Drive. The road trip from Lawrence to St. Louis is an easy four hours and 46 minutes. If you're opposed to traveling past Columbia, Mo., feel free to book a flight. But be warned: A trip via air from Kansas City to St. Louis and back costs about $250 and takes about four hours each way because of out-of-the-way stopovers in cities like Memphis and Chicago.
Capacity: 66,000 (football).
History: Opened in 1995.
The Edward Jones Dome is located on the north side of downtown St. Louis, within walking distance of the famous Gateway Arch and a bustling section of downtown called Laclede’s Landing. The Lumiere Place Casino and Hotel is attached to the arena via pedestrian walkway. Just southeast of the casino are adult beverage establishments such as the Morgan Street Brewery, an expansive multi-level bar with a large outdoor patio, and the Big Bang Bar, featuring dueling piano players. Walk five blocks east from the arena and stroll down Commercial Street along the mighty Mississippi River. If you keep walking south for another half-mile, you can take a tram to the top of the 630-foot Gateway Arch. Parking (for a price) is not hard to come by in downtown St. Louis, and many attractions are within comfortable walking distance of the Edward Jones Dome.
• If the April showers don't arrive in late March, look no further than Forest Park for entertainment. At 1,300 acres, Forest Park is substantially larger than New York City's Central Park. The park is located about five miles west of downtown St. Louis.
Forest Park includes the following attractions, among others:
• If American-brewed beers are of interest, you might enjoy taking a tour through the Anheuser-Busch brewery, located at 12th and Lynch, several miles south of downtown.
• For a more family-friendly activity, check out Union Station, a sprawling mall and architectural beauty located just west of downtown.
• Millennium Hotel — $129/night — 200 South 4th St.
• Drury Hotel at the Arch — $129/night — 2 South 4th St.
• Hilton at the Ballpark — $122/night — 1 South Broadway
• Hyatt Regency at the Arch — $219/night — 315 Chestnut St.
• Renaissance Grand — $179/night — 800 Washington Ave.
• Chase Park Plaza — $209/night — 212 North Kingshighway Blvd.
• The Dubliner — Pub/Sports Bar — 1025 Washington Ave.
• Mosaic — Tapas/Spanish — 1101 Lucas Ave.
• Rooster — Brunch/Cafe — 1104 Locust St.
• Eau Bistro — French — 212 North Kingshighway Blvd.
• Wasabi — Sushi/Japanese — 1228 Washington Ave.