or mistakes. -EJ .. he'll be up and down, but I'm betting we have a bona-fide 50% three point shooter come February. Pretty ball, sweet rotation. -Back to KY .. when I said "surprise" above .. I mean the type of surprise that could transform this team into a final four contender. -Finally, on KY (I've said this before).. it all would look even better if he still had the 'fro. Skinny black dudes with that sort of game, and a 'fro. That's the essence of hoops. Just need a red, white, and blue basketball to complete the picture, and maybe some short, shorts. But I'll take his game today minus the 'fro.

waywardJay 9 years, 11 months ago

Since when did we decide to get on the same page in this sport.

The schedule helps us in March, because it demands us to play the defense we will need in March IN November. This is the ANTI- Self squad, which we have routinely performed well above expectation. Sherron and Cole's first year alone.... Only more Depth. It's not right to compare Roy coached teams to Bill Coached teams, but I keep looking back at 2003 drawing the comparisons.

Maui Tourney.... Started Slow. Came together quick. made a run. lead by two seniors ( or in this case two guys in their last years of eligibility.

But here's the Bonus.

While Tyshawn is no Kirk Hinrich. Nor Trob is no COllison. Elijah's better than Aaron Miles. Withey's better than Jeff Grraves. Naadir is better than Jeff hawkins. Langford was better than Releford, but there are Areas where Releford is better than Keith. Michael Lee is better than Connor, but NOt better than Ben Mc Kevin Young is better than Christian Moody Justin Wesley is as good as Bryant Nash. Jamari Traylor woudl have HOUSED Moulaye Niang And Wayne Simien was out most of the Year.

This team is eerily similiar to 2003.

theend 9 years, 11 months ago

I predicted an OSU win 90-74.......I was an idiot.....and never happier to be an idiot!!

Well done, KU......well done indeed.

theend 9 years, 11 months ago

Where is moron "HiHawk"???? Probably upset KU didn't win by 50 points.